Solution at QB?

wppete

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Nothing with this team would ever surprise me. Wouldn’t even surprise me to see Tyrod back somehow. No matter how unlikely that sounds, nothing would surprise me. Except of course, getting a true big time QB like Brees or Cousins..that would stun me. 

Agreed. Most likely: I'd say we part ways with Tyrod and bring in an AJ McCarron, or one of the QB derby losers in Minnesota. Nothing exciting. And that we use one of those 3 picks in the first 55 or so to pick a Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk. Nothing exciting again ...

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's usually not a single top 16 QB available in free agency and this year it's looking like 5 will be available. Its our best opportunity in a long time and i think we will take it. McDermott has to know this team is too far away to sell the farm for an unproven rookie when that many quality QBs are available.

Totally agree HappyDays, especially about the "sell the farm".

Everyone is pretty fired up right now, throwing a lot of options out there.

What I do know is this. 

So much has to "flesh out" with the league QB situation, nobody (even GMs) know what's going to happen.

New GM's and HC's

New OC's

Team QB Tags

Pre-Draft Pick trades

QB re-signings

QB trades.

QB releases

Free Agency

Draft

Draft Day trades

Like you said, this year is crazy with potential QB changes, more than any year I can remember.

I truly hope that Beane and McDermott methodically go through all the options and keep fluid in their thinking.

If they are the guys we need to build this team long term, we will find out a lot about them this of season (especially when it comes to the QB)

36 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The solution in Baker Mayfield. Whether this team will do the necessary things to draft him is the question. Mayfield is plug and play. 

And what is your plan for acquiring him?  Trade up to what pick and what do you trade for it.  Might have to trade up to 3 for him.  I wouldn’t want to trade all that for him.  I believe he’s a top 10 pick maybe top 5 if a team really feels the needs for a qb. If we trade into the top 10, I hope it’s for Rosen or Darnold,  wouldn’t mind trading up 5 spots or so to draft a guy not named Rudoplh, but I don’t think mayfield will be available in the teens

I personally probably only would want Darnold. He seems like the poster child for what this regime would want in a QB and a franchise face. We would have the picks to move up to #1 and we could take the luck out of it. The Browns have that 4th pick still so giving them a later pick might not completely be a deal breaker. They are also the Browns and do strange stuff all of the time.  If we aren’t going up to get that best guy, I would much rather bring in a proven FA.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Actually our thoughts are exactly the same. Vet and Rudolph or Mayfield. We differ on which vet though. Personally I've never been a fan of Smith. He, to me represents the kind of QB we need to move on from. I'm willing to wait and see what's available. What I do know is that I don't want to waste draft picks on Alex Smith. 

I respect that.  I really like those 2 rookies coming up, fingers crossed we can land one but might have to trade up with Chicago to do so?  Keenum could be interesting and Bradford when healthy looks great. Beane and McD have some interesting discussions upcoming.

Edited by Real McCoy

8 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

He plays in a QB friendly system in KC. Taylor is a poor fit in the Dennison offense. 

No way Alex Smith puts up those numbers if he was the QB under center for the Bills this year.

Those aren't gaudy numbers.  They're top 3rd in the league.  He could absolutely produce those type numbers here.

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Some of those QBs are fools gold man.  Keenum/Bradford to name two.  They sucked pretty much their whole careers and played well for Minny.  Those are system QBs that probably wouldn't do well elsewhere.

The one I definitely agree on is Keenum. When you look at his numbers he was great this year. I don't really have confidence he would replicate that though. Bradford I would take a flyer on because when he's healthy he's extremely accurate. He makes a couple eye popping throws per game. Personally I'd take Cousins first, then Smith, and then it's a toss up between Bradford and Bridgewater, and Keenum a distant 5th.

