Is There a More Boring Holiday Than Christmas?

Gugny

Holy ****!  We got snowed in (third time this week), but it doesn't matter, because everything is !@#$ing closed anyway.

We do the whole family get together thing on Christmas eve, so Christmas day is just watching my son open presents then a whole lot of nothing (other than snowblowing and having to take the dog out in -50 degree weather with 40mph wind gusts).

I think I'll do some laundry to liven things up a bit.

In-laws come over. Ham dinner (not a fan). Days of prepping the house. Hours of cooking. My kids are all with their significant others this year. My wife hates Trump. Her relatives love him. I try to be diplomatic and find common ground. 

Not a good day. Not terrible. Boring and stressful. A great combination. 

Well if you are looking for something to do, I have a pile of dishes that need washing from Christmas Eve dinner.

I actually like how calm and quiet Christmas day is. Reminds me of Sundays as a kid when the only things open were movie theaters, a few gas stations (until noon) and a few restaurants. Everything does not have to be go-go-go! :)

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, once Dave & Busters and Applebees close up, what’s the point in breathing?  :)

We had Christmas with our 4 year old grandson on the 23rd, and that was definitely the highlight. We’ve found things to do the last few years like the Atlanta Aquarium, nice restaurants, etc. We just returned from the Botanical Gardens in Pedmont Park where nthey do an amazing light show complete with music and 3-D glasses. I’m glad we went. 

It’s pretty nice having some quiet time with family doing things we usually find excuses to put off. It’s become a nice little tradition. 

Edited by Augie

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, once Dave & Busters and Applebees close up, what’s the point in breathing?  :)

We had Christmas with our 4 year old grandson on the 23rd, and that was definitely the highlight. We’ve found things to do the last few years like the Atlanta Aquarium, nice restaurants, etc. We just returned from the Botanical Gardens in Pedmont Park where nthey do an amazing light show complete with music and 3-D glasses. I’m glad we went. 

It’s pretty nice having some quiet time with family doing things we usually find excuses to put off. It’s become a nice little tradition. 

That's awesome, Augie.

Our choices, here, are going to a Chinese restaurant or to Cumberland Farms (gas station/market).  Everything else is closed.  And it was a different story when my son was that young.

Tomorrow, we're going to a music store to get guitar strings, then to see see Star Wars in 3-D, then out for a late lunch/early dinner.  That will make up for today's day of nothingness.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's awesome, Augie.

Our choices, here, are going to a Chinese restaurant or to Cumberland Farms (gas station/market).  Everything else is closed.  And it was a different story when my son was that young.

Tomorrow, we're going to a music store to get guitar strings, then to see see Star Wars in 3-D, then out for a late lunch/early dinner.  That will make up for today's day of nothingness.

Well, my wife lines all this stuff up, and we may be out of options now....but it was fun while it lasted! 

A couple years ago we had dinner at a very nice restaurant that’s near us. A guy leaving as we entered was raving about the stone crab...to the point I wondered if he should be driving. He was gushing so much that’s what my growing food disposal of a son ordered. The stone crab special. I still laugh when I think of his expression when the starving boy realized he had ordered a single crab claw to sustain him. It was priced like an entree, but it was very lonely little crab claw (just the claw) on his tiny plate. We had to make additional arrangements. That story comes up every Christmas since, and even HE can laugh about it now! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thank you for protecting our lakes and rivers.

Hey Buddy... I am work right now... Running the gates so as to keep the mutha from freezing.  Keeping the water moving and bubblers on.  Moving water and bubbles from compressor keeps warm water on bottom circulating to the top.

<_<Some Christmas... At least it snowed last night when I was off... Other crew got snow plowing and shoveling done.

Now it's an awful 8°F out! :(

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Making TBD spirits bright since 2002!

Come on Gug... How much more boring can Christmas be with out a lock @ 8° reference... Totally NOT bikini weather unless we see one of these Gals boat on through:

depositphotos_90044678-stock-photo-sexy-

Doing an "ice stoppage" right now, ie: Flushing pit to keep water moving.

Look real close... That's an Asian carp with a Santa hat on swimming to Lake Michigan... (Right to left):lol:

Quick! Get the net... Oops that one got away!

31 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hey Buddy... I am work right now... Running the gates so as to keep the mutha from freezing.  Keeping the water moving and bubblers on.  Moving water and bubbles from compressor keeps warm water on bottom circulating to the top.

<_<Some Christmas... At least it snowed last night when I was off... Other crew got snow plowing and shoveling done.

Now it's an awful 8°F out! :(

It seems like every year now they keep the canal here open longer

If your bored, maybe your doing it Wrong? Maybe if people liked you more and you werent an *** they would want to spend time with you and have you over on Christmas day? J/k

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It seems like every year now they keep the canal here open longer

If your bored, maybe your doing it Wrong? Maybe if people liked you more and you werent an *** they would want to spend time with you and have you over on Christmas day? J/k

Never bored!

