How should the Bills address the QB situation, defend your position

Batman1876

If the Bills had Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins at QB this year they beat the Jags, contend for the division and perhaps even make it to the SB. 

Both QB's passed for 4000+ yards. Smith had 26 TDs, 5 INTs. Cousins had 27 TDs, 13 INTs. Just from a turnover standpoint, I'd take Alex Smith over Cousins and he should be cheaper. 17 mill vs 19 mill and Cousins will get 25 mill this year IMO.  I think the Chiefs would be so very foolish to get rid of Smith. 

If there's a QB out there either in free agency or available through a trade that the front office believes can be "the franchise", they should go out and get him.  It doesn't matter if that player is Cousins, Keenum or someone else.  The precaution of following this route is that you now have given a huge contract and locked up quite a bit of money for a number of years.  In short, the front office has to feel like the guy that they do this with is better than anything that they could do in the draft.  I would also want to point out that very few journeymen have become something special with a new team.  Lots of caution in this approach.

If there isn't one of those guys, then obviously you need to look to the draft.  Given where they pick, there's a couple of options for addressing the position.  Similar to above, if there's a guy that stands out from the field, you trade up to get him.  If there's a guy that fits this description, he's your starter in 2018.  I don't care what the position is, you do not trade up in the first round to put a guy on the bench.

If there isn't a standout among the field, they sit tight with their two picks, they take best available QB with one of them.  Several of the options are pure pocket passers and I would want to have a veteran on the team to mentor.  Tyrod can't really be the guy for Rosen, Darnold, Rosen or Rudolph.  However, give me a Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson, and I would not necessarily be opposed to bringing Taylor back on another 1 year deal.  I would make the situation similar to a few years ago and let them all play to be the starter in the preseason.

That's just me.  I do also want to point out that the Bills have started enough journeymen since their last true franchise QB.  The idea of coddling one of these young potential talents seems like a complete waste of time.  Put them on the field, see what you have and if necessary draft another one next year.  That simple to me.

I don't think Cousins is particularly clutch and I doubt he will live up to the contract he will be given.  That said, I would consider him at the right price.  I just wouldn't give him 30 million a year.  If he is subject to a bidding war, I definitely have a drop out point.  Alex Smith is a bridge qb only.  I wouldn't spend more than a third round pick to get him.  My preference is to get a qb in the draft.  If you hit, you have a cost controlled player at the most important and expensive position in football and can devote cap dollars towards multiple other positions in free agency.  I think one could bring in DL and OL help in free agency.

I like Mayfield a lot.  He is the fella I would target in the draft.  Darnold and Rosen will be too expensive to get, imo, and when all is said and done, I'm not convinced they will be better than Mayfield.  Obviously, I don't believe he is Johnny Football 2.0.  Mayfield is dedicated to playing qb.  His teammates love him.  He shows real leadership.  I like his fire.  The immaturity will naturally go away with time, imo.  I think his playmaking ability will transfer to the NFL.  Still, if you draft a qb high, you still need a veteran presence.  Smith could play that role.  If not, I'd see about the price on the Minnesota qbs or see if a savvy vet like McCown shakes loose.

I say sign either Bridgewater or McCarron since both will not command a high salary and can a bridge to a young developing QB.

Find a diamond in the rough QB in the 3rd-4th round, we aren’t getting any of the top QBs so reason to waste a the top picks on a project QB when the team has so many other issues and lacks talent everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, K-Apps said:

I say sign either Bridgewater or McCarron since both will not command a high salary and can a bridge to a young developing QB.

Find a diamond in the rough QB in the 3rd-4th round, we aren’t getting any of the top QBs so reason to waste a the top picks on a project QB when the team has so many other issues and lacks talent everywhere. 

This is the losing mentality that kept us out of the playoffs for 17 years. You're basically asking for Orton/EJ 2, oh except EJ was a first round pick and theoretically had a higher chance of being better than your mid-round hail mary.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

This is the losing mentality that kept us out of the playoffs for 17 years. You're basically asking for Orton/EJ 2, oh except EJ was a first round pick and theoretically had a higher chance of being better than your mid-round hail mary.   

How is it losing mentality if overall roster is stronger with better players sans QB. Look at the Vikings, they have a great roster filled with players they drafted. To me, strengthening the roster is more important than getting a QB in this draft. The biggest problem during the streak was drafting based on supposed needs instead of drafting BPA and not smart drafting plans. Biggest mistake any team can make in the forcing picks, numerous teams including the Bills can done this especially in terms of QB, just look at the 2011 Draft.

