Solution at QB?

wppete

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

You guys are fooling yourself if you think Alex Smith gets traded for anything less than a 2nd rounder.

I'll bet on that.  He might but I'd take the odds that it's lower.  34 years old next season with one year remaining - I wouldn't give a second and my team needs a QB exactly like him in exactly his contract situation.  

If it was me, I would like to see us go all in for Cousins. My guess is we won’t make that happen. Alex Smith would be a very nice consolation IMO. If the Bengals wanted to move on from either Dalton or Mccarron, I would also be interested. The only way I would want a QB from the draft, if if we can somehow get to 1 with Cleveland and take Darnold. I only want to draft a QB, if it’s the guy they want the most. I don’t want them to settle for the 3rd or 4th guy. Either go up, or don’t bother.

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Why is Smith considered so much better than Taylor?

Does O’leary catch that ball if it’s from Smith instead?

Smith 4000 yards, 67.5% completion %, 26 TD, 5 INT

Tyrod 2700 yards, 62% completion, 14 TD, 4 INT

Pretty obvious. 1300 more yards, almost double the TDs, and only 1 more INT.

I'm not "on the smith bandwagon", but he's better than Taylor

Edited by Shotgunner
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Smith throws the ball to DT on that play Romo highlighted.  And to other open receivers during the game.

No I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for him.  But I don't see many better and not-bank-breaking (cough, Kirk Cousins, cough) options out there.  Even in the draft.

Just now, Shotgunner said:

Alex Smith is careful with the ball, like TT is.  He's a good scrambler but obviously not in TT's class, but he makes the throws that need to be made more often than not.  And I don't know if I'd point the post-season failures on him, when Andy Reid has a history of it.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Smith throws the ball to DT on that play Romo highlighted.  And to other open receivers during the game.

No I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for him.  But I don't see many better and not-bank-breaking (cough, Kirk Cousins, cough) options out there.  Even in the draft.

I agree with you on this.  He's actually the perfect solution to bridge us to our rookie QB drafted this year.  If the rookie isn't ready - extend Smith.

1. Draft a 1st or 2nd round QB prospect. I haven't watched enough college ball to know who we should want.

2. Acquire a veteran FA who won't break the bank. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want Kirk Cousins unless it was on a 1 or 2 year deal. The only QBs you're going to get this way are guys that other teams don't want, so keep that in mind -- you're choosing from the likes of Nick Foles, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Matt Moore, and so on. 

3. Keep Tyrod on his option for the next year.

4. Keep Peterman because he's cheap.

Go into camp with these guys. Trade one of them before the end of the preseason for market value.

3 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I'm not "on the smith bandwagon", but he's better than Taylor

Yeah he's definitively better than Tyrod at this point. I would support bringing him here and building the team around him. He was legitimately the NFL MVP for the first few weeks of the season.

9 minutes ago, Success said:

Just open your eyes.  It’s easy to see that Alex Smith is better than Tyrod.  Is he THAT much better?  I believe we win that game with Alex.  I’m not a big stat guy but he had the best qb rating in football this year.  Is he a great qb?  No, but he’s a definite upgrade over TT.  No question 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Success said:

No but Smith likely hits a couple of those deep passes Tyrod missed on, and makes some better reads to find the open receiver. Smith this year had the best passer rating in the league. He was 3rd in ANY/A. 6th in YPG and 2nd in YPA. You'd be really hard pressed to argue he isn't a significant upgrade over Tyrod right now and we likely win today's game with him as the starter.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just open your eyes.  It’s easy to see that Alex Smith is better than Tyrod.  Is he THAT much better?  I believe we win that game with Alex.  I’m not a big stat guy but he had the best qb rating in football this year.  Is he a great qb?  No, but he’s a definite upgrade over TT.  No question 

With Smith the Bills are at least the 5th seed in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

The solution in Baker Mayfield. Whether this team will do the necessary things to draft him is the question. Mayfield is plug and play. 

I have him going to the Broncos 5th overall.  No way they have enough to go after him without mortgaging it all, and he's not worth that gamble.

Edited by Doc

It's honestly really crazy the number of veteran QBs that will possibly be available next year. Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum. I would love to get one of them, use our high picks on the front 7 and offensive line, and take a project QB in the mid-rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

So at best we would have won this game.  They aren't getting by the Pats or the Steelers with him.  Sorry, I just think that Smith is the pinnacle of game manager.  Good enough for regular season wins, but not good enough to win the whole show.  Would make a great bridge QB while a real rookie QB is developed, but at what cost?

That is the real ?. Based off half the teams needing QB's in the league it prob won't be cheap.

7 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

This, he doesn't seem like it popular choice but Cousins and a rookie would be my pick.

Cousins is going to cost you 25-28 mil for 4-5 years.  You want to be stuck with that contract and draft a rookie?

Alex Smith and Rudolph. We win today with Smith at QB. I'd send Kansas City a 2nd for him without blinking so long as we can work out a long term extension.

Problem with drafting a rookie and starting him right away and expecting him to be a savior is incredibly naive. We are talking about a 21-22 year old kid. This is why Darnold and Rosen don't want to end up in Cleveland because being the 'guy' right away is a Herculean task. Does anybody think Garropolo would be the QB he is today if he didn't sit on the bench and learn behind Brady? Alex Smith could buy a young QB at least 2-3 years with absolutely no pressure on a 21-22 year old kid fresh out of college. We would win right away, right now in the short term and the future.