Will the Bills regret trading Dareus to Jacksonville

Foreigner

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize though we could have just deactivated him and removed that issue easily too right?  Again, we had all the power here...fall in line or become a healthy scratch.  So this notion the only way to change to culture was to trade him at that moment is not accurate.

I think he didn't want to fall in line so they traded him.  Why wait for that to potentially escalate?  They somehow magically got someone to take his ridiculous salary and he's been a rotational player in Jacksonville.  I say lucky us.

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL...you sound like a jaded ex lover who thinks its not possible your ex is out there having a good time without you.  

If you think he doesn't care about this game after getting embarrassed by being traded for a sack of rocks then you are delusional.  I still think we win this game, but to disregard Dareus like that IMO is foolish.

he clearly didn't care enough before, what would be different now?

56 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Will the Bills regret trading Marcel Dareus to a AFC playoff contender. Apparently not, otherwise he would have gone

to a NFC team. We did get a 5th round draft choice. Maybe we can find another 5th rounder like Peterman.

Anyway, we beat Jacksonville last year. Is Doug Marrone that much of a genius that we can't beat the Jags this year?

Cant speak for anyone else, but in watching Jacksonville games this year, Dareus hasn't been all that.  Hasn't been bad, but not nearly as good as has been shared.  Just my view.  I'll take Ducasse vs Dareus all day long.

44 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

A front office without foresight would have never made the move. These guys made the move and still ended the playoff streak.

Be honest, the Bills are in the playoffs because of a great play by Cincinnati, and a terrible play by the ravens secondary.  Some would even call it a miracle, as Andy Dalton is not known for his fourth-quarter comebacks.

47 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

A front office without foresight would have never made the move. These guys made the move and still ended the playoff streak. Dareus, Watkins, Ragland, Darby all gone. 

Team looks as close as ever, now they are in the playoffs, sitting on a stockpile of picks for 18'

If I had to guess the only thing they regret is retaining Dunkirk Don's buddy and allowing him access to their top secret memos, such as Joe Webb's package, the stAdium plans, the best moment of all time(now known as the Kyle plunge)

And $38M in cap space.  $48M if they release TT before 3/16.

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get all that, and its not like I really disagree with anything you said.  Its just that I strongly feel they would have both been better off both this year and in the future with better compensation had they waited until the offseason.  And who knows, he barely got to play for this regime due to injury, so he might have played his way back into positive favor with this team by years end.  Winning helps change a lot of attitudes too.  Besides,  we didn't have a lot to risk, its not like the compensation could get any lower, we got a 6th that could move into a 5th.  

And honestly, a pissed off motivated Dareus facing our revolving door of an OL and gimpy McCoy this weekend could be a big problem for us.  

His problem was that he was constantly showing up late for meetings and practices.  That shows he wasn't trying to get back into anyone's positive favor.  And I doubt the compensation would have been any better over the off-season. 

5 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Be honest, the Bills are in the playoffs because of a great play by Cincinnati, and a terrible play by the ravens secondary.  Some would even call it a miracle, as Andy Dalton is not known for his fourth-quarter comebacks.

I'm sure there were other miraculous plays made in other games the Ravens lost.  This was just the last and most glaring. 

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize though we could have just deactivated him and removed that issue easily too right?  Again, we had all the power here...fall in line or become a healthy scratch.  So this notion the only way to change to culture was to trade him at that moment is not accurate.

Can’t agree here. He was already a malcontent. You think sitting him would have improved that? Really? That’s an untenable situation with your defense’s highest paid player. Besides, punishing him didn’t improve things previously. For example, he made it a point to be late for meetings even after being sat and sent home for missing the team bus befor that preseason game. You got 60 other guys watching how the staff handles crap like that as well. Not a good match with a new staff trying to establish new culture. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nothing is going to change how dumb it was to trade Dareus when we did.  I dont have an issue with trading Dareus, I have an issue of trading him when his value was pitiful and at its lowest.  He had just gotten healthy and was coming off his best game and we were in the playoffs at that point.  We SHOULD have held on to him and gotten value out of him this year and then made a decision on his future by how he played rest of year and how well he fell in line.  His value WOULD have been higher once he played the rest of the season now that he was healthy.  And even if it wasn't, at least he could have contributed to this years playoff run before dumping him for almost nothing.

Instead we get rid of him for a 5th round pick that likely won't do much to help replace the huge hole we have now at DT and also coincidentally our run D became pathetic and Jax went from pathetic to pretty good after the trade.  

