Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

This is not a good post. Eric Woods played very well this year and the contract was fair for both parties barring the injury which certainly nobody knew about. To accuse any medical staff of letting a player continue to play football with a life threatening issue is irresponsible. 

Yeah Hope they give other 30 plus players coming off IR a contract that guarantees his salary in year two of the two year extension for Injury. We will he SuperBowl winners in no time 

Just now, John from Hemet said:

I actually think its a good point.....that franchise qb would take up a lot more of your cap then Wood did here

How often to QBs get hit? How often do Centers?

risk reward which player coming off IR has more of a chance to get injured in the future?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah Hope they give other 30 plus players coming off IR a contract that guarantees his salary in year two of the two year extension for Injury. We will he SuperBowl winners in no time 

We are not talking about 30 other players. We are talking about Eric Woods who played every snap in 2017.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I'm not going to argue that the Bills didn't/don't need an upgrade at center because I agree that they have needed that for a while.   I have been arguing since last summer that the interior of the Bills OL needs upgrading and/or better depth because of age and talent level not to mention how frequently OLers get hurt, as Glenn has shown. 

That Wood was never as good a center as Glenn was a left tackle doesn't mean he wasn't worth extending.   There may have not been any better options either on the team or available on the FA market.   His deal might very well be the going rate for a starting NFL center. 

My argument is simply that complaining that Wood's contract was "bad" because of his injury is nothing more than hindsight. 

I completely understand you point. I agree that calling it a bad contract after the injury is unfair, but I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize the extension based on his play. We have needed an upgrade at that position for a while. The contract made it seem as if that wasn’t part of the plan. 

Just now, Bills Pimpin' said:

We are not talking about 30 other players. We are talking about Eric Woods who played every snap in 2017.

And in 2016 finished in IR that landed him a contract extension that guarantees 2018 salary for INJ. 

So lets give all players that are over 30 years old coming off IR extensions with big future INJ guarantees and tell me how that works out

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He broke his fibula.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And in 2016 finished in IR that landed him a contract extension that guarantees 2018 salary for INJ. 

So lets give all players that are over 30 years old coming off IR extensions with big future INJ guarantees and tell me how that works out

We are not talking about all players. We are talking about Eric Woods. 

8 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Wood was absolutely not a bottom tier center....that is bs

Fair enough, pardon my hyperbolic reaction. I’m confident in placing him as a middle of the pack center though. He’s just not at the level many see him as being. He had a few really good seasons, but there has been a decline. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He broke his fibula.  

Cool. He was coming off IR right?

so is it smart to give an aging OL that has snapped his leg twice now in his career and has been hurt others a contract extension that Guarantees his year 2 salary for INJ?

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because at his age and with his history.......you let his contract play out and go from there.   

Especially with a potentially solid replacement like Groy under contract for 2018.:doh:  

Wood is a nice guy but he was not missed one bit when he was out in 2016 so extending him the following summer was a head scratcher.    

Yup.  It was a very puzzling extension when it was done, made worse by Wood's unfortunate injury turn.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

so is it smart to give an aging OL that has snapped his leg twice now in his career and has been hurt others a contract extension that Guarantees his year 2 salary for INJ?

Stop perseverating on him coming off of IR. It was for a broken fibula. It’s a mostly non-weight-bearing bone of the leg. It’s not a big deal If it heals right, which obviously it did.

Was he hurt and IR in 2016? Yes or No. very simple

and once you answer that is it smart to give a player gettinf over an INJ and has had INJ history big INJ Guarantees two years away from signing extension?

very simple questions 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Was he hurt and IR in 2016? Yes or No. very simple

and once you answer that is it smart to give a player gettinf over an INJ and has had INJ history big INJ Guarantees two years away from signing extension?

very simple questions 

Broken bones are nothing injuries MAJ.  Even you know this. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Broken bones are nothing injuries MAJ.  Even you know this. 

