The Cousins Plan

So are we to assume that washington had one of the worst rosters in the league??? Cuz if not then Cousins is not a good QB despite putting up yards.

Mr 7-9 8-8 9-7 isnt exactly a winner. Paying him a zillion dollars will solidify the Bills mediocrity for the next decade. 

Lets get our own QB..not little danny's rejects.

There are always excuses for mediocre QBs..injuries etc.But in fact the good QBs offset and overcome these things.

Do we really want Phillip Rivers light?

36 minutes ago, Tcali said:

So are we to assume that washington had one of the worst rosters in the league??? Cuz if not then Cousins is not a good QB despite putting up yards.

Mr 7-9 8-8 9-7 isnt exactly a winner. Paying him a zillion dollars will solidify the Bills mediocrity for the next decade. 

There are always excuses for mediocre QBs..injuries etc.But in fact the good QBs offset and overcome these things.

What do you think are our alternatives?  I tried to buy Essence of Freeze Dried Kurt Warner at Quik-trip so I could FedEx it off to McDermott along with a New American Bible and a gift circ. for 40 L of holy water, but they said they were right out and unsure when the next shipment was due.

• Haha (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Tcali said:

The AFC is so much worse than the NFC right now. The three good QBs are old, Luck is injured, and so is Watson. All of the other QBs suck. This team wins 11 games with Cousins next year in my opinion. How fun would it be watching a 4000+ yard passing attack? How fun would it be watching Shady run against defences not stacking the box? How great would it be watching QBs have to throw against our secondary because we have the lead?

The tough part is going to be convincing him to come here. I think Cousins will like McDermott, Beane, and the Pegula's. If Bills fans role out the red carpet we may have a chance. Cousins is going to be paid, he wants to be appreciated and he deserves to be.

42 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Cousins would be my first option, he reminds me of Favre. I think he is special. If Cousins signs somewhere else, it better not be because we didn't try. I am ok with failure if you tried your absolute best, but failing because you did not try I can not tolerate.

I agree, it is not every day a good QB is a free agent. The only other time I remember a young Pro bowl QB available in free agency was Brees. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One, I am not suggesting get rid of Glenn, wrote it right in the post you responded to.  I said there is a lot of talk they have already shopped Glenn and are going to shop him again.  And given how aggressive Beane has been at getting rid of big contracts, its certainly got credibility as a real possibility.  Two, I bring up that game because it was that bad.  Three, I don't want to hear this excuse of "came in on the fly"...he should have been FRESH compared to the other players on the field and had an advantage and still got destroyed.  Four, Groy was still rotating in that game across the line in sub packages, so just further erodes the "on the fly" excuse.  And Five, he wasn't very good in pass protection anytime he played.  He was actually better at Guard than he was at Center (which is the position you think he should be a starter at now that Wood is gone).  

And again, I don't care about the time TT holds the ball, it has nothing to do with the quality of pass protection.  The stat sheet on that is highly skewed and is in no way a barometer on how well the line holds up.  TT has a long hold time for a lot of reasons...and one of those reason is that the OL stinks and he frequently is running for his life.  TT does hold the ball long compared to many, but you are mistakenly applying that to ONLY mean he drops back, has all kinds of time with great protection and still doesn't throw.  This isnt even remotely close to accurate of what happens from play to play.

Sure, there are times where TT had good protection and could have gotten the ball out sooner.  But that is not the norm, TT is constantly under pressure and takes big shots all the time or is out there buying time with his legs which raises the stat of how long he holds the ball.  I just don't understand how anyone can actually watch the game and think the OL is good, doesn't matter how much anyone doesn't like TT, the OL needs serious help in pass protection.  

Even more funny, is that you completely disregard how bad the OL protected Peterman too, even making new excuses for the OL of why they don't protect Peterman either.  In fact, in all these constant examples of how the OL hasn't been good, you just make excuses to justify it.  You still haven't answered my question I asked multiple times about the Jets game. For me it was tied with the single worst OL performance I have ever seen...the only other game I remember that kind of dominance was when the Redskins ate the Raider line for lunch and destroyed Carr.  

