Penny-Wise? Possible McCoy heir apparent?

Alphadawg7

Could Rashaad Penny be the heir replacement to McCoy?  He’s being projected as a mid first rounder but it’s also a deep RB class.

So if we address the QB position by either FA (Cousins rumors) or in the draft where we didn’t need to give up both first round picks, I wonder if Bills would target him with the other first round pick we have if he was available at our pick.  

QB will obviously (or at least should be) addressed first and then I would probably rank DL and OL a bigger priority, but we will need to probably draft a RB this year too.  So I wonder if he would be too good to pass up in the first if we have addressed our QB situation already and still have one of our 2 first rounders.

Assuming we use our first pick on a QB or sign Cousins (which I still doubt we do), how would you feel about Penny as one of our first round picks to back up McCoy and eventually take over?  Personally I would be on board with this and pretty excited and then we can use rest of picks addressing the other holes.

No. QB and trenches only in the first 2 rounds. No receivers, no running backs, no corners. Our failings this year have been in games where we have been blown off the ball on one side or the other or both or where our Quarterback play has been substandard. I know our recivers are not great and I know Shady can't go on forever. But I think they should be 2019 priorities or 2018 late round fliers. 

• Like (+1) 14

There is a ton of value in mid rounds when it comes to running backs.

running backs are like LB’s for me. You need to be a sure fire all pro to be taken in the top 15 . There is not a ton of drop off from the mid 1st to the third round. If Michel is there in late second I’d like to see the Bills trade back up for him. i really think Michel has what it takes to be special . 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

He's a good RB, but the class is deep like you say. Barkley is the top guy hands down. After that you have guys like Guice, Chubb, Michel, Jones III, possibly Adams, Bryce Love, I mean there will be talent everywhere at RB in the 1st 4 Rounds probably. I hope we don't spend a pick on one until the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Could Rashaad Penny be the heir replacement to McCoy?  He’s being projected as a mid first rounder but it’s also a deep RB class.

So if we address the QB position by either FA (Cousins rumors) or in the draft where we didn’t need to give up both first round picks, I wonder if Bills would target him with the other first round pick we have if he was available at our pick.  

QB will obviously (or at least should be) addressed first and then I would probably rank DL and OL a bigger priority, but we will need to probably draft a RB this year too.  So I wonder if he would be too good to pass up in the first if we have addressed our QB situation already and still have one of our 2 first rounders.

Assuming we use our first pick on a QB or sign Cousins (which I still doubt we do), how would you feel about Penny as one of our first round picks to back up McCoy and eventually take over?  Personally I would be on board with this and pretty excited and then we can use rest of picks addressing the other holes.

He is not being projected as a first rounder at all by most experts and if you watch him play, he's doesn't look like a first round talent at RB.  Don't know where you got that info from but he is not widely regarded as a first round pick.

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

NO

This is the year to secure the qb.....whatever it takes...which is not going to leave room for a early RB

Come on now, I very specifically stated that QB had already been satisfied in this scenario.  There is no need to say we need a QB first, thts obvious.  But there are scenarios where we won’t need to spend both our 2 first round picks to get said QB, and so I proposed that if we satisfied the QB need and were in position to also draft Penny, should we.  

This is what is frustrating about posting here at times, people respond without actually reading the post.  Don’t mean to call you out, many others did it as well and do it all the time, just that it’s annoying.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Come on now, I very specifically stated that QB had already been satisfied in this scenario.  There is no need to say we need a QB first, thts obvious.  But there are scenarios where we won’t need to spend both our 2 first round picks to get said QB, and so I proposed that if we satisfied the QB need and were in position to also draft Penny, should we.  

This is what is frustrating about posting here at times, people respond without actually reading the post.  Don’t mean to call you out, many others did it as well and do it all the time, just that it’s annoying.

Alpha,

Iim sorry I did not read the whole thing through.  That being said I dont think there is a scenario where both those 1st round picks do not go to a qb......and even if by chance we end up getting cousins we will likely have to give up at least 1 first round pick for him.....should we really use our other 1st round pick on a RB?

Shady shows no side of slowing down......what he really needs in front of him is a line that does not start Decauusse.

We have no deep threat WR

Cadet has been good in relief.....I would actually like to get Mike G. back if the patriots cut him

Then there is the gaping hole in the middle of our DL.........

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not a 1st rounder. Maybe 3rd. RB is too deep in this draft. He’s really good though - would love to have him. 

I think he will be go somewhere between bottom third of the first and middle of the second.  Very possible we can draft a QB (assuming we don’t sign Cousins, which I personally think we won’t) and then grab Penny within the first 2 rounds.

And I have serious doubts McCoy is here with his price tag under this GM for more than 1 more season.  I fully expect him to be here in 2018, but with a need at RB2, they could see this deep RB class to nab a guy for RB2 that can succeed McCoy in 2019.  In fact I feel the odds are strong that we will draft a RB in first 3 rounds.

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think he will be go somewhere between bottom third of the first and middle of the second.  Very possible we can draft a QB (assuming we don’t sign Cousins, which I personally think we won’t) and then grab Penny within the first 2 rounds.

And I have serious doubts McCoy is here with his price tag under this GM for more than 1 more season.  I fully expect him to be here in 2018, but with a need at RB2, they could see this deep RB class to nab a guy for RB2 that can succeed McCoy in 2019.  In fact I feel the odds are strong that we will draft a RB in first 3 rounds.

As of right now, I strongly disagree that Penny will be taken that high with Barkley, Guice, Love, Chubb, and Johnson being in the conversation.  I don't see that many running backs taken that high,  Penny seems like the most likely to fall to down the draft.  

We will learn more during the senior bowl, combine...

Edited by Buffalo30