SI.com: The Baffling Breakup between Tyrod Taylor and the Bills

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Happy to do so. The reason they had the #1 rushing attack was because of the threat that Taylor himself posed in the run game plus the actual yardage he piled up in 2015 and 2016 -- 1,150 yards over two seasons, which led all qbs in the league in rushing. There is a reason why Mike Gillislee had such a high ypc - a well-designed run game that accentuated the threat of Taylor taking off on designed runs on any play. The statuesque Orton contributed zilch to the Bills' run game.

Again, I'm not an Orton hater. I like to think of myself as reasonable about Taylor too. I think too many here aren't reasonable about him and don't pay attention enough to other teams. 

Haha it wasn't McCoy? Hahahah yikes.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

One team hasn't drafted their franchise qb of the future; one team already has. I don't think anyone here think that that Bills shouldn't try to get a qb in the first round next season. 

Perhaps they should see, first, what they have in this "franchise QB of the future," before doing anything stupid.

Love,

John Elway

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Happy to do so. The reason they had the #1 rushing attack was because of the threat that Taylor himself posed in the run game plus the actual yardage he piled up in 2015 and 2016 -- 1,150 yards over two seasons, which led all qbs in the league in rushing. There is a reason why Mike Gillislee had such a high ypc - a well-designed run game that accentuated the threat of Taylor taking off on designed runs on any play. The statuesque Orton contributed zilch to the Bills' run game.

Again, I'm not an Orton hater. I like to think of myself as reasonable about Taylor too. I think too many here aren't reasonable about him and don't pay attention enough to other teams. 

Not sure how many people caught it but Trent Green observed on one play that the Chiefs employed TWO SPIES on the same play against Taylor, one on each side of the field. It's been a tragedy that the current Bills offensive coaching have not utilized him in the run game the way the previous offensive coaches did.

It's funny but I used to use the expression that Marrone "neutered" Orton for a lot of his last season, and I think that's an apt word for how the current coaches are treating Taylor. Plus our blocking is atrocious.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Perennial playoff contender KC about to break up with Alex Smith - bold and applauded.

Perennial bad to average Bills about to break up with Taylor - Idiotic, baffling, and unprecedented. 

one way to find out.  Andy has to bench Alex Smith

how many hypocrites will there be? 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

There is no argument in this response; only invective. What is your analysis, both in terms of the overall run game picture, inclusive of scheme, and Taylor's specific contribution to it?

We had the #1 rushing attack over two years even with QB rushing yards eliminated. 

TT ain't it. The RB's are.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Perhaps they should see, first, what they have in this "franchise QB of the future," before doing anything stupid.

Love,

John Elway

Are you referring to the Bills or the Chiefs? The Bills have a marginal fifth rounder backing up their current qb, not a franchise player. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you referring to the Bills or the Chiefs? The Bills have a marginal fifth rounder backing up their current qb, not a franchise player. 

I'm referring to the Chiefs.  What they have is a kid who was drafted high and has yet to do a goddamn thing in the NFL.  Right now, he's a franchise backup.

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Trent Edwards had something like a 14-15 record as the Bills starter too, mind you with much worse rosters and coaching.

TT's W/L record is just another very misleading metric among many. And it will be very telling to see what the market for him truly is in the offseason because I still don't see us getting anything worthwhile if we try to trade him and not sure teams will be lining up to sign him either other.

And still think whatever team he lands with next year he'll either have to earn a starting job or simply be a placeholder for a rookie QB with a short leash.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

We had the #1 rushing attack over two years even with QB rushing yards eliminated. 

False. The Bills would not have finished first in 2016 (Dallas would have) but rather third overall. They would have finished 9th in 2015 if Taylor's stats were eliminated. McCoy only had 895 yards in 2015, btw. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'm referring to the Chiefs.  What they have is a kid who was drafted high and has yet to do a goddamn thing in the NFL.  Right now, he's a franchise backup.

OK. I agree with you!

• Like (+1) 2

False. The Bills would not have finished first in 2016 (Dallas would have) but rather third overall. They would have finished 9th in 2015 if Taylor's stats were eliminated. McCoy only had 895 yards in 2015, btw. 

If Taylor's stats were eliminated, who's to say that McCoy just wouldn't have gotten the ball more?  You're manipulating stats that are already final.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Unless you watched how defenses actually defended us. A large part of the reason that the OL was able to be so powerful in the power running game and huge holes were often open on the edges was that they were not 100% concerned with stopping McCoy or Gillislee when they crowded the line. They were there but not really charging and much easier blocked. It was like 65 on the run game and 35 on Tyrod beating them himself. A lot more contain than stop. They took most of that away from him this year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If Taylor's stats were eliminated, who's to say that McCoy just wouldn't have gotten the ball more?  You're manipulating stats that are already final.

No, I am not. I am arguing that the Bills run game design exploited the very real threat that Taylor posed as a runner himself. Criticize him all you want as a passer, but he is a phenomenal, instinctual runner and an exceptional athlete. The necessity of planning to contain him created real problems for defenses trying to plan against the Bills run offense under Roman/Lynn. I honestly don't think that's debatable, although others can certainly disagree.

Also, the actual claim I was responding to was factually incorrect. 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Unless you watched how defenses actually defended us. A large part of the reason that the OL was able to be so powerful in the power running game and huge holes were often open on the edges was that they were not 100% concerned with stopping McCoy or Gillislee when they crowded the line. They were there but not really charging and much easier blocked. It was like 65 on the run game and 35 on Tyrod beating them himself. A lot more contain than stop. They took most of that away from him this year.

The initial statement is incorrect for both years in any case.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

No, I am not. I am arguing that the Bills run game design exploited the very real threat that Taylor posed as a runner himself. Criticize him all you want as a passer, but he is a phenomenal, instinctual runner and an exceptional athlete. The necessity of planning to contain him created real problems for defenses trying to plan against the Bills run offense under Roman/Lynn. I honestly don't think that's debatable, although others can certainly disagree.

I absolutely agree that Tyrod Taylor is a phenomenal runner (unfortunately, it's all he's good at) and a great athlete (so was Tebow).  I'm just saying that one can't just say, "if Tyrod Taylor wasn't on the team, then the Bills would have had "actual rushing yards minus Tyrod's rushing yards). 

Just now, Gugny said:

I absolutely agree that Tyrod Taylor is a phenomenal runner (unfortunately, it's all he's good at) and a great athlete (so was Tebow).  I'm just saying that one can't just say, "if Tyrod Taylor wasn't on the team, then the Bills would have had "actual rushing yards minus Tyrod's rushing yards). 

The claim was that the Bills would have led the league in rushing straight up if Taylor's rushing stats were cut from the totals in 2015 and 2016. That is simply false and easy to show.

The claim was that the Bills would have led the league in rushing straight up if Taylor's rushing stats were cut from the totals in 2015 and 2016. That is simply false and easy to show.

Gotcha.  My misunderstanding.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It's not debatable. I remain surprised that so many people don't understand or want to see this, even if you hate TT as a QB or think he is a terrible passer who cannot lead us. It's so ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Wow another national writer sayinf we should be happy with AVG. ha ha ha 

F them

WANT BETTER

Like Paxton Lynch, Geno Smith, JP Losman, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Nick Foles, RG3 etc... 

Because it's guaranteed that whoever we draft will be an upgrade. How's Deshone Kizer doing? How'd Paxton Lynch look yesterday?