Super Bowl XXXIX Rematch: Do the Eagles Stand a Chance?

Doe the Eagles Have a Shot in Two Weeks?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Doe the Eagles Have a Shot in Two Weeks?

• Done Deal! Patriots Win Again
    • The Eagles are Good and Have a Shot

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/04/2018 at 11:30 PM

8 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

New England won't be as messy, Brady > Keenum. Total waste of time to watch.

Pats coughed it up on a trick play but not otherwise.... disciplined football, minimal bad turnovers and penalties...

and an 18 yard run on 3rd and 9 is good to put over on an opponent that is already wetting the bed....

Just now, billsfan1960 said:

Eagles have to play the full 60 minutes and then when they have the lead in the 4th qtr, don't play the prevent D or/and get conservative

with the offense, keep the pedal to the metal.

Count on Doug Pederson to be aggressive for the entire game. 

I just this on another forum......

2001, 2003 and 2004 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel left.

2014, 2016 and 2017 SB wins capped off vs the Eagles before Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia leave ?....

That's a bit freaky......

Lol i still love the picture floating around of westbrook (i think) and it shows the pats db/lb brining him down and the ball by his hands. And people wondering why thier was no flag for PI. 

The answer is : the ball had already been touched by westbrook. It was on its way to the ground. 

The Eagles can hand it to the Pats the way the Falcons did it for 43 minutes last year.

But, we all know how this movie ends..............

So, I can assure that I will not watch a second of the SB. I cannot stand to see another Trophy raising by the Pats.

Best thing that can happen for the NFL is an Eagles blowout. 

It might be bad for the city of Philadelphia itself though as the people will DESTROY that city if the Eagles win.

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Has anyone taken a look at the Eagles Defense home/road splits? I remember reading some commentary earlier in the year that their rush benefited from it. A quick glance and their PA looks much better at home.

I know by calculations they allow 12.4ppg at home and 22.4(aprx) on road. They also allow 85 more yard per game on road

11 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Has anyone taken a look at the Eagles Defense home/road splits? I remember reading some commentary earlier in the year that their rush benefited from it. A quick glance and their PA looks much better at home.

Not sure that it matters with the Super Bowl being a neutral site game. 

Patriots also lost 2 of their 3 games at home, but being at home certainly didn't seem like a disadvantage to them...

You have to throw the season out once the playoffs start for the most part. I only included the stats to show that this Eagles team was a real powerhouse all season and should be taken seriously. They have gotten better in the playoffs, against stronger opponents.

Completely depends on Foles

The Eagles have a good defense for Tom Brady. They get pressure rushing 4 and have a decent secondary that can cover long enough for that 4 to get to the QB.

The offense should do better than the Jags did.

Theoretically they should be able to win but with Bill Belichick able to plan for 2 weeks, it's on Foles to perform. If he lays an egg, they will get destroyed.

I know a lot of people don't like this Superbowl because the Pats are in it, but I think this is going to be a really good one. 

Did we quickly write off Foles's 2013 season as a fluke because he went to the Rams and performed terribly there (like Goff and Keenum did under Fisher))? 

Will being underdogs in three straight games give the Eagles a motivational edge over the Patriots?

Can the Eagles stellar defensive line get enough pressure with only 4 rushers which is the key in stopping the Pats offense?

Can Gilmore and Butler keep up with Jeffrey and Agholor?

Will the one two three punch of Ajaya, Blount, and Clement overpower the Patriots giving Foles a chance to stretch the defense?

Is the NFL so worried about showing Patriots bias that all the close calls will go to the Eagles?

Will Darby end Brady's career on a corner blitz?

Should be an entertaining game.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:47 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Patriots will come out on fire, I think the Patriots will get a lead and Foles is going to press and have a horrid game. I see a big time blowout here, the Patriots vs America, everyone hates seeing this team. They are going to have at least two coordinators leaving and I'm not sure they will make it here again. My guy is telling me to bet the over with the Patriots absolutely destroying the Eagles. 

I was snooping around the boards of the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants.....The majority are rooting for New England...they REALLY hate the Eagles...

7 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

I was snooping around the boards of the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants.....The majority are rooting for New England...they REALLY hate the Eagles...

Well those NFC East fan bases are really nasty towards eachother. I bet if you check the rest of the league the majority is pulling for the birds.

1 hour ago, Iron Maiden said:

They’re talking about that on NY sports radio - how no true Giants fan can root for the Eagles.

Makes sense.  Plus Belichick helped them to 2 Lombardi’s as dc, and they also own the Pats in big games.

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The 16-0 Patriots team that was blowing people off the field every week scoring 40+ like it was a 7 on 7 drill only scored 14 in the Super Bowl, and lost to a team that is not as strong as this Eagles team.

Anything can happen.

sure anything can happen, but what does a fan want to put $1,000 on a bet that something happens.

25 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

No way! LOL

But then again, I don't gamble.

i grew up around enough awesome degenerates who would put an immediate $100 bet offer on any silly whim-wish i blurted out

contemporaries less fortunate had a crumpled beer can thrown at their head and were told to ST*U by their father or older brothers

the internet has given rise to this type of beta-male pseudo-fan who refuses to back up public utterances

(not you FunPolice...)

To be the man, you have to beat the man, and this Super Bowl, the Eagles are going to be the new world champions!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

I actually liked Brady's response when asked about how people were sick of NE being in the SB and the NY papers calling it the worst matchup possible...

He pretty much said "we earned it" but then also said Giants fans especially ought to not worry about it, given how they ruined 2 NE SBs and were 2-0 against them.

the Bills ran into this by the 3rd SB, and everyone knew it was going to be a massacre, so the Bills went with "deal with it" but it was fans sick and tired of the AFC getting curbstomped again with the same sacrificial victim.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:51 AM, dave mcbride said:

Last time NE faced a Schwartz D in a game that mattered:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410120buf.htm

The talent levels on the 2017 Eagles D and the 2014 Bills D are basically the same. 

Worth noting: the Bills held the Pats to 50 rushing yards on 27 carries. 

I looked at the stats and the Bills had 3 turnovers: 2 fumbles and 1 interception.  That will usually result in a loss against most teams, let alone the Patriots.

3 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I looked at the stats and the Bills had 3 turnovers: 2 fumbles and 1 interception.  That will usually result in a loss against most teams, let alone the Patriots.

That game was pretty close until they blew it open in the 4th quarter.

Also, this Eagles defense is better than the Bills defense was. Bills defense as all the DL. And it was a great DL, but there were weaknesses on the back end. The Eagles are strong at all 3 levels.

Personally I think St Doug and the Jags defense was better, but the Eagles will certainly have a chance with Jim Schartz's defense if they can get pressure on Brady with just the front four which is the classic Tom Coughlin/Giants gameplan that handed Hoodie and Brady their only two superbowl losses.

But I still think at the end of the day the Pats will rise to the occasion and not have to come back from a 25 point deficit like last year, or even a 10 point deficit like they did against the Jags.

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

That game was pretty close until they blew it open in the 4th quarter.

Also, this Eagles defense is better than the Bills defense was. Bills defense as all the DL. And it was a great DL, but there were weaknesses on the back end. The Eagles are strong at all 3 levels.

this tells me they have a chance.

I think that this is going to be Schwartz's masterpiece game. If he can stay aggressive vs Brady and not blink like St.Doug did the Eagles will win this. The only other big ? is the refs. If memory serves do the Pats get BS calls from the refs  in the SB? regular season and other playoff games of course but in the actual big game have the refs helped the Pats out? I think the SB games have been decently officiated but the Pats have been in so many I cannot remember.