Jimmy Garoppolo

11 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Like for one, Chandler Jones for that guard, Cooper. Arizona absolutely hosed them on that.

Cooper was just a throw in. They turned the draft pick they got in return into Joe Thuney and Malcolm Mitchell. Thuney started every game last year and is a very good lineman. Mitchell had some big catches last year. Unfortunately, he's got hurt before this season started. He'll be back next year. 

The trade was never about Cooper.

If you want to use Kony Ealy as an example, I'll happily agree. Lazy and didn't buy in to the system. I'm glad it was only a 5th rounder.

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What I posted was not inaccurate.  

They will follow the way or not.  

Brady can not play for another 5 years. 

No it wasn't inaccurate. Brady just isn't at that point yet. He's still the best at his position. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

No comparison here. RJ had exactly ONE pro start going into his final off season with Jax. JG has 8-10 starts and is UNDEFEATED as a starter! 

If I were @ OBD, I’d offer both of this years 1st’s AND next years 1st. If ‘throwing’ in Glenn and Tyrod would seal the deal, I’d do that too.

So would you have offered that much at RGIII during his rookie season when he looked incredible?  What about Nick Foles when he was putting up gaudy stats, was he worth two first round picks?

5 games is not a good sample size. Hopefully he's the real deal, but 5 games is a very small sample size to offer two first round picks and players.

Just for context: Ryan Leaf went 4-0 his first 4 NFL games.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Cooper was just a throw in. They turned the draft pick they got in return into Joe Thuney and Malcolm Mitchell. Thuney started every game last year and is a very good lineman. Mitchell had some big catches last year. Unfortunately, he's got hurt before this season started. He'll be back next year. 

The trade was never about Cooper.

If you want to use Kony Ealy as an example, I'll happily agree. Lazy and didn't buy in to the system. I'm glad it was only a 5th rounder.

No it wasn't inaccurate. Brady just isn't at that point yet. He's still the best at his position. 

You are correct, my mistake.

I would say the Cardinals still won the trade by just giving a 2nd rounder for a great pass rusher, but yes I stand corrected. Completely forgot about the draft pick

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You are correct, my mistake.

I would say the Cardinals still won the trade by just giving a 2nd rounder for a great pass rusher, but yes I stand corrected. Completely forgot about the draft pick

No worries. Lots of Pats fans don't even realize they even got a pick.

Oh, and the part underneath Kony Ealy was meant for someone else. Sorry!

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What I posted was not inaccurate.  

They will follow the way or not.  

Brady can not play for another 5 years. 

No it wasn't inaccurate. Brady just isn't at that point yet. He's still the best at his position and it would be amazing for him to be around at 45 years old. Still, if he has 2 or 3 years of being a top 3-5 QB, you have to keep him. BB will draft his replacement this draft in the 2nd round. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is zero...literally zero percent chance Jimmy will play anywhere other than SF this year.  If Cleveland offered SF the #1 overall pick and the 4th Overall pick San Francisco wouldn't even pick up the phone.   Jimmy is not available on any level.

They are going to either sign him or Tag him 1 season and then negotiate the long term deal.  No team in the NFL will have any chance at Jimmy and I am shocked people are still in this fairy tale.  Even if it was a non exclusive tag, they will 100% match any offer given rather than take the 2 draft picks.  Might as well wonder if we can get Aaron Rogers this year because their availability is the same...0%.

Jimmy already had an intriguing resume in his limited starts in NE.  Then he walks into a 1 win team mid season where he does not know the offense, and hasn't played a meaningful down of football in a long time.  What does he do?  A few weeks later he gets a chance to start where his TOP weapon to throw to is none other Maquise Goodwin (the same Goodwin about 95% of this board said is trash) and leads the Niners on a 5-0 win streak to end the season...a team that was 1-10 before Jimmy with the exact same roster.  A team whose roster overall was considered near the bottom of the league talent wise.  And one of those wins included the AFC Championship destined Jaguars and their top defense.

Why would the Niners let Jimmy go to get two measly first round picks that statistically are more likely to bust than hit?   Its not ever going to happen or be considered.  

