Official Schopp and Bulldog Thread

Ol Dirty B

Just throwing an idea out there since they seem to get a lot of mentions and I think it could be amusing. I lurk on a Jets board and they have or had a Mike Francesa that was pretty amusing. I just think it could be decent material be it laughing at them, agreeing or disagreeing with them.

What prompted this is I'm listening to your 1 on demand and Bulldog just said he can't stand Gumbel because he sounds sloppy, trips up over words and stutters. How does Bulldog feel like he can criticize him for that when he's constantly messing up names, results, is always stammering. It's a god damn joke. Seriously if I could record him and change his voice I'd love to play it back for him.

Or watch him try to call a game, that would be ugly.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Just throwing an idea out there since they seem to get a lot of mentions and I think it could be amusing. I lurk on a Jets board and they have or had a Mike Francesa that was pretty amusing. I just think it could be decent material be it laughing at them, agreeing or disagreeing with them.

What prompted this is I'm listening to your 1 on demand and Bulldog just said he can't stand Gumbel because he sounds sloppy, trips up over words and stutters. How does Bulldog feel like he can criticize him for that when he's constantly messing up names, results, is always stammering. It's a god damn joke. Seriously if I could record him and change his voice I'd love to play it back for him.

Or watch him try to call a game, that would be ugly.

S&B built a career doing a sports talk show nearly devoid of actual sports talk.

• Like (+1) 1

I've commented on this before, but it is getting to the point where it is really hard for me to listen to Bulldog.

He stammers, hesitates, and generally misspeaks constantly as part of his general speech pattern.  If you start focusing on it, it's all you can hear and you can't un-hear it.  It's really distracting.  

That's kind of funny, as he is paid to speak for a living in a purely audio medium.

The other weird habit of his is to deliver a particularly long passage, and forget to breathe while speaking, such that he is literally out of breath by the end of his sentence and struggling to speak b/c he doesn't have enough air left in his lungs to produce words at normal volume without fluttering.

That one is really annoying too, as it cause me to feel out of breath myself!  

:lol:

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I've commented on this before, but it is getting to the point where it is really hard for me to listen to Bulldog.

He stammers, hesitates, and generally misspeaks constantly as part of his general speech pattern.  If you start focusing on it, it's all you can hear and you can't un-hear it.  It's really distracting.  

That's kind of funny, as he is paid to speak for a living in a purely audio medium.

The other weird habit of his is to deliver a particularly long passage, and forget to breathe while speaking, such that he is literally out of breath by the end of his sentence and struggling to speak b/c he doesn't have enough air left in his lungs to produce words at normal volume with fluttering.

Which is why I almost spit out my drink just now when I listened to him go on about how he can't stand Gumbel and called him sloppy.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Cookie drafts.

Have you ever read the description of their show on the wgr website. I can just imagine Schopp reading it with his hand on hip and some "sas" 

"Schopp keeps the callers in line while dishing out his unique perspective and opinions, and creating on-air fantasy drafts of anything from favorite candy and meats, to actors, presidents and bands."

Edited by Ol Dirty B

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Which is why I almost spit out my drink just now when I listened to him go on about how he can't stand Gumbel and called him sloppy.

Have you ever read the description of their show on the wgr website. I can just imagine Schopp reading it with his hand on hip and some "sas" 

"Schopp keeps the callers in line while dishing out his unique perspective and opinions, and creating on-air fantasy drafts of anything from favorite candy and meats, to actors, presidents and bands."

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The other weird habit of his is to deliver a particularly long passage, and forget to breathe while speaking, such that he is literally out of breath by the end of his sentence and struggling to speak b/c he doesn't have enough air left in his lungs to produce words at normal volume without fluttering.

That one is really annoying too, as it cause me to feel out of breath myself!  

YES I know exactly what you mean about Bulldog.  I agree with this 100% and I can add, I just don't like the sound of his voice.  There are shows where Schoop is not on and it's unbearable listening to Bulldog.  

Schopp is ok.  Not my favorite but I can tolerate him.  I will say he does bring up some good, intelligent points from time to time.  But he is very snarky and acts like the smartest guy in the room.  He's also rude to callers in a passive aggressive way.  He tends to also cram politics into situations where it doesn't need to be added, like when he supporters others claims that racism had something to do with Tyrod having less of chance.    

Overall Schoop and The Bulldog are just tough to listen to. I prefer Howard and Jeremy any day.

9 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

So many Bills fans have this butthurt hatred for those two, put down the Kool Aid and grow up, or just restrict yourself to just listening to Murph from homerville USA.

I think they make legit points, well I think Schopp does at times. I actually have defended him a few times too on here. Can't stand Murph and he isn't entertaining.

