Pre-Combine and FA Mock

H2o

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You could do it like they used to with Mario or Bruce and just do it on passing downs? Just a thought

I think they were already starting to do that some before he got injured.  I can certainly see more of that, but not sure they will go the every down starter route. 

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Drafting DT & DT in the first sounds far-fetched, even though it sounds nice.

I just cannot fathom the Bills not addressing QB at either one of those picks, or at least no later than Round 2.

Unless they land Kirk Cousins.

Exactly, I can see a DT and a MLB in those spots but not addressing quarterback in the first two rounds is absurd. The only way I can see that as if they swing a deal for Alex Smith, or Nick Foles. Even then you got to draft a quarterback of the future while these bridge quarterbacks school him.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d probably prefer Edmunds over Payne and a different QB than Benkert, but this isn’t too bad and I definitely prefer this over a “Rudolph in the first” mock.

I like the Nyheim pick a lot; I think he’s pretty much a perfect 3rd down back that can spell McCoy. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they were already starting to do that some before he got injured.  I can certainly see more of that, but not sure they will go the every down starter route. 

I guess that it boils down to “are you better off with Davenport on the outside and Shaq on the inside or Vea on the inside and Shaq on the outside?” If Shaq is as versatile as it seems he might be they can take the better player. I would imagine that the pass rush would be better with Davenport on the outside and the run defense better with Vea on the inside. If you can’t have both which is the preference?

I see one quality DT signed in FA (Lotulelei), and one drafted in the first 4 picks. It is intoxicating to think of 2 stud first round draft picks playing DT. Then when everything settles down, you realize that is not the game anymore with the draft, FA, and the cap especially - balance is required. Especially for a team that needs to fill alot of holes and get a QB.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

I would try to get Alex Smith for a 3rd rd and take a qb without moving up. 

If the new scouts can really id a good QB try to move up. It's going to take a few good years of drafting to fill all the holes . 

....I'm on board with your plan.........would like to get Alex under contract for a 2nd year so he develops the new 1st rounder and Peterman.............

i would prefer vea 21 then davenport22. i'd also like to hope that adolphus takes a step up with vea next to him. i like shaq on the end but could work the rookie in on passing downs. better dline play instantly improves our lbs. maybe lb can be addressed in fa.

i would probably also take rudolph and washington with the second round picks then fill out with bpa oline, db and running back.

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Exactly, I can see a DT and a MLB in those spots but not addressing quarterback in the first two rounds is absurd. The only way I can see that as if they swing a deal for Alex Smith, or Nick Foles. Even then you got to draft a quarterback of the future while these bridge quarterbacks school him.

What if there's no one that they feel is a QB of the future? You don't throw away a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB who is unworthy just because people on a message board say you should. :thumbsup:

I don't think Mason Rudolph is worth #21 or #22. What if that is Beane's opinion as well? Someone will likely take him before either of our 2nd Round picks though just because that is what teams do. Even then I don't think he would end up being "the guy". 

I would rather go 1 DT and grab Star in free agency to fill out the other spot, you could find a quality DT in the free agent market since there are a lot of quality DT's out on the market, Bills would be foolish not grab at least one. Then you have another 1st round pick to go out and spend on a QB or another roster spot. 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I would rather go 1 DT and grab Star in free agency to fill out the other spot, you could find a quality DT in the free agent market since there are a lot of quality DT's out on the market, Bills would be foolish not grab at least one. Then you have another 1st round pick to go out and spend on a QB or another roster spot. 

I wouldn't mind Star either as long as we are not overpaying. He didn't rank very highly among DT's the last couple of years. He actually graded out at 109 this year of the qualifiers which was poor. 

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

I wouldn't mind Star either as long as we are not overpaying. He didn't rank very highly among DT's the last couple of years. He actually graded out at 109 this year of the qualifiers which was poor. 

Star is a run stuffer and a space eater. I too was puzzled by his PFF grade as he seems to be well liked and respected by Panthers fans. But when talking to some knowledgeable Panther fans and they told me that Star is indeed a good run stuffer who holds steady against a lot of double teams.His poor PFF grade stems from the fact that he doesn't rush the passer and he doesn't penetrate the line of scrimmage much on run plays. But he holds the line against a lot of double teams which is a very valuable thing. He is kind of what Dareus was the first 7 games of the season just a big guy taking up space in the middle. But of course Star will come at a much cheaper price and is a well respected locker room guy. 

I think Star could be had at a contract in the range of 5-6 average annual value and for a good run stuffing anchor that's a solid deal. 

Edited by billsfan89

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Drafting DT & DT in the first sounds far-fetched, even though it sounds nice.

I just cannot fathom the Bills not addressing QB at either one of those picks, or at least no later than Round 2.

Unless they land Kirk Cousins.

I just get a huge kick out of even considering Bills taking those two. Fantastical? of course. Fun to consider? Heck yes. I would love it.

because

there are so many holes on the Team. whether this year or coming soon , to nail down an interior this well would with these two warriors  should be a Coaches dream !!

BTW

Great fun and an interesting read my friend H2o !

• Thank you (+1) 1