McDermott: "In the Hunt"

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The easiest thing to do is cut players that are higher maintenance and lose and call it a rebuild.......so if THAT is your opening statement.......then you aren't open to discussion and there is no point.

If you are good with what you are seeing just kick back and enjoy.:thumbsup:

You know you’re awfully smug for someone who’s so monumentally wrong.

57 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

If you're happy just because their record says 5 and 5 then by all means.

But everyone knows that 2 or 3 of those wins were extremely lucky where they got virtually every break. That's just not sustainable to force 3 plus turnovers a game

The reality of situation is they are 5 and 5 with the 27th ranked offence and the 30th ranked defence. They are on a sharp decline and look worse by the week.

If you're happy that they won 2 or 3 of those 5 games by great bounces and a massive turnover differential then fair enough. But I can't see how that will benefit them in the future because it's an unsustainable method of winning. As we are now witnessing

I was expecting one of the least talented teams to be one of the league worst teams.  If we had kept Sammy, dareus, Darby and the rest of the guy everyone is so up in arms about trading away/let go, I believe we’d be in a similar situation, maybe a little better, quite possibly a playoff team.  Then Sammy would leave via FA, dareus would still be getting 18 mill a year to play 35% of the snaps and Darby is a year away from being overpaid.....then where would we be?  I’d like them to build a super bowl champion and I truly believe they took the proper route to achieving that.  Whether or not they hit on these draft picks they traded away the talent for will go a long way in determining the future.  

McD has made some decision that I completely disagree with:  Mike Tolbert as our #2 rb, hiring Castillo to coach the OL, switching to the zone running scheme when we had a dominant run game already to name a few.  I don’t love everything he’s done, but he’s the nfl coach.  I’m on the couch, like you guys.  

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

0-0

If your point is what would their record be if they had simply started Nate Peterman all year......0-10 would be my guess and someone not on the roster would be playing QB right now with Lil' Nay Pete on IR.

Problem is that the early season is always fools gold and new coaching staffs have an advantage early on because there is no tape of their players playing their schemes.

As I said early in the year.......by midseason the X's and O's matter less.........and the Jimmie's and Joe's matter more.

7th in scoring with the fewest turnovers ever thru 15 games isn't average.  Not debatable.

I know you are as mentally soft as a marshmallow so you can't appreciate the value of a resilient defense.....but defense is important.......also usually easy to fix.......which is a bad look for McDefense.:thumbsup: 

No - what was your expectations going into this season.

I didn't have this team in the playoffs, that includes pre trades.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The easiest thing to do is cut players that are higher maintenance and lose and call it a rebuild.......so if THAT is your opening statement.......then you aren't open to discussion and there is no point.

If you are good with what you are seeing just kick back and enjoy.:thumbsup:

I’m seeing exactly what I expected to see (the last 3 weeks) to be honest.  I didn’t expect us to be competing for a playoff spot. 

I’m not open to discussing anything with those that are sure that McBeane is a failure (or a success for that matter).  I’m not sure on your stance at the moment,  I’m taking the wait and see approach and will judge accordingly.  We’ve had a great start “Building through the draft”.  I think we’ll have a better grasp of what these guys are building after an offseason or two.  That’s my stance.  Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

21 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you have a very poor way of reading people. I don't know if that's something you can teach or just comes with time. I was just yanking your chain the same as you were yanking mine. no real emotion involved, especially anger or in your words mad/emo. 

no, it would take a hell of a lot more then that to make me mad. if anything I'm mad at myself for hanging in there as long as I have. difference now is I find it much easier to just let go of any hope. hope, mainly false hope is what bills fans have been living on. this season is no different then any of the other so called rebuilds and so far looking like the same (that may of been the worst 3 game stretch I've ever witnessed or remember anyway) end result. 

as for peterman, sure I was pulling for the kid, another good case of false hope on my behalf. you seem to have some hope  for taylor and I certainly wont call you out when he continues to be taylor and he too joins the list, long list of failed attempts at finding stability at the most important position.

I've wrote this season off, my choice. after the last three weeks, I don't see any miraculous turn around so they'll miss the post season and lure us in to the off season with all those picks and try and lead the fan base to believe that the process will work and they're building a team with one goal in mind, a championship.

it's what keeps us coming back year after year, always thinking this will be the year, how cliche'.

I have no choice but to sit back and wait to see if they can bring their "trust the process" in to fruition and finally field a contender?

Poor way of reading people?  Really?:lol:

I was joking about you being mad.......but then showing me a clip of a turnover in a game where your candidate Peterman threw an post merger NFL record 5 pics in the first half was a kinda' desperate and feeble response.:lol:

I wasn't joking about you being emo.........saw you make several sad, fatalistic posts like this after being so gung-ho about Peterman and you just did it again.......you are just extra sad because you were wrong about Peterman.