LoL... I live in Exile... Haven't seen family, outside my immediate (I am guy only his wife & kids can love... And I doubt that sometimes!), on Christmas in probably 20 years... Just another day.  I always wondered why nobody invites me!

My turn to work this year... Last two Christmas' off... SanFran/Squaw Valley 2015... Steamboat, CO last year.  I think I work the next 5 years on Christmas.  500 miles is a heck of a sleigh ride to Grandma's house! 

The canal here never closes... Navigation will push thorough 2-3 feet of ice during winter... If we don't get the cold, many years it doesn't even freeze... You know, "global warming."   "Polar Vortex" sux nuts!:P

Good Bless the Corps:

20171225_211237.jpg

Going to go lock a boat... Can watch it here:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.585/centery:41.645/zoom:14

Pushing 3,000 tons of steel coil... Two barges... 480' long by 35' wide... Water starting to slush/ice up.  Only will have him tie off with a stern line only.  Don't want deckhand walking 480' out to the bow to grab a lock line.  Barges are snowy, icy, & slippery and these barges are "strung out" NOT breasted next to each other... Which means deckhand only has about a foot walkway from falling in drink and most likely dieing in 34° water... One line this time of year for safety! Stay close to pusher boat!!

Safety, saftey, and MORE SAFETY! 

2 hours ago, 145B4IDIE said:

did atlanta aquarium learn how to keep fish alive yet?

I’ve been there several times and enjoyed each visit. You have a problem with sushi? 

Seriously, I’ve never heard that they had a worse problem than any other facility. Maybe it’s a real problem. I hope not. Maybe it’s just people with an issue. I can’t say. 

WTF!

Gotta another one lined up... Don't the marine companies shut down for Christmas so a man can get some rest!<_<

Look now or its gone in an hour...like watching paint dry:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.585/centery:41.645/zoom:14

"Loose lips sink ships?"  Who the hell is pushing 3,200 tons of ferro magnesium on Christmas?  And what the hell is ferro magnesium used for? <_<

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Never bored!

LoL... I live in Exile... Haven't seen family, outside my immediate (I am guy only his wife & kids can love... And I doubt that sometimes!), on Christmas in probably 20 years... Just another day.  I always wondered why nobody invites me!

My turn to work this year... Last two Christmas' off... SanFran/Squaw Valley 2015... Steamboat, CO last year.  I think I work the next 5 years on Christmas.  500 miles is a heck of a sleigh ride to Grandma's house! 

The canal here never closes... Navigation will push thorough 2-3 feet of ice during winter... If we don't get the cold, many years it doesn't even freeze... You know, "global warming."   "Polar Vortex" sux nuts!:P

Good Bless the Corps:

20171225_211237.jpg

I did not picture you as a skier.  I figured you were too much of a tightwad.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

I did not picture you as a skier.  I figured you were too much of a tightwad.

I am still a limo lib!!!

I wish I was a tightwad... I am hemorrhaging dough, got a kid in college and another one heading there in a few years.:(

This was Christmas Eve last year @ Steamboat... 48 year old and if you look closely in back, that's my 18 year old son trying to keep his ass up with me. Doesn't even have his upper body square and into the fall line... He's doomed!! :lol:

Steamboat_Eric_TomahawkCloseUP_12242016.jpg

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am still a limo lib!!!

I wish I was a tightwad... I am hemorrhaging dough, got a kid in college and another one heading there in a few years.:(

This was Christmas Eve last year @ Steamboat... 48 year old and if you look closely in back, that's my 18 year old son trying to keep his ass up with me. Doesn't even have his upper body square and into the fall line... He's doomed!! :lol:

Steamboat_Eric_TomahawkCloseUP_12242016.jpg

Nice!

1 minute ago, bbb said:

Nice!

He got better as winter dragged on... Easier mountains... ;) This is up in Arrowhead of Minny, 60 miles from Thunder Bay, Ontario... Lutsen Mountains, Minnesota... Was -25°, actual temp.  Lake Superior in background...

...Punk son was still on a groomer though, ribbon of corduroy! ;)

I am the one with GoPro.

Holidays are boring!  That's me & son on a cruiser @ Lutsen... Looking to film him on GoPro:

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

Holy ****!  We got snowed in (third time this week), but it doesn't matter, because everything is !@#$ing closed anyway.

We do the whole family get together thing on Christmas eve, so Christmas day is just watching my son open presents then a whole lot of nothing (other than snowblowing and having to take the dog out in -50 degree weather with 40mph wind gusts).

I rather enjoyed a day of quiet.  Isn’t the desire for peace universal?  Guess not.

Getting back on topic, spent Christmas Eve at the in-laws, small crowd this year, only 22 if us, eating and opening some presents. Too much food, a lot of leftovers for the rest of the week. Then Christmas Day off to my parents, through a lake effect storm. Got stuck in a line of cars because the lead person thought anything over 15mph in a 55 zone was crazy. I would have been going 30 or so, it wasn’t that bad. Then repeat of last night, more food, too much made, lots of leftovers, and opening more presents. Nothing Bills related this year thankfully. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I rather enjoyed a day of quiet.  Isn’t the desire for peace universal?  Guess not.

