The Teddy Bridgewater Thread

Rigotz

7 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

We can debate stats all day long. You tell me, it's the fourth quarter were down a touchdown who do you want to have the ball, Tyrod or Bridgewater? Ask anybody on this board and I think you have your answer.

Can I vote "neither"?  But I'll take that as indicating you are very impressed by Bridgewater's 4th Q comebacks and feel they show him as a better passer?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 reasons Teddy Bridgewater will be the Bills' starting QB in 2018

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer

The 2018 Buffalo Bills roster will look a lot different than the team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs. Defensively, Buffalo may overhaul their front seven. On offense, the Bills could address just about every position. The biggest change will most likely come at quarterback. Tyrod Taylor could return for another season, but most expect the team to move on from the QB. If Taylor doesn't return, who could replace him in 2018? After looking at Alex Smith as a possible solution, the next entry in our series is a soon-to-be free agent that was once considered the face of a franchise. Here are 8 reasons why Teddy Bridgewater will be the Bills' starting quarterback in 2018.

Odd man out in Minnesota

Limited market in free agency

Doesn't prevent Bills from taking QB in the draft

Has won in the league

Could still be a franchise QB

Accurate

Can build around him

Already has McDermott's slogan down

332o0gg.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can I vote "neither"?  But I'll take that as indicating you are very impressed by Bridgewater's 4th Q comebacks and feel they show him as a better passer?

You can vote however you want, but if you put that question up to the rest of the board I think the answer would be clear. Bridgewater's a better quarterback. What the hell is the sense of having a great passer who can't win games, can't connect to wide receivers, and throws for 50 yards a game? You call then passers, I them football players. Teddy Bridgewater is a better QB than TT. Bridgewater has won 16% of his games with 4th quarter comebacks. The fourth quarter is when TT disappears completely.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

You can vote however you want, but if you put that question up to the rest of the board I think the answer would be clear. Bridgewater's a better quarterback. What the hell is the sense of having a great passer who can't win games, can't connect to wide receivers, and throws for 50 yards a game? You call then passers, I them football players. Teddy Bridgewater is a better QB than TT. Bridgewater has won 16% of his games with 4th quarter comebacks. The fourth quarter is when TT disappears completely.

Maybe if Bridgewater did more in quarters 1 through 3 he wouldn't have to have that many comeback wins

I'm getting lost here.  Who is this great passer we're talking about who can't win games and can't connect to wide receivers?

What I thought we were discussing is to help me understand why Teddy Bridgewater is said to be a rhythm passer who can read defenses and get the ball out with timing and anticipation in 3,5, and 7 step drops, yet in his 2 years of NFL play his passing stats are very Tyrod Taylor like with 205 ypg, 14 TD per year, and worse in some regards with an average of >40 sacks per year and 2.6% interception, resulting in a passing offense that was 28th in the league his 1st year and 31st his 2nd.  Those are very Tyrod-Taylor like stats, and he is regarded here as NOT a good passer, NOT passing for enough TDs, and NOT good enough passing offense.

I mean, it sounds impressive and all that to say Bridgewater has won 16% of his games with 4th quarter comebacks, but leaving aside the question of whether W-L record is properly a QB stat, that's 3 games.  if the Vikes won 17 games of 28 games he played during his 2 years at QB and the Bills won 22 of 42 games Tyrod played during 3 years at QB, the winning percentage differs by 8%, so would Bridgewater's 4th quarter comebacks make 8% of a difference to their team's records even though they're 16% of the 17 games he won? Now my head hurts.  Or maybe winning has to do with the whole team and not a QB stat?

I'd kind of like to see a QB who isn't 29th in the NFL for TD passes during the whole game, myself, so maybe we wouldn't need that 4th quarter comeback so badly.

Sure, I'd like a guy to score more 4th quarter comebacks other things being equal, but I'm really not trying to debate TT >> TB; like most people here, I want to see a major upgrade at QB.  What I'm trying to understand is why some see Bridgewater as that potential major upgrade, because the defense reading ball timing WR anticipating skills he is said to have don't seem to have come out in increased passing offense.

And I want to see increased passing offense on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
8 reasons Teddy Bridgewater will be the Bills' starting QB in 2018

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer

The 2018 Buffalo Bills roster will look a lot different than the team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs. Defensively, Buffalo may overhaul their front seven. On offense, the Bills could address just about every position. The biggest change will most likely come at quarterback. Tyrod Taylor could return for another season, but most expect the team to move on from the QB. If Taylor doesn't return, who could replace him in 2018? After looking at Alex Smith as a possible solution, the next entry in our series is a soon-to-be free agent that was once considered the face of a franchise. Here are 8 reasons why Teddy Bridgewater will be the Bills' starting quarterback in 2018.