If the Bills somehow pull out a victory this weekend......you will be right back on the bandwagon......hating Taylor still but back on the bandwagon.

As for my takes on Taylor.........I have been a proponent of drafting a QB #1 every year and that won't change..........I just know that Taylor is an average QB and on top of that brings some synergy to the run game when used properly so he's plenty good to win as a bridge if you can play good defense.   

The problem is that too many people on here think the answer is taking 3 steps back like that is the way to the top........... rather than the actually more effective route of good organizations like the SB winning teams of recent years like Steelers or Patriots or Seahawks and taking baby steps forward from mediocrity to greatness.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was joking about you being mad.......but then showing me a clip of a turnover in a game where your candidate Peterman threw an post merger NFL record 5 pics in the first half was a kinda' desperate and feeble response.:lol:

I wasn't joking about you being emo.........saw you make several sad, fatalistic posts like this after being so gung-ho about Peterman and you just did it again.......you are just extra sad because you were wrong about Peterman.

If the Bills somehow pull out a victory this weekend......you will be right back on the bandwagon......hating Taylor still but back on the bandwagon.

As for my takes on Taylor.........I have been a proponent of drafting a QB #1 every year and that won't change..........I just know that Taylor is an average QB and on top of that brings some synergy to the run game when used properly so he's plenty good to win as a bridge if you can play good defense.   

The problem is that too many people on here think the answer is taking 3 steps back like that is the way to the top........... rather than the actually more effective route of good organizations like the SB winning teams of recent years like Steelers or Patriots or Seahawks and taking baby steps forward from mediocrity to greatness.

3 steps back?  Do Sammy, Dareus and Darby each = a step?  Is this team really 3 steps back from last year?  I’d have to disagree.  A step back, sure.  These 3 games have been an abomination.  I saw many an abomination the last couple years (decades).  Draft picks do matter and we have a plethora.  If used on the right guys along with the cap room we’ve created by not resigning certain players and trading away players we can build up our talent level to be a consistently competitive franchise.  

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m seeing exactly what I expected to see (the last 3 weeks) to be honest.  I didn’t expect us to be competing for a playoff spot. 

I’m not open to discussing anything with those that are sure that McBeane is a failure (or a success for that matter).  I’m not sure on your stance at the moment,  I’m taking the wait and see approach and will judge accordingly.  We’ve had a great start “Building through the draft”.  I think we’ll have a better grasp of what these guys are building after an offseason or two.  That’s my stance.  Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

My stance is McD has very much botched his first year as Bills HC.   Fortunately for him, as Bill Belichick says,  you have to be constantly making bad decisions in the NFL to stay bad.  So maybe he rebounds and fixes a bunch of his errors.   Confidence in him right now is LOW though.:lol:   

If you expected the worst defense ever by the Bills this season........which the last 3 games have been.......I guess that is definitely lower than I would have been willing to accept.  

They've been Matt Millen Detroit Lions 0-16 bad those last three weeks.   

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You keep pointing out his cognitive dissonance by pounding your chest.  Impressively ironic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My stance is McD has very much botched his first year as Bills HC.   Fortunately for him, as Bill Belichick says,  you have to be constantly making bad decisions in the NFL to stay bad.  So maybe he rebounds and fixes a bunch of his errors.   Confidence in him right now is LOW though.:lol:   

If you expected the worst defense ever by the Bills this season........which the last 3 games have been.......I guess that is definitely lower than I would have been willing to accept.  

They've been Matt Millen Detroit Lions 0-16 bad those last three weeks.   

One can achieve being the worst defense ever in 3 games?  I guess you learn something every day.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

3 steps back?  Do Sammy, Dareus and Darby each = a step?  Is this team really 3 steps back from last year?  I’d have to disagree.  A step back, sure.  These 3 games have been an abomination.  I saw many an abomination the last couple years (decades).  Draft picks do matter and we have a plethora.  If used on the right guys along with the cap room we’ve created by not resigning certain players and trading away players we can build up our talent level to be a consistently competitive franchise.  

They've lost and not replaced a lot more players than that.

Anyone saying this is a 2-3 year rebuild is saying they took 3 steps back, IMO.   Getting the roster back up to snuff is just part of it........beyond that did you finally get a franchise QB.......and are McD and Leslie and Rico good enough?

As un-spoiled as Bills fans have been by this team not making the playoffs.........we've been spoiled by having our organizational incompetence not resulting in a Browns-esque long term decline.    Or picking at the top of the draft for 5 years like the Jags did.   It gets worse if you treat it like "what could be worse" and let decisions get out of hand and truly backslide.    