OL needs significant improvement in pass protection, especially if we bring in Cousins or some shiny rookie that cant buy time with their legs.  Dont want our expensive QB getting killed in Cousins or our expensive rookie having his growth messed with because we cant protect him.

I realize u don't understand what I'm saying here first off i believe our line is at least middle of the pack pass blocking wise and run blocking there top 5 so there not as bad as u make them out to be. 

If we keep Cordy we could have one of the best combination of tackles in the NFL. We might need a guard on the right side if Miller doesn't return to form. But otherwise i don't mind going with Incog and Groy at C and LG. 

U keep bringing up the Chargers and Jets games but i don't see u putting any blame on Castillo for leaving these guys on a island and not double teaming Bosa. Especially during the Chargers gm most teams can't single block those guys.

Now u bring up the Jets gm saying u didn't see much worse this yr. Well u must not watch alot of football.  I got 4 tvs going on sundays and i can tell u i seen alot worse this season from many teams.  

I admit Tyrod buys time with his legs at times.  But he also gets sacked holding onto the ball way to long way to much. Especially when he's getting rushed and forced to stay in the pocket. Against the Pats, Saints and Jets he had his worst gms because they made him a pocket passer. Hes not good enough to make teams pay from the pocket actually he's pretty poor at that.  Tyrod has piss poor pocket awareness most times he can step up and deliver the ball in a timely matter but he's just not capable of doing this. 

Lastly although Tyrod does pull a houdinie and runs around and alludes pressure every now and then there's also other ways to allud pressure that he's just not capable of like Releasing and finding open receivers quickly and pocket awareness  like i said previously . So at the end of the day we can work with what we got. We have way more holes to fill rather then trying to perfect a postion that we are solid at . We have 1 corner on our roster , major holes at LB and DT , Wr and RB . We got needs everywhere. If u look at the roster as a hole u might find that actually the oline is the strength of this team. I know it sounds crazy but break it down .

On 1/30/2018 at 2:44 AM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

If they trade up to #3 or #4 , its gonna cost them 3 firsts , 21,22 and 1 in 2019 so with that how do we fill our needs then.  Via free agency right.  We are gonna spend the money anyways. In this case id rather spend it on the QB.  QBs especially the good ones and there hardly available via  free agency there usually great pkups even though u might be overspending some. There are far more big money signings that flat out bust at other positions.  Look at Suh or Haynesworth,  Mario etc,  etc 

The price for them 3 firsts are low cost players that fit needs immediately.  I'd rather have Cousins and my 5pks . Then Mayfield and some extremely overpaid free agents.  We all know big name free agents don't come to Buffalo unless we are severely overpaying.

I agree , But you think it will cost that much for say a trade up to 6 or 7 ? 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

We should just sign Cousins and try to build a monster around him.  Honestly, I just need to see a good passing offense for the first time since Bledsoe.  Sign Cousins and you know you have at least a good QB and don't have to sit through another season of not having a 300 yard game and regular games under 200 yards passing.  It's brutal as a fan.  Plus there is chance Cousins hasn't reached his full potential yet.  He could definitely just be entering his prime.  

In a couple of years when Brady is done, the league is going to be wide open.  You don't need an elite QB to win it all.  We won't see the likes of Brady again.  Go get Cousins and if you draft well, I think the Bills are Super Bowl contenders as early as the 2019 season. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

if i'm buffalo...

I sign Cousins to $30 mil/yr AND draft Mason Rudolph at #21

Why?

If you land cousins there is zero need for this 

Cousins is 28, and has proven to be durable.

He'll be 29 in August.

Any Kirk deal will have to be minimum 4 years, most likely 5.

Why reach and waste #21 on a QB who won't ever see the field for a least 4 years.

