SI.com: The Baffling Breakup between Tyrod Taylor and the Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The amount of QB's that have proven they can get middling rosters within striking distance of a SB consistently......Brady, Peyton, Rodgers and maybe Big Ben...........looks a lot like the amount of teams that have won SB's on the back of incredible defense during that period......Baltimore, Tampa, Seattle, Denver.

The reason to get a great QB is to be in contention for a decade and a half and win multiple SB's along the way.

That's a great aspiration but not where the Bills NEED to be...........they NEED to win one.........the shortest distance there right now is to build a great defense.......it's easier and faster....defenses can be turned upside down in one offseason......... and it also doesn't necessarily work against the long term goal.    

I'd add Brees to that list - he's gotten the Saints within sniffing distance 3-4 times and probably will again this year. He lost a heartbreaker in SF in 2011, and I think that team would have beaten the Giants in the NFC championship game. Disagree about Russell Wilson, btw -- his production is actually incredible both in its quality and consistency. His 2014 and 2015 seasons were great (859 yards rushing in 2014!), but he's good every year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm .

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd add Brees to that list - he's gotten the Saints within sniffing distance 3-4 times and probably will again this year. He lost a heartbreaker in SF in 2011, and I think that team would have beaten the Giants in the NFC championship game. Disagree about Russell Wilson, btw -- his production is actually incredible both in its quality and consistency. His 2014 and 2015 seasons were great (859 yards rushing in 2014!), but he's good every year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm .

Wilson is working his way into that list.....body of work too small.

Brees doesn't belong.

He's a great, HOF level player but I've seen him pass himself into more trouble than anyone on that list and that's hurt them at times..........7-9 for three straight years is an automatic exclusion from being an "automatic contender" at QB.   More passer than QB.

Big Ben I have to grudgingly put in there because he hasn't really proven inconsistent enough to exclude but I am pretty certain he couldn't carry a team like Rodgers, Brady or Peyton could.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

So your saying the two were his fault, with the same o-line that has allowed free rushers to come at tyrod about every game.  Not to mention his completion % has never matched tyrods.

I remember the Denver game, every other drop back, Tyrod had his eye on Von Miller running through Mills, and consistently dodged him to buy time for a throw. Peterman's a good ole gunslinging pocket passer, he'd rather just toss the ball up to "throw receivers open" with Joey Bosa coming at him.

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Perennial playoff contender KC about to break up with Alex Smith - bold and applauded.

Perennial bad to average Bills about to break up with Taylor - Idiotic, baffling, and unprecedented. 

KC has the #10 overall pick backing up Alex Smith

Bills have, well.. you know who backing up Taylor

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Did they say the Same thing about KC TRADING up to get better than Alex Smith. 

No its the National Media saying Bulls you should be happy you are AVG

KC also kept Alex Smith and started him while the young kid learned on the bench.  That's kinda what I'm expecting to happen next year.

At the very least, I think we'll pick up Taylor's option to trade him at draft time to trade up and get "our guy."

21 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah he got a win today. The guy is just a zero out there and if the defense and running game wins the game, we win. Otherwise we lose. He won’t usually lose us a game, I’ll give him that...but he’s not winning any either. A fast Trent

Except the defense and the running game didn't show up yesterday... just the defense.

That's generally true for most QBs.  Look at what's happening in Dallas with Dak Prescott.

Taylor might be playing behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL and having his plays called by one of the worst OCs in the NFL and yet, somehow, he's been efficient and doing what he's been asked to do.

It's a little hard to convert 3rd down conversions consistently when your team averages a 8+ yards to go on 3rd down. 

Running game?  What running game?  Without Taylor eluding pass rush that would have otherwise been a sack with any other QB and then passing yesterday, we lose.

It's a team game people.  Taylor's the QB and was a huge contributor to that victory.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The baffling philosophy of McDermott and Dennison.

Get a lead, go into an offensive shell and then punt in hoping your defense can make stops the rest of the game. 

This is seriously infuriating.

I can't stand Dennison.  I'm sick of runs that are going to be stuffed for -2 or -3 yards before they happen because his play calling is so goddamn predictable.  I just went through the play-by-play and our running game produced 11 runs for no gain or negative yardage and 5 more that went for just 1 yard.

57% of our friggin runs by an RB went for 1 yard or less!!!

I don't know what the hell McDermott was thinking on that 2nd to last drive not just trying to put the game away.  You have a QB who won't turn the ball over in that situation so why the hell aren't you going for a first down rather than 3 ridiculously predictable runs?

