Best basketball player of all time

Buffalo716

In your opinion who is the best basketball player of all time.

im stuck between Wilt and Larry Bird

wilt was the most dominant player of all time. A beast, can bench 500 pounds 

Larry was magical on the court. His IQ, his shot. His attitude. He was a better rebounder than Lebron. Michael couldn't beat him until he was 34.

who do you have as the best basketball player of all time?

Bird was my idol for high school and undergrad/postgrad years

but i give the nod to Kareem Adbul-Jabbar for being a great villain, the dominant centre and focus of all action in every game he played and his endurance and will to play each night

KA-J would have LOVED to sit out 15 times a year because he didn't feel like playing, and then dog it for another 25 while dressed for being tired

Jordan's teams wouldn't have come within 20 points of the Magic/Bird Era teams

Edited by row_33

You almost have to define the position more clearly and made distinctions among eras in the game.

For what they did, when the played, and style of game, Chamberlain, Bird, Michael, Magic, all stand out as almost beyond superstar status.

Bob Lanier or Randy Smith...I thought they were Gods in the 70’s as a kid going to Braves’ games. Never really got into pro basketball after they left Buffalo. 

I did watch some Julius Irving in middle school/high school...he revolutionized the slam dunk and made the game entertaining. 

Michael Jordan has my vote as best ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Jordan...that's the professional athlete of my childhood  I will be telling my grandchildren I got watch play growing up(that is if they even care, there seems to be a general downward trend of each generation's youths caring less and less about sports it seems)

The NBA has changed so much the last decade with the use of every square inch out there on O

I wish Bird and Rick Barry and Maravich and World B Free had the freedom to have taken 15 3's a game with ease...

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

KA-J would have LOVED to sit out 15 times a year because he didn't feel like playing, and then dog it for another 25 while dressed for being tired

Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes:

53 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I know the book is still open on this one, but how can LeBron James not be in the conversation?

Still has to be Jordan for me.  Maybe one of the best defenders to play the game on top of everything else he did offensively.

That comparison comes down to who is more clutch, imo. Game on the line. Last shot. To me, it’s not even a close call.  Jordan was the best. 

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Bob Lanier or Randy Smith...I thought they were Gods in the 70’s as a kid going to Braves’ games. Never really got into pro basketball after they left Buffalo. 

I did watch some Julius Irving in middle school/high school...he revolutionized the slam dunk and made the game entertaining. 

Greatest dunk ever?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jordan.

He made everyone around him better.  He commanded the respect and demanded they be better.

I love LeBron.  Consummate pro.  Ridiculous talent.  But when he sees that his team is losing, he takes it upon himself to win games.  To me, that's the difference between James and Jordan.  Jordan didn't just say, "here, let me do it."  He said, "you guys do THIS, and I'll do THIS and we'll get this **** done."

I think LeBron, Wilt and Magic are easily among the best, ever and there's not a strong argument against any of them being the GOAT.

But to me ... it's Jordan.  Hands down.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

By the way, interesting that no one has made the case for Tim Duncan. Kind of forget about him, but he could be in the running.

Yeah I always liked Tim.  Quiet guy that just did his thing.  Maybe why underrated?

Surprised Kobe hasn't been mentioned yet either.  I mean Michael was definitely better imo but I'd imagine he would warrant some discussion 

45 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

The “cradle” dunk...Dr J was da’ man. The defender there mind of jumped up, then thought better of it and just let him do his thing. 

Yeah Michael Cooper pretty much confirms what you just said:

He wasn't a bad defender either

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Jordan.

He made everyone around him better.  He commanded the respect and demanded they be better.

I love LeBron.  Consummate pro.  Ridiculous talent.  But when he sees that his team is losing, he takes it upon himself to win games.  To me, that's the difference between James and Jordan.  Jordan didn't just say, "here, let me do it."  He said, "you guys do THIS, and I'll do THIS and we'll get this **** done."

I think LeBron, Wilt and Magic are easily among the best, ever and there's not a strong argument against any of them being the GOAT.

But to me ... it's Jordan.  Hands down.

Good point about LeBron v Jordan.  

I’ll probably get flamed by some for this, but what about Kobe??

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This is why I kinda don't automatically jump to Jordan.

Kobe was spectacularly clutch and pretty much even with Jordan IMO

Larry Bird was the best shooter in the league and he rebounded better than guys like Lebron. He was also spectacularly clutch 

Wilt changed the game. They said they changed the rules that you cannot dunk a free throw because of wilt chamberlain. This was going into his Freshmen year of college. The 100 point game. Etc

There is a Big 5 to me because there has been so many eras 

Wilt, Jordan, Bird,  Kareem, Even yes Kobe is right there 

he was phenomenal defensively as well

Edited by Buffalo716

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

We split season tix with some other family back then. LOVED Randy Smith and the way he pushed the ball. Sucked being trapped behind the Celtics much like now with the Pat’s*. My sister used to babysit for Bob Kaufman’s kids. I liked the NBA back THEN, not nearly as much now. 

Wilt held a lot of records, and they weren’t all on the court, if you know what I mean. 

Braves had a good team but they weren’t going to beat the Celtics or Bullets in the playoffs. The handful of games played in Toronto were enjoyed.

McAdoo was an earlier version of Durant but Bob had to play centre on D and hit the boards all day long.

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I definitely think Kobe is part of the conversation.

I can't believe Oscar Robertson hasn't been mentioned.

Also ... full disclosure - I am NOT a basketball fan, per se.  I hardly watch it and I don't even have a "favorite team."  I tried to embrace Brooklyn, but I just can't watch the games until it's NBA Finals time.

That said - I'm sure there are rule changes, etc., that make each case different for players from Oscar Robertson's generation, vs. players from Magic/Bird's generation, vs. Jordan's generation, vs. today's generation.

For instance - I know that tanking games is commonplace in today's game.  I also know that regular season games are borderline meaningless to many teams.  I don't know if those things were true back in the Magic/Bird days.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I definitely think Kobe is part of the conversation.

I can't believe Oscar Robertson hasn't been mentioned.

Also ... full disclosure - I am NOT a basketball fan, per se.  I hardly watch it and I don't even have a "favorite team."  I tried to embrace Brooklyn, but I just can't watch the games until it's NBA Finals time.

That said - I'm sure there are rule changes, etc., that make each case different for players from Oscar Robertson's generation, vs. players from Magic/Bird's generation, vs. Jordan's generation, vs. today's generation.

For instance - I know that tanking games is commonplace in today's game.  I also know that regular season games are borderline meaningless to many teams.  I don't know if those things were true back in the Magic/Bird days.

The Big O is definitely up there.

he was the first big guard who had great ball skills. He got his first assist when magic was 1 year old so that tells you how far ahead of the other big guard he was

not to mention he averaged like 32, 12 bounds and 11 assists one year and was a career 26, 9 assists and 7.5 bounds for a guard 

he was russell Wilson before Russell 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Great player!

by the way, No idea how he makes that shot with how hard he hits it off the glass. I wonder if backboards had more give back then! 

Thats a good observation. He definitely doesn't "lay it up" lol

that had some juice off the glass