Odd man out in Minnesota

Limited market in free agency

Doesn't prevent Bills from taking QB in the draft

Has won in the league

Could still be a franchise QB

Accurate

Can build around him

Already has McDermott's slogan down

332o0gg.jpg

If he's so good and healthy why did the Vikings decline his option??

That 8 reasons article is a puff piece with nothing but anecdotal speculation, and is doing a "series" of these 8 reason articles on QBs.

Nothing in the Teddy one gives any indication of him being a big upgrade to Taylor.

The stats used in the article, as with the stats used by you, indicate Taylor and Teddy are similar in production.

Your have yet to show otherwise.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm getting lost here.  Who is this great passer we're talking about who can't win games and can't connect to wide receivers?

What I thought we were discussing is to help me understand why Teddy Bridgewater is said to be a rhythm passer who can read defenses and get the ball out with timing and anticipation in 3,5, and 7 step drops, yet in his 2 years of NFL play his passing stats are very Tyrod Taylor like with 205 ypg, 14 TD per year, and worse in some regards with an average of >40 sacks per year and 2.6% interception, resulting in a passing offense that was 28th in the league his 1st year and 31st his 2nd.  Those are very Tyrod-Taylor like stats, and he is regarded here as NOT a good passer, NOT passing for enough TDs, and NOT good enough passing offense.

I mean, it sounds impressive and all that to say Bridgewater has won 16% of his games with 4th quarter comebacks, but leaving aside the question of whether W-L record is properly a QB stat, that's 3 games.  if the Vikes won 17 games of 28 games he played during his 2 years at QB and the Bills won 22 of 42 games Tyrod played during 3 years at QB, the winning percentage differs by 8%, so would Bridgewater's 4th quarter comebacks make 8% of a difference to their team's records even though they're 16% of the 17 games he won? Now my head hurts.  Or maybe winning has to do with the whole team and not a QB stat?

I'd kind of like to see a QB who isn't 29th in the NFL for TD passes during the whole game, myself, so maybe we wouldn't need that 4th quarter comeback so badly.

Sure, I'd like a guy to score more 4th quarter comebacks other things being equal, but I'm really not trying to debate TT >> TB; like most people here, I want to see a major upgrade at QB.  What I'm trying to understand is why some see Bridgewater as that potential major upgrade, because the defense reading ball timing WR anticipating skills he is said to have don't seem to have come out in increased passing offense.

Agreed completely.

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe if Bridgewater did more in quarters 1 through 3 he wouldn't have to have that many comeback wins

Yeah you're right, just like Peyton Manning, Brady, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, and John Elway. Those are the top five come-from-behind quarterbacks. If only they were more competent in the first 3 quarters they wouldn't have had to rally in the 4th Yeah you're right!

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You definitely are lost. I'm saying this, Teddy Bridgewater is a better quarterback than Tyrod Taylor. Our offense would be much better under him in the sense of winning games. We would be playing the Patriots today if Bridgewater were our quarterback against Jacksonville. I'm not saying Teddy is our end-all quarterback, he's better than Tyrod and whoever we draft Teddy could help school them. That's how this whole thing began my friend. You want to get stuck on passing yards and stats,  fine I'm talking about winning football games. Particularly when the game is on the line and it matters - when TT dissappears.  When the going gets tough,  Tyrod tanks.

11 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Yeah you're right, just like Peyton Manning, Brady, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, and John Elway. Those are the top five come-from-behind quarterbacks. If only they were more competent in the first 3 quarters they wouldn't have had to rally in the 4th Yeah you're right!

You definitely are lost. I'm saying this, Teddy Bridgewater is a better quarterback than Tyrod Taylor. Our offense would be much better under him in the sense of winning games. We would be playing the Patriots today if Bridgewater were our quarterback against Jacksonville. I'm not saying Teddy is our end-all quarterback, he's better than Tyrod and whoever we draft Teddy could help school them. That's how this whole thing began my friend. You want to get stuck on passing yards and stats,  fine I'm talking about winning football games. Particularly when the game is on the line and it matters - when TT dissappears.  When the going gets tough,  Tyrod tanks.

