Props to McDermott haters!

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What's funny is when it happened I turned to the guy I watch the games with, who knows way more than me, and I said this isn't bad, right? And he immediately went through a litany of reasons and scenarios of why it was wrong. And convinced me easily. Ha. 

And now, if I were the Bills, and roles reversed, and was asked would you rather have the team go for two at that point or kick the extra point and go up 20, I would definitely think I would rather have them go for two. If they kick the pat or make the two points I need three TDs. If they go for two and miss it could be two TDs and a FG. I would take that every time. 

I actually went the other way.  I said to my son when Miami scored the FG "they should have kicked the EP," but then when the Dols also failed on a 2PC, I said "never mind, it cancelled out." 

And I would agree that I'd rather be down 19 than 20.  But I'd still think I would lose.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

As unfortunate and sad as it is, that honor goes to Doug Marrone, or Sean McVay 

No way.  The Bills seemingly shed talent and had major roster upheaval.  The other teams didn't.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

No way.  The Bills seemingly shed talent and had major roster upheaval.  The other teams didn't.

Regardless, I'll take it. This is the best day of my soon to be 31 year old life. I still want a lot of people on this team gone, and I think the Bengals deserve the lions share of the credit, but none of that matters. The curse is broken, and I don't have to live every day with that hanging over my head anymore. Being from Buffalo finally isn't strictly a punchline anymore and that feels great.

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He did his best again to turn a blowout into a nailbiter.  The Bills were 7-7 going into week 16 last year (lost in ot and sat their starting qb in week 17 and lost).  

They improved 1 game this year and made the playoffs and we should have a parade?

Really another lousy second half and the Bills hung on.

McDermott has been okay and the Bills are in the playoffs.  Certainly am eating no crow.

Heck I think they can beat the Jags too but that doesn't change my opinion on McD and certainly not Dennison.

Yours is poached in butter

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

As unfortunate and sad as it is, that honor goes to Doug Marrone, or Sean McVay 

Mcvay inherited a loaded roster. So did marrone 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Coach of the year. Period. Deserves a full five years. Period. There can be no discussion.

I agree but McVay, Zimmer, or Marrone will probably get it.

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Damn out of points to give 

? ? ?  ? 

Well stop giving them all out to the "I hate Tyrod" posts!

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Mcvay inherited a loaded roster. So did marrone 

Not to belabor the point, but you could have said the same of the Bills before they shipped off Watkins, Darby, and Dareus. This staff created the holes they had to fill, helped out by the previous staff's handling of Woods & Gillislee.

Goff looked like an early bust candidate before the season, and I think many would have taken Taylor over him. Looking back, not so much.

Reconsidering, I can't believe I left out Pederson. talent or not, it would be hard for him, or Belichick to not to walk away with the hardware. The last team to finish 9-7 or worse was Jimmy Johnson in 1990. Given that Belichick has won it 3 times in the Brady era, I don't think talent plays that much of a role. I Give McD no better odds than 5th. (Pederson, Belichick, McVay, Marrone, Zimmer/McDermott)

8 hours ago, Peter said:

We certainly were that. 

Andy Dalton had the most important play for the Buffalo Bills since the turn of the century.  Well done Andy. 

I am glad that we finally had some good luck as I have posted before (paraphrasing the Cream song).

What a poor outlook.  You are crediting Andy Dalton for us making the playoffs?  Yeah we wouldn't be here without that game.  We also wouldn't be here without McD putting the team in position to get that help.  2004 was the only other time in the drought this team was in that position in week 17.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

What a poor outlook.  You are crediting Andy Dalton for us making the playoffs?  Yeah we wouldn't be here without that game.  We also wouldn't be here without McD putting the team in position to get that help.  2004 was the only other time in the drought this team was in that position in week 17.

Andy Dalton definitely gets the credit for a 9-7 team making the playoffs. That's not trashing the Bills it's just reality. We didn't control our own destiny. Dalton gave that to us. He's a bigger Buffalo hero than Taylor.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Andy Dalton definitely gets the credit for a 9-7 team making the playoffs. That's not trashing the Bills it's just reality. We didn't control our own destiny. Dalton gave that to us. He's a bigger Buffalo hero than Taylor.

