Will the Bills regret trading Dareus to Jacksonville

Foreigner

A front office without foresight would have never made the move. These guys made the move and still ended the playoff streak. Dareus, Watkins, Ragland, Darby all gone. 

Team looks as close as ever, now they are in the playoffs, sitting on a stockpile of picks for 18'

If I had to guess the only thing they regret is retaining Dunkirk Don's buddy and allowing him access to their top secret memos, such as Joe Webb's package, the stAdium plans, the best moment of all time(now known as the Kyle plunge)

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nothing is going to change how dumb it was to trade Dareus when we did.  I dont have an issue with trading Dareus, I have an issue of trading him when his value was pitiful and at its lowest.  He had just gotten healthy and was coming off his best game and we were in the playoffs at that point.  We SHOULD have held on to him and gotten value out of him this year and then made a decision on his future by how he played rest of year and how well he fell in line.  His value WOULD have been higher once he played the rest of the season now that he was healthy.  And even if it wasn't, at least he could have contributed to this years playoff run before dumping him for almost nothing.

Instead we get rid of him for a 5th round pick that likely won't do much to help replace the huge hole we have now at DT and also coincidentally our run D became pathetic and Jax went from pathetic to pretty good after the trade.  

Hated the trade then...hate it now.  Again, its not the fact we traded him that I hate, its the timing and poor value...and it VERY well might bite us big time this weekend given they have Fournette and now we have a gimpy McCoy to face their much improved run defense.

If he gets suspended again in the off-season, or shows up too fat to play and has hamstring issue again in 2018, do you regret the trade?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

They desperately wanted to get rid of him.  And the conditional 5th was all/the best they could get.  Like I said above, I thought it was a bad move at the time.  Since they still made the playoffs, it was a good move.  Maybe it hurts them this weekend, maybe it doesn't.  That remains to be seen.  But they removed a talented, albeit lazy, player from the team, cleared cap room in 2019, and got an extra pick. 

I get all that, and its not like I really disagree with anything you said.  Its just that I strongly feel they would have both been better off both this year and in the future with better compensation had they waited until the offseason.  And who knows, he barely got to play for this regime due to injury, so he might have played his way back into positive favor with this team by years end.  Winning helps change a lot of attitudes too.  Besides,  we didn't have a lot to risk, its not like the compensation could get any lower, we got a 6th that could move into a 5th.  

And honestly, a pissed off motivated Dareus facing our revolving door of an OL and gimpy McCoy this weekend could be a big problem for us.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I get all that, and its not like I really disagree with anything you said.  Its just that I strongly feel they would have both been better off both this year and in the future with better compensation had they waited until the offseason.  And who knows, he barely got to play for this regime due to injury, so he might have played his way back into positive favor with this team by years end.  Winning helps change a lot of attitudes too.  Besides,  we didn't have a lot to risk, its not like the compensation could get any lower, we got a 6th that could move into a 5th.  

And honestly, a pissed off motivated Dareus facing our revolving door of an OL and gimpy McCoy this weekend could be a big problem for us.  

LOL.

Dareus will be his same gutless self.  He simply doesn't care enough.

Just now, Socal-805 said:

If he gets suspended again in the off-season, or shows up too fat to play and has hamstring issue again in 2018, do you regret the trade?

Again...all we were risking was a 5th round pick.  So no, doesn't change my mind as not much was at risk.   The reward was MUCH higher than the risk of waiting.  So what if he does, we could have cut him and all we lost was a 5th round pick which more than likely turns out to be a guy who isnt on this team within 2 to 3 years anyway.  Sure, you can hit on a 5th, but thats a very low percentage occurrence.  

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nothing is going to change how dumb it was to trade Dareus when we did.  I dont have an issue with trading Dareus, I have an issue of trading him when his value was pitiful and at its lowest.  He had just gotten healthy and was coming off his best game and we were in the playoffs at that point.  We SHOULD have held on to him and gotten value out of him this year and then made a decision on his future by how he played rest of year and how well he fell in line.  His value WOULD have been higher once he played the rest of the season now that he was healthy.  And even if it wasn't, at least he could have contributed to this years playoff run before dumping him for almost nothing.

