Horse collar tackles are illegal but apparently...

bills6969

2 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

What would’ve happened if it was Tom Brady

He would have stayed in the pocket and threw the ball. 

I know that seems like a smartass comment but it's the truth. One guy gets hit regularly because he is always leaving the pocket, the other one screams like a petulant child when he gets touched. The refs obviously try to protect the later, fair or not.

27 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

If that was Jerry Hughes making that tackle on Bortles who was beyond the LOS I wouldn't have wanted to see a flag. 

Exactly. Good no call there, if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

if its the Patriots that is a penalty, the Peterman grounding would have not been called, the INT at end would have been overturned

Peterman grounding should have absolutely been called. That is what it was.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Exactly. Good no call there, if you ask me.

Peterman grounding should have absolutely been called. That is what it was.

agree it WAS but Brady would have gotten some ridiculous guy in the neighborhood thing

1 minute ago, Xwnyer said:

agree it WAS but Brady would have gotten some ridiculous guy in the neighborhood thing

Brady usually does. He is smart enough to throw it away or at the feet of his receivers. He knows when a play is dead and lives to fight another down.

36 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Not blaming this on officiating, just an observation.  Reducing concussions just be the highest priority for NFL right now but seems like they still occur on a frequent basis.  Seems like this would be an easy tackle to eliminate.

I agree. I wasn't upset with the officiating in this one because it harmed the Bills' chances; it might have, I don't know. We also got a couple calls. But I am increasingly frustrated with the NFL's absolute refusal to reduce the unnecessary hits. And no one can convince me that this new thing of "oops, I just so happened to trip and fall directly onto your head after the play was over" is accidental. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Look up the rules.  That was not a horse collar tackle.  

You must've struggled with reading comprehension in school.  My point was the NFL outlaws a tackle like the horse-collar tackle,  but not a tackle the puts a players head safety in danger.

Edited by bills6969

Just now, Shotgunner said:

Yup, this game was out there for the taking.

Jags are toast in the next round. There is a chasm between the top tier teams and Bills/Jags right now. 

Jags have a better chance of beating the Steelers/Pats than the Bills would have had. But you're right - there's a huge gap between those 2 teams and everyone else in the AFC. But we've kind of known that ever since the calendar moved to November.

49 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

That should have been a penalty for slamming him head first into the ground. No question it could have been easily called.

He didn't slam his head into the ground. It was the result if the tackle. The whole slow motion instant replay of every play has screwed everything up. The game is played in real time and the plays should be reviewed in real time. There's no reason there should be this much debate over what constitutes a catch.  The whole system is a mess.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

He didn't slam his head into the ground. It was the result if the tackle. The whole all motion instant replay of every play has screwed everything up. The game is played in real time the plays should be reviewed in real time. There's no reason. There should be thismuch debate over what constitutes a catch.  The whole system is a mess.

I agree the system is a mess. I disagree with the DL being able to bear hug and bang a QBs head into the ground. If you allow that there will be no end to it.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Jags have a better chance of beating the Steelers/Pats than the Bills would have had. But you're right - there's a huge gap between those 2 teams and everyone else in the AFC. But we've kind of known that ever since the calendar moved to November.

I haven't watched Jags games. i didn't realize how terrible they are on offense. I kept hearing "number 1 rushing team" amd all about foutnette, buf it turns out he averages less than 4 per carry amd they only are number 1 because hackett only calls runs. If it wasn't for Bortles going extra-curricular scrambling, they would not have had more than (if even) 3 points.

Their defense is real, but thats all there is down in J-ville. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, MJS said:

Looked clean to me.

So giving a choke hold is legal?

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

He didn't slam his head into the ground. It was the result if the tackle. The whole slow motion instant replay of every play has screwed everything up. The game is played in real time and the plays should be reviewed in real time. There's no reason there should be this much debate over what constitutes a catch.  The whole system is a mess.

Would that be the first or second time his head hit the ground?