*Conspiracy theory alert*  I actually kinda think McDermott is MUUUCH more focused on the future than the present.  I don't think he particularly cares about winning right now.  I won't say he actively wants to lose, but at the same time he seems to be doing everything on earth to try to.  I don't know if being a defensive HC makes him focused on defensive development so he's fine giving teams like the Falcons or Chiefs the ball back with an opportunity to drive down for a GWD so he can see how his defense responds.  Maybe Taylor has exceeded his expectations of what he thought he'd be.  Obviously that's not reflected in numbers like passing yards (which I know some people cling needlessly to), but when you consider how Taylor has been somehow overcoming a porous OL and atrocious running game in times he absolutely has to pass, he's been good.  I think Taylor's significantly improved some aspects of his game. 

It's going to be interesting what unfolds the rest of the season and next offseason, to say the least.

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is seriously infuriating.

I can't stand Dennison.  I'm sick of runs that are going to be stuffed for -2 or -3 yards before they happen because his play calling is so goddamn predictable.  I just went through the play-by-play and our running game produced 11 runs for no gain or negative yardage and 5 more that went for just 1 yard.

57% of our friggin runs by an RB went for 1 yard or less!!!

I don't know what the hell McDermott was thinking on that 2nd to last drive not just trying to put the game away.  You have a QB who won't turn the ball over in that situation so why the hell aren't you going for a first down rather than 3 ridiculously predictable runs?

*Conspiracy theory alert*  I actually kinda think McDermott is MUUUCH more focused on the future than the present.  I don't think he particularly cares about winning right now.  I won't say he actively wants to lose, but at the same time he seems to be doing everything on earth to try to.  I don't know if being a defensive HC makes him focused on defensive development so he's fine giving teams like the Falcons or Chiefs the ball back with an opportunity to drive down for a GWD so he can see how his defense responds.  Maybe Taylor has exceeded his expectations of what he thought he'd be.  Obviously that's not reflected in numbers like passing yards (which I know some people cling needlessly to), but when you consider how Taylor has been somehow overcoming a porous OL and atrocious running game in times he absolutely has to pass, he's been good.  I think Taylor's significantly improved some aspects of his game. 

It's going to be interesting what unfolds the rest of the season and next offseason, to say the least.

It's completely infuriating, it's like they were trying to give the game away most of the day and it got worse as the day progressed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  

When your QB has 65 percentish completion rate and isn't turning the ball over... Throw the damn ball.   

Edited by Comebackkid

21 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Well, they will either have to move on from Dennison or from Taylor because Dennison is proving he doesn't know how to call/design an offense with Tyrod at quarterback.

Does anyone think they would rather move on from Dennison than Tyrod?   Whether or not it is the right call, they will move on from Taylor and sink or swim with a different quarterback - likely a drafted one.

Roman/Lynn already provided the blueprint for a running attack with a QB like Taylor and two decent running backs.    If the offensive line was upgraded in pass protection enough and with minor tweaks to the passing game, this could have been a very dominant offense.   They aren't going there though and everyone knows it.

McDermott reportedly wanted Mike McCoy as his OC first and he's currently available.

I could see him firing Dennison and going after McCoy.

You just can't argue that Dennison doesn't have some infuriatingly head-scratchingly conservative play calling at times.

22 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Are the Bills .500? Is Tyrod's starting W/L record .500?

Who's .500?

You're posting from an alternate dimension, my dude.

Since the beginning of the  2014 season, the Bills are 1 game over .500 30-29. In games he's started here we are 21-18. We have lost every game he has not played 0-4.

We finally have a QB that we can be a winning team with, isn't a turnover machine, doesn't get hurt , is a leader, and we want to run him out of town. Brilliant.

Why not keep him AND get somebody else?  Best man plays.

For those wanting to run him out of town, be careful what you ask for. We could he headed back to EJ/Trent/JP/Fitz types. 

I say just try to build a D to pair with him while we look for someone else to ADd to the team.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 3

Rams built a solid team and then drafted a franchise QB. Colts tanked for a franchise QB and never got a decent team around him. QB is the #1 priority, but I can't help but think we need to build a solid core to this team before trading away all our early picks for a possible franchise QB. I dunno, I'm probably wrong about that - I'm sure you'll all tell me I am 

• Like (+1) 1

The national media obsession with Tyrod - poor, abused, misunderstood Tyrod - is getting ridiculous. Of course they're not happy with mediocre! With a game or two over .500. I don't recall any lengthy "why are the Vikings moving on from Christian Ponder" pieces when the Vikes unceremoniously moved on from him after a 10-6 playoff season. Not even when the guys they moved on to were the illustrious Matt Cassell and (for one final swan song) the mysterious Josh Freeman. There wasn't even such an outcry when the Niners moved on from Alex Smith (6-2-1 at the time, following a 13-3 season the year before as a starter....when did the Bills last have a 13-3 season?) to Kaepernick. 

The only explanation: the national media is obsessed by race, and is looking to turn an ordinary I'll-advised coaching decision into some kind of racial incident. You know what fan base is happy with mediocrity? None! What coach will avoid being fired by pointing out "we've been consistently mediocre throughout my tenure."  None!  

