Groy will fill in perfectly at center

5 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Maybe we can give the FO some credit for matching the Rams' offer sheet before the center position became a crisis.

Particularly after they way they botched the Gillislee transaction.  He looked awesome in street clothes as a healthy scratch in the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

THIS - this is what I been saying ALL along - we have our center on the team already.  People soon forget what we have.  Not the leader Woods was but we have an awesome center here already.

...agree...he's done a solid job filling in when called upon.......then look for a versatile C/G late to learn from him........

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah QB for sure.    

DL if the right guys are there......but I have a feeling that the best pass rushing prospects.......or at least the ones that aren't off the Bills board for character issues...... will be gone by the Bills pick.

For sure...I've been thinking that they may end up grabbing a guy like Chad Thomas (just as an example) higher on day 2 than they'd like to just because the EDGE guys will go quickly.

Bad, bad year to need a pass rusher, which is why a guy like Quinn would make sense if LA releases him.

It's also why I'm coming around on the idea that they'll end up hanging onto Hughes, Lawson, and maybe even LorAx, just because they'll need warm bodies at the EDGE spots.

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

For sure...I've been thinking that they may end up grabbing a guy like Chad Thomas (just as an example) higher on day 2 than they'd like to just because the EDGE guys will go quickly.

Bad, bad year to need a pass rusher, which is why a guy like Quinn would make sense if LA releases him.

It's also why I'm coming around on the idea that they'll end up hanging onto Hughes, Lawson, and maybe even LorAx, just because they'll need warm bodies at the EDGE spots.

It would be great to move on from some of them, but there are just too many holes to fill with x amount of cap space and picks. I think they have to try to find the right balance if we trade or keep a Hughes based on what the trade value is. We could sure use a boat load of picks next year too...

Wow! Wood hasn't played well for years and Groy couldn't even beat him out. Now, all of a sudden he's a super star? Our OL, DL, LB's and WR's are all in need of an overhaul. Oh yeah, and we need a QB, backup RB and our FB had a terrible season as well. We may not draft an OL, but it's not because we don't need 2 or 3. Hopefully, Glenn returns to form after his latest foot surgery and Hughes gets some help. Lawson needs to step it up big time and Richie needs to keep up his level of play. Dawkins and Milano show some promise. Kyle will probably retire. Lorenzo had a subpar season as well. Beane is going to be a very busy man.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I could see them reaching for a guy *like* Chad Thomas(I really didn't like how he played at the U this year)......but I hope they don't draft a tarzan who plays like Jane unless they accumulate some more picks.   You get more from effort guys like Yarbrough and Davis than a disinterested specimen.

Yeah I would be surprised if they cut Hughes or Lorax.   Shaq I can see being traded for a 4th rounder or getting bumped inside or being kept at DE for competition........but unless he fixes that first step he's not going to have an impact as a pass rusher.

As Gunner knows my secret hope is that they sign Kony Ealy cheap and unlock his pass rush potential:devil:......he seemed to be a good team player for the Jets so maybe he's back in McD's character spectrum to at least give a look.

I'd love to have Quinn.   I feel like they won't cut him and actually think they could find at least a 3rd round taker for him in trade because of the dearth of available pass rushers.  Maybe the Bills swap the Eagles pick for Quinn. B-) Two $11M base salaries aren't bad.     

Backup Center is not a great starting center.  We literally lost the Seattle game because Groy had to play.  He was a revolving door out there at times and was a better G than C IMO.  We need a center.

i don’t want one in the first, and only seen one mock that had us taking one in first, but we need one none the less.

This OL is a terrible pass blocking OL and now we lost Wood, so it needs to be addressed and Groy isn’t the answer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Backup Center is not a great starting center.  We literally lost the Seattle game because Groy had to play.  He was a revolving door out there at times and was a better G than C IMO.  We need a center.

i don’t want one in the first, and only seen one mock that had us taking one in first, but we need one none the less.

This OL is a terrible pass blocking OL and now we lost Wood, so it needs to be addressed and Groy isn’t the answer.

I disagree

And we have seen several times where Wood did the exact same thing on the field....and was often overpowered by stronger DT's

5 hours ago, simool said:

You are spot on. I watched him play High School ball at Middleton and then watched him at UW.  I was screaming at the TV all last season for him to be plugged in at right guard.  Really hate that his break came this way, but he will make the most of it.  Just a solid guy all around.

They call him "Yorg" here in the land of cheese and large women.

Good play on letters yorG.

