Remembering the IK Enemkpali Fiasco

BuffaloRush

One of the most forgettable but embarrassing moments of the Rex Ryan regime was the bizarre decision to not only sign IK Enemkpali, but to actually try to use him on the field.  If you recall IK got into a beef with Geno Smith for not paying back some money he borrowed.  As a way to settle the score, IK sucker punched Geno breaking his jaw which would keep him off the field for a few weeks.  As a result, IK was released from the Jets.

The year before, Rex Ryan did not want to draft Geno Smith but he was overruled by the Jets front office.  Geno struggled quite a bit during his rookie year which helped result in Rex getting fired.

So as a way to say FU to the Jets organization and Geno, Rex signed IK the day after he was released.  It was seen as a very petty move, as IK had little to offer the Bills Top 5 defense.  Not only did Rex sign him, but he put him in the mix for starting LB despite the fact he looked like crap in the preseason.  Then he went and made IK a captain when the Bills played the Jets for the first time to further add insult to injury.  

Sadly, IK did get playing time for the Bills and he was atrocious.  He playing in 11 games and recorded a whopping 9 tackles and had 0 sacks.  

All of this - because Rex wanted to say FU to the Jets.  Unbelievable.    This moments gets overlooked quite a bit but man, was it bad,

• Like (+1) 1

This goes to show what an amateur Pegula is. Coerced Marrone to quit, and overlooks Schwartz to coach as we had a top 5 defense. 

He instead hires Rex! The  bozo ruins the D, brings in bad players from the crappy Jets, hires his own BROTHER! It all rolls up under Pegula. What an owner!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Idandria said:

This goes to show what an amateur Pegula is. Coerced Marrone to quit, and overlooks Schwartz to coach as we had a top 5 defense. 

He instead hires Rex! The  bozo ruins the D, brings in bad players from the crappy Jets, hires his own BROTHER! It all rolls up under Pegula. What an owner!

don't you feel he learned from it though.
and Marrone forced his hand. Pressured as he thought he had leverage with the via the Jets and Woody.
Dumping Jim S was piss poor. should have found a way to make that work

that said.

Rex is not quite right in the head. nor is his brother. they rode the coattail of their Father.

amusing folks though

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

One of the most forgettable but embarrassing moments of the Rex Ryan regime was the bizarre decision to not only sign IK Enemkpali, but to actually try to use him on the field.  If you recall IK got into a beef with Geno Smith for not paying back some money he borrowed.  As a way to settle the score, IK sucker punched Geno breaking his jaw which would keep him off the field for a few weeks.  As a result, IK was released from the Jets.

The year before, Rex Ryan did not want to draft Geno Smith but he was overruled by the Jets front office.  Geno struggled quite a bit during his rookie year which helped result in Rex getting fired.

So as a way to say FU to the Jets organization and Geno, Rex signed IK the day after he was released.  It was seen as a very petty move, as IK had little to offer the Bills Top 5 defense.  Not only did Rex sign him, but he put him in the mix for starting LB despite the fact he looked like crap in the preseason.  Then he went and made IK a captain when the Bills played the Jets for the first time to further add insult to injury.  

Sadly, IK did get playing time for the Bills and he was atrocious.  He playing in 11 games and recorded a whopping 9 tackles and had 0 sacks.  

All of this - because Rex wanted to say FU to the Jets.  Unbelievable.    This moments gets overlooked quite a bit but man, was it bad,

While all that may be correct. The fact really is Rex Liked him alot from the draft on and thought he could develop into a nice piece for his defense. It was not just an FU to the Jets

54 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Can we put you down in the Bon Joive move to the team to Toronto camp then?

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Rex signed IK just because he broke Geno's jaw. IK was a 6th round pick by Rex's Jets the last year he coached there. So Rex clearly had to like him on some level. I think he likely would have signed him had the Jets released him. The Bills did have a need for a bigger Linebacker at the time too so I think it just lined up that Rex could get a player he drafted a year ago at a position where he needed some depth. Granted knowing Rex the jaw breaking was a plus in his mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Can we put you down in the Bon Joive move to the team to Toronto camp then?

How have our standards become so pathetically low.

I'll put you in the "So as long as the team is in Buffalo, who cares if we are a national joke" camp. 

Yea man, I'm a jerk for wanting a winning team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Idandria said:

How have our standards become so pathetically low.

I'll put you in the "So as long as the team is in Buffalo, who cares if we are a national joke" camp. 

Yea man, I'm a jerk for wanting a winning team.  

You said it not me.

Everybody wants a winning team, but you have to have a team first.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Whatever you think of IK, I don't think you can really know Rex's motivation for signing him.  

I always thought Rex was a bad move. I still think the entire thing was for entertainment value to sell tickets. You could point out a lot of stupid. Decking out his truck. The tattoo. The foot fetish. Everything about him screamed poser. Go promise another franchise playoffs. Oh you can't because your washed up.

On the list of all the bad I thought bringing in IK was fine. I liked the Jets disrespect. I can't believe out of everything Rex did that was the one that grinded some gears.

Edited by Lfod