How about signing Romo AND drafting the future?

Steptide

With Romo being out of the NFL the last year he's had time to heal up. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him (if fully healthy) and drafting the guy for the future. Although we see it occasionally, it's not super common to have a 1st year starter and be successful. Plus you have a veteran like Romo to learn under. Maybe give Romo a 2 year deal? I dunno. Just thinking out loud here

I just can't see someone like Alex Smith or kirk cousins being the guy(s) that lead us to the promised land

I wouldn't mind Romo as quarterbacks coach, but you'd have to be out of your mind to make him a starting quarterback.

Hell, he'd be out of his mind to do it.  He's CBS' top color guy and probably one of the best we've seen in recent memory.  No way he gives up that cushy job for a QB position.

2 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

I would totally hire Romo and pay him big $$ to be our offensive coordinator. The guys is going to be a great coach if he decides to go that route.

Dont be suprised if he is the HC in Dallas after next year!

I'd love him as some type of coach. Maybe not oc quite yet 

12 minutes ago, jtothebrown said:

I would totally hire Romo and pay him big $$ to be our offensive coordinator. The guys is going to be a great coach if he decides to go that route.

I'd pay Romo big $$ to be our "assistant to the DC," just sitting in the booth and calling out the offensive formations via a secret radio set, like Ernie Adams does for Belichick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

With Romo being out of the NFL the last year he's had time to heal up. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him (if fully healthy) and drafting the guy for the future. Although we see it occasionally, it's not super common to have a 1st year starter and be successful. Plus you have a veteran like Romo to learn under. Maybe give Romo a 2 year deal? I dunno. Just thinking out loud here

I just can't see someone like Alex Smith or kirk cousins being the guy(s) that lead us to the promised land

Romo is a fool if he returns to the field for any team.  He is one hard hit away from not being able to walk his kids to school. 

He has also enjoyed success and positive feedback as a broadcaster, and he's on the record publicly saying he thought he'd try coaching, but he loves the broadcast job because it allows him to be at home with his young kids during the day.

I'm interested though: if you go look at Romo's game logs and stats, then go look at Cousins and at Smith, what is it that leads you to vote Y-N-N?

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I'd pay Romo big $$ to be our "assistant to the DC," just sitting in the booth and calling out the offensive formations via a secret radio set, like Ernie Adams does for Belichick.

Oh yeah yeah.  He could probably call out the defensive formations and what the options should be prior to the snap too.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's not leaving the studio booth to play a season or two in Buffalo.  There's a better chance of Kyle Orton coming back.

This ^

He's landed the dream job for life after professional sports.  Now he gets to spend his days talking football with his buddies and announce a game on Sunday.  He'll make millions for many years to come and never has to take another lick for it.

I'd be very surprised if he even has aspirations to come out of the booth to take a lowly coaching job.  I mean, why would he?  He's surrounded by football buddies and has absolutely no pressure on him other than to work on his handicap.  In fact, you're more likely to see him wind up on the PGA circuit than on a football sidelines.

Come on man!! Romo did the right thing for himself and his family.......he dosent want to live his later life in a wheelchair....plus i really like his broadcasting ability,....he calls a better game than most and is entertaining to say the least......stay in the booth dude...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Tony romo never lead Dallas to the promised land either. What would make you think that he could now, in Buffalo, at the age of 40, almost 2 years since he played?

2 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

I said more or less the same thing a week or so ago in another thread.

His playing days are over, but I think he would make a heck of a coach or QB advisor type.

Especially b/c he is relatively young and still closely connected to his playing days, I think it would be really interesting to pay him to hang around the team, attend practices, and sort of be the "big brother" of the QB we draft...the big brother who happens to be a pretty good, ex-NFL QB.

It wouldn't be the same thing as a "QB coach" or an OC, etc...

Could be more of a personal even private relationship with the QB...an extra set of eyes and head to help get through things as the QB struggles to put it all together.

You can tell he would be a fantastic teacher.