Hated the trade then...hate it now.  Again, its not the fact we traded him that I hate, its the timing and poor value...and it VERY well might bite us big time this weekend given they have Fournette and now we have a gimpy McCoy to face their much improved run defense.

Haters gonna hate

jeremy2020. The fact is, it happened, and can also be debated after the game, but why post nothing.

Is it over 6,000 nothings, because if you have a opinion say it, and if you don't like the topic,why bother with nothing.

And to you joesixpack down a few and maybe you will have a opinion, otherwise a nothing.

45 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

We are in the playoffs because the Bills did better than the 10 other teams not in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Can’t agree here. He was already a malcontent. You think sitting him would have improved that? Really? That’s an untenable situation with your defense’s highest paid player. Besides, punishing him didn’t improve things previously. For example, he made it a point to be late for meetings even after being sat and sent home for missing the team bus befor that preseason game. You got 60 other guys watching how the staff handles crap like that as well. Not a good match with a new staff trying to establish new culture. 

Here is the issue...everyone is falsely creating this story he was being an issue in the locker room which led to his trade.  In fact, Beane stated he red flagged Dareus from the start due to contract size and PREVIOUS issues.  Everyone keeps stating he was late to meetings, but there is no reports stating he was late or missed a single meeting after McD disciplined him in the preseason.  In fact, Beane stated, and I quote: "He was making huge strides as of late" when commenting on the trade.  

So all of this stuff people keep spewing about how he was a locker room issues is all board speculation with no substance or evidence behind it.  Yes, Dareus made mistakes in the past.  Yes, McD sent a message in the preseason when he was late to a meeting.  But there is nothing to suggest he was a big issue at the point of the trade.  And most importantly, had Dareus become a big issue, they could have again DEACTIVATED him off the active roster and sent him home again and just cut bait in the offseason.  And the only thing we would have risked was a 6th round pick that could be a 5th.  

In fact, here is the direct quotes by Beane about the trade:

“Yeah, he was a question mark,’’ he said. “When you come into a new city, and you look at the roster, you obviously look at, ‘OK, he is a guy that you flag for two reasons: 1. He’s a higher salary guy; 2. He had a prior history with the suspensions.’ You do want to see those guys, you know, how they fit. We had some struggles but he’s not a bad person.  In fact, Beane said Dareus was making “huge strides of late. At the same time, we thought this was a good move for us going forward, as well as giving him a fresh start.’’

All evidence suggest his trade had a LOT more to do with his contract size and PAST then any present issues they were having with him.  Its ok if people want to disagree, but there is nothing anyone can tell me that makes me see that as a smart move at the time we made it.  We got a bag of rocks for him just when he was healthy and starting to contribute in a year we were making a playoff push.  They should have kept him and seen if he could be what he was capable of again this year and then look to cut bait if not via trade or flat out cutting him this offseason.

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

If he has a good game, stops the run up the middle, sacks TT a few times as he holds on to the ball forever, then Yes. If the Bills win and MD is not a factor, then No. LOL

Doug Marrone is NOT a genius.

We're going to keep everything outside, C / D gap stuff.

47 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Haters gonna hate

LMAO...so let me see I understand your dumb and useless comment.  I am a hater, even though I both like McD and Beane, just because I disagree with one of the moves he made?  LOL...wake me when you make a useful comment in any thread.  The only thing to hate on are your frequent useless comments.

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Will the Bills regret trading Marcel Dareus to a AFC playoff contender. Apparently not, otherwise he would have gone

to a NFC team. We did get a 5th round draft choice. Maybe we can find another 5th rounder like Peterman.

Anyway, we beat Jacksonville last year. Is Doug Marrone that much of a genius that we can't beat the Jags this year?

Did you see the cap hit for that underachieving fat slob?  That is a trade I will never regret.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO...so let me see I understand your dumb and useless comment.  I am a hater, even though I both like McD and Beane, just because I disagree with one of the moves he made?  LOL...wake me when you make a useful comment in any thread.  The only thing to hate on are your frequent useless comments.

Riiiight.

You've been plenty critical of McDermott all year. One need only do a search of your posts. No problem with hopping on the bandwagon now. Plenty of room.

This question is already answered. 

Dareus had a toxic contract that was going to sink our team. We somehow found a way to trade that contract and still get a draft pick out of it.

That's a long term win and long term wins are the only thing I care about.