Oh I totally agree. Just thought I'd see what people thought of him and that as a potential offer. I would love to snag him and would give up the picks to do it. But he wont get free. Just a fun hypothetical

18 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Does no one remember the lesson of Rob Johnson? Beware going after a guy with a short track record.

I believe that Matt Flynn was another backup QB who parlayed one late season start with GB into a big pay day, too.

Not to mention Colin Kaepernick who looked so good at the end of 2012 that the Niners not only signed him to a fat contract but sent Alex Smith off to KC.

Then there's Brock Osweiler ...

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I believe that Matt Flynn was another backup QB who parlayed one late season start with GB into a big pay day, too.

Not to mention Colin Kaepernick who looked so good at the end of 2012 that the Niners not only signed him to a fat contract but sent Alex Smith off to KC.

Then there's Brock Osweiler ...

Yup.  I recall that some folks were drooling over Matt Flynn and his six TD game against the scrub secondary of the Lions .   We even had Flynn on our roster after he flamed out in Seattle / Oakland.  

It could be that Garoppolo is the real deal but I am also wary of flash in the pan performances and the fact that Belichick traded him away when he could have assured another decade of dominance...

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....Shanahan wins out over Lynch and they sign HIS boy Cousins....Jimmy G walks and IMMEDIATELY signs with Bflo looking to extract revenge versus his old boss and old mentor.....hey, an old guy can dream in his waning years, right?.........

that would be friggin awesome!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

With Jimmy G likely to be franchised, would you sign him to an offer sheet and give up the two 1st rounders to get him?

Discuss

If you're willing to give up two 1st round picks for a guy who hasn't proven a thing in the NFL why wouldn't' you give up two picks for a guy who has played very well in the games he's played?

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, this.

I totally buy this part of that recent expose. The reporter had a lot of sources and the coverage was slanted towards Belichick, so some of the sources were almost certainly guys in Belichick's camp.

In any case, I just don't see Garoppolo being available in any way, at any price.

He said he had alot of sources. 

21 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

If you could get a franchise qb, like say Brees or Rodgers, you'd trade your next 10 first rounders for them.

Seriously.  

Personally I think Jimmy G's star is going to fade when DC's start getting film on the guy and learn his tendencies.  But I'd give up two 1st rounders for the guy, I think any team would, even Belichick if Kraft the Mullet would let him.

Brees has two years left..

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Oh I totally agree. Just thought I'd see what people thought of him and that as a potential offer. I would love to snag him and would give up the picks to do it. But he wont get free. Just a fun hypothetical

Yeah I would love to get him too, and wish the Bills could have traded for him but there was probably no way the Pats were gonna let him remain in the division.  I do wonder if the Bills offered the 21st pick in the draft compared to the Niners 2nd if that would have been enough to tip the scale for NE to trade him in the division though.  But its not like the Pats were even going to call the Bills about it in the first place, so we never would have even had a chance to try.  I actually would have been OK trading for Jimmy using a first back then too as I have been high on him.  

Funny thing is, it would have been WILDLY UNPOPULAR here because every single naysayer would have screamed we got fleeced because something must be wrong with him if Pats traded him to us and we are all suckers.  Although would have been curious to see if Jimmy could have held the job after the snow game which would have been the only game he likely would have started as that was one where TT was out hurt.  

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah I would love to get him too, and wish the Bills could have traded for him but there was probably no way the Pats were gonna let him remain in the division.  I do wonder if the Bills offered the 21st pick in the draft compared to the Niners 2nd if that would have been enough to tip the scale for NE to trade him in the division though.  But its not like the Pats were even going to call the Bills about it in the first place, so we never would have even had a chance to try.  I actually would have been OK trading for Jimmy using a first back then too as I have been high on him.  

Funny thing is, it would have been WILDLY UNPOPULAR here because every single naysayer would have screamed we got fleeced because something must be wrong with him if Pats traded him to us and we are all suckers.  Although would have been curious to see if Jimmy could have held the job after the snow game which would have been the only game he likely would have started as that was one where TT was out hurt.  