Again can you asnwer the very simple questions 

yeah they are nothing ask Romo is a broken bone is nothing 

Edited by MAJBobby

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes I think it was smart.  You are talking about a player that escaped a 4 year high school career and 4 year college career with no injuries. His first leg break in 09 was no fault of his or him being injury prone, the Jags DT ran into him and Wood suffered a compound fracture to his leg (tibia and fibula). Not an easy injury to come back from, but he did. His second leg break in 16 was again a defender falling into his leg was the culprit... This one looked absolutely brutal.  Not only does he come back from it, he ends up playing every snap.  Then he fails his post season physical with a degenerative neck issue which undoubtedly was caused by his profession.

So we have established he is not injury prone, none of his previous injuries were reoccuring, and by all accounts the man was a leader on and off the field and had the respect of every single player in the locker room.

Your take is hog crap.  You resign that guy everytime, its very simple. Especially because the whole point was to gain some flexibility cap wise. 

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, simool said:

Yes I think it was smart.  You are talking about a player that escaped a 4 year high school career and 4 year college career with no injuries. His first leg break in 09 was no fault of his or him being injury prone, the Jags DT ran into him and Wood suffered a compound fracture to his LEFT leg (tibia and fibula). Not an easy injury to come back from, but he did. His second leg break in 16 was his RIGHT leg and again a defender falling into his leg was the culprit... This one looked absolutely brutal.  Not only does he come back from it, he ends up playing every snap.  Then he fails his post season physical with a degenerative neck issue which undoubtedly was caused by his profession.

So we have established he is not injury prone, none of his previous injuries were reoccuring, and by all accounts the man was a leader on and off the field and had the respect of every single player in the locker room.

Your take is hog crap.  You resign that guy everytime, its very simple. Especially because the whole point was to gain some flexibility cap wise. 

So its Smart signing a over 30 year old Center that has had INJ history (9 year career and 4 years this year being one with all 16 games played) so in more than half of his career he has missed games due to INJ and extension that Guarantees his pay 2 years down the line for INJ?  Wow

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh the good Soldier Contracts. I am sick of them. They are players Employees. And a player thay is older coming off IR should not be given big INJ guarantees. But glad Jim the untouchable gets to stick around regime after regime and the player favored contracts just keep coming and coming. Eric being the latest. 

I will agree that the Bills write bad contracts, but my problem isn't players getting injured.   How come other teams manage to pay several premier players at the same time and still manage to keep several of their home-grown vets coming off their rookie contracts but the Bills "can't afford" to keep most of the good young vets they develop even though they aren't paying for a premier QB and pass rusher?  That should be what chaps Bills fans' butts not that the Bills gave a contract to solid player who then suffered a career ending injury.

BTW, Wood was 30 or 31 which is not all that "old" for an OLer who often play into their mid thirties and beyond.

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I will agree that the Bills write bad contracts, but my problem isn't players getting injured.   How come other teams manage to pay several premier players at the same time and still manage to keep several of their home-grown vets coming off their rookie contracts but the Bills "can't afford" to keep most of the good young vets they develop even though they aren't paying for a premier QB and pass rusher?  That should be what chaps Bills fans' butts not that the Bills gave a contract to solid player who then suffered a career ending injury.

BTW, Wood was 30 or 31 which is not all that "old" for an OLer who often play into their mid thirties and beyond.

Yepper!

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

When did your incredulity begin bobby? Were you smart enough to get pissed at the time of the extension or is this just a weak attempt to throw stones? 

43 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It is old when you consider before signing the contract he has played 8 years and only 3 of those years he started 16 games. So when you look at that along with Two broken legs it was rather asnine to give any INJ guarantees in the out years no matter how Solid someone is or isnt. 

Is INJ guarantees should have been tied to a trigger ie 4.8M of the 2018 salery gets Guaranteed for INJ 3 days after new year. Or tie it to start of OTAs. Heck explore tieing it to a physical. Blanket INJ Guarantee for a player that has missed alot of games over a 8 year (at the time career) is asnine and again a Player Friendly Contract comes back to bite them 

22 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

When did your incredulity begin bobby? Were you smart enough to get pissed at the time of the extension or is this just a weak attempt to throw stones? 

