McDermott: "In the Hunt"

26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

You are happy with Mcd so far?

Name one good thing he has done so far. And trading away good players for mid to late round picks would not be considered good in my books

Getting us to 5 wins is a miracle in itself. Any other coach would have gotten one or two wins. Getting a sixth for Marcy was terrible but all the other trades were solid . The main point of the trades was to get rid of guys who weren't buying in or didn't fit. This is going to take time.

Trust The Process = be patient while we suck but soon thereafter we will be great.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Getting us to 5 wins is a miracle in itself. Any other coach would have gotten one or two wins. Getting a sixth for Marcy was terrible but all the other trades were solid . The main point of the trades was to get rid of guys who weren't buying in or didn't fit. This is going to take time.

Trust The Process = be patient while we suck but soon thereafter we will be great.

The Bills were 8-8 and 7-9 under some pretty horrific coaching by Ryan, yet it was a "miracle" they got to 5 wins this year?  It's only a miracle because Beane and McDermott made the roster older and slower in the off season.

If McDermott believes the Bills are in the hunt, and if there is a process, he should have started Taylor against the Chargers, Chiefs, and Patriots.  If the Bills lose those games, then give Peterman a chance by starting him at home against the Colts.  

That would have been the patient move.  That would indicate a process is being followed.

Instead we have the current mess.  There is no process.  McDermott has no master plan.  He's proving himself to be an average coach who is winging it.  He's in over his head. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

The Bills were 8-8 and 7-9 under some pretty horrific coaching by Ryan, yet it was a "miracle" they got to 5 wins this year?  It's only a miracle because Beane and McDermott made the roster older and slower in the off season.

If McDermott believes the Bills are in the hunt, and if there is a process, he should have started Taylor against the Chargers, Chiefs, and Patriots.  If the Bills lose those games, then give Peterman a chance by starting him at home against the Colts.  

That would have been the patient move.  That would indicate a process is being followed.

Instead we have the current mess.  There is no process.  McDermott has no master plan.  He's proving himself to be an average coach who is winging it.  He's in over his head. 

Tsk tsk, people already making judgements om the tenure and coming to a conclusion after just over half a season. It's going to take time.

What did you all expect? Honestly, going into the season after trading Darby and Watkins, did we believe we were going places? Most thought we were tanking. What do you expect the coach to say?  "Yeah, you guys are right, we're tanking"? No coach ever does that.  Did anyone really think we were as good as our record? I assume most of us were ready for the other shoe to drop. So why are people so surprised and angry when the bottom drops out? 

It's your OPINION he doesnt have a plan, I think he's doing what he can to win now but they've depleted their roster to the bone and have a lot of short contracts on the team with vets. That tells me they are making themselves as flexible as possible for this offseason. A chance for the to build the roster they believe will win. I trust he knows what he's doing, though he is human and can make mistakes. Trust the process, which really begins after this season. 

It's too bad this world is all about instant gratification. That rarely happens in the NFL, cultures change over years, not half seasons. 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Isn't the GM Mr Beane supposed to be in charge of these moves?

Both of them. From my understanding McD has a big say on personnel moves. And he is a defensive coach, (well supposed to be anyways) so I can almost guarantee he had a big influence on some of the players he traded away/brought in

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

Tsk tsk, people already making judgements om the tenure and coming to a conclusion after just over half a season. It's going to take time.

What did you all expect? Honestly, going into the season after trading Darby and Watkins, did we believe we were going places? Most thought we were tanking. What do you expect the coach to say?  "Yeah, you guys are right, we're tanking"? No coach ever does that.  Did anyone really think we were as good as our record? I assume most of us were ready for the other shoe to drop. So why are people so surprised and angry when the bottom drops out? 

It's your OPINION he doesnt have a plan, I think he's doing what he can to win now but they've depleted their roster to the bone and have a lot of short contracts on the team with vets. That tells me they are making themselves as flexible as possible for this offseason. A chance for the to build the roster they believe will win. I trust he knows what he's doing, though he is human and can make mistakes. Trust the process, which really begins after this season. 

It's too bad this world is all about instant gratification. That rarely happens in the NFL, cultures change over years, not half seasons. 

They traded Watkins, have tried to implement the worst possible offense for Taylor & decimated the Offense.  Heck Boldin came here and as soon as the trade was made said sayonara........  Tells me something fundamentally wrong with the offense and the OC.

