Time to rebuild

Just now, simool said:

I can relate.  For the first time, I believe the answer to your question is yes.  With a caveat... Pegula cannot get cold feet, he has to see it through.

Not being negative,  getting rid of Darby may have not been the best of moves because now you have to replace him.  We got a third round pick,  no guarantee that a third round pick will get you a starting corner.  

3 minutes ago, simool said:

I can relate.  For the first time, I believe the answer to your question is yes.  With a caveat... Pegula cannot get cold feet, he has to see it through.

Bottom line is when your best player Shaddy is 30 and you have no QB with holes at every position but DB and TE you have loads of work to do. 

10 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

I think he meant Tre White. :)

Yes i did

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not being negative,  getting rid of Darby may have not been the best of moves because now you have to replace him.  We got a third round pick,  no guarantee that a third round pick will get you a starting corner.  

Bottom line is when your best player Shaddy is 30 and you have no QB with holes at every position but DB and TE you have loads of work to do. 

Right - but we traded Watkins, Darby, Ragland, and Dareus last year... traded down for extra picks... weren't we re-building last year?  

On 2/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, Niagara Dude said:

They already replaced him with Gaines, assuming they resign him.  Then you gamble on a drafted DB.  Just because they got a 3rd in that swap does not mean they will wait until the 3rd to draft a DB.  Pretty tough to make judgements about any of their moves until this round of free agency and drafting is in the books.

Edited by simool

32 minutes ago, nuklz2594 said:

i am 54.  we have been attempting a rebuild for damn near 20 years.  the question is...does the owner, gm, and head coach have the same vision?  

I'd argue we've never honestly tried to rebuild.  Over the last 20 years we've rarely been in a position to draft top 5, never 1, and the times we have we never took a QB.  The only QBs we've drafted highly were in the middle/end of the 1st round (EJ / Losman) and even then everyone knew it was a reach taking them.  We've rarely traded veteran players for draft picks, instead either letting them walk in FA in their primes (and then drafting a replacement) or holding onto them until it was clear they had very little left.  Most of the teams over the last 20 years have been the same, good enough to be assured of 6 wins, bad enough to never win more than 9 games, ie never bad enough to completely turn off fans but never good enough to give legitimate hope of anything more than a token playoff appearance.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day it was great season and that the Bills made the playoffs,  anyone looking at this current roster can see the writing on the wall.  Only one very good player under the age of 25 on this team and loads of positions that need upgrades.  This includes

- Bills need a QB and this should be top priority this offseason

- Shaddy is 30 and we have no depth behind him

- Losing Wood hurts offensive line,  Incognito is 34 years old

- Kyle was our best DL and may retire,  

- One of the worst WR groups in the NFL

- LB position needs upgrading at all 3 spots

- The Bills only true very good player under 25 is our rookie  Tre White,  they do have very good safety play

You could argue that other Bills teams had more talent and never made the playoffs then this team,  either way there is lots to do and it all starts with the QB.  My fear is the Bills will be afraid to trade up to get the best QB then can because they have so many holes to fill on this roster.  Everyone knows it starts and ends with the QB

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.  Typical TBD optimism.  I love it.  The team made the playoffs.  How about we build on that instead of "rebuilding".  I contend that with a real QB this team may have gone to the SB this year.  We are very close.  Now is not the time to rebuild.  

-We will get a decent QB either in FA, trade or the draft

-Shady still has plenty left in the tank

-Groy will replace Wood and Incognito will be fine for at least another year.

-If Kyle retires, then we draft a DT, problem solved

-Kelvin Benjamin when healthy is one of the best WR in the game, Jordan Mathews is also very good when healthy.  Both were injured all year and Zay Jones will be in his second year and should be improved as well, so not as bad a group as you think

-LB can be had both in the draft and FA and I don't think we need to upgrade all three positions

-Tre White was an All Pro calibre player and so you need another CB, as you say, safety position looks good

None of this points to a rebuild, just a need for some depth.   

• Like (+1) 2

So, after squeaking into the playoffs as a WC with a 9-7 record after 17 years of missing them, the Bills should declare 2017 a "success" and immediately begin rebuiliding?  Seriously?  One wildcard game does NOT make a dynasty any more than a couple of good games does NOT make a QB's career.