31 minutes ago, K-Apps said:

...Vikes have nobody under contract.......so odd man out from a health perspective would be Bradford (and no NOT in Bflo) with their efforts to sign Keenum and Bridgewater....never understood why we didn't take a flyer on McCarron in the 4th out of 'Bama.....pedestrian, nothing flashy, but smart and cerebral steady with the football (or Dalton in the 2nd out of TCU for that matter)......OBD has the knack for finding cubic zirconia in the "3rd or 4th"....after all, OBD is the "Master of QB Selection and Development" post Kelly.....check their historical "list".....hell even Waste Management would decline pickup.......definitely picking in the 1st and my wild guess is Rudolph, safe and non-sexy is there at 21......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, K-Apps said:

How is it losing mentality if overall roster is stronger with better players sans QB. Look at the Vikings, they have a great roster filled with players they drafted. To me, strengthening the roster is more important than getting a QB in this draft. The biggest problem during the streak was drafting based on supposed needs instead of drafting BPA and not smart drafting plans. Biggest mistake any team can make in the forcing picks, numerous teams including the Bills can done this especially in terms of QB, just look at the 2011 Draft.

Please tell me the last time a non-elite QB won the Superbowl? Answer: 2002 and it was Brad Johnson. The last great example of winning how you want to win occurred SIXTEEN YEARS ago. Here are the QBs who have won the SB since Johnson:

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs

This team will go nowhere without a QB. We have been afraid to pull the trigger and actually spend the capital to draft a franchise QB, but we can trade 2 1sts for a WR who didn't even play out his rookie contract for some reason? I'm tired of having no shot at winning games in the 4th quarter when we're down. I'm sick and tired of having no long term plan at QB and everyone's "let's just get someone who isn't terrible, QB can be "next year's problem."

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Agreed.

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Please tell me the last time a non-elite QB won the Superbowl? Answer: 2002 and it was Brad Johnson. The last great example of winning how you want to win occurred SIXTEEN YEARS ago. Here are the QBs who have won the SB since Johnson:

This team will go nowhere without a QB. We have been afraid to pull the trigger and actually spend the capital to draft a franchise QB, but we can trade 2 1sts for a WR who didn't even play out his rookie contract for some reason? I'm tired of having no shot at winning games in the 4th quarter when we're down. I'm sick and tired of having no long term plan at QB and everyone's "let's just get someone who isn't terrible, QB can be "next year's problem."

And tell me you think the Bills are any shot at getting any of those supposed QB prospects and do the Bills have the offensive coaching and personnel currently for any young QB to succeed?, answer those questions well and I’ll consider you to be right. And btw, Flacco, Eli, and Wilson when he won are not elite QBs imo, solid but both Ravens and Giants were decent teams with good defenses. You don’t need a star QB, it just that the Pats have the greatest coach and QB combo and everybody goes gag over. To really need a well-balanced team and is good on both sides of the ball. And that’s been one of the Bills biggest problem. 

Edited by K-Apps

On 1/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, Batman1876 said:

I agree You don’t let the guy that won you double digit games walk and then keep the guys who spend multiple seasons on IR.

and why i want Teddy.
consider that a bridge while drafting something decent .

gotta draft smart at QB this year. and next

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

The interesting about this list is that there are so few names on it as the key to winning the SB seems to be have a QB named Tom Brady.

I think that analysis based on this one outcome (winning the SB) os a bit too limited for realistic analysis.  For example, the realistic goal for the Bills this year was merely find a QB capable of getting this team into the playoffs.  Congrats to TT for doing this, but see ya later and don't let the door hit ya on the way out as it is very doubtful you can lead us to the new goal which is to go deep in the playoffs.

If you want your analysis to be relevant to reality, you might expand your universe of QBs to looking for patterns of the 4 QBs who led their team to the conference final..

Is there any consistency in how this pool is acquired?

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Brad Johnson was better than any of our QBs.  

On 1/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

1. Go all-in on Kirk Cousins.

2. If #1 fails, try to get either Case Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater. Then choose a quarterback with one of the first four picks in the draft (21, 22, 53, or 56).

3. If #1 and #2 fail, trade for Alex Smith then draft a quarterback with one of the first four picks in the draft (21, 22, 53, or 56) or trade up for a QB.

4. Trade draft picks 21 and 22 for a Top 10 pick and choose a QB. Let Peterman and the rookie battle it out in training camp for the starting spot.

This.  

12 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

All of these teams had top defenses that got key takeaways in big moments.  Roethlisberger, Brady, Flacco, Wilson, E.Manning and even Peyton Manning's 2nd superbowl win were about them not making big mistakes, making a few key plays in big moments and the Defense dominating.

To me, this list shows that an elite defense is required more often than an elite QB carrying the team (Brees and Rodgers here).

On 1/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, simool said:

How: Whatever Beane and McDermott decide to do.

Why: It's their job.

^This. No one should should be upset with this answer nor fight to the death on any other. 

Having said that I could be little disappointed in a few scenarios including mortgaging a ton of picks to get top 5 pick or overpaying for a FA. But if they do, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.