I’m Fine with moving on from Tyrod but you seriously need to pump the breaks on teddy. Good lord. The guy has been extremely pedestrian. 

Im even ok with bringing him in if he’s reasonably priced but the guy wasn’t anything more than average before the injury. And if he was better than Taylor before the injury it was marginal at best. The year he went 11-5 he had the 5th ranked defense in points against and the 4th ranked rush attack backing him up. He tossed 14 td’s for cripes sake. 

42 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I wouldnt be putring my eggs in a basket with a QB one hit away(or maybe not even a hit) from his career being over.  I remember what Culpepper looked like after coming back from a similar injury and he was terrible.

This would be such a terrible idea, in all honesty if they are looking in this direction we may as well keep Tyrod, he throws less picks and is already here plus doesn't have that ticking time bomb of a knee...

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/21/nfl-free-agency-teddy-bridgewater-buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor/

And I'm asking you, why, what basis or evidence you have that shows, you believe Teddy Bridgewater is a "better Quarterback than Tyrod Taylor"?

I hope we both can agree that we want to see a significant improvement at QB - not just an incremental improvement.

Let's make sure we're talking about what I see as the real question here.  It's not really "Is Teddy Bridgewater is a better quarterback than Tyrod Taylor?" right?

Because that could be true, but not helpful to our team, can we agree on that?  My neighbor's furnace may be better than my furnace.  Maybe her furnace is 16% more efficient.  In replacing my furnace, I'm not interested in installing her 25 yr old furnace instead of my 28 yr old furnace. for a small gain.  I want a high efficiency furnace that's 2x better.

So let's look at "the sense of winning games".    I just want to understand your argument that Bridgewater would win more football games for us.

In the two years Bridgewater played, the Vikes record was 7-9 (Defense: #11) and 11-5 (Defense: #5).  The Vikes made the playoffs and lost by a score of 9-10 while Bridgewater threw  for 146 yds, 0 TD 0 INT.  In the three years Taylor started: our record was 8-8 (Defense: #15), 7-9 (Defense: #16), and 9-7 (Defense: #18).  We made the playoffs and lost by a score of 10-3 while Taylor threw for 134 yds, 0 TD, 1 Int. 

Is your argument if you plonk Bridgewater into our team with our D, he wins more games?  All 3 of Bridgewater's "game winning drives" were in his first year as starter, when he was 6-6 and the Vikes were 7-9.  Tyrod's first year, the Bills were 7-9 and Tyrod was 7-6.  So how do you see Bridgewater translating into "win more games"?  It's a fact that Tyrod won more games, even with Bridgewaters 3 "game winning drives", and both teams overall had the same record.

Is your argument that Bridgewater is more "clutch" and would lead a comeback in a playoff game?  When there was a playoff game on the line and supported by the #5 D in football, Bridgewater did not lead a comeback - the Vikes scored 0 points in the 4th quarter - and they lost the game. 

I respect that you don't want to "get stuck on passing yards and stats", but when you talk about winning football games. it just doesn't seem to match anything objective - such as actually winning a playoff game, or "GWD" leading to more wins.

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I wouldnt be putring my eggs in a basket with a QB one hit away(or maybe not even a hit) from his career being over.  I remember what Culpepper looked like after coming back from a similar injury and he was terrible.

I had forgotten that.  But yes, yes he was.  Although, to be fair, it differs  -

1) Culpepper was traded to a new team and he/they may have hurried his rehab vs. letting him recover fully. 

2) Culpepper may not have had the requisite work ethic and dedication to rehab (or to learning to QB in the NFL?)

But sheesh, Minnesota.  If it weren't for bad luck drafting QB, they'd have no luck at all.

Late arriving to this. The stats are the stats (and they aren't impressive), but has anyone WATCHED Bridgewater play over multiple games? He is NOT good. Not a great arm, not great in the pocket, and not that accurate.  Plus he didn't have a bad injury; he had a *horrible* injury that leaves most people who suffer it permanently debilitated. 

No thanks.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

You could say that about any QB. Besides we're not putting our eggs in one basket, he's a bridge (as his name implies) quarterback while our draft choice matures.

On 1/20/2018 at 3:42 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Stats don't have a thing to do with what I posted there. Watch then post.  Until then. Shhhh. 

I have watched, 26. He is not good. In terms of his play style, it always struck me as a moderately more competent version of Christian Ponder. His arm is definitely not strong enough for a place like Buffalo either. Just my opinion, of course. 

