Definitely a market for the XFL

I watched what I could of the original XFL and it had some crazy ideas and revolutionary ideas like the Camera over the field which is now a staple. The coin toss was non existent they wrestled it up for the ball which I thought was a cool twist. It seems to me this time that Vince is trying to make it pure football and try to remove all the distractions that take away from the game. It seems viable to me because of the current climate in the NFL you may get people that want to get away from the Monster that is the NFL. He needs to be real careful on making sure that there is a quality product to watch and that it is still fun. The Stripper Cheerleaders although highly entertaining last time would probably be a tough sell this time.

IMO major cities is not the way to go and Vince owning all the teams himself is really not the way to go.  

Play in the spring, target cities with major college football fanbases who don't have NFL teams, play in pre-built stadiums to minimize infrastructure cost.  Put teams in Columbus, Birmingham, Austin, Oklahoma City, etc and give them exclusive rights to players from Ohio State / Bama-Auburn / UT - A&M / Oklahoma - OK St, etc (the MLS has a similar system with exclusive rights on hometown players).

I think you can get some potential appeal on guys like JT Barrett playing in Columbus or Manziel playing in Texas.  The real football quality problem is going to be atrocious line play, there simply aren't that many athletic humans that big and anyone who shows a hint of promise is likely going to NFL teams banging down the door making it a poor financial decision to play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

IMO major cities is not the way to go and Vince owning all the teams himself is really not the way to go.  

Play in the spring, target cities with major college football fanbases who don't have NFL teams, play in pre-built stadiums to minimize infrastructure cost.  Put teams in Columbus, Birmingham, Austin, Oklahoma City, etc and give them exclusive rights to players from Ohio State / Bama-Auburn / UT - A&M / Oklahoma - OK St, etc (the MLS has a similar system with exclusive rights on hometown players).

I think you can get some potential appeal on guys like JT Barrett playing in Columbus or Manziel playing in Texas.  The real football quality problem is going to be atrocious line play, there simply aren't that many athletic humans that big and anyone who shows a hint of promise is likely going to NFL teams banging down the door making it a poor financial decision to play.

I disagree about line play a bit. 

I have 2 friends who are still trying to make it as lineman in the league after years.

they never make the final 52 but would gladly still play pro ball and they would be good enough as well being 4 year division 1 starters

probably lots like them

18 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Not in Buffalo...but in cities that lost NFL teams like St. Louis, Oakland, San Diego. Also bigger cities that don't have a team like Portland and Toronto.

NFL ratings and attendance are down quite a bit, due to a multitude of issues...like the politics involved, refs and softening of the game. Will be interesting.

Wouldn't mind a team in Orlando. I won't ever buy the NFL Sunday ticket again and will only catch games like Buffalo vs Miami, Jacksonville and network TV or go out. I boycott watching any other games but Bills. A league that has no criminals, Hell Ya!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The XFL will likely play from the week after the Super Bowl to mid-April so if you want to watch football during the spring the XFL will be your only option. They won't be able to cut into the NFL's talent pool, at best they will be able to get the best players not in the NFL. It will be a product designed for fans of football who have nothing to watch after the NFL season is over. 

Yeah I just can't commit more hours to watching football though even if it is during the NFL off-season. If I didn't have a family i likely could but then I'm still not likely too if it's just a farm league for the NFL with no real talent or names.

They absolutely should put teams in St.Louis, Oakland and San Diego though. If I'm McMahon I would also look at putting a team in Toronto and Mexico City too.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

i love week 4 of the preseason.  cant get enough.  

While there’s definitely something to this statement, I would still take into consideration giving a group of guys a chance at familiarity and cohesion with one another over a period of time.

There’s lots of week 4 fodder out there that probably didn’t get a lot of real time, and some guys that are even signed that very week just to get thrown to the wolves.

20 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

Not in Buffalo...but in cities that lost NFL teams like St. Louis, Oakland, San Diego. Also bigger cities that don't have a team like Portland and Toronto.

NFL ratings and attendance are down quite a bit, due to a multitude of issues...like the politics involved, refs and softening of the game. Will be interesting.

Please explain the 'softening of the game'.

The new XFL is going to be dead on arrival.  It won't have the talent level to be anywhere as competitive as the NFL and it won't ever have the tradition or loyalty of college football.

People don't want to watch bad football, that's why every league that has tried to compete with the NFL crashed and burned.  Wasn't there a league a couple of years back that featured JP Losman?  Who watched that crap?  Now fans are going to watch Johnny Manziel try to play QB?

It's not going to be exciting; it's going to be pathetic.  Every horrible play is going to remind people that the the league is nowhere near the quality of the NFL.  The empty, dark, quiet stadiums are going to remind fans that college football has a much better atmosphere.

The USFL thought they had the plan by playing spring football.  But after a few seasons of watching team's fold, they realized that the market for spring football is a myth.  The USFL did have good talent, but that was before player salaries took off due to revenue sharing.  And even then competing financially with the NFL broke the league.  In the modern day NFL where television contracts are in the billions and start players are signing for 10s of millions of dollars, there's no way the XFL will be able to compete.

And finally, the NFL has every network covered. There's no way those networks are going to give the XFL the time of day while they are partners with the NFL.

This has all been done before.  Non-traditional markets, non-traditional seasons, players on the cheap, gimmicks out the wazoo (anyone know who won the arena league last year, oh yeah).

And if anyone believes that the new XFL is going to be better officiated than the NFL, just think back to the replacement refs in the NFL a couple of seasons ago.  Those guys will probably be first in line for jobs in the XFL and they were awful.

It'll draw "decent" ratings for a few weeks as viewers check-in out of curiosity, kinda like any new network drama that has some initial buzz every Fall. Then people will realize the quality of the product is second rate and go back to watching Netflix and HBO, or in this case, the NFL.  

Just like last time.

Edited by stony

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeah I just can't commit more hours to watching football though even if it is during the NFL off-season. If I didn't have a family i likely could but then I'm still not likely too if it's just a farm league for the NFL with no real talent or names.

They absolutely should put teams in St.Louis, Oakland and San Diego though. If I'm McMahon I would also look at putting a team in Toronto and Mexico City too.

I think there are enough hardcore football fans that would want to watch 2nd rate football over waning season NBA and NHL. It's not going to ever be a massive success but could you get 20k fans to watch these teams live for a cheap ticket? Yeah probably. Could you get an audience of 4-5 million to watch games? Yeah I think so. Is that enough of a fanbase to make such a league viable? I don't know, but if the costs were low and the league run well I think it could work. 

It's not just NFL fans that you could get interested. There are a lot of NCAA football fans that could be siphoned off. 

21 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

NFL will not allow MJ, gambling and otit her vice items to be advertised - he should go for that market with teams like the Portland Potheads, Arizona Reefers, New Orleans Snake Eyes, etc, allow players to smoke and participate in advertising for vices and partner with cainos to show game with betting.

This is the way to get the market the NFL is missing and once players join the league it will be more difficult to go to the more restricted league.