Hot Take: 2018 Quarterback

elijah

7 hours ago, elijah said:

If we make the playoffs, I strongly believe our week one quarterback next year will be either Tyrod Taylor or Kirk Cousins. 

I'm not exactly sure the likelihood of us getting Cousins, but if we aren't with Kirk, I think we're with Tyrod.  Regardless of our standing with Tyrod/Kirk, I believe we will draft the quarterback that falls to us at our first round pick, if not our second round pick, and let them develop on the bench behind Tyrod/Kirk for a year.  

McDermott has been huge on "Trust the Process," and if the first year of the process brings us to the playoffs that allows us to take our time with the process rather than rushing it.  We've repeatedly seen quarterbacks have more success when they can afford their rookie year on the bench to develop.  Not only this, but while Tyrod doesn't match the skill set that McDermott/Beane want at quarterback, he definitely matches the character that they're looking for.  

If you look at these college quarterbacks right now, the only one that appears to ready to start immediately is Josh Rosen, and he's likely the first overall pick.  We're said to like Darnold, Darnold has decision-making issues and forces too many passes. He'd throw 20+ interceptions if he started rookie year.  We're said to like Rudolph, Rudolph has trouble making multiple reads and is in a quick trigger system where he almost always throws to his first target.  He'd also throw 20+ interceptions if he started rookie year.  McDermott/Beane are open as liking big quarterbacks with strong arms.  So that makes Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen also options, both have serious accuracy issues that need to be cleaned up on the bench for a year.  And I'm sorry to the people that love college style quarterback's, but we're simply not taking Mayfield.  He has serious characters issues that McDermott simply won't have on his team, much less as his starting quarterback.

I don't believe Tyrod is our future, nor do I want him to be the future, but I truly believe that with a playoff berth, he'll be around for one more year.  If we can't bring in Kirk through free agency, Tyrod simply the best option at quarterback for next year. 

Thoughts on this? 

I think Josh Allen's struggles against big time competition is probably the biggest sign that he is a project QB.  Primarily, he's got to get his footwork down better.  Lamar Jackson is a very different QB, but I look at Desean Watson's success (until he got injured) as in indicator that Lamar Jackson could have success sooner rather than later.  I see a lot of Watson in Jackson.  That doesn't necessarily mean I think the Bills are going to draft him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21836489/2018-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-preview-background-scouting-reports-pro-fits

There are a couple of SoCal dudes still turning heads, a big guy in Wyoming who makes scouts drool and a Heisman-winning bad boy who may or may not be 6 feet tall. It's a fun group, and will dominate a lot of our attention in the four months leading up to the 2018 NFL draft.

Enjoy ? 

Finley....won’t cost extra Draft capital, hits all the buttons for the WCO, and great at all levels of field, with low INT and good completion percentage. Not perfect, not huge arm, but great solid prospect. Late first / early 2nd depending on combine, all IMHO. He would be a guy that would be good to either let him learn baptism by fire - 1st year - or develop a year or two behind Alex Smith.

Allens team did struggle vs power 5 teams that is no doubt true.  Im not sure how much of that struggle is on Allen when he was the only player on the feild for Wyoming physcially gifted to play at that level.   Jackson vs Clemson had a big run and big pass in garbage time.  I dont see how Jackson is a better pro Qb prospect than Allen to be honest.  His mechanics footwork and pocket awareness all seem below Allen at this stage of their developments.  

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why did we go back to him then?  And why declare he's the starter when healthy?  Not seeing it. Time will tell. Not saying he'll be back, not saying he won't.

Because he is the best option today 

a few things on this thread: 

1) we aren’t giving cousins top flight qb pay AND taking a qb day 1

2) it’s clear that barring something major (ala Flacco’s crazy super bowl run) this regime doesn’t think Tyrod is the guy

3) it’s totally possible Tyrod is still the best option to pair with a rookie by the time you weigh out dead money, guarantees for a new guy etc....

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I disagree. When Hotrod got his knee boo boo, Coach McDermott declared when healthy he would be the starter.  He has a little confidence anyway. Coaches want to win.

I have no ideas what's going to happen in the off season.  But I do think that Hotrod getting cut is far from certain.

I'd be good with Case but not McCown.

TT was benched for a rookie in a very important road game.  Because he was named starter after injury means one thing.  He doesn’t have as much confidence in nate as he does TT.  That’s not saying much. The fact that he was benched in the middle of a playoff run only shows one thing imo.

Weird how much people aren't considering that Tyrod is under contract through the end of next year at what is a relatively cheap price for a starting NFL QB, making it the perfect Bridge contract for whatever rookie is sitting there ready to take the helm in 2019 if not sometime during 2018.

It's possible we trade him, but I think much less possible we just cut him.

As for whatever arguments people might make about the relationship being irreparable and everyone needing to go their separate ways... once again, he's under contract. And Tyrod has been the consummate professional.

• Like (+1) 1

The only way I'd want to see Tyrod starting next year is if he wins the next two games AND his eventual replacement is on the roster.

I don't want to repeat the mistake of replacing a flawed but winning QB (Flutie) for a loser who looks good in drills, but I also don't want to make the Kordell Stewart mistake and squander years of opportunity by sticking with a hopelessly limited QB.

IMO anything short of a Superbowl appearance and Tyrod is gone after this season. 

I'm still slightly nervous McD may try to start Peterman again against Miami next week if the Bills get blown out on Sunday.  I'd be shocked if TT is still in Buffalo next year.  

4 hours ago, Adam727 said:

IMO anything short of a Superbowl appearance and Tyrod is gone after this season. 

I'm still slightly nervous McD may try to start Peterman again against Miami next week if the Bills get blown out on Sunday.  I'd be shocked if TT is still in Buffalo next year.  

I believe TT starts out the year unless he is hurt again. This comming from someone that really wants to see Petterman succeed.  

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah?

And how did that game, I mean half, go? :flirt:

Yeah?  With the exception of his mediocre performance last week, at home against Miami, how has Tyrod played down the stretch?  What, did he throw for 53 yards against the Saints?  

Yeah, they’re going to shell out 18 million for Tyrod next year with all the holes needed to fill in FA.  Yeah, bud :bag:

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Based on everything the team has been through (17 years etc), if we make the playoffs, Hotrod deserves to be presumptive starter next year PERIOD IMHO.

A team wins because of it's QB.

And that's with spotting the Chargers a game hahaha. We'd be sitting pretty if we didn't give up that game before it even started.