Just now, HappyDays said:

The one I definitely agree on is Keenum. When you look at his numbers he was great this year. I don't really have confidence he would replicate that though. Bradford I would take a flyer on because when he's healthy he's extremely accurate. He makes a couple eye popping throws per game. Personally I'd take Cousins first, then Smith, and then it's a toss up between Bradford and Bridgewater, and Keenum a distant 5th.

I mean, I think they are worth bringing in if its done on the cheap.  I wouldn't trade draft picks for those guys.  I wouldn't offer those guys big contracts either.  Speaking on Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum.  Not sure on Smith/Cousins.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's distinctly different reasons for wanting each of these QB's.  It's just not as simple as rating 1-5.  i.e. Cousins would be your QB for the next several years and Keenum would be a one year guy while you draft a QB.

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I mean, I think they are worth bringing in if its done on the cheap.  I wouldn't trade draft picks for those guys.  I wouldn't offer those guys big contracts either.  Speaking on Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum.  Not sure on Smith/Cousins.

I rather take a shot on McCarron while drafting QB early. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I would assume the Chiefs aren’t looking to just simply dump him. I’d be surprised if a mid round pick gets it done. 

He's gotta be worth Jimmy G. type picks.  I think we'd be moving on to NE today and I think we'd give NE some trouble with Alex Smith at the helm. 

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

There's distinctly different reasons for wanting each of these QB's.  It's just not as simple as rating 1-5.  i.e. Cousins would be your QB for the next several years and Keenum would be a one year guy while you draft a QB.

I think Keenum follows Pat Shurmur if he gets a HC position.

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I respect that.  I really like those 2 rookies coming up, fingers crossed we can land one but might have to trade up with Chicago to do so?  Keenum could be interesting and Bradford when healthy looks great. Beane and McD have some interesting discussions upcoming.

As do us fans!

21 minutes ago, Chadwick Bay Chad said:

The deal for Smith is in the works. We will trade a third and fifth for him. We may have to include Hughes 

That is way over paying for Smith. He is in the last year of his deal and they have Mahomes. I think a 4th or 5th round pick can get Smith. He would be a good mentor for what ever QB the Bills draft. 

23 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

He wants out of Washington in a big way. We have a lot of call room and draft picks. How is it unreasonable? 

Your initial response of cousins AND a quality qb prospect from the draft made it sound like it's just so easy to do one, we should do both!! Logistics aside of having to pay THAT much for a qb, why would we sign someone paid to be a franchise guy as well as invest a pick that could be used to bolster one of the many weaknesses of this team? Draft a stud with a bridge vet or go all out for cousins. Make a choice and stick w it. You can't double down with the best of both worlds. 

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

That is way over paying for Smith. He is in the last year of his deal and they have Mahomes. I think a 4th or 5th round pick can get Smith. He would be a good mentor for what ever QB the Bills draft. 

You might think it's overpaying, that doesn't mean it might not be necessary.

For all there appear to be a lot of 'options' available, there are also a lot of teams similarly interested.

Smith might not be so young any more, but he is a 'proven' commodity. Any team that wants a game manager QB, is going to be seriously interested in him. While people are talking about what we might have done with Smith as our QB, think what the Jags might have done, as a good example. There will be decent demand for Smith, and a 3rd and 5th might not actually be enough to get the job done.

What about Marrying a new QB with a guy that he has experience with? Maybe hiring a coach from the chiefs to be the OC and bringing in Smith. Keeping guys together that already have a working relationship and can get the offense going right away. Just kind of spitballing. Or maybe going all out for Cousins and then trying to hire the Redskins QB coach or something and replacing Denison with him. Try to catch some influence of the rams coach and also Gruden.

New to the board but a lifetime Bills fan since Juice and Joe Cribbs.  I like the idea of McCarron or Glennon as a bridge. I've watched Lamar Jackson his entire career being from the area. Kid is pretty electric. If Mike Vick can have a long NFL career, I think this kid could as well. To me the ideal would be to sign one of the low to mid tier guys and draft Jackson. Think he would thrive in the elements of Buffalo.