He would have been starting over Tyrod. No doubt about that in my mind

7 hours ago, Koko78 said:

So would you have offered that much at RGIII during his rookie season when he looked incredible?  What about Nick Foles when he was putting up gaudy stats, was he worth two first round picks?

5 games is not a good sample size. Hopefully he's the real deal, but 5 games is a very small sample size to offer two first round picks and players.

Just for context: Ryan Leaf went 4-0 his first 4 NFL games.

RG111 & Ryan Leaf were rookies. 

Garrappollo is 7-0

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?sort=pct

Tell me, do watch football?

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

RG111 & Ryan Leaf were rookies. 

Garrappollo is 7-0

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?sort=pct

Tell me, do watch football?

And yet, he's only played 5 games with San Francisco. Whether or not he's a rookie is completely irrelevant to the question. You are basing your position on 7 whole games (two of which are with NE). Now you want to cherry pick. That's fun!

Would you have traded two first round picks for RGIII during his rookie season? It's a simple yes or no question. What about Nick Foles? Ryan Leaf?

The fact that you refuse to answer speaks volumes.

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

And yet, he's only played 5 games with San Francisco. Whether or not he's a rookie is completely irrelevant to the question. You are basing your position on 7 whole games (two of which are with NE). Now you want to cherry pick. That's fun!

Would you have traded two first round picks for RGIII during his rookie season? It's a simple yes or no question. What about Nick Foles? Ryan Leaf?

I will jump on and day yes to RGIII 

Prior to his injury he was very good

He had a promising career derailed after one of the best rookie seasons ever by a QB.

Nick foles after his "breakout year" was a huge risk after being subpar in college, subpar his first partial season, so no I wouldn't for him.

Ryan Leaf ? Before the draft sure. After watching him in the NFL? Nope.

*Also leaf started 2-0 not 4-0. He also looked terrible in those starts.a Should get your stats right before arguing, unless you're counting preseason, in that case, say so."

Edited by SouthNYfan
Added leaf stats at end

17 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I was thinking earlier.....

how many liked Jimmy when he was a Pat * ?  

The 2 Pats* wins we’re against soft teams.  

The SOS for SF may also have aided the 5 wins.  And yes I know he beat 2 good teams too in Cali. 

Two high draft picks is too much imo

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Wow. What am I dealing with here? ..

Now I wonder if you can read, let alone comprehend reality. Were  RGIII & Leaf available after their 1st season starting? Yes or no. If no, then your premise is as faulty as your intelligence, and doesn’t even rate an answer. Your dream sequence is the reason I couldn’t care less what speaks volumes to you. 

Ill leave you with this insight; don’t eat Tide pods.

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He had a promising career derailed after one of the best rookie seasons ever by a QB.

Nick foles after his "breakout year" was a huge risk after being subpar in college, subpar his first partial season, so no I wouldn't for him.

*Also leaf started 2-0 not 4-0. He also looked terrible in those starts.a Should get your stats right before arguing, unless you're counting preseason, in that case, say so."

Was RGIII really good or was that just the fad that was read option QBing?     I suspect its the latter.    At the end of the day,  you need someone who can stand in the pocket and read a defense.  None of those things RG III ever did well

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wow. What am I dealing with here? ..

Now I wonder if you can read, let alone comprehend reality. Were  RGIII & Leaf available after their 1st season starting? Yes or no. If no, then your premise is as faulty as your intelligence, and doesn’t even rate an answer. Your dream sequence is the reason I couldn’t care less what speaks volumes to you. 

Ill leave you with this insight; don’t eat Tide pods.

Yet instead of answering an incredibly simple yes or no question, you continue to insult me. You won't answer, because answering either makes you a hypocrite or a moron.

Here's a final thought: Why don't you get a !@#$ing clue. Only an idiot spends two first round picks (plus players) on a guy with 7 starts.

14 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Was RGIII really good or was that just the fad that was read option QBing?     I suspect its the latter.    At the end of the day,  you need someone who can stand in the pocket and read a defense.  None of those things RG III ever did well

Never gonna know with him unfortunately.

His knee injury robbed him of not only his mobility, but he lost significant velocity.