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And I'm asking you, why, what basis or evidence you have that shows, you believe Teddy Bridgewater is a "better Quarterback than Tyrod Taylor"?

I hope we both can agree that we want to see a significant improvement at QB - not just an incremental improvement.

Let's make sure we're talking about what I see as the real question here.  It's not really "Is Teddy Bridgewater is a better quarterback than Tyrod Taylor?" right?

Because that could be true, but not helpful to our team, can we agree on that?  My neighbor's furnace may be better than my furnace.  Maybe her furnace is 16% more efficient.  In replacing my furnace, I'm not interested in installing her 25 yr old furnace instead of my 28 yr old furnace. for a small gain.  I want a high efficiency furnace that's 2x better.

So let's look at "the sense of winning games".    I just want to understand your argument that Bridgewater would win more football games for us.

In the two years Bridgewater played, the Vikes record was 7-9 (Defense: #11) and 11-5 (Defense: #5).  The Vikes made the playoffs and lost by a score of 9-10 while Bridgewater threw  for 146 yds, 0 TD 0 INT.  In the three years Taylor started: our record was 8-8 (Defense: #15), 7-9 (Defense: #16), and 9-7 (Defense: #18).  We made the playoffs and lost by a score of 10-3 while Taylor threw for 134 yds, 0 TD, 1 Int. 

Is your argument if you plonk Bridgewater into our team with our D, he wins more games?  All 3 of Bridgewater's "game winning drives" were in his first year as starter, when he was 6-6 and the Vikes were 7-9.  Tyrod's first year, the Bills were 7-9 and Tyrod was 7-6.  So how do you see Bridgewater translating into "win more games"?  It's a fact that Tyrod won more games, even with Bridgewaters 3 "game winning drives", and both teams overall had the same record.

Is your argument that Bridgewater is more "clutch" and would lead a comeback in a playoff game?  When there was a playoff game on the line and supported by the #5 D in football, Bridgewater did not lead a comeback - the Vikes scored 0 points in the 4th quarter - and they lost the game. 

I respect that you don't want to "get stuck on passing yards and stats", but when you talk about winning football games. it just doesn't seem to match anything objective - such as actually winning a playoff game, or "GWD" leading to more wins.

16% of his game we're come from behind. With TT, behind in the 4th quarter means we lose. Look, you think we're a better team with TT, just watch those 50 yard passing beauties he put up and the stellar Jax game. I'll take Teddy over that, particularly as a bridge QB while our draft pick matures. Overall I'd take Alex Smith as a bridge over both Teddy and TT.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I have watched, 26. He is not good. In terms of his play style, it always struck me as a moderately more competent version of Christian Ponder. His arm is definitely not strong enough for a place like Buffalo either. Just my opinion, of course. 

To this point in his career, I'd call him a pretty good pocket passer and that's something I would not say about Ponder's career. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To this point in his career, I'd call him a pretty good pocket passer and that's something I would not say about Ponder's career. 

I did say he was more competent than Ponder. Regardless, his arm is decidedly unimpressive and I would never take a chance on that knee.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I did say he was more competent than Ponder. Regardless, his arm is decidedly unimpressive and I would never take a chance on that knee.

It seems good enough to me especially since he throws with timing and anticipation, but yes the knee is a risk factor that has to be taken into consideration. 

15 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

You could say that about any QB. Besides we're not putting our eggs in one basket, he's a bridge (as his name implies) quarterback while our draft choice matures.

No not really...he has an injury so bad doctors weren't sure if his leg could be saved or it would need to have been amputated. 

QBs need their legs as much as their arms and I wouldn't trust a guy who might never recover enough to be effective...especially not a guy who wasn't THAT effective as it was without the injury.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It seems good enough to me especially since he throws with timing and anticipation, but yes the knee is a risk factor that has to be taken into consideration. 

No doubt about the timing and anticipation aspect; it's the deep outs and other longer throws that need to be on a rope that I worry about. He has never impressed me with those pass types.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No doubt about the timing and anticipation aspect; it's the deep outs and other longer throws that need to be on a rope that I worry about. He has never impressed me with those pass types.

I would label his arm strength as adequate.

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No not really...he has an injury so bad doctors weren't sure if his leg could be saved or it would need to have been amputated. 

QBs need their legs as much as their arms and I wouldn't trust a guy who might never recover enough to be effective...especially not a guy who wasn't THAT effective as it was without the injury.