I agree with Bandit27.  The Bills need to have a good draft, and they have enough picks to do that.  They also need to be smart about their own vets, including keeping the ones that they can't truly upgrade with reasonable FA acquisitions, something the Bills have repeatedly failed to do over the years. 

• IMO, the OL needs to be a priority on the offensive side since all offensive success is dependent upon that. They need to draft the best C or OG they can, hopefully on Day 1 but no later than Day 2.  Philly's OL is considered one of the very best if not the best OL in the NFL, and they played like it on Sunday night.  I'm not sure that Foles was even knocked down all game.
  • If a QB the Bills truly like falls to them, I'm not opposed to them taking him, but I surely don't want them trading up to take the fourth or fifth best QB prospect or taking a QB at 21 or 22 simply to say they took a QB.  They've tried both those routes before and got nothing but manure for their trouble.  They have too many holes to fill to waste high draft picks on a QB who's ceiling is "backup QB".  They can draft one of those on Day 2 or Day 3 if they want somebody better than Peterman (which I hope they do but they have bigger needs right now, so I wouldn't be upset if they didn't).
  • The reality is that cutting Taylor will cost $8+ million in dead cap money, so that has to be figured into the cost of any FA QB the Bills consider.   That seems likely to make Kirk Cousins prohibitively expensive for the Bills, even if Cousins passed on much more QB friendly situations in Denver or Minnesota to consider the Bills.  Keenum is probably an upgrade but I can't see Minnesota letting him walk while keeping Bradford and Bridgewater with their very questionable knees.  Most of the other potential FA QBs being mentioned are career backups, and not necessarily very good ones.  IMO, unless they can truly upgrade the QB position through FA, which will cost big bucks, the Bills need to bite the bullet, keep Taylor even if they draft a first round QB, and give him a system that fits his talents better as well as a better WR corps.  Spend the $ on the WRs, OLers, and a better RB than Tolbert.
  • On defense, the Bills need to upgrade DT and LB. Another edge rusher would be nice, too.  It generally takes 3-4 years to develop a DT, so FA might be a better bet than the draft unless there's a real stud available. Unfortunately, FA DTs are expensive, so wasting $$ on a FA QB who's not better than Taylor likely means that the Bills can't add a DT or edge rusher.  LBs tend to be easier to find and develop, so the Bills should probably look to the draft to upgrade that position.  The good news about the draft is that the Bills have so many holes that taking "best player available" when their turns come should be a no brainer.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Woodman19 said:

We are rebuilding... You don't have to dismantle a roster on purpose to build from within.  Tanking and rebuilding are two different things.

but how?  and are we willing to wait for 3 years to see the efforts if it pans out?

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

but how?  and are we willing to wait for 3 years to see the efforts if it pans out?

We are stockpiling picks and younger players that fit what we are trying to build, not unloading everyone with talent just to improve draft position a few spots.

50 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

really good take, it is so important to make that distinction ......

That's what happens when the grammatically-impaired don't bother with capitalization or other "niceties" of the English language -- it can change the meaning of the sentence entirely.  I had to read the sentence twice before I realized he meant Tre White.

12 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

We are stockpiling picks and younger players that fit what we are trying to build, not unloading everyone with talent just to improve draft position a few spots.

I like doing it that way, the fanbase wants to cut corners and deliver right now with a few sleight of hand moves

and i don't blame them if there is any hope, and there is a bit heading into the 2018 season...

1 hour ago, Woodman19 said:

We are rebuilding... You don't have to dismantle a roster on purpose to build from within.  Tanking and rebuilding are two different things.

I was going to post the exact same thing. We are in the mix of rebuilding since day 1 once McD took over. Let's see if they can get it right again this offseason. I would mark Offseason and draft 1 a success. Now it's time to address the most important position in football by this staff or drown.

As I see it, we stockpiled all these draft picks for a reason. Beane and Co. obviously are aware that their team has a lot of holes and they are going to need to spend wisely. That said, it's not doom and gloom. Some players will emerge, like Yarborough and Ryan Groy.