At what point do we say Antonio Brown is the GOAT?

Process

1 hour ago, Hurricane Marv said:

He's not the greatest yet but I'm kind of surprised by how many people are dismissing this.  It's really not a completely ridiculous opinion.  His last five years has got to be one of the best stretches in history statistically speaking, and Rice didn't even really start going bonkers until his early 30's.  Brown's putting together a special career right now.

This is not true.  87?  Strike shortened season 12 games set the td record moss broke with brady.  22 tds on 65 catches.  Thats bananas.  Brown is great but calling goat is just recentcy bias.

Edited by Mat68

Moss is 2nd in td receptions he is 41 away.  TO is 2nd in yards 7,000 away.  Tony Gongzalez is second in receptions over 200 cathes away.  Rice has the most all purpose yards of all-time.  Rice has the most tds all time.  Emmit smith is second and is still 33 away.  Is antonio brown the football player in the NFL?  Jerry Rice was.

Another guy who had a phenomenal 5 year stretch (and career for that matter) was Marvin Harrison. I don't put him in the GOAT conversation because I don't think he was ever the consensus top WR in the league when he was playing, and he had the benefit of catching Peyton Manning's passes for the bulk of his career, but he put up some gaudy numbers year in, year out.

Nobody comes close to Rice. His stats are just insane. Plus all the super bowls, pro bowls, etc.

He's had a good stretch of seasons, but he'd have to do the exact same thing for many more years, which is asking a lot. He is losing his potential HoF QB soon too.

Edited by MJS

7 hours ago, Hurricane Marv said:

That's if he were to average like 1100-1200 yards per year, which might be selling him short.  He's averaged about 1560 yards per season over the last 5 seasons (!) and had a legitimate shot at 2000 this year before he got hurt.  It's a long shot for sure, but if he goes nuts for the next five years as well then he's definitely in the conversation.

Even if he were to continue to average 1,560 yards/season, he'd still need another 8-1/2 years to surpass Rice.  I doubt he's averaging more than 1,200/season in a couple years.  But time will tell.

And I'd still take Rice over anyone else.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:07 AM, Doc said:

Even if he were to continue to average 1,560 yards/season, he'd still need another 8-1/2 years to surpass Rice.  I doubt he's averaging more than 1,200/season in a couple years.  But time will tell.

And I'd still take Rice over anyone else.

The era's and rules make it difficult to compare then and now. Antonio is damn good right now, but the rules have changed so much to favor the offense. Rice still put up those numbers back then with players like Atwater, Lott (teammate I know, but making a point), LT et al. laying players out; hands down he is to GOAT. Even if his stats get taken over eventually with the same rules in place as are now, hard to say that player would be the GOAT. 

Moss took too many plays off, Tim Brown could have been even better if he didn't have trash QBs his entire career. I have to give Andre love and YAC is one of the most important WR stats when looking at great WRs. How can they make plays after they get the ball; him and Rice were 2 of the best ever....

His size will become a factor in his inability to be the GOAT. He is the best in the game right now and does it with precision route running speed and great hands. That being said if I was picking WR's that are in the NFL to start a team with I would prefer a Deandre Hopkins, AJ Green or Julio Jones type over Brown. Brown has done so well with Roethlisberger because of the ability to go deep and Ben loves to throw down field. Still amazing and fun to watch him torch defenses every week.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:12 PM, SDS said:

This argument is a bit silly. Clearly Jerry Rice has had the greatest career of any receiver.  He was also blessed with Joe Montana and Steve Young. The cards were stacked in his favor. 

I would rather ask the question this way:

Given the Hall of Fame quarterback of your choice which receiver would you rather have for one year at the peak of their career? 

Sorry Jerry, I’d take Moss. Possibly Johnson after him. 

I'd take Rice all day long.  I like my receivers to not dog it on the field.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

1. Moss 

2. Megatron

3. Irvin

People forget Rice used stick-um throughout his career but whine about the Patriots.

Any list that doesn't include Rice at # 1 is hilarious IMO and Irvin doesn't even belong in the top 20 all time. 

I think Brown is a really great player, but I don't even think he's the best receiver in the game *right now*. I'd take Julio Jones over him and wouldn't think twice about it.

EDIT: If you look at the stats of each player and factor in that Brown has played one more season, Brown's and Jones's stats are close to identical. 

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Brown is a really great player, but I don't even think he's the best receiver in the game *right now*. I'd take Julio Jones over him and wouldn't think twice about it.

I agree. Although instead of Jones I'd take Hopkins. Brown is great though no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1