That's why they have team doctors. You go by what they say after the examination.

On January 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM, Green Lightning said:

Teddy  actually throws before the break, and and he actually targets wide receivers, doesn't doesn't have 50 yard total passing games and brought his team from behind five times for victories.

Someone else showed he throws to his WRs 4% more frequently than TT.

His offenses are terrible.  In the 4th Q he has a career total of 5 TDs and 4 ints.  in the second half of all games in his career, he has 9 TDs and 9 ints---those are totals.  Trailing with 2 minutes or less to go, he has zero TDs, 1 int.  His rating is 69.

That's why they have team doctors. You go by what they say after the examination.

And how did that work out for the Dolphins with Culpepper?  Team Doctors have NO idea how the player will actually play once he gets back on the field after the injury, they just are able to say that he is OK to play.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And how did that work out for the Dolphins with Culpepper?  Team Doctors have NO idea how the player will actually play once he gets back on the field after the injury, they just are able to say that he is OK to play.

What happened 13 years ago with a different player matters here?

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

So their doctor suck. Ours are  hopefully better.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would label his arm strength as adequate.

I would agree, all I'm saying is that rather have him behind the center than Tyrod. And that's why while we develop our rookie QB. 

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What happened 13 years ago with a different player matters here?

Yeah it does because it's the only player with a similarly serious knee injury as a QB I can think of as a comparison.

Bridgewater said on Monday, via multiple reports from Minnesota, that he “definitely” sees himself as a starter heading into the 2018 season. It will be interesting to see what teams might feel the same way and what kind of commitment they’d be willing to make after Bridgewater was limited to one garbage time relief appearance over the last two seasons.

Instead of preparing for a Super Bowl in their home stadium, the Vikings -- just like that -- are left to ponder an offseason flush with questions. Who will emerge as the guy under center for the future?

So what about Bridgewater?

The back-from-injury signal-caller told reporters Monday that he "definitely"sees himself as a starter in 2018, according to ESPN's Kevin Seifert. Bridgewater, though, acknowledged that such a role might have to happen somewhere other than Minnesota.

Bridgewater courageously returned this season from a devastating knee injury that wiped out his 2016 campaign. The former starter was essentially demoted during the playoffs, though, floating in the abyss behind Keenum and Bradford and calling the experience a "test of my character."

As for Bridgewater, if his time is up in Minnesota, he'll quickly find employment elsewhere. He's 25 years old with plenty of solid game tape under his belt. If the Vikings don't want him, someone else will.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 1/21/2018 at 11:10 AM, Green Lightning said:

16% of his game we're come from behind. With TT, behind in the 4th quarter means we lose. Look, you think we're a better team with TT, just watch those 50 yard passing beauties he put up and the stellar Jax game. I'll take Teddy over that, particularly as a bridge QB while our draft pick matures. Overall I'd take Alex Smith as a bridge over both Teddy and TT.

Hokay, I give up.  Bridgewater 6-6 in first year as starter (the year of his 3 comeback games).  Taylor 7-6 his first year as starter.

Obviously, that means Bridgewater would win us more games

We do agree on Alex Smith, though.  If we're going for a bridge guy, he's my man over TT. 

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Vikes give Keenum a nice starter deal like Glennon+....Teddy gets a back up deal with starter incentives and Bradford is the odd man out......and no to Bflo for Sam.....

Teddy will not stay in MIN as a backup based on his interview on Monday. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Teddy will not stay in MIN as a backup based on his interview on Monday. 

...interesting....unfortunately what Teddy WANTS versus what the market dictates may be apples versus oranges.....look at the QB market in two tiers.....Glennon at $15+ mil versus Carr at $25+ mil.......which tier would you put Teddy in based on experience and coming off a serious injury?......logically it would be Glennon but would you gamble on that deal not knowing if TB is back to normal AND for the long term?...expensive roll of the dice IMO.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....unfortunately what Teddy WANTS versus what the market dictates may be apples versus oranges.....look at the QB market in two tiers.....Glennon at $15+ mil versus Carr at $25+ mil.......which tier would you put Teddy in based on experience and coming off a serious injury?......logically it would be Glennon but would you gamble on that deal not knowing if TB is back to normal AND for the long term?...expensive roll of the dice IMO.........

Yeah

Nobody is giving Bridgewater more than 15

Probably mostly incentives based

Most likely no more than 1 guaranteed commitment either