Why didn’t Belichick play Malcolm Butler?

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

where'd he get the doobie?   

Did he hit up some kid on a street corner, or did he bring his won on the Pats private jet 

Is this a FAKE news story?  where you heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend? 

Randy Guerrero told him it was TB12’s new  “dried kale snack”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the problem isn't doing bad things, it's wasting hours looking for it

one of us missed a salient point I believe. 

• Did he bring it with him from Boston? 
  • Did he spend hours looking for a joint?  (or did he ask the bellman to set him up) 

I would think that if he "got caught smoking a doobie" he would have never suited up for the game 

If there is any hint of truth to this ....  Christ man,   bring a batch of brownies from home.  

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Randy Guerrero told him it was TB12’s new  “dried kale snack”

Bravo!!! 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, simool said:

I think if "Robot Dave" is correct, who wouldn't expect Belicheck to react this way? It's one thing to break rules that are not clearly defined or those with no precedent established -- But to blatantly pull this crap on a Belicheck team?  He either thinks he is bigger than the team or he is a moron.

I second the questioning of "Robot Dave" as the inside source guy with 300 followers.

That said - Belichick created his dynasty in NE by creating "the Patriots way" where you follow the rules, get in the playbook, and work your a** off - or look for a new home.  So yes, absolutely, even some of the assertions such as late for team meetings or came in after curfew, I would expect to have a consequence and "next man up".  If they don't, the whole thing breaks down.  But Belichick said it was a coaching decision, and it might be.  Maybe he just felt Butler didn't measure up as well against the guys they were facing.

Other teams get into trouble by tolerating behavior from "stars" (like MD and MW) that they throw lesser guys off the bus for.

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

• Did he spend hours looking for a joint?  (or did he ask the bellman to set him up) 

I would think that if he "got caught smoking a doobie" he would have never suited up for the game 

If there is any hint of truth to this ....  Christ man,   bring a batch of brownies from home.  

Bravo!!! 

Casey Stengel said it wasn't pre-game nookie that wore out his players, it was wasting hours out in public trying to find it that made them tired for the game next day.

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Bravo!!! 

I’ve since learned his name is Alex Guerrero, not Randy. Whatever. Him too. 

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

Because he didn’t do anything in the last Super Bowl and barely played 97% of the snaps this year. 

Dumb question. 

Its a dumb question to ask why his 2nd best corner didn't start in the biggest game? He played just under 98 percent of snaps all year. That's a high percentage

6 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

You might probably be right on this but I wonder what you are basing it on in this thread.....

The Butler thing did happen?

I was responding to a Gilmore thread from yesterday. Guys were stating how they were happy that he didn't get a ring and how they hope that he never does.

I must've posted it here by mistake.

They might have won had they played Butler, he is their best corner. Although I think that Gilmore and Chung were more than solid the rest of the secondary stunk, the front 7 didn't stop the run well or get much of a pass rush. But one more good playmaker in the secondary might have made the difference in such a close game. The Pats* defense got exposed so Butler couldn't have hurt. 

9 hours ago, simpleman said:

Is this sarcasm? He has proven himself to be a top 10-15 corner multiple times. He is consistently doing what they ask of him. What do you base your view on that he needs to prove himself any more than most other NFL players have to. Yes, I wouldn't give him top 5 corner money, but he definitely is an excellent player. Never read he had a bad attitude or didn't give it his best effort. What negative actions has he done that you have you read about that makes you feel he needs a one year prove it deal?

He is going to want to be paid as a top 5 corner. Why would he settle for anything else.

Unfortunately, for him the Patriots don’t see him as one of the top CBs and they proved it by paying for Gilmore this offseason.

So he is going to need to take a 1 yr deal or take a below market long term deal which no agent would agree to.

Edited by billieve420

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

He is going to want to be paid as a top 5 corner. Why would he settle for anything else.

Unfortunately, for him the Patriots don’t see him as one of the top CBs and they proved it by paying for Gilmore this offseason.

So he is going to need to take a 1 yr deal or take a below market long term deal which no agent would agree to.

Normally I would agree with you but he's a Cheaters player and someone always overpays for them (and regrets it later).

19 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

IMO, it doesn't matter.  BB is who is he is because of his disciplinarian approach.  It's the reason he's a great coach.  Discipline over all.  You have to take the bad with the good.

Not unfair - I made similar points last night when people said the eagles took a bad risk on a play that didn’t work

likewise said it about the pick where Gilmore was wrestling Jeffrey— 

theres a degree of luck with regards to exactly when moves work and don’t work but when a guy is being who he is— you kind of have to accept the good and bad 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

IMO, it doesn't matter.  BB is who is he is because of his disciplinarian approach.  It's the reason he's a great coach.  Discipline over all.  You have to take the bad with the good.

Yup.  His system and style has won a lot of games and it succeeds because he doesn't make compromises.

• Like (+1) 1