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The national media obsession with Tyrod - poor, abused, misunderstood Tyrod - is getting ridiculous. Of course they're not happy with mediocre! With a game or two over .500. I don't recall any lengthy "why are the Vikings moving on from Christian Ponder" pieces when the Vikes unceremoniously moved on from him after a 10-6 playoff season. Not even when the guys they moved on to were the illustrious Matt Cassell and (for one final swan song) the mysterious Josh Freeman. There wasn't even such an outcry when the Niners moved on from Alex Smith (6-2-1 at the time, following a 13-3 season the year before as a starter....when did the Bills last have a 13-3 season?) to Kaepernick. 

The only explanation: the national media is obsessed by race, and is looking to turn an ordinary I'll-advised coaching decision into some kind of racial incident. You know what fan base is happy with mediocrity? None! What coach will avoid being fired by pointing out "we've been consistently mediocre throughout my tenure."  None!  

Maybe the fact that our defense has stunk to high heaven the last 3 years.  Maybe they think the whole team contributes to the final score and not just the QB? (which appears to be the prevailing misguided IMHO attitude around here.)

You just want to turn everything about race evidently.

Edited by reddogblitz

24 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Rams built a solid team and then drafted a franchise QB. Colts tanked for a franchise QB and never got a decent team around him. QB is the #1 priority, but I can't help but think we need to build a solid core to this team before trading away all our early picks for a possible franchise QB. I dunno, I'm probably wrong about that - I'm sure you'll all tell me I am 

That the Colts " tanked" for a franchise QB had little to do with what followed. The order of acquisition matters very little if at all. While it would indeed seem prudent to have a solid team to which a QB would be added, the fact is Andrew Luck cost the Colts exactly one first round draft pick. You have to build a team through the draft by selecting good players and using picks wisely. The QB would usually be a part of that equation ( although there are situations where a FA QB was acquired) in some order. The player is much more important than the order imo. 

9 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Maybe the fact that our defense has stunk to high heaven the last 3 years.  Maybe they think the whole team contributes to the final score and not just the QB? (which appears to be the prevailing misguided IMHO attitude around here.)

No, I want to do the opposite of turning everything into something about race. What I'm suggesting is that is Tyrod's backup was still Cardale Jones, we would have seen a fraction of the national media (a media that ignores the Bills regularly) coverage that Tyrod's benching got. It was a stupid coach's decision. Coaches make stupid decisions all the time. That's all there is to it. It doesn't symbolize anything or suggest anything or show that any sinister force is at work. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott reportedly wanted Mike McCoy as his OC first and he's currently available.

I could see him firing Dennison and going after McCoy.

You just can't argue that Dennison doesn't have some infuriatingly head-scratchingly conservative play calling at times.

Bills have a winning record though.   Is it realistic to think that a first year head coach is going to fire his offensive coordinator when the team hovering around .500 or better?

I wouldn't mind they doing it.    I just don't think it is a realistic possibility.   Extremely unlikely I would think.

Wouldn't that make it very hard to get other coaches to work with/for you when you can a coordinator in that situation?

40 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

did you even read his post? His point the the media are the ones that find a way to insert racism

and he even showed a couple of examples and then you say that the poster wants to turn everything 

into racism. This tactic is blatantly straight out of the saul alinsky playbook.

Edited by Albwan

36 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Bills have a winning record though.   Is it realistic to think that a first year head coach is going to fire his offensive coordinator when the team hovering around .500 or better?

I wouldn't mind they doing it.    I just don't think it is a realistic possibility.   Extremely unlikely I would think.

Wouldn't that make it very hard to get other coaches to work with/for you when you can a coordinator in that situation?

IF a HC can get fired after 2 seasons of 8-8 then Rico can be shown the door after 1 season of offensive ineptitude

Funny watching the Monday night pregame and everyone except for Steve Young says the Chiefs should switch to Mahomes over Alex Smith because while Smith has good numbers, he is being way to careful trying to protect the football that its hurting the offense and the Chiefs need something to spark the offense.  Its literally the exact opposite of the take on benching Tyrod but they seemed to have a problem with that one even though Smith has even better numbers.

The national media sees the Bills as a joke of a franchise who ought to be happy with mediocre. I'll bet they would say Smith would be a great fit here.

It's because they don't take us seriously. Why would they? The Bills haven't given anyone much reason to take notice.

I distinctly remember the Patriots getting the same treatment before they became a dynasty. Brady was a system QB, they were just lucky, etc.

They're right and wrong. Wrong because most of the people bashing the Bills probably just look at the stat line and don't actually watch the games and right because he's better than anything available to us now. Peterman was worth a look-see, he was a lemon, just move on.