Jimmy Garoppolo

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

I would rather have given up a second round pick when I could of bought low with the risk of not knowing then pay somebody else a Kings ransom and getting it right. It just gives me a feeling like I'm savvy. 

So I probably wouldn't just because of that. Plus I would like to see a full season. I'm not saying he isn't good. I think he will be. Not saying he isn't worth it, probably would take more now. 

I just wouldn't want to buy something from you for $20 right after you payed $5. 

Not relevant since he was never going to be traded to the Bills. 

55 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

SF would want more than two at the bottom of the first round.  no question.  the guy is proven NFL-ready.   we can't even trade our two 1st round picks to get in the top 5, so why would SF trade G for essentially a 8th or 9th round 1 pick, when all the franchise QB types will be gone.  

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is talking about trading for Jimmy G.  He's presupposing the '49ers use the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.

The non-exclusive franchise tag allows other teams to talk to him and present offers, but requires the offering team to give the 49ers 2-1st round picks in compensation if SF can't or doesn't choose to match the offer and he signs elsewhere.  It's a steep price to pay - you outbid everyone else and structure your offer to bolix your cap so that the franchising team can't match, and then in addition you hand over your first round picks.  Lose-lose.

I don't know of any rule about where the first round picks have to be.  I don't think SF gets to pick and choose on that point.  I'm not even sure there's a rule about what to do if the signing team has 2 1st round picks that year, I think the presumption is you give up your 1st round picks this year and next.

1 hour ago, HoserE said:

Maybe one of the 1st rounders...no way you give up both

See above....you don't get a choice under the non-exclusive franchise tag.  You give 2 1st round picks, thems the rules

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he would look amazing in a Bills uniform. I'm wondering. Say 49's would entertain it. Do you think our two first rounders would get it done?

Edited by Lfod

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is talking about trading for Jimmy G.  He's presupposing the '49ers use the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.

The non-exclusive franchise tag allows other teams to talk to him and present offers, but requires the offering team to give the 49ers 2-1st round picks in compensation if SF can't or doesn't choose to match the offer and he signs elsewhere.  It's a steep price to pay - you outbid everyone else and structure your offer to bolix your cap so that the franchising team can't match, and then in addition you hand over your first round picks.  Lose-lose.

I don't know of any rule about where the first round picks have to be.  I don't think SF gets to pick and choose on that point.  I'm not even sure there's a rule about what to do if the signing team has 2 1st round picks that year, I think the presumption is you give up your 1st round picks this year and next.

See above....you don't get a choice under the non-exclusive franchise tag.  You give 2 1st round picks, thems the rules

You answered a question I had. Appreciate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I would.  He has the look of a budding superstar and has been observing Brady for 3 years.  Absolutely a better risk than anyone going into the draft.

Bills D has been observing Brady for 17 years.  No superstars.....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

I think he would look amazing in a Bills uniform. I'm wondering. Say 49's would entertain it. Do you think our two first rounders would get it done?

Why would they trade him?  Franchise QBs don't grow on trees and they wouldn't even entertain the idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bingo.

I heard Washington might non exclusive cousins to try and force a team to fork over the picks.

With the non exclusive, does the same "consecutive franchise" pay bump still apply?

This would be Kirk's third year in a row, with a 44% bump to around $35mil guaranteed.

That is a dangerous game of chicken to play if nobody decided to tender him an offer, you're stuck with that bill and a guy who doesn't want to play for you.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why would they trade him?  Franchise QBs don't grow on trees and they wouldn't even entertain the idea. 

I misunderstood the premises of the thread. Hapless Bills Fan explained that the thread wasn't based on a trade. I understand better now. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he hits the market that should be priority number 1.  2 first rd picks and a hefty contract.  Worth it imo.  Not many guys like him become available.  He’s never lost a start.  Albeit against some below average competition.  He lit up the jags.  I’d do it in a heartbeat. 30+ mill a year and five up the picks

15 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We should of just offered a 1st when we had a chance. Bill would of accepted it even if the trade was in the division 

I disagree.  No way to orbe either way.  Good organizations don’t seem to do that kind of thing very often.  If it were to be for a lb or WR.  Any other position....other than QB.  Especially a QB he wanted to potentially give up Brady for (iirc)

59 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I would rather have given up a second round pick when I could of bought low with the risk of not knowing then pay somebody else a Kings ransom for getting it right. It just gives me a feeling like I'm savvy. 

So I probably wouldn't just because of that. Plus I would like to see a full season. I'm not saying he isn't good. I think he will be. Not saying he isn't worth it, probably would take more now. 

I just wouldn't want to buy something from you for $20 right after you payed $5. 

It's a different price depending on the buyer. BB let him go to an NFC team - one that he'll only face once every four years - for a second-round pick. He wouldn't make that trade with a division rival, or even another AFC team in a different division.

Edited by WhoTom

In a heartbeat

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

5 games starts in SF and 2 starts in NE.   

I wouldnt gamble on such such a small sample.   Tim Tebow was a winner.   

No, not a comparison just a statement. 

Why did NE let him go if he’s really good?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

Talk about tunnel vision to try and argue your point. It takes half a second to see he's a legit QB while Tebow was a novelty act. You're just trolling now. He has SEVEN starts and wasn't going to re-sign with NE to be a backup when he can play. You think they were going to franchise a backup QB? By your logic there are no good free agents ever because why would their teams "let them go"

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This.  If they put him on the open market, he would have brought much more than a 2nd.  The SF trade was Belicheck holding a fire sale for whatever motivations he had (ensure he goes out of the division and conference, ensure he goes to a good home, whatevs)