Has officiating ever NOT been a problem?

Steptide

It's always good to have played on a team where it didn't matter what the refs did, you just went out and kicked the opponent's behinds.

Looking to the refs is a losing strategy showing lack of confidence

And it almost always evens out in the end

and punks and whiners yelling about every ball and strike call and flag toss need a Daddy to hit them in the head with a crumpled beer can advising them loudly to SHUT THE !@#$ UP NOW!!!!

IMO the officiating is quite good.  When we scrutinize every inch and slow things down to the microsecond.... its impossible to look good 100% of the time.

We saw what can happen with the replacement refs.  We had bad calls, rules were misunderstood/not enforced correctly, and quite rapidly the fabric of the game was being torn.  After about 4 weeks games were all devolving into numerous skirmishes, large scale arguments with the refs, etc.  

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

IMO the officiating is quite good.  When we scrutinize every inch and slow things down to the microsecond.... its impossible to look good 100% of the time.

We saw what can happen with the replacement refs.  We had bad calls, rules were misunderstood/not enforced correctly, and quite rapidly the fabric of the game was being torn.  After about 4 weeks games were all devolving into numerous skirmishes, large scale arguments with the refs, etc.  

Loved the replacement refs. I don't have the exact stat, but the Bills played the Pats in the first game back with the "real" refs.Up that point, Pats were averaging something 9 penalties a game. Bet my Pats fan friend going into the Bills game, they would have less than 3 against the Bills. They got one, an offside on a kickoff late in the 4th.

Bills got thumped, least I won $50.

I think NFL officiating has been a disgrace for the last 5 to 7 years. the Patriots continue to be favored and it's now getting the point where it's obvious. Tom Brady is the NFL's Golden Child and cash cow. And the smaller Market teams will continue to not get calls and continue to do what they're supposed to do, just be schedule filler....

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Like it or not, that's why the NHL has it better.  Put away the whistle and let the players decide.  Right now the NFL ref's play a relatively major role in determining a winner of the game

Paul Stewart was an NHL ref and former player. He said as a ref he only wanted to call penalties on plays that pissed you off as a player. Always thought that was a good approach.

The NFL needs to change the degree of violation on special teams holding and illegal blocks- they should be more generous in letting those penalties go. Special teams penalties kill positive field position, eliminates some exciting returns and keeps scoring down and allows for conservative play calling as drives often start inside your own 20.

Penalties away from the play that don't affect the play in any way should be considered allowable.

Call the penalties that affect the play.

I don't understand the illegal formation penalties- not sure how they help the offense. Stop calling those too. So what the WR doesn't cover the end, where's the advantage?

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Paul Stewart was an NHL ref and former player. He said as a ref he only wanted to call penalties on plays that pissed you off as a player. Always thought that was a good approach.

The NFL needs to change the degree of violation on special teams holding and illegal blocks- they should be more generous in letting those penalties go. Special teams penalties kill positive field position, eliminates some exciting returns and keeps scoring down and allows for conservative play calling as drives often start inside your own 20.

Penalties away from the play that don't affect the play in any way should be considered allowable.

Call the penalties that affect the play.

I don't understand the illegal formation penalties- not sure how they help the offense. Stop calling those too. So what the WR doesn't cover the end, where's the advantage?

All good points, especially your last one about the illegal formations. I watch the refs call those and think... how is that an advantage to the offence?

1 minute ago, BillsIsrael said:

Refs on the field make errors and it evens out, but when the major calls are being decided by the same people in NY (or wherever) and the calls always fall in one direction - it makes you wonder...

It doesn't even out, that's just a cliche, not a fact.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I was probably the 5000000000th person to comment this, but Patriots fans being Patriots fans, didn't take it to well. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

there have always, always, been bad calls. Google Renfro catch Oilers, think of the Steelers Super Bowl win against the Seahawks and the phantom holding. No one wants to hear it, but maybe the Comeback game does not turn out the way it does if Beebe is correctly called out of bounds and ineligible instead of catching a TD.

Only thing that sucks now is replay..just go with refs call on the field..let me friggen celebrate a TD ..cant remember the last time watching on TV that I celebrated a TD as it happened.

And no team has benefitted more from replay than the Pats..reason alone to get rid of it.

Really??  Which Bills TDs did you not immediately celebrate Sunday?

Most TD's are pretty obvious and the review lasts about one viewing, I would bet. 

Plenty to celebrate. 

5 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

Refs on the field make errors and it evens out, but when the major calls are being decided by the same people in NY (or wherever) and the calls always fall in one direction - it makes you wonder...

Bills/Steelers playoff game, I think the one Bruce missed out sick.  Joe Gibbs was a studio guy and went nuts about calls evening out. This was before replay and the Steelers scored twice on plays that should not have counted. Gibbs went on a rant... I can't stand when people say calls even out, how will this even out for Buffalo, they will be out of the playoffs because of this..... or something to that effect.

Edited by klos63
x

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Bills/Steelers playoff game, I think the one Bruce missed out sick.  Joe Gibbs was a studio guy and went nuts about calls evening out. This was before replay and the Steelers scored twice on plays that should not have counted. Gibbs went on a rant... I can't stand when people say calls even out, how will this even out for Buffalo, they will be out of the playoffs because of this..... or something to that effect.

Calls don't even out! Doesn't even make sense. Does everyone have the same number of penalties at the end of the season? after 3yrs? after 10? It is illogical.