If you know throwing mechanics, you'll know that you need a stable base to throw from, driving with your rear leg, generating power that drives through your core and into your upper body, translating into velocity on your throw.

His yards per attempt dropped significantly.

His ints increased.

Losing that much power/velocity could easily affect a QB to the point where windows that he used to be able to squeeze a ball into, he no longer can.

Fractions of a second can mean the difference between a comp and an int.

Not many QBs continue to play on a high level after a push-off knee injury, Rivers came back amazing, McNabb didn't, though he still had a decent career after, his best years were before the injury. 

Neither of them tore their ACL, LCL, and meniscus like rgiii did.

Multi ligament knee injuries are almost always ACL, MCL, and medial meniscus.

Rgii was a special case.

He tore the LCL partially prior and the Redskins put him in a brace and trotted him out there, limping, against the Seahawks.

He wound up with full ACL, LCL, and meniscus tears.

His knee was never stable again.

LCL injuries of that magnitude are savage.

So, going back to what you said, sure it could have been teams adjusted to the mobile QB style, but I will say that the injury had much more of a impact than any defensive adjustments did.

He lost velocity, and never adjusted his game to it.

Would he have been an all time great?

Who knows. Probably not.

Would he have had a solid couple more years as a upper tier QB(hopefully injury free)?

Almost certainly.

After that rookie season you cannot honestly say he would have been a bust.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

With Jimmy G likely to be franchised, would you sign him to an offer sheet and give up the two 1st rounders to get him?

Discuss

Six games played in 2017 is what we're willing to give up a first rounder (or more) for?

Out of the 6 games, here are the averages per game:

260 yards

1.16 TD's

.83 INT's

67% Completion

Before you say New England:

6 game season in 2016:

83 YPG

.66 TD's

0 INT's

68% Completion

We seem to be getting desperate as a fan-base. It's literally a solid 6 game season that people are willing to throw first round picks at. I'd much rather get a Smith or Cousins in 2018.

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

(...)

If you know throwing mechanics, you'll know that you need a stable base to throw from, driving with your rear leg, generating power that drives through your core and into your upper body, translating into velocity on your throw. (...)

Losing that much power/velocity could easily affect a QB to the point where windows that he used to be able to squeeze a ball into, he no longer can.

Fractions of a second can mean the difference between a comp and an int.

(...)

Not many QBs continue to play on a high level after a push-off knee injury, Rivers came back amazing, McNabb didn't, though he still had a decent career after, his best years were before the injury. 

Edited to neutralize of specific QB

Which knee did Bridgewater injure?  It was his L, wasn't it, and he's R handed?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3 minutes ago, Young34 said:

Six games played in 2017 is what we're willing to give up a first rounder (or more) for?

Out of the 6 games, here are the averages per game:

260 yards

1.16 TD's

.83 INT's

67% Completion

Before you say New England:

6 game season in 2016:

83 YPG

.66 TD's

0 INT's

68% Completion

We seem to be getting desperate as a fan-base. It's literally a solid 6 game season that people are willing to throw first round picks at. I'd much rather get a Smith or Cousins in 2018.

You must have not watched any of his games this season to assess his ability to smoothly and quickly acclimate himself in a complex offense with the 49ers.  His footwork, release, ability to read defenses, throw with timing, anticipation, and accuracy both in the pocket and on the move were excellent.   The willingness to part with premium assets goes far beyond the numbers you just cited.   In the end, it's all for naught because he will not be availabe to any other team besides the 49ers.  If he were........

23 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

For a coach possibly on the way out( his choice) I get it.

If the kids worth two firsts then you keep him and tell your 40 year old QB, “ Last season Tommy Boy.” And you keep on winning with your new wonder boy.

If BB is as good as he seems to be this would be par for the course for him.

The gouge is that Kraft was the wild card here, who said "no, Tom Brady is not getting traded, he has earned some loyalty and you will keep playing him as long as he delivers"

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edited to neutralize of specific QB

Which knee did Bridgewater injure?

