Draft a QB or pay for one?

Ramza86

Pay a QB or draft a QB?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which route do you take?

• Pay premium dollar for an FA QB and keep the picks
    • Use those picks and potentially trade up for a top prospect QB?

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the Jimmy thing is just crazy conspiracy theory.  Outside of that, don't really disagree with anything you said.  Elway is just not a patient guy and he understands his window is close to closing.  With how competitive he is, I think he is going to stick with trying to win now, but thats strictly just my opinion of course.  

Giants situation is completely dependent on who they hire of course.  If they feel they can win early with Eli and their guys back, they may elect to prioritize the OL (which would be good for any future young QB anyway) or the run game and maybe grab a young QB in the 2nd to 4th rounds to try and groom for the future.  I do think they take a prospect at QB, but we won't know where until they new staff is hired and hear their near term plans.

But again, pretty much agree with you on most accounts, especially since there are no sure things.  I do think the Niners are 100% out of the QB market though despite what crazy rumors there are.  Jimmys short resume looks good in NE and SF so far.

...has to be crazy......although it remains to be seen, I think he has a better upside than Cousins.....never was much of a Cousins fan and certainly not at $24 mil, but then again we're talking about Danny Boy Snyder and his gang......crazy money is out there......a/k/a Glennon at 15 mil riding the pine.......Cousins could get tagged again for 34 mil which would redefine absurd....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I'd like the Bills to get their QB this year. Trade one of their first and next years first to do it but don't trade both this year. Still gives you your QB plus your another first, second and thirds to still address needs this year. QB, LB, WR and DT with your first four picks. RB in later round. Address other needs in FA.

I have a question.  For the sake of this exercise lets assume we pick 3rd overall.  If you are scouting QBs but you know you are 3rd, the 2 teams ahead of you are picking QBs and you are therefore targeting what may be the 3rd 'best."  You get the guy you were targeting, did you still "get your guy?"  Even though you may have ideally preferred one of the other two already taken?

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...has to be crazy......although it remains to be seen, I think he has a better upside than Cousins.....never was much of a Cousins fan and certainly not at $24 mil, but then again we're talking about Danny Boy Snyder and his gang......crazy money is out there......a/k/a Glennon at 15 mil riding the pine.......Cousins could get tagged again for 34 mil which would redefine absurd....

Yeah I just don't see cousins as worth what he will get.  He is a quality starting QB, but the money he might land is way above his value IMO.  

I actually think Jimmy G has the potential to be a very good QB in this league, he certainly looks the part in the few opportunities he has shown.  I am always skeptical when I see NE part with him given Brady's age, but no denying the guy has impressed as a starter given his light resume so far.  I hope trading him really comes back to bite NE in the backside.

2 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Love Mayfield if he falls to us, or possibly Lamar Jackson.  While Cousins will probably command the highest contract ever, I think he'll be a perennial top 5 QB and probably worth the price.  Doubt we can afford it, though.

Pass on Jackson, seen enough of him through Taylor over the years. We need a true passer and while I wouldn't be against bringing in Cousins, the Bills FO need to really hit on all their picks in the first 3 rounds to build around Cousins. The one thing that scares me is how the coaching staff seems to favor Ducasse, I just hope they don't favor him enough to leave him at RG next year

Edited by buffalo2218

11 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Pass on Jackson, seen enough of him through Taylor over the years. We need a true passer and while I wouldn't be against bringing in Cousins, the Bills FO need to really hit on all their picks in the first 3 rounds to build around Cousins. The one thing that scares me is how the coaching staff seems to favor Ducasse, I just hope they don't favor him enough to leave him at RG next year

I've seen more than enough of Tolbert, too!

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

I want us to draft a QB at #1. I wake up in the middle of the night from a nightmare where we trade a #1 for Case Keenum

He's a FA in 2018, so don't lose any more sleep over that.

13 hours ago, Eastcoastlegacy said:

I have a question.  For the sake of this exercise lets assume we pick 3rd overall.  If you are scouting QBs but you know you are 3rd, the 2 teams ahead of you are picking QBs and you are therefore targeting what may be the 3rd 'best."  You get the guy you were targeting, did you still "get your guy?"  Even though you may have ideally preferred one of the other two already taken?

Yes you got your guy. The only team that has a different mind set is the one that picks first in Round One. After that pretty much all of the other picks for every team become increasingly consolations with each player coming off the board.  Nothing to be ashamed or scared of. The Bills will be in a great position to take a QB in 2018 and there are no locks in the coming draft class. They're is about as much chance of getting a guy with the third one off the board as there is with one and two this year....IMHO

22 hours ago, P51 said:

Personally, if we could land Cousins, I'd sign him and keep the picks especially if both Buffalo and Kansas City end up with picks in the lower half of the 1st round.  The cost of moving up would be steep and personally I would rather have a QB (I consider Cousins a franchise QB watching him here in VA all the time) and 4 (4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds) more players.

Given Buffalo's current picks, they could package their 2 -1sts and 2 2nds to move up (using the trade value chart) to the 3rd pick w/SF, and their would likely be 2 QB's off the board already, so they would be getting their 3rd choice likely...

IMO: Cousins + 4 picks in the top 64 > 3rd Choice of QB in draft. 

or 

Cousins + 4 picks in the top 64 > 4/5/6th QB choice at 18 and 3 more picks in the top 64 or any other combination or moving up and losing picks.

However, I dont see us landing Cousins so.... 

This is what makes the most sense but it's not going to happen because I don't see the Bills landing Cousins either.  I am adamantly opposed to trading up for any QB except the consensus #1 pick in the draft.  They succeed about 80% of the time, after that the success rate drops like a rock: 50% for QBs in the top half of the first round.  Trading up for the 3rd best QB prospect ... supposing there even is one ... is a waste of resources.  If 2 QBs are already off the board, stay put and see who's available at your spot ... or take a flier on a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Somebody like Mayfield who's undersized but who would otherwise likely be a first round prospect would be a good choice if he fell in the first round or into the second.  Lack of size can be compensated for (Brees, Wilson, and Cousins have all proven that) but you can't compensate for a lack of the instinct/processing ability/"it" factor that separates guys like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc from guys like Sanchez, Ponder, Gabbert, Osweiler, etc.

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

I want us to draft a QB at #1. I wake up in the middle of the night from a nightmare where we trade a #1 for Case Keenum

How'd that work out in 2013?  It's not ANY QB but the RIGHT QB that they have to draft.  If there's nobody worth taking, take another position and see what's up in the 2nd round.  It's a lot easier to send a 2nd round bust packing than a 1st round one.

SoTier, I disagree. The Bills have let numerous first round picks go. The changes in the rookie salary cap have made it less painful and embarrassing. If the Bills personnel department executes the draft correctly they should know whether the third or fourth QB will be there in mid round one or round two. IMHO it makes little difference when you pick him this year. They've got a stockpile of picks to use.