Lets just go for Cam

jtothebrown

14 hours ago, H2o said:

:lol: You're joking right? Cam can actually throw an accurate pass. Lamar? Not so much. His completion percentage isn't going to get better in the NFL. 

Why not?  It's gotten better each year he's played.  With actual coaching why couldn't it go up?

Even if it stayed where it is, it's no different than Newton's  is now.  And Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why not?  It's gotten better each year he's played.  With actual coaching why couldn't it go up?

Even if it stayed where it is, it's no different than Newton's  is now.  And Wentz. 

Have you seen Jackson play, I mean actually watched him? He is a project who's likely position will be other than QB in the NFL. He's a great athlete, but not a very good QB. He is a bigger, slightly faster version of Tyrod. He's too inaccurate to make it at the next level. 

Just now, H2o said:

Have you seen Jackson play, I mean actually watched him? He is a project who's likely position will be other than QB in the NFL. He's a great athlete, but not a very good QB. He is a bigger, slightly faster version of Tyrod. He's too inaccurate to make it at the next level. 

I've seen him play.  I also recall the exact same thing being said over and over a year ago about Watson and his "accuracy" problems (he was a 67% career passer!).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I've seen him play.  I also recall the exact same thing being said over and over a year ago about Watson and his "accuracy" problems (he was a 67% career passer!).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/deshaun-watson-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamar-jackson-1.html

Not even close. I have watched numerous games of both and Watson was a far better QB than Jackson has ever been.

Edited by H2o

10 hours ago, H2o said:

Because he went from 54%, to 56%, to 59% against COLLEGE competition. Like I said, he couldn't even complete 60% of his passes at the college level. He's not going to get to the NFL, where everyone on defense is the better than he previously faced, and all of a sudden become a more accurate passer. He's not. It would be a huge mistake to draft him early.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

1 hour ago, H2o said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/deshaun-watson-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamar-jackson-1.html

Not even close. I have watched numerous games of both and Watson was a far better QB than Jackson has ever been.

Pro Football Focus seems to think otherwise. Jackson's completion pct. was adjusted by them due to numerous dropped passes by his receivers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-after-week-14

IMO Jackson may very well be the player who tops Beane's list. Beane was part of the braintrust that picked Cam. And Beane has pretty much told us that he wants to draft the guy who is simply the most talented, not the guy who happens to fit a particular coordinators scheme. Adjust the offence, not the player. 

A very strong argument can be made for saying that Jackson is the most talented player in this class. I'm pretty sure that Beane would not have supported drafting Cam unless he felt confident that he could develop into a QB who.could execute from the pocket, whatever else he might be able to do. I don't think he would draft Jackson unless he felt the same way about him. But Jackson has shown continuing improvement as a passer in each of his years at Louisville, while lacking a strong supporting class. His footwork needs improvement but with improved footwork should come better accuracy. He otherwise has a ton of arm talent. 

Jackson also ran a very complicated pro style offence under coach Petrino, requiring him to read defences and go through his progressions. He was completely in control of that offence. He is arguably much better prepared for the next level than a guy like Rudolph. To suggest that he is not a QB is ridiculous. He is and will continue to be a QB, not a wide receiver lol.

There is a good chance he's at the top of Beane's wish list.

39 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Pro Football Focus seems to think otherwise. Jackson's completion pct. was adjusted by them due to numerous dropped passes by his receivers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-after-week-14

Oh yes, PFF is like the New King James. :rolleyes: He's not gonna make it as a QB in the NFL and God knows I pray at night we don't make the mistake of drafting him. 

I had to laugh when I saw the title, this is a bigger possibility then most Buffalo fans believe

The Big concern in Carolina is Cam Newton is injury prone,non-motivated, and overpaid

A trade is not impossible, there is that Carolina connection

Cam Newton cancelled his Instagram account and any reference to the team

Google it

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

IMO Jackson may very well be the player who tops Beane's list. Beane was part of the braintrust that picked Cam. And Beane has pretty much told us that he wants to draft the guy who is simply the most talented, not the guy who happens to fit a particular coordinators scheme. Adjust the offence, not the player. 