I really like how the Boy played when it got real and he played center. Also like him as a sixth. also was screaming for him to replace Ducasse.
I feel good with him taking over Center as a starter long term. I am fine with drafting a guard that can move to center day two or later.

Rather find someone in FA or in the building to replace Vlad and Jordan thank you very much.

4 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I am of this opinion as well......and he is an absolute mauler of a player.

Wood was smart and a leader and a good player....but a mauler he was not

this

3 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Anyone think it's a possibility Miller might get another shot? They're going back to more of a power run scheme. 

hope so. he is also a mauler

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

as a whole the O line need work. From Coaching on down to depth.

But yorG can play good football. i did pay attention and made note.

sure he got some whoopin's but i felt he had more physical upside than Wood who struggled with big strong tackles moving him off the ball.
 I hope Bills were growing him under McD and grooming him for this year regardless.
need 2 solid players who might start beyond Groy, and depth to groom. Depending on Cordy. that is going to be pivotal. I do not worry about Groy as you might

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I disagree about that Seattle game.   The Bills lost that game because of Jordan Mills.  I will never forget that last series........IMO it is the gold standard of poor pass blocking from the RT position.    Ryan Groy was excellent the rest of the season.  Better than Wood had played and better than Wood played this year. 

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Dude - seriously?  Did you not read or did you not comprehend the OP's post???  You confuse me.  None of the names you mention had anywhere near the SOLID experience and DEMONSTRATED results that Groy has.  Sorry for yelling but WTF!

Groy has more "SOLID experience and DEMONSTRATED results" than 2 Pro Bowl LGs (Ruben Brown, Richie Incognito) or a future HOF LT (Jason Peters) or one of the NFL's solid starting LTs (Cordy Glenn)?  Really?   Or were you referring to Langston Walker and/or Bennie Anderson?  Walker was a starting OT for 4 of his 9 NFL seasons with Oakland and the Bills.  Bennie Anderson was a five year NFL starter with Baltimore and the Bills.

Groy's "SOLID experience and DEMONSTRATED results" consists of playing in 41 games over 4 seasons, starting 11 of them.  He started 7 games in 2016 and 1 game in 2017 for the Bills because Wood was injured.  He's a backup who hasn't demonstrated that he can be a full time quality starter. 

7 hours ago, horned dogs said:

No way they can afford to draft a C/G in round 1. 

I don’t understand why we shouldn’t. 

We had wood for almost 10 years (really shoulda called a doctor) 

Travis Frederick is an excellent player who I doubt the Cowboys feel like they blew a first round pick on. 

Alex Mack is another first round center who has helped reshape what was a mess of an offensive line in Atlanta (drafted by Browns) 

Max Unger was a high second round selection and is another center who helped reshape a terrible offensive line in New Orleans. 

IMO all of these guys would be worth a top 20 pick in redrafts for sure. 

I would be 100% fine with drafting Billy Price in the first because winning football teams build from the trenches out

Edited by CDogg20
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Travis Frederick is an excellent player who I doubt the Cowboys feel like they blew a first round pick on. 

Alex Mack is another first round center who has helped reshape what was a mess of an offensive line in Atlanta (drafted by Browns) 

Max Unger was a high second round selection and is another center who helped reshape a terrible offensive line in New Orleans. 

I would be 100% fine with drafting Billy Price in the first because winning football teams build from the trenches out

Because they already have a good player in Groy to step in. They have a ton of other needs that are hard to come by. And, they can draft another center further down.

1 hour ago, CDogg20 said:

It's not a coincidence that 2 of those 3 centers you mentioned have changed teams.    

Better to use your top picks to build up the quality at big $ impact positions and then just pay straight cash for veteran center play if you need it.

The two centers in the SB were a 6th rounder and undrafted free agent, respectively.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Davis had some great plays too.   He's gonna win a roster spot again and rotate in behind Jerry.   Looked like our best pass rusher for a few games there.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not a coincidence that 2 of those 3 centers you mentioned have changed teams.    

Better to use your top picks to build up the quality at big $ impact positions and then just pay straight cash for veteran center play if you need it.

The two centers in the SB were a 6th rounder and undrafted free agent, respectively.

Hey I like Groy don’t get me wrong, but I think it would be wise to invest in a good center or guard. I think the offensive line is definitely all big impact positions. Good offensive lines almost always translate to success.

The Saints wanted a center so bad they traded Jimmy Graham for him and id say the Saints got the better end of the deal.