How terrible the idea of winning is for some.  Falling for the line that a .500 team had no shot.......  

Now Atlanta went from 8-8 in 2015 to the SB in 2016, New Orleans this year (7-9 in 2016), Dallas 4-12 2015 to 13-3, Philly, Oakland 7-9 to 12-4......  And this is not all about the QB's......  Coaching helps too, but in every case I've shown the Offenses all are good.....  

But Buffalo decided to decimate the Offense and no effort to improve the passing game (by passing the ball!!!!!). 

Edited by Billsfan1972

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Let's be honest, whoever has watched the Bills this year knows that probably 3 of those wins were very lucky as so many things went their way.

I don't agree with all the trades but they did it. For them to be successful in 2 years they are going to have to hit home runs on the next 2 drafts. Very hard to do.

And I didn't expect the Bills to be good but I thought I would at least see improvements. They are getting worse as the season goes on. 

If they started slow and reversed the trend, I would have a lot more faith in him. 

But it's the opposite and it really makes me wonder what exactly this guy has accomplished/built

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

And centre. Can’t stand that one.

That's how Canadians spell it lol. Its not wrong for us

29 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They traded Watkins, have tried to implement the worst possible offense for Taylor & decimated the Offense.  Heck Boldin came here and as soon as the trade was made said sayonara........  Tells me something fundamentally wrong with the offense and the OC.

How terrible the idea of winning is for some.  Falling for the line that a .500 team had no shot.......  

Now Atlanta went from 8-8 in 2015 to the SB in 2016, New Orleans this year (7-9 in 2016), Dallas 4-12 2015 to 13-3, Philly, Oakland 7-9 to 12-4......  And this is not all about the QB's......  Coaching helps too, but in every case I've shown the Offenses all are good.....  

But Buffalo decided to decimate the Offense and no effort to improve the passing game (by passing the ball!!!!!). 

Or like I said, there is a process and the process is actually to clean house and start from the foundation.  The coach is not going to come out and say that they are tanking, he does not want to lose the locker room right off the bat.  How is that so hard to understand? 

I don't understand what you're saying when you say "how terrible the idea of winning is for some".  What do you mean by that?  Did I say I hate winning or something? 

Your talk about how teams went from middling to low on the totem pole to playoff teams in one year seems to be something that would add to the idea of a process.  You can suck out one year and win the next year with the right moves. 

It seems to me from what you're saying, you think the Bills won't make any moves to improve the offense next year.  The whole offseason, you expect no improvement with personnel, or perhaps coaching? 

It isn't that we are losing that is so annoying. It is that we have been losing as if the players don't know how or want to play, and the coaches are drunk. Making headlines, for being the worst losses ever. The most interpretations ever. The most yards gained ever, The most consecutive touchdowns without trowing a pass ever. The most series of downs without forcing a punt ever. These are the records this team is challenging for.

It doesn't have to be that bad to rebuild a roster.

Then we have the coach pretending that he doesn't understand this. We are "in the hunt". Another slogan.That is what I think makes people angry.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just remember, most of these guys are basically gym teachers who’ve made it very far.  It helps me to think about it that way sometimes.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that all these players are millionaires. 

And what kind of hunt are we talking about? The hunt for mediocrity? The hunt for turkey? The hunt for higher draft picks? The hunt for really rebuilding next year? The hunt for Red October? (Never seen that movie - is it any good?) 

7 minutes ago, FappyTheClown said:

Sometimes I have to remind myself that all these players are millionaires. 

And what kind of hunt are we talking about? The hunt for mediocrity? The hunt for turkey? The hunt for higher draft picks? The hunt for really rebuilding next year? The hunt for Red October? (Never seen that movie - is it any good?) 

No they aren't.

29 minutes ago, FappyTheClown said:

Sometimes I have to remind myself that all these players are millionaires

Beane & McDermott don't want millionaires......  They ship them out.......  Watkins, Dareus, Darby........

12 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

You guys probably would have wanted Belichek gone after the first 5-11 season. 

Belichick never coached a team that got butt-whipped as badly as consistently as McDermott's Bills, either.

10 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The race car with a bad engine that keeps falling further and further behind but finishes the race is "in the hunt."

Hey, ya never can tell ... he might be running last, but if there's a late race caution and everybody's gotta pit for gas but him so they're all a lap down ...

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It must be something in the water in Allegany County ...