Goodwin and Woods

Spiderweb

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Amazed at Goodwin staying healthy. His issue wasn’t talent. 

Track guys try to stay light.  Maybe now that he's full time in football he's put on some muscle in places that make him stronger football-wise?

Edited by keepthefaith

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

If they had stayed, they would have had 200 and 300 yards respectively.

If they were lucky.  Tyrod is a receivers worst nightmare.

Also, Sammy Watkins 39 - 593.

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

WR also get hurt alot with inaccurate QBs. Just saying

EJ would be an example of that.......he literally got Sammy's ribs broken and Woods nearly killed by Lavonte David once.

I think certain styles of offense can be really rough on WR's.........the WCO and NE's offense both expose their WR to a ton of hits........and they cycle thru a lot of bodies.  NE typically needs about 10 of them to get thru a season.

The worst "thrown into injury" throw of the Tyrod era was actually the Peterman throw to Benjamin in LA that busted up KB's meniscus.   Right on point but not worth the risk.

With defensive backs aiming for knees in the middle of the field instead of high hits........you really have to weigh whether to even call those plays.......you run your star WR's into injury and your star young Jared Goff or Carson Wentz turns into a pumpkin quick........so those teams were pretty heavy on creating space or throwing the ball deep or with the protection of the sideline.

Tyrod has been a pretty pain-free QB for receivers to play for.   They weren't very complicated in the passing game under Roman/Lynn but they were further ahead of the curve than they were this year trying to play a modified WCO.   Matthews got busted up on a quick pass in Atlanta where they tried to get sneaky and ran him into the DL.   Just utter stupidity exposing your "at the time" #1 WR to a hit by a DL. :doh:

1 hour ago, Yav said:

Speak for yourself. 

I always said Woods was the best WR on the roster. He blocks and runs great routes and has strong hands. He reminds me of Steve Smith a bit. 

Benjamin is a damn good WR so the Bills have that going for them. 

We as the Bills organization. The previous Bills regime.... Not the fans. They assumed cause of stats that they were the problem when it was clearly Tyrod

21 minutes ago, PIZ said:

If they were lucky.  Tyrod is a receivers worst nightmare.

Also, Sammy Watkins 39 - 593.

Watkins didn't put up those low numbers with Tyrod. 

He put up 80 yards per game in a similarly healthy season with Tyrod in 2015.

And Woods was out or limited in 7 games in 2016 and still put up 600+ yards with Tyrod......I think he had like 170 more this year with more healthy snaps.

Deonte Thompson had by far his best run of his career with Tyrod this year.

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

I’m alittle surprised by Goodwin but not Woods... We all said Sammy was under used here, but I think it is pretty obvious we can’t get a good read on our WRs until we replace Tyrod. Sammy, Robert, Goodwin and Hogan is a real good group of guys we once had. 

It was an outstanding group of guys. I still remember getting laughed off the BBMB board for saying Hogan or Goodwin could be solid WR#2's for any team in the NFL. Wish I could pull that thread up.

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Amazed at Goodwin staying healthy. His issue wasn’t talent. 

Goodwin was relatively healthy in '16 with the Bills as he was this season until week 17 when he sustained a concussion: https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/31/49ers-goodwin-taken-to-hospital-after-frightening-hit/

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

59 for 962 and 56 for 781 (approx)..  Goodwin seemed to have a pretty darned good year and Woods was very good for the Rams posse of WR's... Sure could have used some of that production and Goodwin's speed (17.2 per catch)...... Alas, we let

them both walk...

...but I think you have to be realistic......not many were warm 'n fuzzy with Goodwin because of his injuries despite his speed.....don't recall a single tear when they let him walk....now that he has been productive elsewhere is pure hindsight as far as shoulda...coulda....woulda.......Woods was more of a known.... dinged a bit but a durable and dependable kid with good blocking skills.....pundits here justified letting him walk because of his price which I think is $8 mil/yr.......with what the Pack just did with Adams, the bar of absurdity has risen to where Robert was a steal at 8 mil......