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m seeing exactly what I expected to see (the last 3 weeks) to be honest.  

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

One can achieve being the worst defense ever in 3 games?  I guess you learn something every day.  

Your words.

Past three weeks have been the worst such stretch defensively in Bills history..........and you are saying the results of the past 3 weeks are what you expected all season.

I guess choose your words more carefully if you don't want to be misunderstood.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

that's pretty heavy there. You a psychologist are you? sad, fatalistic posts, that's deep. 

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was expecting one of the least talented teams to be one of the league worst teams.  If we had kept Sammy, dareus, Darby and the rest of the guy everyone is so up in arms about trading away/let go, I believe we’d be in a similar situation, maybe a little better, quite possibly a playoff team.  Then Sammy would leave via FA, dareus would still be getting 18 mill a year to play 35% of the snaps and Darby is a year away from being overpaid.....then where would we be?  I’d like them to build a super bowl champion and I truly believe they took the proper route to achieving that.  Whether or not they hit on these draft picks they traded away the talent for will go a long way in determining the future.  

McD has made some decision that I completely disagree with:  Mike Tolbert as our #2 rb, hiring Castillo to coach the OL, switching to the zone running scheme when we had a dominant run game already to name a few.  I don’t love everything he’s done, but he’s the nfl coach.  I’m on the couch, like you guys.  

Fair enough man. I personally am very dissapointed in the lack of talent, especially young talent. The bills are going to hit absolute home runs on their next 2 drafts just to be descent. That's very tough to do.

If you're happy by all means, but I can't say I am at all right now. I thought if anything the Bills should have a respectable defence. You know, since we apparently hired a defensive coach..

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They've lost and not replaced a lot more players than that.

Anyone saying this is a 2-3 year rebuild is saying they took 3 steps back, IMO.   Getting the roster back up to snuff is just part of it........beyond that did you finally get a franchise QB.......and are McD and Leslie and Rico good enough?

As un-spoiled as Bills fans have been by this team not making the playoffs.........we've been spoiled by having our organizational incompetence not resulting in a Browns-esque long term decline.    Or picking at the top of the draft for 5 years like the Jags did.   It gets worse if you treat it like "what could be worse" and let decisions get out of hand and truly backslide.    

Your words.

Past three weeks have been the worst such stretch defensively in Bills history..........and you are saying the results of the past 3 weeks are what you expected all season.

I guess choose your words more carefully if you don't want to be misunderstood.

Touchè.  I should’ve chosen my words more wisely.  I did not expect the defense to be as bad as they’ve been the last 3 weeks.  I expected them to be bottom quarter of the league mainly due to our Lb unit.  By FAR the worst in the league imo.  Letting Zach Brown go via FA was the only move in free agency that really got to me, but his play in the 2nd half of the season (vs Pittsburgh was embarrassing) left a lot to be desired.  

20 minutes ago, fridge said:

You keep pointing out his cognitive dissonance by pounding your chest.  Impressively ironic.

It's possible to understand that the management of an NFL organization is bad.........but also understand that it doesn't take a lot of good decisions to turn mediocrity into a winner.

The Rams won 15 games over 5 years from 2007-2011........then were mostly mediocre for the next 5 years........coming off a rough season they could have said screw-it and torn it down again but they instead chose to build it up........probably because they didn't want to risk going back to those years when they used to average 3 wins per season........a rebuilding stage that built nothing.

IMO, the Bills were dumb for trying to tear it down in the first place.   

12 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

The Bills were 8-8 and 7-9 under some pretty horrific coaching by Ryan, yet it was a "miracle" they got to 5 wins this year?  It's only a miracle because Beane and McDermott made the roster older and slower in the off season.

If McDermott believes the Bills are in the hunt, and if there is a process, he should have started Taylor against the Chargers, Chiefs, and Patriots.  If the Bills lose those games, then give Peterman a chance by starting him at home against the Colts.  

That would have been the patient move.  That would indicate a process is being followed.

Instead we have the current mess.  There is no process.  McDermott has no master plan.  He's proving himself to be an average coach who is winging it.  He's in over his head. 

Are you saying the talent under Rex and McDermott are equal?? Please all you crybabies need to stop with the instant gratification and actually let a coach and GM build a team.

It's obvious he has a plan and it shows in the players saying the same things. Better get used to McD because he is going to be here for a long time.

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

Belichick never coached a team that got butt-whipped as badly as consistently as McDermott's Bills, either.

Hey, ya never can tell ... he might be running last, but if there's a late race caution and everybody's gotta pit for gas but him so they're all a lap down ...

It must be something in the water in Allegany County ...