Yes but the poster seems to only credit that because he is still mad over Rex getting fired so he cant give McD any credit.  That's disingenuous to not give our own head coach any credit.  It wasn't ALL because of Andy Dalton.  That's ridiculous.

Most wildcard teams need help from someone every year.  People don't go around crediting other teams for making the playoffs anywhere else.

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, where's SaviorPeterman? 

He will be back on Tuesday with some crappy thread talking about how Miami and their 4d chess let us win to better position themselves in the draft.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Where is the thread where we win no more than 4 games. Be strong and raise your hand if you were one of them. I said 6-8 wins, hopefully a little more, if I recall correctly. 

Cant remember what I said exactly, but I said somewhere between 7 and 10 IIRC.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The odds of converting a 2-pointer are slightly under 50% (and some articles have suggested that teams should go for 2 all the time).  Meaning if you are down by 19 and score a 2 TD's and go for a 2PC after each one, figuring you'll get within 3, odds are you're likely to miss one and still need a TD to win it. 

Correct. 

The fact that we have a Head Coach willing to not coach off the chart is a good thing. Go check out Belichick's go for it / kick / punt decisions over the years. They are often unconventional. They have their own way of using the percentages. They do not blindly follow the numbers. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He will be back on Tuesday with some crappy thread talking about how Miami and their 4d chess let us win to better position themselves in the draft.

Ha ha, yup! SaviorPeterman will probably be raving about Fales and how he almost beat the Bills. Almost being the key word.

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

McDermott hadn't stopped the playoffs from coming!  They came!
Somehow or other, they came just the same!

And the fans stood puzzling. "How could it be so?"
He punted on 4th down, got lucky in the snow,
He started a rookie at quarterback, don't you know??

It came without Watkins! It came without Gilmore!
It came without Dareus, Darby, or Woods!"

Then the fans thought of something they hadn't before
Maybe coaches, they thought, don't just make a mess.
Maybe coaches, perhaps, really do trust the process!

Brilliant - simply brilliant. :lol:

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not to belabor the point, but you could have said the same of the Bills before they shipped off Watkins, Darby, and Dareus. This staff created the holes they had to fill, helped out by the previous staff's handling of Woods & Gillislee.

Goff looked like an early bust candidate before the season, and I think many would have taken Taylor over him. Looking back, not so much.

Reconsidering, I can't believe I left out Pederson. talent or not, it would be hard for him, or Belichick to not to walk away with the hardware. The last team to finish 9-7 or worse was Jimmy Johnson in 1990. Given that Belichick has won it 3 times in the Brady era, I don't think talent plays that much of a role. I Give McD no better odds than 5th. (Pederson, Belichick, McVay, Marrone, Zimmer/McDermott)

The fact that they shipped-off talent and created holes only further demonstrates why he deserves COTY mention.  Belichick?  Probably won't even get one vote.  Pederson is a possibility though.  But he had a great QB.

13 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Belicheck didn't get into the playoffs his first year. Just saying.

So what the !@#$ are you saying?

What a stupid post.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Woods and gillislee were definitely the high school coach's decision.

I'm happy they made the playoffs, but I still don't like a lot of what he has done. I don't get why that is so hard for some bills fans to get. 

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The point is why risk that. It would be different if making the two point conversion put you up by more than three scores. It didn't. If you make it, at 50% as you say, they need three TDs to tie. It's not an automatic win. If you just kick the point, they need three TDs. If you do what we did they only need two TDs and a FG. To me that's an easy choice. The upside isn't worth it. Three TDs is extremely hard with a little more than a quarter left. And look what happened. They could have WON with a fluke play. 

If they make it he’s a genius 

If TT didn’t turtle up we might have scored another TD or more.  

Third down conversion is way up but red zone production is down (until you play Kyle Williams). 

It seems that when he improves one area he regresses in another.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Really? Man. I thought it was a horrendous and totally unnecessary decision. And I'm a McDermott fan.

I liked the aggressive approach, all the momentum was on our side.  It's easy to look back at it and say that it was bad but at the time that would've put us up by three touchdowns (7 points each).  It's a 50/50 chance, I wanted to put the nail in the coffin and end that game right there.  Like I mentioned earlier, some fans will hate the decision, some will like it.  I've watched the Pats and the Steelers make those calls in the past and it was the nail in the coffin for the other team.  I'm not as conservative as you, that's where we differ.