22 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

We should just sign Cousins and try to build a monster around him.  Honestly, I just need to see a good passing offense for the first time since Bledsoe.  Sign Cousins and you know you have at least a good QB and don't have to sit through another season of not having a 300 yard game and regular games under 200 yards passing.  It's brutal as a fan.  Plus there is chance Cousins hasn't reached his full potential yet.  He could definitely just be entering his prime.  

It a couple of years when Brady is done, the league is going to be wide open.  You don't need an elite QB to win it all.  We won't see the likes of Brady again.  Go get Cousins and if you draft well, I think the Bills are Super Bowl contenders as early as the 2019 season. 

Hell, they are contenders next year when Grandpa tom breaks a hip trying to do the Charleston on the podium at the Superbowl victory party next week

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tcali said:

Yes, this is exactly what I keep saying. Why would you pay a guy this money who will likely win you no more games, or possibly even LESS games than Tyrod could?

He might look better losing and throw for 300 yards a lot but you don't get to the playoffs on 300 yard passing games...you get there with wins.

I dont see any evidence that Cousins will win us more games than Tyrod has...in fact I see evidence that he would win us less games because we would have to shed contracts making the roster weaker and there is nothing he has done in Washington to make me think he is a guy who is going to win ganes by himself like a franchise QB has to do at times...

Edited by matter2003

56 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Why?

If you land cousins there is zero need for this 

Cousins is 28, and has proven to be durable.

He'll be 29 in August.

Any Kirk deal will have to be minimum 4 years, most likely 5.

Why reach and waste #21 on a QB who won't ever see the field for a least 4 years.

Hell, they are contenders next year when Grandpa tom breaks a hip trying to do the Charleston on the podium at the Superbowl victory party next week

...perfectly stated assessment IMO.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
8 hours ago, Tcali said:

The Redskins were ranked #21 overall in defensive yards allowed and dead last, # 32 against the run.  They were 27th in points per game allowed.  Their run offense was 29th in the league.  Also Trent Williams, the Redskins starting left tackle, who is their best lineman and one of the very best in the league was injured much of the year and finished the season on IR.  Same thing with Jordan Reed who was Cousins best receiving option.

The Redskins were the worst running team in the NFL, bottom 6 in points allowed and also a bottom  5 in run defense.  The two most important offensive players besides Cousins are injured pretty much all year.  Yet with with no running game and having to rely on Jamison Crowder, semi-bust Josh Doctson and the 90 year old Vernon Davis, Cousins still threw for 4093 yards, 27 TD's with 13 INT's and a completion percentage of 64.3 %.  

I can understand why some people might not Cousins.  The money being the biggest factor.  That said, I believe there are a lot of people dismissing him that have no idea about the situation in Washington, which wasn't great and have not seen him play much.  He is a top 10 QB in the league and far better than anything we have had in Buffalo for awhile.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Cousins is gonna get a ridiculous payday which is why I think the Redskins moved on.   Three straight years of over 4000 yards, basically a 3:1 total TD:INT ratio.   It may be the right thing to do but he is gonna be a cap nightmare for whoever signs him.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Yes, this is exactly what I keep saying. Why would you pay a guy this money who will likely win you no more games, or possibly even LESS games than Tyrod could?

He might look better losing and throw for 300 yards a lot but you don't get to the playoffs on 300 yard passing games...you get there with wins.

I dont see any evidence that Cousins will win us more games than Tyrod has...in fact I see evidence that he would win us less games because we would have to shed contracts making the roster weaker and there is nothing he has done in Washington to make me think he is a guy who is going to win ganes by himself like a franchise QB has to do at times...

U got to be kidding right? Tyrod wasn't the reason we won 9 gms this yr. When we created 2 or more turnovers a gm we averaged nearly 25pts per gm.  1 or less 12.9. 

33 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The Redskins were ranked #21 overall in defensive yards allowed and dead last, # 32 against the run.  They were 27th in points per game allowed.  Their run offense was 29th in the league.  Also Trent Williams, the Redskins starting left tackle, who is their best lineman and one of the very best in the league was injured much of the year and finished the season on IR.  Same thing with Jordan Reed who was Cousins best receiving option.

