Props to McDermott haters!

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not against a conservative approach. At all. If anything I lean toward kicking the FG and points versus going for it. But McD is erratic. He isn't either conservative or aggressive. To me he's made the wrong decision like 4 of the last 5 times. One or more of them have worked but that doesn't mean it was right. And again I like McDermott overall. 

And because you would have done something different does not make it wrong. I don't agree he has got 4 of 5 big calls wrong. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When they have been 10 points up at any stage in a game this season they are 6-0.  So people can B word about the conservative approach.... the fact is it is part of why the drought is over. 

McD, similar to Marrone, knew what his team could do and couldn't do.  He knew they could sit on a lead with the best of them.  

It's not the most exciting style of football, but I'm not confusing effort for results.

All of TBD should rejoice that I can no longer refer to Marrone as the "best coach we've had in a decade."  McD took an average D and below average O and killed the drought, while playing some REALLY tough team. Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Pats, Chiefs all are in the playoffs.  Wowzer.

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not against a conservative approach. At all. If anything I lean toward kicking the FG and points versus going for it. But McD is erratic. He isn't either conservative or aggressive. To me he's made the wrong decision like 4 of the last 5 times. One or more of them have worked but that doesn't mean it was right. And again I like McDermott overall. 

FWIW Kelly, I agree.  He zags when I expect him to zig sometimes.  But I imagine he'll get a better feel for situations.  Some coaches get more aggressive in the right spots with confidence.

Can you !@#$ing believe it thought?

I trust the coach and have bought in to the process. This is not saying that i agree with every decision he makes but I, like all of us are not paid to coach the Bill's. We can armchair all w want to with no consequence to us. We live and die with his decisions So when he makes the right decisions we live and go to the playoffs and if he makes a lot of wrong decisions and misses the playoffs he is the one who pays. I say we are lucky to have a coach like him who took us to the playoffs in his first year. Come on board!!

You are one of my favorite posters here. You really seem like you know football and don't comment emotionally because you are Bills biased. I would be shocked however, if you looked at those last five decisions from a step back, and regardless of how it turned out, thought that is is what the decision should have been. 

That is for Gunner. 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You are one of my favorite posters here. You really seem like you know football and don't comment emotionally because you are Bills biased. I would be shocked however, if you looked at those last five decisions from a step back, and regardless of how it turned out, thought that is is what the decision should have been. 

That is for Gunner. 

Some fans will like the calls some will hate them.  I liked his going for two today.  Many teams would have done the same.  Again, some fans will hate some calls but that doesn't mean they were wrong.  

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Some fans will like the calls some will hate them.  I liked his going for two today.  Many teams would have done the same.  Again, some fans will hate some calls but that doesn't mean they were wrong.  

That going for two was a TERRIBLE CALL. If we make it it's 21 points. Three TDs. But we were 19 points up. If we just kick the point it's 20. That means they cannot win without three TDs and little time to do that much. At 20 they cannot tie with two TDs and a FG. It's a horrible call. At 19, if we miss, which we did, that's two TDs and a FG (obviously with two two point conversions but still). That's just a bad call. As it is they could have WON at the end because of that crappy call. Otherwise they just tie. 

He did his best again to turn a blowout into a nailbiter.  The Bills were 7-7 going into week 16 last year (lost in ot and sat their starting qb in week 17 and lost).  

They improved 1 game this year and made the playoffs and we should have a parade?

Really another lousy second half and the Bills hung on.

McDermott has been okay and the Bills are in the playoffs.  Certainly am eating no crow.

Heck I think they can beat the Jags too but that doesn't change my opinion on McD and certainly not Dennison.

Edited by Billsfan1972

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

His decisions got the Bills into the playoffs.  Couldn't have been all, or even mostly, bad.

Yup.  Never seen so much crying over a team that played so far over its head, and made so many moves that ended up putting the right team on the field and into the playoffs.

The teeth gnashing over a handful of decisions is hard to believe.   We finally have a good, young head coach who gets his guys to care and play hard.  I've been waiting years to see that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That going for two was a TERRIBLE CALL. If we make it it's 21 points. Three TDs. But we were 19 points up. If we just kick the point it's 20. That means they cannot win without three TDs and little time to do that much. At 20 they cannot tie with two TDs and a FG. It's a horrible call. At 19, if we miss, which we did, that's two TDs and a FG (obviously with two two point conversions but still). That's just a bad call. As it is they could have WON at the end because of that crappy call. Otherwise they just tie. 

I disagree that it was a bad call.

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He did his best again to turn a blowout into a nailbiter.  The Bills were 7-7 going into week 16 last year (lost in ot and sat their starting qb in week 17 and lost).  

They improved 1 game this year and made the playoffs and we should have a parade?

