How do we pull the impossible and beat the Pats?

Steptide

Is this game house money?  In other words is it just a no win scenario, so do whatever?

If so, then I think that it is actually liberating.  I mean you can either do what you have always done and game plan the way you always do (and lose, may be close) or you can go for broke, take chances and gamble on offense (and lose spectacularly).

I just really don't think this is one of those games where it will be "would have, could have, should have" afterwards.

Me?   I think I'd go for it.  I think I would try and light it up in the first half.  I would have Tyrod moving all over the place.  If I am going to take a chance against the Patriots, I am going to do it against their defense and not worry myself on how I beat Brady.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Is this game house money?  In other words is it just a no win scenario, so do whatever?

If so, then I think that it is actually liberating.  I mean you can either do what you have always done and game plan the way you always do (and lose, may be close) or you can go for broke, take chances and gamble on offense (and lose spectacularly).

I just really don't think this is one of those games where it will be "would have, could have, should have" afterwards.

Me?   I think I'd go for it.  I think I would try and light it up in the first half.  I would have Tyrod moving all over the place.  If I am going to take a chance against the Patriots, I am going to do it against their defense and not worry myself on how I beat Brady.

I would do the exact opposite. Go in with the same vanilla game plan and pray for a miracle. Keep all your good stuff for the next two games.

36 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Let's play a little game. You're the coach and you come up with the game plan. What do you do? 

Here's what I'd do. On defense, I would blitz every single snap for the first 4 or 5 drives. While blitzing doesn't slow Brady down (usually), I think if you were to Blitz him on every down this would eventually throw off his game. If the blitzing continues to work, stick with it. If not, do a 3 man rush and drop everyone else in coverage.

On offense, I would game plan to throw dump off passes for 5 yards all game long. Create short gains that wear down the clock and make long extended drives for the bills. If we score, onside kick on every kick off. Yes, every kick off. That sounds ridiculous, but at some point you're going to baffle the Pats and throw them off. 

I cannot see any scenario where we win this game playing the way the bills have played in these 12 weeks. I know that none of what I mentioned will happen. I'm just a fan that has watched the Patriots obliterate the bills the last 17 years 

Well, we definitely can't run and gun with the Patriots. They got too many guns. They absolutely MUST put the hits on Brady to get him off his game.

Very hard task ahead.  If I'm coaching I would try to get as much pressure on Brady as possible.  If blitzing is needed then I would blitz, damn the statistics.  If you give Brady time, he will assuredly pick us apart all day long with their dinky pick plays and his accurate passes.  To me, pressure is the key and if I recall correctly, we won a game once and the key was pressure from the get go.  

Don't have much to say for the offense as they are what they are.  Expect one TD or two if we get lucky and a couple of field goals plus whatever the defense can provide via good field position or turnovers.

In the end, Brady will prove to be too much, their supporting cast will shine and beat us 35- 13.  It will be over at the half.  Hope I'm wrong

New England is tied for dead-last in rushing defense (4.9 yards per attempt).

The Bills need to attack them on the ground relentlessly.  If we can't gain yardage in the run game this week, Rick Dennison should be fired on Monday.

Once we start moving on the ground, use play action to push the ball downfield.  The coaching staff needs to have the mentality of scoring 25+.  Just avoiding turnovers will not suffice this week.

On defense, the strategy is always the same against Tom Brady (but difficult to actually accomplish). 

Get pressure with a 4-man rush, especially in his face.  Since our DTs are struggling with Marcel Dareus, I would recommend a lot of stunts and moving around to cause confusion.  On the back-end, you have to mix up coverage packages.  Don't let Brady know what is coming before the snap.  Don't cover Rob Gronkowski with a single linebacker.  Be prepared for the short stuff (slot receivers and running backs), and don't miss tackles.

In my opinion, the offense could put up some points this week.  But the defense matches up poorly.

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I would do the exact opposite. Go in with the same vanilla game plan and pray for a miracle. Keep all your good stuff for the next two games.

plenzmd1, honestly, I hear you and that was part of my point.  I just can't make a big counter argument to what you suggested above.  Now, if this were the Ravens we were playing, maybe things are different and my strategy would change.  However, it is the Pats and I think both strategies have merit and whatever the coaches end up doing with the game plan, I can't envision  complaining about it afterwards...I mean jeepers it's the Pats and Brady.  Therein lies the beauty and ease in going into a game against a guy you are 2-26 against.

Where we are on the exact same page?  Praying for miracles.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Squat on the short stuff and make Brady beat you deep. Bring only 4-5 on obvious passing downs. Single LB blitz in a double A gap look, with Milano dropping in the middle and shading towards the slant. LorAx at DE for Shaq every second and third down. 

Your only hope is him and Cooks/Gronk don't hit on the long stuff. They will try once per Q, and sometimes they're just off. Better hoping they're off and taking away the dink and dunk than giving them the 5-10 yard stuff and letting them pick you apart.

I think the key is disruption of their quick passes and tackling.   If the DB's and LB's can jam at the line and cause hesitation in the throw then maybe a chance.   If they get the throw off they have to tackle them immediately.   Force them into situations where they need more than that stupid quick slant stuff (3rd and long) and they may have a shot at getting to Brady.   Rush 3, jam, and tackle.   They need to take the opening kickoff and score.   If they defer and give up a TD on the first drive it's almost like playing from FAR behind and there will be panic.  Try and get the lead and play tied for as long as they can.   Force a turnover, don't do any gimmick or trick plays that put you behind the sticks, and make sure to secure the ball on special teams and on offense.   Go for it on 4th down of less than 3 yards in decent field position.   Try and keep Brady off the field.   Basically play the game of their lives and leave it all on the field.   It's a long shot but there is a reason they actually make them all suit up and play these games....you never know.  

I hate the Patriots. I wouldn't hate them as much if they were not always top in the division. I wouldn't hate them as much if they were not always a lock to win games and win Superbowls. I could respect what they have done but I'm a Bills fan so I can't.

I don't think we can beat them now. Beating the Patriots every year has to be a focus. When we are competitive with the Patriots for the division every year then you know we finally have a playoff caliber team. 

You want playoffs you have to beat the Patriots. It should be on wristbands worn all year long.

Considering the odds:

I'd run no-huddle the entire game and give Taylor the green light to audible!

CBs play man full time.  

I'd blitz two guys, alternating, everyone else in coverage, essentially a 2-4-5 defense.  Two linemen with hands in the dirt, two standing.  

(Do any of you recall the game years ago where the Bills  did that for a half?)