Hated the extension from Jump. It was un-needed and rush to judgement just like another extension that occured not to long ago (at least that one they built in some protections)

if they handled this like they did InCognito extension a bit ago they wouldnt be eating 8+M in dead cap right now. 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hated the extension from Jump. It was un-needed and rush to judgement just like another extension that occured not to long ago (at least that one they built in some protections)

if they handled this like they did InCognito extension a bit ago they wouldnt be eating 8+M in dead cap right now. 

link?

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made against the extension the team offered Wood. We had just signed Groy, who had performed well in Wood's absence. Even at the time, there were a lot of us who felt the guarantee to Wood was perplexing at best and mind numbing at worst.

Edited by Lothar
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There was no good reason to extend his contract.

Is this a joke?

how about - he’s been a very good center for us since we drafted him?  

I thought that was a good reason to extend players?

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

link?

Link to what that i didnt like the extension from Jump. Go look. Once you get through my TT posts you will see it 

1 minute ago, Bakin said:

Is this a joke?

Should have been Handled like InCognito contract extension. 

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Link to what that i didnt like the extension from Jump. Go look. Once you get through my TT posts you will see it 

Should have been Handled like InCognito contract extension. 

Which was how?

and if Cogs suffered a career ending medical after first year of his contract, then what?

wood was on a 2 year 16M extension. 

He played every game this year. Every snap. 

In fact he’s started and played every game in 4 of the last 5 years. 

What you are talking about is just silly hindsight. 

10 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Is this a joke?

MAJ and BADOL are a couple of the resident trolls. No one is quite sure if they're masterful caricatures of idiot fans or just idiots. 

3 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Which was how?

and if Cogs suffered a career ending medical after first year of his contract, then what?

wood was on a 2 year 16M extension. 

He played every game this year. Every snap. 

In fact he’s started and played every game in 4 of the last 5 years. 

What you are talking about is just silly hindsight. 

Let him play his contract out. Go to Combine gauge market and sign to an extension before UFA. 

Just like they did with InCognito. 

Fact is at the time of the extension he was coming off IR and only was able to start in 16 games 3 of 8 years in the league. 

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

MAJ and BADOL are a couple of the resident trolls. No one is quite sure if they're masterful caricatures of idiot fans or just idiots. 

Trolls because I question some idiotic decisions?

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Let him play his contract out. Go to Combine gauge market and sign to an extension before UFA. 

Just like they did with InCognito. 

Fact is at the time of the extension he was coming off IR and only was able to start in 16 games 3 of 8 years in the league. 

Trolls because I question some idiotic decisions?

He actually started all 16 games in 4 of the last 5 years.  So unusual of you to disregard facts when making your baseless accusations.  

3 minutes ago, Original Byrd Man said:

He actually started all 16 games in 4 of the last 5 years.  So unusual of you to disregard facts when making your baseless accusations.  

Twist it how you want. Before extension three 16 game seasons in a 8 year career and coming off IR. 

Fact

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodEr20.htm

I know hard concept to grasp what he did this season had NO INFLUENCE on the extension

Edited by MAJBobby

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals?

Not sure about your premise there, Robert. 

(Doubt it was)

Oh. You’re just answering your own questions?

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

Cool, I’ll hit the lights on my way out then. 

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

Not sure about your premise there, Robert. 

Oh. You’re just answering your own questions?

Cool, I’ll hit the lights on my way out then. 

Cool Peace glad you gave some light into the conversation that insued after the initial post 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

giphy.gif

My meaning is that Wood is a mascot like figure to many fans. He has a larger than life goofy image with his big hair and everything. He’s been a fan favorite since he’s been here. People have gravitated towards his Andy Griffith like persona. This has caused the majority of this board to overrate his play based on their personal like of him. With that said, I wish him all the best. His injury was a very unfortunate end to his career. 

• Like (+1) 1