Teddy was his left (front) knee

Not his power leg

Front knee injuries typically cause a drop in accuracy in terms of sailing a ball more often due to instability on that leg, most often with a collateral ligament (see: Cutler trying to play with a grade 2 MCL in that one playoff game)

Bridgewater is a complete wildcard though.

He took an entire year+ off.

He also had a tibial-femoral dislocation +ACL.

That is literally one of the worst knee injuries (the dislocation, not the ACL).

He could be perfect, or his leg could collapse like wet tissue paper.

Compete unknown.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The gouge is that Kraft was the wild card here, who said "no, Tom Brady is not getting traded, he has earned some loyalty and you will keep playing him as long as he delivers"

Well, as they say here in the south,” Kraft screwed his own self.” ?

And i must add, it warms the cockles of my heart if JG turns out as good as it looks like he might. I hope he chokes on JG’s success from afar.

• Like (+1) 1

The folks that are balking at the hypothetical idea of trading two 1sts for Jimmy G because 7 NFL starts isn't a large enough sample size are likely the same people who would be happy to trade those two 1sts to move up and grab their college QB of choice with zero NFL experience. 

(again this is hypothetical, since SF is not letting him go)

Edited by BillsClinton
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only way Garropollo leaves SF is if they had a wink wink deal in place for Cousins and manage to trade Garropollo for mutiple pks. Now this gonna happen not likely at all. But like someone said here earlier if Cleveland makes a big offer including there 2 firsts. That would give the 49ers 3pks in top 10 and a QB like Cousins that Shanahan has a repore with. Well that's alot to think bout.  But enticing. 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

ll-advised Jimmy G trade will haunt Patriots if Tom Brady isn't right

Brady's sudden hand injury shifts the spotlight back to New England's controversial Jimmy Garoppolo trade.

The Patriots have a mini-crisis, and they'll have no one to blame but themselves if this turns into the worst-case scenario -- if Brady struggles and the defending Super Bowl champions lose to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.

If that's how it plays out, the Patriots will be subjected to an offseason of massive criticism, and it would be justified because they sold off the NFL's best insurance policy -- Jimmy Garoppolo -- for 50 cents on the dollar.

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The only way Garropollo leaves SF is if they had a wink wink deal in place for Cousins and manage to trade Garropollo for mutiple pks. Now this gonna happen not likely at all. But like someone said here earlier if Cleveland makes a big offer including there 2 firsts. That would give the 49ers 3pks in top 10 and a QB like Cousins that Shanahan has a repore with. Well that's alot to think bout.  But enticing. 

What a wild scenario. 

Opponents next year will take his game film apart and find his flaws and go after them mercilessly. He may be good enough to survive this, playing for a bad team hurts his chances though.

he got a who cares about a scrub pass this season

Edited by row_33

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Opponents next year will take his game film apart and find his flaws and go after them mercilessly. He may be good enough to survive this, playing for a bad team hurts his chances though.

he got a who cares about a scrub pass this season

What flaws are you referring to? 

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Jimmy is worth the risk for somebody like us, throwing pick 21&22 for him, if we thought that was acceptable to do for any other QB in the draft, I think he's equal or better than them.

Cleveland? No f*cking way would they even consider #1 and #4 .

14 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

This sounds like the same excuse some still spout about Trent Edwards, "he was really good until that hit in the Arizona game..."  The fact is that RG III's game wasn't actually sustainable in the NFL because he didn't have/never developed most of the skills that an NFL QB needs to be better than mediocre, such as reading defenses, pocket presence, etc.  In college and as a rookie, he could get by with just using his physical ability but as NFL DCs developed "a book" on him,  he got worse and worse.  That's not something unique to RG III.  It's the same thing that befell both Kaepernick and Osweiler among others, which is why posters are saying "you need to see success over a longer period to judge a QB".   It's why I'm not annointing DeShon Watson as a great QB so far .... a 7 or 10 game sample simply isn't enough. 

If you roll back to the end of 2016, who was supposedly the best QB in the Class of 2016?  Dak Prescott, hands down.  Fast forward to 2017, and it's clear that Carson Wentz is head and shoulders the best so far but Jared Goff is now at least in the picture while there are some real question marks developing around Prescott because of how well he didn't play in 2017.