Same thing as Chautauqua

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's possible to understand that the management of an NFL organization is bad.........but also understand that it doesn't take a lot of good decisions to turn mediocrity into a winner.

The Rams won 15 games over 5 years from 2007-2011........then were mostly mediocre for the next 5 years........coming off a rough season they could have said screw-it and torn it down again but they instead chose to build it up........probably because they didn't want to risk going back to those years when they used to average 3 wins per season........a rebuilding stage that built nothing.

IMO, the Bills were dumb for trying to tear it down in the first place.   

There’s lots of ways to build a franchise into a contender.  In your opinion McBeane took the wrong approach.  Others here agree with you.  Others disagree.  No one is right.  No one is wrong.  Wait and see.  Not sure what the argument is at this point.  Just bitterness because suck, while we could’ve possibly been a playoff team this year and been stuck with bad salaries (dareus) and potentially lost or overpaid players in the coming years (Sammy, Darby).  I’ve seen us lose enough games with those guys.  I’ll take the picks and hope these guys get the guys that they’re looking for and pay them a fraction of the amount while being under contract for 4-5 years.  

We’re on the couch.  They’re getting paid  It’s going to stay that way for awhile.  Hopefully a long while.  I understand everyone’s frustration.  I really do.  I’m frustrated as well.  I’m just happy to see these guys have a plan. We’ve been spinning the wheels for 2 decades.  To me, this doesn’t seem like spinning of the wheels.  I hope I’m wrong.  We’ll see

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

There’s lots of ways to build a franchise into a contender.  In your opinion McBeane took the wrong approach.  Others here agree with you.  Others disagree.  No one is right.  No one is wrong.  Wait and see.  Not sure what the argument is at this point.  Just bitterness because suck, while we could’ve possibly been a playoff team this year and been stuck with bad salaries (dareus) and potentially lost or overpaid players in the coming years (Sammy, Darby).  I’ve seen us lose enough games with those guys.  I’ll take the picks and hope these guys get the guys that they’re looking for and pay them a fraction of the amount while being under contract for 4-5 years.  

We’re on the couch.  They’re getting paid  It’s going to stay that way for awhile.  Hopefully a long while.  I understand everyone’s frustration.  I really do.  I’m frustrated as well.  I’m just happy to see these guys have a plan. We’ve been spinning the wheels for 2 decades.  To me, this doesn’t seem like spinning of the wheels.  I hope I’m wrong.  We’ll see

I think the fact that the consistently best organizations in the NFL got to their lofty status from a previous state of mediocrity says it all.

That and the fact that all but 1 of the 7 active QB's that have won SB's were not drafted early in round 1......Eli is the only one drafted in the top 8 picks....... and he's not played like a HOF'er year-in-and-year-out like most of those other guys.

No matter where you draft you have to make good decisions...........tanking simply has not yielded results in the past couple decades in the NFL.........I can't say for certain that one COULDN'T win by taking multiple steps back but the reality is facts do not support the conclusion that it's a good decision to attempt it.

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the fact that the consistently best organizations in the NFL got to their lofty status from a previous state of mediocrity says it all.

That and the fact that all but 1 of the 7 active QB's that have won SB's were not drafted early in round 1......Eli is the only one drafted in the top 8 picks....... and he's not played like a HOF'er year-in-and-year-out like most of those other guys.

No matter where you draft you have to make good decisions...........tanking simply has not yielded results in the past couple decades in the NFL.........I can't say for certain that one COULDN'T win by taking multiple steps back but the reality is facts do not support the conclusion that it's a good decision to attempt it.

That’s fair.  I really don’t see this regime “tanking”.  Our performance the last 3 weeks may say something different, I just don’t see that as what they are trying to accomplish. I think they took a look at the big picture, the future. They didn’t like that sammy was a primadonna and wanted to get PAID, all while not being able to stay healthy and on the field.  Getting a 2nd rd pick that will be on a cheap contract for 4 years along with Darbys replacement was a win.  Dareus was the highest paid player on the team by a good margin, while being a rotational.  Getting any draft pick for him was a plus.  Darby up for a huge contract after next year made him expendable while gaining a pick and Sammy’s replacement for the season.  They want their type players at a value as opposed to overpaying players that contributed to our drought.  

We were a competitive team for almost half the season and still have 6 games to go.  These 6 games may be brutal, but you never know.  Maybe the switch will flip and they turn it around.  Before the season and after the trades it may have seemed like a tank, but the result hasn’t shown a tank (yet anyway).  

As always, time will tell and how they draft will determine the regimes fate.  This past draft made me a believer in McDs draft strategy.  I’m interested to see how McD, Beane and the all star scouting dept we’ve put together can come together and draft.