Really another lousy second half and the Bills hung on.

McDermott has been okay and the Bills are in the playoffs.  Certainly am eating no crow.

Heck I think they can beat the Jags too but that doesn't change my opinion on McD and certainly not Dennison.

Uh, yeah. You realize this is McD's first season in Buffalo and as a HC (same for Dennison as OC) and they made the playoffs despite many thinking before the season that they were tanking, right?  What did you expect?

7 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Pretty remarkable he was able to end the drought without a QB.

And that they turtled vs. Atl, TB, KC, Miami x 2 and went 5-0 in all those games while the opponent had the ball under 2 minutes with a chance to win.....  

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Uh, yeah. You realize this is McD's first season in Buffalo and as a HC (same for Dennison as OC) and they made the playoffs despite many thinking before the season that they were tanking, right?  What did you expect?

I expect to win every year (or at least compete for the playoffs).

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Give me an argument of all possibilities why it is a good call with that much time left. 

Three touchdowns (7 points each) puts that game out of reach in my opinion.  Nail in the coffin.  Even at 20, three touchdowns would allow Miami to take the lead.  I wanted to finish them.  Stick a fork in them.  I liked the aggressive call.  Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong call.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Three touchdowns (7 points each) puts that game out of reach in my opinion.  Nail in the coffin.  Even at 20, three touchdowns would allow Miami to take the lead.  I wanted to finish them.  Stick a fork in them.  I liked the aggressive call.  Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong call.

There is a huge difference between two TDs and a FG versus three TDs late in the third quarter. If you make the two pointer they need to score three TDs to tie and maybe win. But if you miss they only need two TDs and a FG. Big difference. Which played out. 

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is a huge difference between two TDs and a FG versus three TDs late in the third quarter. If you make the two pointer they need to score three TDs to tie and maybe win. But if you miss they only need two TDs and a FG. Big difference. Which played out. 

I get your point but that was a risk I was willing to take and so was McDermott.  Like I said, some fans won't like the decision but I wanted them to go for it.  

More than happy to line up for crow Joe.  McD clearly has the pulse of the team and a good handle on the talent.  The call to give the rock to Kyle for a TD was a classy move and won me over.

I still think he makes questionable in-game and clock management decisions, but that's more a micro- than a macro- view.  McD got us to the promised land with a firm grasp of the macro- view.  If we beat the quitter next week, then this season will have surpassed expectations.  Props to McD.

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Miami also went for 2 and missed it. Likely as a result of the Bills going for 2 and missing it. Had the Bills kicked the EP, Miami does the same and there is no net change in score differential. And a TD still wins it for them (by 1) in the end. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I get your point but that was a risk I was willing to take and so was McDermott.  Like I said, some fans won't like the decision but I wanted them to go for it.  

That's cool. I understand. And sometimes coaches have to go with their gut. But McDermott has been extremely erratic. He has been randomly aggressive and randomly conservative. That's not a great sign. Overall I like him. But there is no apprenticeship for being a head coach. He hasn't been one at any level.

Some people or fans think if a decision works out it is a good decision. Other people or fans think a bad decision is a bad decision regardless of if it works. I understand both positions. I personally think a bad decision is a bad decision regardless of if it works. 

I don't think we should have been in a position to lose the Dolphins game. Others think we won so that's all that matters. I don't think there is a definitive answer. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Miami also went for 2 and missed it. Likely as a result of the Bills going for 2 and missing it. Had the Bills kicked the EP, Miami does the same and there is no net change in score differential. And a TD still wins it for them (by 1) in the end. 

Your decision has nothing to do with what happens later. It is only based on percentages. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Although I am not a hater, I am not his biggest fan.

I will say this.  McCoach has got to be about the luckiest guy in the world after today (playing against a QB I never heard of before this week and Andy Dalton converting a fourth down for the TD, etc.).

McCoach is MOST fortunate that he does not have to answer questions about the Bills not making the playoffs because he decided to start a rookie QB that was not nearly ready to play.

Having said all that, I am glad we finally have some luck.  It must be the luck of the Irish, I mean McCoach.

Well done.

Let's see how he does against St. Doug next week.

Stop it. You're a hater.

Get over here. I just carved some breast meat. Enjoy.

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Might be hosting a home game, if not for then arrogance of McDick........

hater. get in line. get some bird.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

McCoach is very, very fortunate that awful decision did not end up costing us the playoffs. 

Again, we must have the luck of the Irish because he certainly got very lucky.

Back for seconds?

3 hours ago, Peter said:

You are absolutely right.  I loved the way McCoach converted that 4th down pass to beat the Ravens to get in the playoffs. It is all part of the process.

You call yourself Peter?!?

You're Judas!