A very strong argument can be made for saying that Jackson is the most talented player in this class. I'm pretty sure that Beane would not have supported drafting Cam unless he felt confident that he could develop into a QB who.could execute from the pocket, whatever else he might be able to do. I don't think he would draft Jackson unless he felt the same way about him. But Jackson has shown continuing improvement as a passer in each of his years at Louisville, while lacking a strong supporting class. His footwork needs improvement but with improved footwork should come better accuracy. He otherwise has a ton of arm talent. 

Jackson also ran a very complicated pro style offence under coach Petrino, requiring him to read defences and go through his progressions. He was completely in control of that offence. He is arguably much better prepared for the next level than a guy like Rudolph. To suggest that he is not a QB is ridiculous. He is and will continue to be a QB, not a wide receiver lol.

There is a good chance he's at the top of Beane's wish list.

It's nice to read a well informed post!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Okay, we'll just use your references as gospel

I'm on record in numerous threads saying Jackson can't make it as a QB in the NFL my friend and I stand by it. His role will be as a Kordell Stewart type of player, but he is a better athlete. 

14 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, if we want to see passes flying over their target we should just keep Taylor not take his clone.

Jackson is not a Tyrod clone. He can stand in the pocket deliver strikes from different angles, he flicks his wrist and throws darts to any part of the field. Oh and by the way he just so happpens to be the most dynamic running quarterback ever. He will be more than okay, and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he turned out to be the QB they end up going after. 

Earmark this thread for the annual end of year awards.  Such a gem and we aren't halfway through January. 

Op displaying quite the football acumen and ability to think logically.

I honestly think that there should be a test before being able to start a thread.   Smh.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:54 PM, the skycap said:

Why do this when Cam 2.0 is in upcoming draft? Lamar Jackson is just as dynamic as Cam Newton except that he is 20 lbs lighter and comes with less baggage.

Actually he's more like 35-40 pounds lighter which is an enormous difference.  Cam is a truck and Jackson is a thin mint.  Not saying he can't be good

53 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Actually he's more like 35-40 pounds lighter which is an enormous difference.  Cam is a truck and Jackson is a thin mint.  Not saying he can't be good

As a runner he is more explosive than Cam ever was. He increased his bulk this past year over 2016. He needs to pack on another 15lbs. At 6'3" 230 he will be fine. A lot of that will come from his frame naturally filling out as he ages, then he will also be on a S&C program. 

Why do this when Cam 2.0 is in upcoming draft? Lamar Jackson is just as dynamic as Cam Newton except that he is 20 lbs lighter and comes with less baggage.

I am thinking Lamar is a revamped version of Tyrod. More turnoverbut will make more plays

On 1/15/2018 at 10:08 PM, PIZ said:

Seems like Jackson would be a good QB for Dabolls offense.  The guy is electric.  Imagine Jackson, Shady, and a guy like Bo Scarborough in the Buffalo snow.

Thats exactly why I may have changed my qb preference. Still early for me though. 

Lamar Jackson is actually a slower and an inch taller Tyrod Taylor. One big difference is that Lamar has been a turnover machine at times. Watched him the past two years (I live in the Louisville area) and as a passer, he is inaccurate and woefully lacking .. Andre Ware II. Avoid!!! 

8 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Lamar Jackson is actually a slower and an inch taller Tyrod Taylor. One big difference is that Lamar has been a turnover machine at times. Watched him the past two years (I live in the Louisville area) and as a passer, he is inaccurate and woefully lacking .. Andre Ware II. Avoid!!! 

Jackson has clocked a 4.34 40. Tyrod ran 4.51 at the combine. Cam ran a 4.56.

Tyrod is 6'1". Jackson is 6'3". (College measurement).

6 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

As a runner he is more explosive than Cam ever was. He increased his bulk this past year over 2016. He needs to pack on another 15lbs. At 6'3" 230 he will be fine. A lot of that will come from his frame naturally filling out as he ages, then he will also be on a S&C program. 

Never said he wasn't a better runner.  He's just a lot smaller and can't take the hits that Cam does when he runs.  He will need to add that weight