The Redskins were the worst running team in the NFL, bottom 6 in points allowed and also a bottom  5 in run defense.  The two most important offensive players besides Cousins are injured pretty much all year.  Yet with with no running game and having to rely on Jamison Crowder, semi-bust Josh Doctson and the 90 year old Vernon Davis, Cousins still threw for 4093 yards, 27 TD's with 13 INT's and a completion percentage of 64.3 %.  

I can understand why some people might not Cousins.  The money being the biggest factor.  That said, I believe there are a lot of people dismissing him that have no idea about the situation in Washington, which wasn't great and have not seen him play much.  He is a top 10 QB in the league and far better than anything we have had in Buffalo for awhile.  

He also played more then a Quarter of the season missing 4 starters on the Oline. He showed his worth this yr more then any other yr. He basically had a whole new Wr core to work with and was still very good.  That's a great sign of him being a franchise QB  it shows u his weapons don't make he make them. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Why didn't u bring up Brees while your at it considering the Saints weren't good for nearly 4yrs before they finally gave him a D to work with and a running gm.  

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

8 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I realize u don't understand what I'm saying here first off i believe our line is at least middle of the pack pass blocking wise and run blocking there top 5 so there not as bad as u make them out to be. 

If we keep Cordy we could have one of the best combination of tackles in the NFL. We might need a guard on the right side if Miller doesn't return to form. But otherwise i don't mind going with Incog and Groy at C and LG. 

U keep bringing up the Chargers and Jets games but i don't see u putting any blame on Castillo for leaving these guys on a island and not double teaming Bosa. Especially during the Chargers gm most teams can't single block those guys.

Now u bring up the Jets gm saying u didn't see much worse this yr. Well u must not watch alot of football.  I got 4 tvs going on sundays and i can tell u i seen alot worse this season from many teams.  

I admit Tyrod buys time with his legs at times.  But he also gets sacked holding onto the ball way to long way to much. Especially when he's getting rushed and forced to stay in the pocket. Against the Pats, Saints and Jets he had his worst gms because they made him a pocket passer. Hes not good enough to make teams pay from the pocket actually he's pretty poor at that.  Tyrod has piss poor pocket awareness most times he can step up and deliver the ball in a timely matter but he's just not capable of doing this. 

Lastly although Tyrod does pull a houdinie and runs around and alludes pressure every now and then there's also other ways to allud pressure that he's just not capable of like Releasing and finding open receivers quickly and pocket awareness  like i said previously . So at the end of the day we can work with what we got. We have way more holes to fill rather then trying to perfect a postion that we are solid at . We have 1 corner on our roster , major holes at LB and DT , Wr and RB . We got needs everywhere. If u look at the roster as a hole u might find that actually the oline is the strength of this team. I know it sounds crazy but break it down .

All good man, we have very different opinions of the the pass protection abilities of our OL and needs.  We both said our sides, so we will have to agree to disagree.  No issue with you feeling different about it, but I just have a very strong opinion it is weak and needs improvement.  

And sounds like a good setup, I have 3 TVs in my living room myself and always have 3 games on during football.  Got usually 2 games (usually based on my fantasy teams lol) on the two 50” TVs (or sometimes the Redzone on one) and then the Bills on my big 70” TV every Sunday.  So if the Bills are pissing me off I turn my attention to hopefully a good fantasy football day on the others hahaha.  When they both suck it’s a long day hahaha.  

Cheers, GO EAGLES!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:41 AM, GunnerBill said:

Oh he won't. I am convinced Cousins ends up in Denver. Elway is starting to face questions about his job... he is not going to risk missing on a 1st round QB twice in 3 years. He is going to throw cash at the problem. 

Elway has preferred an established guy over rookie throughout his tenor. I think he knows that it is harder to develop a QB although I would then say he isn't the GM genius some hinted at the same point if he find talent either.