Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

8 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Finished season 1 of Another Life on Netflix, starring Katee Sackhoff of Battle Star Galactica fame. Set in the near future, an alien artifact lands on Earth which prompts a space journey by a large diverse group of 20-30 year olds to find out its origin and reason, led by Sackhoff. If you like the current versions of Lost in Space and Star Trek you’ll like it. 

That one didn't work for me. I found the plot plodding and the acting poor (including Sackhoff, whose acting range may not extend beyond her Starbuck character's). When they dedicated an entire episode to "ship trouble" and not advancing the plot, I finally checked out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Without going through the entire thread, there's  nextfilx 2 season series called "End of the F***ing World", it's a british series, 21 minute episode dark 'dramedy' or whatever you want to classify it as....it's very bizarre, but very good....i got sucked into the first season and stayed up way past my bedtime last nite watching it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/21/2019 at 10:34 AM, Sundancer said:

That one didn't work for me. I found the plot plodding and the acting poor (including Sackhoff, whose acting range may not extend beyond her Starbuck character's). When they dedicated an entire episode to "ship trouble" and not advancing the plot, I finally checked out. 

I agree. We were able to finish it because we wanted to see the result of each cliffhanger and I personally enjoyed all the typical sci-fi tropes going on. Just mindless viewing.

That crew was so odd, though. Like a bunch of dumb teenagers. How were they picked to be world-saving astronauts?

On 11/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, PastaJoe said:

Finished season 1 of Another Life on Netflix, starring Katee Sackhoff of Battle Star Galactica fame. Set in the near future, an alien artifact lands on Earth which prompts a space journey by a large diverse group of 20-30 year olds to find out its origin and reason, led by Sackhoff. If you like the current versions of Lost in Space and Star Trek you’ll like it. 

Millenials in Space <_<

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/14/2019 at 10:20 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Few  things...

Just finished Peaky Season 5 ..okay, not great, will watch season 6 when it hits.

I like history, Netwflix just put out Greatest Events in WW2 in color, and i have learned a few things..like meth amphetamines were very important to the  success of the Blitzkrieg strategy..hmm, never knew that.

I also enjoy the "Explained" series on Netflix..similar to Adam Ruins Everything" , but i think well done. Watch one last night on Meat..thought it well balanced, interesting etc.

Thanks for the heads up on "Greatest Events in WW2."    I love documentaries and watched the first 3 episodes in one sitting.  As many documentaries that I've seen on WW2, there is always something new.  The fact that before the Germans go into France, the conservative German generals thought it would be a good idea in that it would not work and thus would put an end to war.  However, one general came up with the plan of going through the Ardennes and that proved very successful.   Also, there was quite an impact of a WW1 hangover, as many soldiers on both sides were a bit non-committal.  This tended to affect their battlefield decisions.

The Smithsonian channel just had a series  "The Pacific War in Color."  I DVR'd it.  It is also very good.  Not sure if they will run it again.  I think they chose to run it because of Dec 7th.

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for the heads up on "Greatest Events in WW2."    I love documentaries and watched the first 3 episodes in one sitting.  As many documentaries that I've seen on WW2, there is always something new.  The fact that before the Germans go into France, the conservative German generals thought it would be a good idea in that it would not work and thus would put an end to war.  However, one general came up with the plan of going through the Ardennes and that proved very successful.   Also, there was quite an impact of a WW1 hangover, as many soldiers on both sides were a bit non-committal.  This tended to affect their battlefield decisions.

The Smithsonian channel just had a series  "The Pacific War in Color."  I DVR'd it.  It is also very good.  Not sure if they will run it again.  I think they chose to run it because of Dec 7th.

yes, it was a great series. BTW, watched a bit of this last night, https://www.amazon.com/Blitzed-Nazis-Drugs-Duncan-Napier-Bell/dp/B07SH9QQZ6. Have to get a free trial to this Acorn thing, but did it right through Amazon, just have to remember to cancel.

As an aside, watched the finale of Silicon Valley also the other night. I have loved that show, and thought the finale was extremely well done.

Last note, out Netflix got hacked last night..guess there is no danger to credit card information, people just want access to Netlix I guess

• Like (+1) 1

Finished Altered Carbon on Netflix. Futuristic murder mystery with a feel of Blade Runner. People’s memories are kept in ‘stacks’ which can be implanted in any body ‘sleeve’, so people can live forever. Grandma could have the body of a biker guy. I’d recommend it.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I'll keep this thread going instead of starting a new thread.

I am deep into the first season of "Good Girls".  It is very entertaining and not just because of Christina Hendrick's.  It's going to be fun to see how this show progresses.

I didn't realize this thread existed!!  Gonna go delete my "You," thread now.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/14/2019 at 8:32 AM, apuszczalowski said:

I'm not a fan of 'documentary' or information type movies out there anymore because I find that the line between them and propaganda is heavily blurred. It used to be you could watch something that was a 'documentary' and feel good knowing that the information presented is fact. Today it's so skewed towards the message they want to pass off as fact that you don't know the actual truth unless you just research it all yourself.

I watched Jeff Garlins standup special last night, it wasn't bad, really plugged John Mulaney at the end. Also was confused at the start because it didn't seem to have any real intro (unless I missed it), it just seemed to start with him on stage doing a joke. 

Like most things in the MSM these days lying by omission seems to be the preferred tactic.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

just finished the 2nd season of American Gods. not sure i understood one ***** second of that one.

Season 2 dropped off big time from Season 1.  From what I gathered

Ian McShane is Shadow Moon's father and the Leprechaun's grandfather

They replaced Agent Scully with a hot Japanese school girl

Orlando Jones isn't fond of white people

Shadow Moon has a new identity

The Leprechaun and Dead Wife are a couple now

• Like (+1) 1