Hot Take: 2018 Quarterback

elijah

If we make the playoffs, I strongly believe our week one quarterback next year will be either Tyrod Taylor or Kirk Cousins. 

I'm not exactly sure the likelihood of us getting Cousins, but if we aren't with Kirk, I think we're with Tyrod.  Regardless of our standing with Tyrod/Kirk, I believe we will draft the quarterback that falls to us at our first round pick, if not our second round pick, and let them develop on the bench behind Tyrod/Kirk for a year.  

McDermott has been huge on "Trust the Process," and if the first year of the process brings us to the playoffs that allows us to take our time with the process rather than rushing it.  We've repeatedly seen quarterbacks have more success when they can afford their rookie year on the bench to develop.  Not only this, but while Tyrod doesn't match the skill set that McDermott/Beane want at quarterback, he definitely matches the character that they're looking for.  

If you look at these college quarterbacks right now, the only one that appears to ready to start immediately is Josh Rosen, and he's likely the first overall pick.  We're said to like Darnold, Darnold has decision-making issues and forces too many passes. He'd throw 20+ interceptions if he started rookie year.  We're said to like Rudolph, Rudolph has trouble making multiple reads and is in a quick trigger system where he almost always throws to his first target.  He'd also throw 20+ interceptions if he started rookie year.  McDermott/Beane are open as liking big quarterbacks with strong arms.  So that makes Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen also options, both have serious accuracy issues that need to be cleaned up on the bench for a year.  And I'm sorry to the people that love college style quarterback's, but we're simply not taking Mayfield.  He has serious characters issues that McDermott simply won't have on his team, much less as his starting quarterback.

I don't believe Tyrod is our future, nor do I want him to be the future, but I truly believe that with a playoff berth, he'll be around for one more year.  If we can't bring in Kirk through free agency, Tyrod simply the best option at quarterback for next year. 

Thoughts on this? 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Based on everything the team has been through (17 years etc), if we make the playoffs, Hotrod deserves to be presumptive starter next year PERIOD IMHO.

A team wins because of it's QB.

If we make the playoffs he deserves to be the starter?  Nope, IMO.  Regardless, we’re moving on.  We already know what Tyrod brings to the table.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Based on everything the team has been through (17 years etc), if we make the playoffs, Hotrod deserves to be presumptive starter next year PERIOD IMHO.

Cant shoot for the stars and get Mccown or Keenum ? 

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

If people can't see that the coaching staff has next to no confidence in Taylor then I don't know what to tell you at this point.

I disagree. When Hotrod got his knee boo boo, Coach McDermott declared when healthy he would be the starter.  He has a little confidence anyway. Coaches want to win.

I have no ideas what's going to happen in the off season.  But I do think that Hotrod getting cut is far from certain.

1 minute ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Cant shoot for the stars and get Mccown or Keenum ? 

I'd be good with Case but not McCown.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

I disagree. When Hotrod got his knee boo boo, Coach McDermott declared when healthy he would be the starter.  He has a little confidence anyway. Coaches want to win.

I have no ideas what's going to happen in the off season.  But I do think that Hotrod getting cut is far from certain.

I think the fact that Peterman started a game this season while Tyrod was healthy is a pretty good indication that they’re going to go in a different direction.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think the fact that Peterman started a game this season while Tyrod was healthy is a pretty good indication that they’re going to go in a different direction.

Why did we go back to him then?  And why declare he's the starter when healthy?  Not seeing it. Time will tell. Not saying he'll be back, not saying he won't.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

And as soon as we are in the lead we don't trust him to make throws and stick with the running game to chew the clock.

Edited by Woodman19

2 hours ago, elijah said:

If we make the playoffs, I strongly believe our week one quarterback next year will be either Tyrod Taylor or Kirk Cousins. 

I'm not exactly sure the likelihood of us getting Cousins, but if we aren't with Kirk, I think we're with Tyrod.  Regardless of our standing with Tyrod/Kirk, I believe we will draft the quarterback that falls to us at our first round pick, if not our second round pick, and let them develop on the bench behind Tyrod/Kirk for a year.  

McDermott has been huge on "Trust the Process," and if the first year of the process brings us to the playoffs that allows us to take our time with the process rather than rushing it.  We've repeatedly seen quarterbacks have more success when they can afford their rookie year on the bench to develop.  Not only this, but while Tyrod doesn't match the skill set that McDermott/Beane want at quarterback, he definitely matches the character that they're looking for.  

If you look at these college quarterbacks right now, the only one that appears to ready to start immediately is Josh Rosen, and he's likely the first overall pick.  We're said to like Darnold, Darnold has decision-making issues and forces too many passes. He'd throw 20+ interceptions if he started rookie year.  We're said to like Rudolph, Rudolph has trouble making multiple reads and is in a quick trigger system where he almost always throws to his first target.  He'd also throw 20+ interceptions if he started rookie year.  McDermott/Beane are open as liking big quarterbacks with strong arms.  So that makes Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen also options, both have serious accuracy issues that need to be cleaned up on the bench for a year.  And I'm sorry to the people that love college style quarterback's, but we're simply not taking Mayfield.  He has serious characters issues that McDermott simply won't have on his team, much less as his starting quarterback.

I don't believe Tyrod is our future, nor do I want him to be the future, but I truly believe that with a playoff berth, he'll be around for one more year.  If we can't bring in Kirk through free agency, Tyrod simply the best option at quarterback for next year. 

Thoughts on this? 

My thoughts on this are.... 

If Tyrod Taylor or Kirk Cousins is our QB next year we get everything we deserve, this is the year to grab the QB we want to lead us into the future, we have the draft capital for the first time in forever and I couldn't care less if we burn next years 1st round pick if it means we finally struck gold at the most important position in football. We've selected 2 QB's in the 1st round of the draft (JP Losman/EJ Manuel) in 17 losing seasons, how is that even possible? This team never builds for the future and never has had a clue what to do about the QB situation, hopefully the right people are in place (Beane, McDermott, rest of staff) so we can finally get this thing right. I'm not sure why anyone would be "ok" at all with Tyrod Taylor leading this team next year or Kirk Cousins who has had 1 playoff season and is a 6-8 team this year with a best case scenario of 8-8, seems like alot of what we had in the past... mediocre, I want to be better than that, draft an elite franchise QB, who that QB is I don't know, that's what you pay the big bucks to the coaching staff and scouts for, time for them to earn the money.

19 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I disagree.  This team has won because of it's defense in most games. Besides the three game skid, the defense has given up an average of 15 points a game.  Those are a lot of winnable games.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If we make the playoffs he deserves to be the starter?  Nope, IMO.  Regardless, we’re moving on.  We already know what Tyrod brings to the table.

This makes me want to kiss you on the mouf.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Lot of coaches like to sit on a lead.

McCoach certainly does.  If we’re up 14 or more, we’re not taking ANY chances on offense.  Play bend but don’t break defense and chew clock on offense.  Bonus if you can move the sticks a few times.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This makes me want to kiss you on the mouf.

Believe me, I am a HUGE fan of Tyrod Taylor.  I love the guy and it kills me that he just doesn’t have “it.”  His play this season has proven to me that we can/should do better at the QB position.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, elijah said:

Thoughts on this? 

If we sign Kirk, that's a multi year deal for big $$ or else he's not coming here.  So can't see signing him and then also drafting a guy to develop.  If it's TT, then can see it playing out exactly as you describe.  Of the two options would rather see the Bills sign a vet (or only draft someone in Rd 2) as overall many of these supposed can't miss prospects in September, now all have some types of question marks or flags.   A round #2 pick that fails is much easier to accept.