You're confusing peace with boredom, which I can totally understand.

Being snowed/iced in for multiple days compounded the boredom situation.

I also enjoy occasional days of having nothing to do and enjoying an entire day of peace.  I had one of those on Friday because of snow.  Then another on Saturday because of ice/freezing rain.  Sunday was great, as I we got out of the house and spent a solid 4 hours with family at my parents' house.  Yesterday ... another snowstorm, followed by wind gusts that drifted snow back onto the roads and immediately froze it.

So my biggest gripe is the weather for the majority of the weekend.

And mind you, I haven't had 5 consecutive days off from work in years.  Possibly double digits.  I was just hoping for a bit more and, at the very least, to have some options.

Rant over.  But I, too, have a desire for peace.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Don't people just buy those bubblers on Amazon so lakes don't freeze around their boats?

Why is there a "government" job to run !@#$ing bubblers?

I seem to recall a thread where I was lectured that locks don't use any electronic pumps or devices...it's all gravity nowadays.

Next thing I read is how there's all kinds of buttons for bubblers. Are the bubblers run on gravity? Is there a group of guys that blow into a hose to create bubbles?

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

I seem to recall a thread where I was lectured that locks don't use any electronic pumps or devices...it's all gravity nowadays.

Next thing I read is how there's all kinds of buttons for bubblers. Are the bubblers run on gravity? Is there a group of guys that blow into a hose to create bubbles?

I think they call them SKs or something like that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He got better as winter dragged on... Easier mountains... ;) This is up in Arrowhead of Minny, 60 miles from Thunder Bay, Ontario... Lutsen Mountains, Minnesota... Was -25°, actual temp.  Lake Superior in background...

...Punk son was still on a groomer though, ribbon of corduroy! ;)

I am the one with GoPro.

Holidays are boring!  That's me & son on a cruiser @ Lutsen... Looking to film him on GoPro:

Damn.  You're good!

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

May I suggest moving to SE FL?  

Yesterday on Christmas day my SO and I did a beach walk and it was really quite crowded.  Sunshine, lovely weather, bikinis and hot flesh all over the place.

On Christmas Eve our neighborhood had a block party of sorts, out in the street, with everyone drinking, kids playing, in summertime weather...very nice indeed.

Yesterday a neighborhood kid was out riding around on her new bike she got for Xmas with a pack of hood kids playing around her...

Life in a climate where it is cold, more or less, half the year, sucks.

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

May I suggest moving to SE FL?  

Yesterday on Christmas day my SO and I did a beach walk and it was really quite crowded.  Sunshine, lovely weather, bikinis and hot flesh all over the place.

On Christmas Eve our neighborhood had a block party of sorts, out in the street, with everyone drinking, kids playing, in summertime weather...very nice indeed.

Yesterday a neighborhood kid was out riding around on her new bike she got for Xmas with a pack of hood kids playing around her...

Life in a climate where it is cold, more or less, half the year, sucks.

How are the summers in your hood?

Not sure if this is on topic... :D. Never boring.  My sister near St. Albans, VT always sends out homemade, natural evergreen wreaths at holidays, been doing this for 20+ years.  Well, this year, she said she sent it out weeks ago... Had to convene with USDA, get special permission to ship outside "gypsy moth quarantine" of New England, New York.  Okay, she jumped thru the enviro hoops.  It never came by USPS.  So I finally had to text her Christmas Eve, even against my wife's tender sensibilities.  She tracked package... It said to call: "Customer Support."  Well she did... But it seems the effers at Post Office don't work Holidays like Christmas and Christmas Eve!

You got some 'splaining to do Lucy (Howard, Fergy, and Gug), rain, sleet, or snow my arse!

Well... Anyway, Christmas wreath drama.  I shoot off a few texts that "maybe the truck crashed."  She calls today and says that USPS said there was a truck fire on route from Nashua, NH and unfortunately, "wreath perished." So sad!  Not the only thing that perished in New England this December (the Bills).

Okay... Is the USPS rigged like the NFL?  They are giving her 15 bucks back and $50 insurance.  NFL... <_< So Postal Service has that going for it!

Did they lie and burn it after finding a gypsy moth?  Are they pissed we are sending Vermont Asian carp?

Thanks for your service all you postal workers out there.  They did tell my sister that truck driver is okay!  The driver probably got 45 days "traumatic leave" off.  I know how this works, I am a Fed employee.  And the postal carrier that watched this scorch earth operation probably was triggered also and got 45 days off too.

What a tangled web we weave when first we try to deceive!  Thanks for wrecking my Christmas, the spot light on house now is  shown on the empty brick face where my Vermont Holiday wreath should hang... In remembrance of the fallen winter greenery that met its untimely fate in the "Live Free or Die" state.  Why the heck was truck going towards Boston, down I-89 and not I-87 and west? Too cheap to get across Lake Champlain?  Don't USPS have Ice Road Truckers?

Christmas conspiracy!