Instead we get rid of him for a 5th round pick that likely won't do much to help replace the huge hole we have now at DT and also coincidentally our run D became pathetic and Jax went from pathetic to pretty good after the trade.  

Hated the trade then...hate it now.  Again, its not the fact we traded him that I hate, its the timing and poor value...and it VERY well might bite us big time this weekend given they have Fournette and now we have a gimpy McCoy to face their much improved run defense.

Wrong right out of the gate; it was a necessary move and even if Darius beats the Bills with his individual effort, it was still the right move! Changing the culture means changing the culture, get over it!

Bill Polian once stated the Bills hurt themselves over the long run by hanging onto fan favorites based on pure emotion...

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jmc12290 said:

LOL.

Dareus will be his same gutless self.  He simply doesn't care enough.

LOL...you sound like a jaded ex lover who thinks its not possible your ex is out there having a good time without you.  

If you think he doesn't care about this game after getting embarrassed by being traded for a sack of rocks then you are delusional.  I still think we win this game, but to disregard Dareus like that IMO is foolish.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again...all we were risking was a 5th round pick.  So no, doesn't change my mind as not much was at risk.   The reward was MUCH higher than the risk of waiting.  So what if he does, we could have cut him and all we lost was a 5th round pick which more than likely turns out to be a guy who isnt on this team within 2 to 3 years anyway.  Sure, you can hit on a 5th, but thats a very low percentage occurrence.  

I would argue keeping him could have caused some locker room/chemistry problems here.  It wasn't just the draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1

might be the first game in a jax uniform he plays inspired.

long term its a no brainer to dump his salary cap

short term....who knows....but i'll just go with if he was still on team we don't make playoffs....so there's that

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

With his contract and one step away from a 10 game suspension his value would always be poor.  What fans value is not what coaches/gms value.

Bingo.  The timing to trade Dareus BEFORE he got suspended again IS/WAS the right time.  An offseason can be long with less of a structured agenda for players.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL...you sound like a jaded ex lover who thinks its not possible your ex is out there having a good time without you.  

If you think he doesn't care about this game after getting embarrassed by being traded for a sack of rocks then you are delusional.  I still think we win this game, but to disregard Dareus like that IMO is foolish.

You kind of sound like the jaded ex lover!!!!

4 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Wrong right out of the gate; it was a necessary move and even if Darius beats the Bills with his individual effort, it was still the right move! Changing the culture means changing the culture, get over it!

Bill Polian once stated the Bills hurt themselves over the long run by hanging onto fan favorites based on pure emotion...

Well its your opinion if I am wrong, but you and many others miss a very simple fact.  We could have simply DEACTIVATED Dareus had he been a problem over the rest the season to send a message and "change" the culture...assuming he was a problem moving forward.

All we would have risked is a measly 5th round pick.  But had he NOT been an issue and now that he was healthy started to make his impact again and fall in line with McD, we would have had a better DL and could still had traded him for MORE this offseason.  And even if there was NO market for him, we could have just cut him this offseason and only risked the 5th round pick to potentially keep our DL better DURING OUR PLAYOFF PUSH which we were in at the time we traded him.  

So nothing you can tell me will make me feel any different about the trading of him for next to nothing right after he finally got healthy.  We had ALL THE LEVERAGE and only would be risking a low round pick.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I would argue keeping him could have caused some locker room/chemistry problems here.  It wasn't just the draft pick.

You realize though we could have just deactivated him and removed that issue easily too right?  Again, we had all the power here...fall in line or become a healthy scratch.  So this notion the only way to change to culture was to trade him at that moment is not accurate.

Clearly it wasn’t about a 5th round pick. This was about culture and the cap, and it sent a clear message. Addition by subtraction. If the light goes on it will be a loss of a great talent, which might never have happened with us. If it doesn’t, he’s content with his cash and wasting a bright future.