Penny-Wise? Possible McCoy heir apparent?

Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Remember how the Bills dominated the '00s after wisely spending 3 first round picks on running backs within 8 years?   Good times.

We ran the ball pretty good though. No QB who passed for 300 yards in that span ever made the playoffs, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by jmc12290
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. QB and trenches only in the first 2 rounds. No receivers, no running backs, no corners. Our failings this year have been in games where we have been blown off the ball on one side or the other or both or where our Quarterback play has been substandard. I know our recivers are not great and I know Shady can't go on forever. But I think they should be 2019 priorities or 2018 late round fliers. 

agreed.  RB is an easy position to draft.  

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. QB and trenches only in the first 2 rounds. No receivers, no running backs, no corners. Our failings this year have been in games where we have been blown off the ball on one side or the other or both or where our Quarterback play has been substandard. I know our recivers are not great and I know Shady can't go on forever. But I think they should be 2019 priorities or 2018 late round fliers. 

This. All of this.

And they’ll have to use both FA and the draft to do it. I expect they make a run at Lotulelei but that still leaves a lot of questions at DT. What do they do with KW, resign him? They need another pass rushing DE. 

The entire right side of the OL needs some work. I’d prefer they keep Glenn and figure out who goes at RT between Glenn/Dawkins. Or put them next to each other and move Richie to RG. No point at trading Glenn when his value is at an all time low. They could look to the draft or FA for these positions.

There's only two RBs I'd take RD1, Saquon Barkley and Derrius Guice, I'm not interested in anyone else. Not because I'm against drafting RB high but because I genuinely feel there are only two that will completely dominate at the next level.

I'm hoping for a QB with that 1st pick, I think we all are. Wouldn't mind another WR, LB or DE with that second 1st. I'm hoping Cordy Glenn is back, dealing him would be a mistake. DT I hope we address in the 2nd round or later along with a couple serviceable vets in free agency.

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Could Rashaad Penny be the heir replacement to McCoy?  He’s being projected as a mid first rounder but it’s also a deep RB class.

So if we address the QB position by either FA (Cousins rumors) or in the draft where we didn’t need to give up both first round picks, I wonder if Bills would target him with the other first round pick we have if he was available at our pick.  

QB will obviously (or at least should be) addressed first and then I would probably rank DL and OL a bigger priority, but we will need to probably draft a RB this year too.  So I wonder if he would be too good to pass up in the first if we have addressed our QB situation already and still have one of our 2 first rounders.

Assuming we use our first pick on a QB or sign Cousins (which I still doubt we do), how would you feel about Penny as one of our first round picks to back up McCoy and eventually take over?  Personally I would be on board with this and pretty excited and then we can use rest of picks addressing the other holes.

Ugh... the Bills better not waste another 1st round pick on a RB..... that is a strategy that is now multiple decades old..... 

Everybody that wishes we still had Mike Gillislee have missed the fact that in a rb rotation after the few first games with the Patriots has completely lost his job and Romo pointed out why. When Gillislee is in he is not a viable receiving threat therefore making the play 2 dimensional instead of three. Either throwing to the WR's or TE or handing it off to Mike G. I found that interesting that is all. 

I do want a viable rb2 to spell Shady but again I think it should be done 3rd rd or later. I Really want Cousins then work on the Dline and Oline and LB a flier on a WR and RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lets see what the Bills do in Free Agency. Lets see who hits the open market. Will NE resign both Burkehead and Lewis? Will the 49ers do anything with Hyde? I would take all three of those guys to run behind Shady. The Bills need QB, OL, DL, and LB's in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

Ronald Jones has some real nice runs....he runs between the tackles, but has that step, plant and run to the outside speed. Also, Sony Michel, shows good promise as a 3 down RB since he can catch and does a decent job of pass blocking...i'll take either of those guys in the 2nd or 3rd round over a 1st round pick, simply because of the cost. 

13 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Everybody that wishes we still had Mike Gillislee have missed the fact that in a rb rotation after the few first games with the Patriots has completely lost his job and Romo pointed out why. When Gillislee is in he is not a viable receiving threat therefore making the play 2 dimensional instead of three. Either throwing to the WR's or TE or handing it off to Mike G. I found that interesting that is all. 

I do want a viable rb2 to spell Shady but again I think it should be done 3rd rd or later. I Really want Cousins then work on the Dline and Oline and LB a flier on a WR and RB. 

I am on board with Cousins. He is only 29 and he can put up some good numbers. He has experience so there is no rookie learning curve. He has some issues but if you can use all your draft picks and some free agents to put talent around him, the Bills become a lot better a lot quicker. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I am on board with Cousins. He is only 29 and he can put up some good numbers. He has experience so there is no rookie learning curve. He has some issues but if you can use all your draft picks and some free agents to put talent around him, the Bills become a lot better a lot quicker. 

I like the Cousins idea too. I think his issues are mainly due to the oline going through 100 different combinations due to injury. Give him a decent oline and a good rb and I think he'll do very well. Can't believe it, but it looks like he made 42 million over the last 2 seasons and if they transition tag him for 2018, it'll be for 28.7 million. Wow!!