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Goodwin was relatively healthy in '16 with the Bills as he was this season until week 17 when he sustained a concussion: https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/31/49ers-goodwin-taken-to-hospital-after-frightening-hit/

Goodwin struggled to stay healthy in 2016.

I knew he had been dogging it for 3 years.......refusing to play thru ANY injury that might slow his track game down......hence the trips to IR where he resumed his Bills-financed training for the 2016 Olympics.

After tanking in trials he shows up in mid-August at rail-thin track weight having not even practiced football in nearly a year and having to show himself worthy of that "second contract".

Him dramatically dragging himself off the field with his arms like he was paralyzed from the waist down at the end of the Jets game in Buffalo was the beginning of a solid season of watching him have to work and learn how to be an NFL WR so he could get that "second contract" which he identified as his top football goal.:lol:

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Tyrod could have had Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Terrell Owens in their prime out there yesterday and we still would have scored just three points.

Jim Kelly in his prime could've have played QB yesterday and I think the Bills win a close game. I think a whole lot of posters are underestimating just how good Jax's D played.

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Jim Kelly in his prime could've have played QB yesterday and I think the Bills win a close game. I think a whole lot of posters are underestimating just how good Jax's D played.

I don't know about that even.   Big Ben threw 5 picks at home against that D.   It's a matchup league and Tyrod was a bad matchup for a Jags team that wants to rush the passer and collect interceptions.   People can hate Tyrod all day but the Bills were 6-2 at home.  The two losses were to possible SB teams.  Needed the defense to turn Bortles over yesterday and he *only* gave them two chances and they didn't collect.   Normally you'd expect a couple more for Blake.  It was an unwatchable season, IMO,   but for the most part Tyrod held serve this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh Look. Another blame Tyrod for everything thread. Yayy.

"He is the reason our offense scored points in 2015 and 2016!"

"He isn't the reason our offense didn't score points this year."

What I wouldn't give for a QB who can take credit and blame equally.  The CoT is the EJ Cult on steroids.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

it would have required a big contract to keep Woods, we already had Watkins. I liked Woods but understood letting him go. Same with Goodwin, didn't earn his raise here. Front office makes a lot of blunders over the years, not sure how they could have kept these two. We would have an incredibly expensive WR group.

What do you call "Big Contract" klos? 

Woods signed for $10M guaranteed, $7M this year and $8M next, then falls off.

He's the 23rd paid WR in the NFL, which is pretty durn close to where he slots in if you project his 10 games as a starter out to 16 games.

Goodwin signed for 2 years, $4.45M guaranteed ($3.2M cap this year). 

If willing to sign similar contracts, we could have signed both Woods and Goodwin and kept Sammy for ~$11M, which would put us like, 22 or 23rd for positional spending.

The Bills are #30 in the league for positional spending on the WR group.  We spent $5.4 M on Thompson, Jones, Matthews, Benjamin, and Holmes and got 1923 yds production.

Woods and Goodwin contributed 1743 yds by themselves.  In addition, the group of 5 above started 32 games.  Goodwin and Woods started 27 games.

Maybe they wouldn't have signed here for that, or wouldn't have done as well if they signed.  Or maybe - just maybe- we got what we paid for, underwhelming performance out of a scrap-heap of other team's discards and an underperforming 2nd round rookie?

2 hours ago, fridge said:

Tyrod could have had Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Terrell Owens in their prime out there yesterday and we still would have scored just three points.

Can we do the experiment?

Bills fans always love to complain about the lack of WR's.  Hogan was a joke who would not make the roster on other teams, same for Goodwin.  Woods was OK (mabye a 2 or a 3) but not worth the money.   Then they go elswhere and we wish we still had them.  Soon that will be true for Matthews.   This is not a bash on Taylor but the reality is this offense the last three years does not utilize WR's and that has to change first.