I just think these two are entertaining  in their lack of self awareness at times. It's just a thread, no one is forcing you to participate.

• Like (+1) 1

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market than Buffalo, and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  It has become apparent that the only people who incessantly complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't possess the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really have differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you find here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, metzelaars_lives said:

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  They are the worst.  It has become apparent that the only people who complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't have the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really having differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you fid here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

I live near Boston where they have two competing sports talk FM's. And any show at any time of day is light years better than S&B. The difference is these stations hire people who actually know sports. They are usually paired with former players. So you get knowledgeable conversations and real insight.

But in Buffalo negativity sells. So you end up with shows that just talk about bad stuff, bad stuff in history or how good stuff could have easily been bad stuff. The fact that S&B have time to hold dessert drafts just shows how lacking their sports knowledge is.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I live near Boston where they have two competing sports talk FM's. And any show at any time of day is light years better than S&B. The difference is these stations hire people who actually know sports. They are usually paired with former players. So you get knowledgeable conversations and real insight.

But in Buffalo negativity sells. So you end up with shows that just talk about bad stuff, bad stuff in history or how good stuff could have easily been bad stuff. The fact that S&B have time to hold dessert drafts just shows how lacking their sports knowledge is.

Nah I've heard Fred Smerlas and he was about as unbearable and terrible to listen to as The Bulldog.  He sounds way worse - like he is drowsy and could pass out at any time.   I used to listen to Fred on The Bob Matthews Show in Rochester years ago and between the two of them, it was brutal as all hell.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nah I've heard Fred Smerlas and he was about as unbearable and terrible to listen to as The Bulldog.  He sounds way worse - like he is drowsy and could pass out at any time.   I used to listen to Fred on The Bob Matthews Show in Rochester years ago and between the two of them, it was brutal as all hell.  

Smerlas calling the Bob Matthews show! OUCH!!!
I love how Matthews is the ultimate wet blanket on controversy.  

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In what areas do they lack knowledge?  I realize it's pretty much football and hockey but I think they are both pretty well versed in their understanding of both sports.  And how in God's name could you expect sports talk hosts not to be negative in Buffalo, NY- especially compared to Boston!!

Just now, metzelaars_lives said:

In what areas do they lack knowledge?  I realize it's pretty much football and hockey but I think they are both pretty well versed in their understanding of both sports.  And how in God's name could you expect sports talk hosts not to be negative in Buffalo, NY- especially compared to Boston!!

I've heard this argument before - "if you've never coaches or played professionally who have no right to voice an opinion."  Give me a freaking break.

By the way, one of the most popular sports talk show host is former Patriots QB Scott Zolak who was a low-end backup for the majority of his career.  I guess being a 3rd string QB really qualifies you as a sports talk show host

2 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Well I guess I've been away from WNY too long because 24/7 misery doesn't appeal to me.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The difference is these stations hire people who actually know sports. They are usually paired with former players. So you get knowledgeable conversations and real insight

I really dislike shows like that, same old recycled x's and o's garbage by former players, it's just not interesting to listen to.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market than Buffalo, and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  It has become apparent that the only people who incessantly complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't have the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really having differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you find here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

The relatively high IQ of the show is provided by Mike Schopp and his general approach to the show.  On days when he is off and it's just Bulldog, I usually don't listen. 

It's not just a lack of wit on the part of Bulldog; he is just a nice guy by nature who doesn't enjoy confrontation so he rarely disagreed with Schopp.

Schopp definitely treats some callers poorly, but in his defense many of their callers are complete idiots and in general, that aspect of the show doesn't bother me.

When they try to be funny or dedicate time to non-sports content, like holding the meat draft, I find the show unlistenable.

Neither is funny or clever enough to sustain an entertaining banter when they try to go off topic.

I've listened to this type of talk radio in a bunch of markets; I think it's pretty average for that sort of thing.

Overall I listen b/c it keeps me connected to WNY.

Yes, of course bashing these guys is a routine thing here; I think that was precisely the OP's point...to make it a dedicated thread that keeps expanding over time without having to create new ones from time to time.

6 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

I really dislike shows like that, same old recycled x's and o's garbage by former players, it's just not interesting to listen to.

Not only is an X and O type show not listenable, it appeals to a very small group of people.

Ironically, this is the crux of much criticism thrown at Schopp & Bulldog.

If they actually did that type of a show and had the football IQ to do it, all of the Sabres/hockey people in the audience would be gone, any neutral casual listener would be gone, and even most Bills/football fans would be gone, other than maybe 100 or so people who are so into the topic, they live on a football chat forum 24/7.  

The radio station is not trying to appeal to those 100 individuals.  They are trying to reach a large audience.

31 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Only thing I think Schopp is a little ridiculous about is his statement that the Browns are in a better position than the Bills. I don't get it. 

