Bud Carpenter has retired

elroy16

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Who clears injured players to play? I don't think it's Bud, it's the medical staff. No issues with Bud for me. 

No issues from me either, but I know Bud and his staff have been blamed for injuries in the past on here.

1 minute ago, elroy16 said:

No issues from me either, but I know Bud and his staff have been blamed for injuries in the past on here.

Rule of thumb for Bills fans:  Nothing is ever the player's fault unless his name is Marcel Dareus.

• Like (+1) 1

Already made some changes to medical staff last year as well

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Didn't someone say on here a while back that a long time employee from the training staff would "retire" but it would actually be a firing

Dunkirk Don - I think he was referring to overdorf based on the detail 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Already made some changes to medical staff last year as well

Dunkirk Don - I think he was referring to overdorf based on the detail 

I think their may be some truth to overdorf being let go, and he just decided to retire. Beane and McDermott are fully cleaning house. This Imo is the difference between the current coach and previous coaches. They're building this team properly. 

Bud has come a long way. He used to work at the athletic field house at SUNY Fredonia when I went there (1980 graduate).

Not sure if he wasn't more than just a grad student working a job there. He used to re-string racket ball rackets!

Anyway, when the Bills came to Fredonia State for training camp, somehow he latched on to the organization & worked his way up.

He also works as a trainer for the Boston Bruin's IIRC.  Nice career!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I think their may be some truth to overdorf being let go, and he just decided to retire. Beane and McDermott are fully cleaning house. This Imo is the difference between the current coach and previous coaches. They're building this team properly. 

Wait, what?  When?  Overdorf retired?    Missed this.

If there is a difference, it doesn't lie with the coach/GM but with the authority being given to the coach/GM.  Word was that Whaley and Marrone wanted to make changes to the training staff and FO and were not allowed to do so.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If there is a difference, it doesn't lie with the coach/GM but with the authority being given to the coach/GM.  Word was that Whaley and Marrone wanted to make changes to the training staff and FO and were not allowed to do so.

No he’s still here. But pegula left it up to Beane on whether to retain him, so the assumption is he will be gone eventually given Beane’s background in contracts and cap. Whaley had a scouting background so overdorf had a place.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bud has been around for 33 years and done a fine job. He’s in his 60’s and deserves to enjoy time with his family and friends. You don’t always get to pick when your time comes in the NFL and I’m glad Bud did. 

....agree.......and faulting him for injuries is nonsense.......thanks for your dedicated service.................

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe the pegulas are learning. Plus I'm pretty sure Russell Brandon was still a big part of the bills at that time. I'm willing to bet beane and McDermott pretty much have full control at OBD 

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Maybe the pegulas are learning. Plus I'm pretty sure Russell Brandon was still a big part of the bills at that time. I'm willing to bet beane and McDermott pretty much have full control at OBD 

I’ve said it a zillion times here but no one ever believes me. RB’s role is virtually the same as it has always been. He was once over football ops but didn’t make any football decisions. Marv Levy was the same way. They had people that reported to them that did but had 100% autonomy to make those decisions. He was the acting owner for a period. Prior to that Littman was the acting owner. If you think about the decisions that an owner has to make that was his role. You don’t see owner’s scouting and selecting players (except Jerry Jones who was the GM and comes from a football background). The majority empower their people to do it. It was the exact same situation.

Everyone assumes that there has been some big massive change. There has been in some ways. The Bills have active owners now. Terry  is filling the role that Russ filled not McDermott. Russ is back to running the business side of things which is what he really did the whole time. He delegates some of that during his time as de facto owner to Wheat, Honan, Popka, Guelli, etc... 

Without sounding like a jerk, I’m telling the truth. I know a ton of people over there on all sides of the operation. It’s not true that Russ or Marv ever made real football decisions. The football side was owned by John Guy and Tom Modrak. 

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Let’s put him on the wall too.

Ed Abramoski was the head trainer for 37 years and is on the Wall. 

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Rule of thumb for Bills fans:  Nothing is ever the player's fault unless his name is Marcel Dareus.

For Dareus to be at fault does it have to be Dareus specific, or can the QB situation be blamed on him as well?  Actually... dead money... the QB situation CAN BE partly Dareus's fault.  Mother******! Mr. Big Puff strikes again!

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Bud has come a long way. He used to work at the athletic field house at SUNY Fredonia when I went there (1980 graduate).

Not sure if he wasn't more than just a grad student working a job there. He used to re-string racket ball rackets!

Anyway, when the Bills came to Fredonia State for training camp, somehow he latched on to the organization & worked his way up.

He also works as a trainer for the Boston Bruin's IIRC.  Nice career!

He was there already when we got there in 1976. He ran the intramurals programs and we became friends. He got me tickets to Bills games in various cities over the years. He's a really great, generous guy. Congrats, Bud.