Service/Support Animal Crackdown

T&C

On 3/14/2018 at 6:52 AM, sherpa said:

Having a live animal restricts some kinds of other cargo from being in the same compartment, but that is all handled by the loaders.

My fervent hope is that having live humans in the passenger cabin would restrict animals to the cargo spaces.  I'm allergic to dog and cat dander, but never know if there'll be a dog/cat on the flight until too late.  The presence of a dog or cat, plus the antics of the owner, just make flights truly a hassle for me.

19 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

My fervent hope is that having live humans in the passenger cabin would restrict animals to the cargo spaces.  I'm allergic to dog and cat dander, but never know if there'll be a dog/cat on the flight until too late.  The presence of a dog or cat, plus the antics of the owner, just make flights truly a hassle for me.

That does appear to be a conflict of interest but true service dogs as used by blind will not be set to cargo spaces.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

That does appear to be a conflict of interest but true service dogs as used by blind will not be set to cargo spaces.

And one defines a true service dog by....?  Given that most dog owners wishing to travel with their pooch in the seat next to them, are adamant that Rex is a "true service dog."  If flight attendants enforce identifying true service dogs in the same manner they enforce carry on luggage, boarding groups, etc., well that'll throw a scare into absolutely no one.

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, Keukasmallies said:

And one defines a true service dog by....?  Given that most dog owners wishing to travel with their pooch in the seat next to them, are adamant that Rex is a "true service dog."  If flight attendants enforce identifying true service dogs in the same manner they enforce carry on luggage, boarding groups, etc., well that'll throw a scare into absolutely no one.

They'll keep letting everyone and their emu inside the plane until someone decides to put a bomb in one or makes a service animal suicide vest.  Then it will become an issue.  I'll bet there are already a bunch that are drug mules (no pun intended - but picturing a service mule gave me a chuckle)

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/28/2018 at 9:39 PM, Just Jack said:

Publix grocery store has new signage for the policy....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article215695955.html

On 7/29/2018 at 9:13 AM, That's No Moon said:

Good policy and solid to tie it to food safety.  Interested to see the cell phone video from when they try to enforce it though.

This is too funny, I came here to post something that happened to me just now and see these posts. Was just in the Kroger in line for the self-checkout when this dude pulls in behind me in line with french bulldog looking rat dog sitting in the cart I immediately said "dude, you can't have a dog in the cart, people put their food in there where your dog's ass is right now" . I get the "its a therapy dog" response..and of course, I said so the fudge what..other people should get sick so your dog can ride in a cart?

He takes offense..out voices start to rise, and I chit ya not I think I am going to get in a fight with this fella..and I am okay with it..sick of these entitled aresholes who think their dog belongs everywhere just cause its small. Hows bout i put my 100lb chow/lab mix in the cart and tool him around the store?

Manager intervenes, has no stones and does nothing except say we do not have a policy yet regarding therapy/service dogs ...man, I was fired up! 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Manager intervenes, has no stones and does nothing except say we do not have a policy yet regarding therapy/service dogs ...man, I was fired up! 

Not surprised by that.  The backlash that companies receive now for any perceived discrimination is insane.  If the manager had sided with you, he probably would have been fired within an hour of it hitting Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, T&C said:

The problem with the whole thing is that some of these people really do believe themselves. This lady had probably been enabled by multiple people over the years telling her she needed this squirrel to function emotionally. I mean, look at the lady all decked out in a needless wheelchair. You created this crap society.

Saw a dog labeled "Support Animal" at Wal Mart about a month ago. Sweet looking dog. But was sniffing everybody's cart, trying to play with people. Didn't seem to be a threat to anybody, but certainly not a trained dog, and I hate to make assumtions, but the owner didn't seem to have any sort of disability that would warrent an actual service dog. Sad thing is, they're giving actual service dogs a bad name. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Squirrel ?.  

I heard the one about the lady that had actually made it onto a plane and it took some time to get her and her squirrel off the plane.  2 hour delay 

She should have to pay for the airlines delay, the passengers inconveniences, and then be thrown down in Mexico 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/28/2018 at 9:39 PM, Just Jack said:

Publix grocery store has new signage for the policy....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article215695955.html

Just yesterday as I was leaving Publix I saw someone walking in carrying their yappy little dog. WTF?  I was shocked and kind of wanted to stick around and see how it turned out....like a car crash.

We sold a condo in Nashville to a couple with a dog who was too big for the HOA rules. We shared the rules, and they elected to gamble that they could get away with a “service dog letter”. She was a nurse or PA and had written them in the past. I hope they don’t run into trouble, but I don’t like people gaming the system. And I’m a HUGE pro-dog guy. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, Augie said:

We sold a condo in Nashville to a couple with a dog who was too big for the HOA rules. We shared the rules, and they elected to gamble that they could get away with a “service dog letter”. She was a nurse or PA and had written them in the past. I hope they don’t run into trouble, but I don’t like people gaming the system. And I’m a HUGE pro-dog guy. 

That's when you just slip someone on the board a little tip about the possibility the dog is not a service dog.