How do we pull the impossible and beat the Pats?

Steptide

I say the same thing every year.  You have to play the Patriot receivers, all of them, really tight at the line of scrimmage, and be physical with them.  The Patriots run a timing offense with quick releases from Tommie Boy so that he doesn't get hit.  And, with the exception of Gronk, the Patriots are not known for having big, physical WRs.

Unfortunately the 2017 Bills play mostly zone, in an effort to keep the ball in front of them.  That, unfortunately, is a recipe for disaster against the Patriots!  Death by a thousand cuts.  This is going to be ugly.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I say the same thing every year.  You have to play the Patriot receivers, all of them, really tight at the line of scrimmage, and be physical with them.  The Patriots run a timing offense with quick releases from Tommie Boy so that he doesn't get hit.  And, with the exception of Gronk, the Patriots are not known for having big, physical WRs.

Unfortunately the 2017 Bills play mostly zone, in an effort to keep the ball in front of them.  That, unfortunately, is a recipe for disaster against the Patriots!  Death by a thousand cuts.  This is going to be ugly.

Good point, this is also part of the formula . Somehow I think the Bills Defensive staff will take a " we do what we do" approach to this game. And subsequently get demolished. 

I keep reading that we need to hit Brady over and over again..well, most would agree that this year, he's getting hit way more than previous years...yet, he still is dominating....I don't think we have the players to challenge them...and, as someone else said earlier...we could do everything right and still get our clocks cleaned....they are simply a far better team right now....any given Sunday is all I have....

Edited by Iron Maiden

8 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Actually, Jeff Gillooly. . . 

Actually, Joe Theisman . . .

Jeff Gillooly did that to Theisman...I always thought it was LT.  

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Lot of people are saying blitz, but another thread today indicates that Brady has thrown 70 TD's vs. 0 picks when at least rushers come at him.  Blitzing the guy has never worked and won't work Sunday.  HE can tell exactly what you're going to do when he sets up, and knows exactly where to go with the ball before the snap.  You blitz him you're pretty much saying you want to lose the game.

The only teams to have success against him, like the Super Bowl Giants, were able to get pressure from their base front four, especially up the middle.  I'd be throwing a lot of D line stunts his way to try and free guys up on the rush. 

Offensively I believe they are ranked pretty low in rush defense.  Dennison needs to do what they did coming out of the bye week; go back to man blocking schemes that worked well for this O line, give Shady a better chance to make yards, and let TT run the ball more.  Try to control the clock and keep the ball out of Brady's hands. 

For us to have any chance, each line has to play their absolute best.  Odds are low, but odds are low any week for whomever goes up against Brady.  Just the way it is right now.  The guy is that good.

Yep - The Giants formula from the SB's is the lasting formula.  Get pressure with 4, cover with 7.  That fits McD's MO., too  The question is about the pressure.  Can we produce pressure with 4?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dulles said:

Jeff Gillooly did that to Theisman...I always thought it was LT.  

Yep - The Giants formula from the SB's is the lasting formula.  Get pressure with 4, cover with 7.  That fits McD's MO., too  The question is about the pressure.  Can we produce pressure with 4?

I seriously doubt it.  Hope so but like it or not Brady and Belichick work on a plane above the other teams in the league.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I seriously doubt it.  Hope so but like it or not Brady and Belichick work on a plane above the other teams in the league.

I've been watching for almost 30 years.  I can hardly imagine a matchup of division rivals which has been so lopsided.  I wasn't around to go 0 for the 70''s vs. the Dolphins.  Perhaps the Falcons vs. '9ers back in the 80's and 90's?  This is just historically terrible.  Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, dulles said:

I've been watching for almost 30 years.  I can hardly imagine a matchup of division rivals which has been so lopsided.  I wasn't around to go 0 for the 70''s vs. the Dolphins.  Perhaps the Falcons vs. '9ers back in the 80's and 90's?  This is just historically terrible.  Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised on Sunday.

I lived through the 70's with the Fish.  One of my greatest Bills moments was helping carry the goal post to Ralph's box opening day 198.

Take all of the stops off of Tyrod as a runner. Do everything you can to be a good run blocking team for Tyrod and Shady this week. Throwing doesn’t matter, the Pats are ok at stopping the pass. Run at Gilmore each play, etc.

Then just let the defense play fast, don’t overscheme. Brady will get his yards, but if we can stop the run and tackle well we will have a fighting chance. But the cheats will probably win

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I lived through the 70's with the Fish.  One of my greatest Bills moments was helping carry the goal post to Ralph's box opening day 198.

Super Bowl 17 is my first NFL memory.  Soon after, I realized that my grandfather - life long resident of East Aurora - was a Bills fan.  He would tell me all sorts of stories about the early years.  Of course, with the success they enjoyed in the following seasons, I was hooked in a hurry.  I got my dad to root for them and now my sons all root for them too.  We cannot wait to break free of the Patriot stranglehold.  Even my wife is an avid fan.  It'll be a day to celebrate in our house for sure!  

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Lot of people are saying blitz, but another thread today indicates that Brady has thrown 70 TD's vs. 0 picks when at least rushers come at him.  Blitzing the guy has never worked and won't work Sunday.  HE can tell exactly what you're going to do when he sets up, and knows exactly where to go with the ball before the snap.  You blitz him you're pretty much saying you want to lose the game.

The only teams to have success against him, like the Super Bowl Giants, were able to get pressure from their base front four, especially up the middle.  I'd be throwing a lot of D line stunts his way to try and free guys up on the rush. 

Offensively I believe they are ranked pretty low in rush defense.  Dennison needs to do what they did coming out of the bye week; go back to man blocking schemes that worked well for this O line, give Shady a better chance to make yards, and let TT run the ball more.  Try to control the clock and keep the ball out of Brady's hands. 

For us to have any chance, each line has to play their absolute best.  Odds are low, but odds are low any week for whomever goes up against Brady.  Just the way it is right now.  The guy is that good.

The Bills can't pressure anyone with this front four.  

Bench Preston Brown

Blitz up the middle relentlessly

Bills have the corners and safeties to maintain coverage long enough for the rush to get there. 

Brady will pick apart McD zone defense. The Pats offense is based on Brady hitting guys in stride.  Brady destroys zone coverage because he finds guys that are moving while the defenders are reacting.

13 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I think the most effective way of slowing down Brady (not stopping him) is to bring pressure only with your front 4 and leave the rest in coverage. If you blitz, you die. 

We wont be able to bring pressure with 4. I know it. You know it. Brady knows it. And im not blitzing. I rush 3 and put rest in coverage and start praying that there is a fumble and an INT somewhere. 

And then our offense needs to score 30. 

this equals forfeit...same game plan for last 15 yrs.