What would it (realistically) take to get Alex Smith?

NickelCity

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Plenty of success versus AFC East

Bills and Chiefs already have a trade relationship

Window is closing on current roster

Trade allows Bills to address other needs in draft

Gives Brian Daboll a chance to have early success

Getting a top QB in draft seems unrealistic

Could be a bridge or long-term option

Upgrade to Tyrod Taylor

The only guy I'd rather have over Alex Smith is Kirk Cousins and he will probably be almost 2x the cost per year. I just hope it doesn't take that first pick of the Chiefs, but it just might. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

The only guy I'd rather have over Alex Smith is Kirk Cousins and he will probably be almost 2x the cost per year. I just hope it doesn't take that first pick of the Chiefs, but it just might. 

No way I'd give up a first for a soon to be 34 year old middle tiered QB.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Like who for example? Here's the list: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Well for one, there are the 2 Vikings QBs that would make a lot of sense.  Would also keep TT on the list of options as a Vet to keep the seat warm for a rookie.  Then you got some guys like McCown and even possibly a franchise QB option in Cousins which landing Cousins would allow us to use all our picks on other positions obviously.  

3 hours ago, hemma said:

Philadelphia sent Knees Bradford for the 14th overall pick + an additional pick this year and somehow we'll be able to pick up Smith for a 3rd or 4th?

Reid lets that happen, it's time for him to go into Witness Protection & retire.

Pretty different situations. We haven't even hit the offseason yet, Smith is on the final year of his contract, and KC has his perceived successor on the roster and a year into their system and he may supplant Smith before the season starts.

Minnesota experienced a catastrophic injury to their starting QB between preseason week 4 and regular season week 1. Bradford had just signed a 2 year contract, and Wentz had yet to even take a regular season snap or prep for a regular season game.

6 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

He lead the NFL in passer rating this year...that's top 10 in something. And, PFF had him ranked 7th among QBs....thats top 10 too.

Key words are "this year" which makes it an aberration in comparison to his other years in the league.

5 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Pretty different situations. We haven't even hit the offseason yet, Smith is on the final year of his contract, and KC has his perceived successor on the roster and a year into their system and he may supplant Smith before the season starts.

Minnesota experienced a catastrophic injury to their starting QB between preseason week 4 and regular season week 1. Bradford had just signed a 2 year contract, and Wentz had yet to even take a regular season snap or prep for a regular season game.

This, and add in KC's cap situation where everyone knows they got to shed $8.2 M before the league year begins, plus enough to cover the rookie contracts this spring

Fundamently, the Bradford trade was a "seller's market" since Min. was trying to persuade the Iggles to hand over their starter, just before the season

Right now KC has a "buyer's market" on their hands since if they don't get the trade deal done, they either have to cut Smith, or else cut/renegotiate at least 2 other guys.

Now that could change if there are several enthusiastic trade partners and a bidding war gets going, but sometimes pundits have a different viewpoint of the "who needs a QB?" sweepstakes than the teams themselves have.  For example, whoever the Giants new HC is may think Eli Manning is due for redemption.  And if Blake Bortles wins the AFC Championship, it's gonna be hard to tell his Jaguar teammates "we had to move on".

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This, and add in KC's cap situation where everyone knows they got to shed $8.2 M before the league year begins, plus enough to cover the rookie contracts this spring

Fundamently, the Bradford trade was a "seller's market" since Min. was trying to persuade the Iggles to hand over their starter, just before the season

Right now KC has a "buyer's market" on their hands since if they don't get the trade deal done, they either have to cut Smith, or else cut/renegotiate at least 2 other guys.

Now that could change if there are several enthusiastic trade partners and a bidding war gets going, but sometimes pundits have a different viewpoint of the "who needs a QB?" sweepstakes than the teams themselves have.  For example, whoever the Giants new HC is may think Eli Manning is due for redemption.  And if Blake Bortles wins the AFC Championship, it's gonna be hard to tell his Jaguar teammates "we had to move on".

Very well said.

Smith is towards the end of his career, Bradford was not, so even with his injuries, he was like 28-29 years old, Smith is going on 34 before the season starts.

That's a big agree Gap, and must be taken into account.

In regards to bortles, even if they lose but he plays well, it'll be hard to justify letting him go, even though I'm not sure he's made "the leap" because I'm pretty sure this season is an anomaly for him overall.

Kinda like back with Brady-bledsoe though.

(Granted Brady won the Superbowl, but let's not forget bledsoe won a playoff game that year for them)

They traded Drew because they couldn't justify not keeping Brady as the starter, even though if you look back, Brady's season wasn't that great overall other than the record and the Superbowl (obv important lol)

14 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I stop reading when you're putting Alex Smith above Tyrod. Keep the draft pick and draft a guy. But yea, you're smarter than everyone. Douche.

Or just pay less for a veteran. I don't think you actually think about what you're saying. I'm sure you've stopped reading by now, but I'm not so sure if it's a choice.

I'd rather watch Tyrod than see this !@#$s opinion again. That should be good though, right? Because the guy stopped reading. !@#$ off you arrogant ass.

You're also a moron giving up a 3rd for that. Andy, since you are on a first name basis, is fleecing you dumping that salary and 5 years of usage. 

I don’t think name calling is necessary. I also happen to think Tyrod isn’t the answer to the quarter back position for the Buffalo Bills. I also believe by basically every measurable possible Alex Smith has achieved more success in the NFL and has better numbers. I bet I would like Tyrod better than Alex Smith, but I think Alex Smith is a better quarterback. I think the Bills need to find a long term solution in a drafted quarterback. I think the Bills would be wise to investigate how all vets possibly  available handled themselves while in a position of having a rookie study under them. 

19 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Smith is towards the end of his career, Bradford was not, so even with his injuries, he was like 28-29 years old, Smith is going on 34 before the season starts.

So he'll be 6 years younger than Brees and 7 years younger than Tommy in other words.

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t think name calling is necessary. I also happen to think Tyrod isn’t the answer to the quarter back position for the Buffalo Bills. I also believe by basically every measurable possible Alex Smith has achieved more success in the NFL and has better numbers. I bet I would like Tyrod better than Alex Smith, but I think Alex Smith is a better quarterback. I think the Bills need to find a long term solution in a drafted quarterback. I think the Bills would be wise to investigate how all vets possibly  available handled themselves while in a position of having a rookie study under them. 

You mean you wouldn't be cool with this attitude?

Edited by ndirish1978

Just now, reddogblitz said:

So he'll be 6 years younger than Brees and 7 years younger than Tommy in other words.

So two statistical anomalies

Also two of the top 10 all time greats

One of whom many consider the GOAT

Even if they have statistical falloff with aging, they would still be upper tier.

Smith isn't even in the same universe as these two.

Smith also relies on legs and athleticism to move around the pocket.

The natural decline in athleticism with aging would be worse on him.

23 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

You have a strange way of rating QB’s if you think Cousins, Newton or Stafford are better. 

If you don’t thin that those guts are better than Alex Smith then I think your credibility on this issue just took a large hit.

31 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He most likely is not towards the end of his career.  He is in the prime of his career and the way most QB's are playing and as agile as he still is, he probably has at LEAST 5-6 more good years left.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

He most likely is not towards the end of his career.  He is in the prime of his career and the way most QB's are playing and as agile as he still is, he probably has at LEAST 5-6 more good years left.

Really? At LEAST 5-6 good years?

So that's high level until he's 38-39 years old.

On a guy who needs his mobility/agility?

When that falls off, so will he, dramatically.

Oh, let's not forget he's been tossed from two teams now.

I'm not sure what all the love for him is.