I can't recall the last time he said something like that; he hasn't really dwelled on the Cleveland Browns in many months.

I'm guessing you don't regularly listen to the show.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Schopp is great radio. The best on that station easily. I feel as though the people that don't like him are the kinds of people that would actually call in to a radio show instead of just listening. 

You people think you have it bad? Try listening to the cavalcade of meatheads up here in Toronto. 

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well I guess I've been away from WNY too long because 24/7 misery doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah, you're right.  They should be super pumped when they talk about the Sabres.  And the Bills going into last week, coming off maybe the worst three game stretch in Bills history.  Dude, being a Buffalo sports fan is harrowing.  And they're not even that negative- certainly not compared to, say, Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan.

22 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Yeah, you're right.  They should be super pumped when they talk about the Sabres.  And the Bills going into last week, coming off maybe the worst three game stretch in Bills history.  Dude, being a Buffalo sports fan is harrowing.  And they're not even that negative- certainly not compared to, say, Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan.

You're pretty much proving my point. Being a Buffalo fan is being in a constant state of anger and fear. Even when things are going well, we can't stop bringing up past failures. We can't enjoy anything.

3 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market than Buffalo, and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  It has become apparent that the only people who incessantly complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't possess the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really have differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you find here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

You wrote an awful lot there for a played out topic. I didn't say it had to be negative, they just seem to get a lot of play here so I thought it was a fair thread.

They aren't great. They're average. I used to listen to Miami's drive time guys because they are actually entertaining. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

This place is incredibly negative, too. But it's also enormously funny and entertaining most of the time. Sometimes the snarkiness is the best part. Maybe I am bias because I like that kind of stuff but they aren't fun. This place is both infuriating and irreverent fun. They don't have or make it fun. Sully and Bucky don't seem to have fun. 

The reason there are fights in the NHL is because Canadians love to brawl each other and then laugh and buy each other a beer. 

That's us. And kudos to Scott for allowing it if not molding it that way. We can B word and then have a few laughs. They don't. 

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The relatively high IQ of the show is provided by Mike Schopp and his general approach to the show.  On days when he is off and it's just Bulldog, I usually don't listen. 

It's not just a lack of wit on the part of Bulldog; he is just a nice guy by nature who doesn't enjoy confrontation so he rarely disagreed with Schopp.

Schopp definitely treats some callers poorly, but in his defense many of their callers are complete idiots and in general, that aspect of the show doesn't bother me.

When they try to be funny or dedicate time to non-sports content, like holding the meat draft, I find the show unlistenable.

Neither is funny or clever enough to sustain an entertaining banter when they try to go off topic.

I've listened to this type of talk radio in a bunch of markets; I think it's pretty average for that sort of thing.

Yes, of course bashing these guys is a routine thing here; I think that was precisely the OP's point...to make it a dedicated thread that keeps expanding over time without having to create new ones 

This exactly why I did it. I find some of what they do good, some of what they do bad, but they do create conversation. 

I personally enjoy reading both the negatives and positives from their show. Especially when it is legit and not just calling them dope and Bulldog.

And if you're tired of hearing about them, doesn't this just make a thread for all of that so you can completely ignore it. Or at least more easily.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes, of course bashing these guys is a routine thing here; I think that was precisely the OP's point...to make it a dedicated thread that keeps expanding over time without having to create new ones from time to time.

Not only is an X and O type show not listenable, it appeals to a very small group of people.

Ironically, this is the crux of much criticism thrown at Schopp & Bulldog.

If they actually did that type of a show and had the football IQ to do it, all of the Sabres/hockey people in the audience would be gone, any neutral casual listener would be gone, and even most Bills/football fans would be gone, other than maybe 100 or so people who are so into the topic, they live on a football chat forum 24/7.  

The radio station is not trying to appeal to those 100 individuals.  They are trying to reach a large audience.

I can't recall the last time he said something like that; he hasn't really dwelled on the Cleveland Browns in many months.

I'm guessing you don't regularly listen to the show.

Actually, Sal brought it up today that Schopp and he discuss it off the air sometimes still.. #themoreyouknow

Edited by Captain Murica

I'm worried about their immune systems.  They're both out about 30 days a year.  (Somehow, they never get sick on the same day, though)............Bulldog was out sick for the post game Sunday. 

It's got to be tough with their 6 or more weeks or vacation, and having to work 4 hours a day. 

• Like (+1) 1

i like schopp and the bulldog quite a bit. my opinions often differ from on or both, but i can see where they are coming from. mike always wants an interesting topic so they can get a conversation going, and bulldog seems to be a guy that wears his sports heart on his sleeve. i love the non sports antics and especially the drafts.