If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Outside perspective, but shouldn't that all be based off of WHO you can get for a QB? I mean what if Cousins is willing to go to Buffalo? He is a HUGE upgrade at QB and you can then spend your draft capital on WR and D line. If that happened and I was GM I bundle my 2 first round picks and move up to get one of the top pass rushers and then use my second round pick on a WR. 

Based on a number of JAG's Buffalo chose not to bring in, many have outplayed the running QB here. 

I wish they would have cut bait on TT, that way we'd all be accepting of a crappy season.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So Cousins obviously they'd look at long term.

With Smith, would they still be looking to move up?  Or just see who drops to them?

I think you would get more longevity with Cousins and Smith would just be another bridge QB. 

I think TT is gone at the end of this year, but if they do keep him. it'll be as a veteran to support the rookie that they draft in the first round. Tyrod may start next year if they think the rookie isn't ready, or he may be "Plan B" - like Kurt Warner was for the Giants in Eli's first year.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We are definitely drafting a QB. But that doesn't mean Tyrod is gone just yet. A lot depends on what kind of run on QBs happens in the draft. We'll move up but we aren't mortgaging the farm either. We have too many other holes to fill.

I understand your viewpoint. However, I respectfully and strenuously disagree with it. It is a mind-set that has crippled this organization. I would definitely be for selling almost all the draft assets to get a top tier qb prospect. The models to follow are the Rams and the Eagles. A couple of years ago they each sold the company store to get their respective qbs in Goff and Wentz. LA in the following year was aggressive in free agency to dramatically upgrade the roster through free agency and trades with the acquisition of Woods, Watkins, Whitworth and Sullivan. With all the side deals in the following year the most important reason for each teams leap forward is getting their qb in the draft the prior year with an all effort to get in the position to make the transaction happen. 

The model not to follow is Cleveland. They dealt away golden opportunities to get a qb in the draft in order to accumulate picks to bolster the roster in general. It hasn't worked because they didn't adequately address the qb issue. The lesson to be drawn is that the qb position is the priority. Until that position is secured you are getting nowhere. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

In FA they'll make their best possible sell to Cousins, then Smith. If they settle for anyone else they will need to try to trade up and acquire a young guy that they like.

I am not sold on Smith, he is good but he is a stop gap for a young QB you draft IMO.  He is closer to the end of his career.

If Tyrod stays in 2018 I expect this staff gone in 2019. Groundhogs day continues at OBD. Failed building a bridge around backup talent at QB over and over again so this staff should follow the same failed path? Wash/repeat new staff. SMH

Start a truly new era by drafting a top QB, stop with the backup QB bridges that have no exit but continued misses at the playoffs with coaching staff turnovers. NE will once again expose Tyrod.

Maybe someday we will have a QB teams are worried about being a QB.

It all starts with a staff smart enough to know it all starts with the right QB to build around. Bridges do nothing but waste time and add to the false hope.

Edited by xRUSHx

I would love to keep him, and draft a QB to build around. But he's too good to keep as a stop-gap and backup. He'll get too much demand. He has so many skills and qualities. But he's clearly – clearly – not a deep playoff caliber thrower when the game is on the line and you need him to front your team. Not a knock, just a well documented observation from watching him for three years. Not sure how any fan could think Taylor would win a championship, let alone a Superbowl, without an elite D and a perfect offensive game plan. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is what happened last season.  He played a couple of decent games at the end of the year and everyone was on the Tyrod train.  "Draft defense and he will get us into the playoffs", "the light has come on", "he isn't the problem".  

The truth us Tyrod is still what he was year one.  His season by season performances actually deviate very little.  He will have spells where he plays good football (he particularly seems to enjoy playing the Dolphins for some reason) and games where he really struggles to move the offense.  And when you strip the context and the other factors away that is still the truth you are left with.  He is a serviceable, capable NFL starting Quarterback.  What he isn't is a guy who will ever give you a chance to be a contender.  Could he have that one year where it all clicks with a good supporting cast - "the Keenum effect" - yes he could.  But you have to play the percentages and drafting around him to hope for the lightening in a bottle type season is not a sensible approach. Even despite the difficulty in finding a true franchise QB the odds of that are greater than the lightening in a bottle.  

Tyrod was not THE problem in 2015 or 2016..... he hasn't been THE problem in 2017 either.  But his play does not raise the level of those around him and when that is what you are saying about your Quarterback it is A problem.  

I have no problem at all with keeping Tyrod for the final year of his deal in 2018 as the bridge / backup to your rookie Quarterback.  I don't think either side has much of an appetite for that to happen though. Tyrod probably feels like he has played well enough to have the opportunity to start for a different team in 2018 who don't see him as a sitting duck.... but the teams rumoured to be interested last summer were the teams we all knew were going to be bad - Cleveland, Chicago, Denver, New York Jets..... I suspect the market for him looks similar this offseason too.  That might still be preferable to Tyrod than being here as the sitting duck for a staff, fanbase and organisation that doesn't truly believe in him in 2018.  

This is the nail on the head.  

Even in his best games, he has questionable decisions and luck going his way.  What if the Miami defender intercepted that pass that couldn't have been more in his hands at the line of scrimmage and went for a TD?  His second half was a yawner and yet it is one of his best performances of the year...that's pretty sad.  

Like you stated, he's simply a a bridge QB and I don't think he'll be here next season even if we don't find the rookie QB we are looking for.  

29 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I think TT is gone at the end of this year, but if they do keep him. it'll be as a veteran to support the rookie that they draft in the first round. Tyrod may start next year if they think the rookie isn't ready, or he may be "Plan B" - like Kurt Warner was for the Giants in Eli's first year.

......who do you think makes the final call as to whether he stays or goes?.....McD?.....Beane?.......HEAVY influence from Dennison?.......

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......who do you think makes the final call as to whether he stays or goes?.....McD?.....Beane?.......HEAVY influence from Dennison?.......

I'm hoping the HC, GM, and OC will reach a consensus - perhaps a different OC, since McD's first choice in OC is now available.

Regardless of what we fans think, this front office is absolutely dead set on using those draft picks to move up and select a blue chipper.

It would be cool if we didn't have to, but it's all about the QB. Hopefully they won't have to mortgage everything to get the guy they want, but that's why they collected all those picks.

HELL No.  All that will do is ensure we finish 7-9 to 9-7 every year.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Outside perspective, but shouldn't that all be based off of WHO you can get for a QB? I mean what if Cousins is willing to go to Buffalo? He is a HUGE upgrade at QB and you can then spend your draft capital on WR and D line. If that happened and I was GM I bundle my 2 first round picks and move up to get one of the top pass rushers and then use my second round pick on a WR. 

You don't pay franchise money for a non-franchise player, IMHO...he would also ensure we finish between 7-9 and 9-7 every year, albeit while putting up "stats"

Edited by matter2003