The overreaction toward McDermott from the media is why football coaches are so conservative

Wayne Arnold

1 minute ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

This was my take.  They are looking at 2018 and they know they don't want TT next year.  Why not see of Peterman is a possibility?  

Regardless what they say, MCBean has been about 2018 since preseason.  Now at least they know they need to draft a QB in first or second round.  Peterman is definitely NOT the guy.

I wouldn't give up on Peterman QUITE so fast LOL !

The three losses! The Peterman decision! 5 Picks in a half, all after building up our hopes? Its just too much. This has to be the lowest point in my Bill's memory since watching Kelly carted off after the Jacksonville playoff loss. It hurts. The Bills seem to find new ways to draw you in just to crush your soul. I love Josh Rosen as a prospect, but it will take some real assets to get him. But it becomes more possible if we draft earlier, so losing isnt all bad. This is what I tell myself.

McDermott made his decision and tried for a spark. Nothing wrong with that part of it,

but when he says after the game he does not regret his decision and how tough Peterman

is, he is delusonal. He is also insulting the other 52 players on this football team, along with

fandom and the media. And when he will not admit his defense the last three games has been

the worst in Buffalo Bill HISTORY don't talk to me about over reaction. If anything, I expect

some members of the media to go soft.

We all deserve better, and that includes the people who pay their money to watch what has

become unwatchable, and when the coach is not man enough to admit that he is responsible for

this mess, then that is beyond whatever over reaction occurs. To have to listen to his after

game press conferences, with his nonsense is really pitiful. The QB situation is what it is, but

once the league figured out his defense, and he does not know how to fix it,  that is not the

medias fault to over  react.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not excuses. Analysis.

McDermott put all his hopes on a young QB that wasn't well supported, and may have ruined that QB's development as a result. So we can look forward to Peterman having 0 confidence going forward, Tyrod wanting to skip town, and an potentially high first round QB pick wasted on a QB who, whether they are good or not, will be groomed by a former defensive coordinator with a bad defense that clearly doesn't know how to develop or evaluate a QB. How's that for analysis.

Edited by MURPHD6

25 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

McDermott made his decision and tried for a spark. Nothing wrong with that part of it,

but when he says after the game he does not regret his decision and how tough Peterman

is, he is delusonal. He is also insulting the other 52 players on this football team, along with

fandom and the media. And when he will not admit his defense the last three games has been

the worst in Buffalo Bill HISTORY don't talk to me about over reaction. If anything, I expect

some members of the media to go soft.

We all deserve better, and that includes the people who pay their money to watch what has

become unwatchable, and when the coach is not man enough to admit that he is responsible for

this mess, then that is beyond whatever over reaction occurs. To have to listen to his after

game press conferences, with his nonsense is really pitiful. The QB situation is what it is, but

once the league figured out his defense, and he does not know how to fix it,  that is not the

medias fault to over  react.

The whole, "I don't regret the decision, I regret the result," is one of the dumbest things I've heard from a head coach.  I guess he feels the decision making process, always about the process with McDermott, was fine/correct and yet somehow it blew up in his face.  You'd think that a coach would go back and reevaluate the decision making process when something blows up in your face, and yet you didn't get that from McDermott's post game.  If the result was bad, then something in the decision making process was also bad, so go back and recheck it, because it clearly didn't work out and you can't afford to make these kinds of mistakes going forward.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

And I'm sick of people treating the quarterback position like something sacred. As if replacing the starting QB for a game (or even just a half) is some sort of travesty like the coach is destroying the sanctity of football by doing it. It's one position. If the QB plays poorly then the next guy should be given a chance. Who cares?

Like it or not, QB is a sacred position in football. They all have egos. Even the ones that seem grounded. They get special treatment and teams don't play musical chairs with their QBs on a week to week basis. Doing so tells the QBs on your team that they suck. That's fine if your goal is to tank the season.

I'm with you, as are most of us, in that it was a good move to make the switch to Peterman to see if there was a spark. But this was assuming Peterman was ready. From what we saw today, Peterman wasn't anywhere close to ready which really contradicts what coach was telling us all week. And the fact that their were two blatantly obvious points in today's game in the second quarter (12:53  Bills first possession after Peterman's 3rd INT and 10:32 Bills first possession after Peterman's 4th INT) where McDermott  should have benched Peterman didn't help any.

And weren't you the one that said "Not happening" when I suggested a few days before the game that Peterman could be benched in favor of Taylor at the half if he plays poorly?

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The odd crucifixion of Sean McDermott by the media simply because he decided to try something different by seeing if a rookie QB could spark the offense is strange to me...but far from surprising. 

I'm always on football coaches (especially in the NFL) for being too conservative. I call most of them gutless meatheads because they ignore analytics when they punt on 4th and 2 from the opponent's 39 yard line.

But it's obvious why they are the way they are.

Because football coaches are much more likely to be ridiculed when they go for it and don't convert than they are when they punt.

Coaches who take risks put themselves out there. And are blasted when that risk doesn't work out. Meanwhile, the coaches who never take risks are able to skate by with little attention. Sure, they'll rarely succeed...but they at least keep their jobs and collect a paycheck for a while before getting fired.

And I'm sick of people treating the quarterback position like something sacred. As if replacing the starting QB for a game (or even just a half) is some sort of travesty like the coach is destroying the sanctity of football by doing it. It's one position. If the QB plays poorly then the next guy should be given a chance. Who cares?

Say what you want about McDermott - but I applaud him for his willingness to try something to turn around an anemic offense. It didn't work and it was wrong.

McDermott went for it and the conversion failed.

I agree with you. And I think in time his having put Peterman in for a half won't seem like as a big of a deal to anyone but Peterman. And I hope he gets past it too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The odd crucifixion of Sean McDermott by the media simply because he decided to try something different by seeing if a rookie QB could spark the offense is strange to me...but far from surprising. 

I'm always on football coaches (especially in the NFL) for being too conservative. I call most of them gutless meatheads because they ignore analytics when they punt on 4th and 2 from the opponent's 39 yard line.

Because football coaches are much more likely to be ridiculed when they go for it and don't convert than they are when they punt.

Coaches who take risks put themselves out there. And are blasted when that risk doesn't work out. Meanwhile, the coaches who never take risks are able to skate by with little attention. Sure, they'll rarely succeed...but they at least keep their jobs and collect a paycheck for a while before getting fired.

Say what you want about McDermott - but I applaud him for his willingness to try something to turn around an anemic offense. It didn't work and it was wrong.

This is nonsense.  The Bills got the crap beat out of them three straight games. With his team holding the sixth seed and with a record of 5-4, McDermott changed from his veteran qb to a rookie qb who had never started an NFL game before. That rookie qb was unprepared to start an NFL game and had a horrendous game, throwing 5 ints in just the first half, and you think McDermott being criticized by the press is an "odd crucifixion"????  In what universe do you reside?  Why the hell shouldn't a professional football coach be held accountable when his team plays terribly or when he throws an unprepared player out on the field for any reason other than dire necessity like injury?

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I agree with you. And I think in time his having put Peterman in for a half won't seem like as a big of a deal to anyone but Peterman. And I hope he gets past it too.

No, this game is going to always be remembered pretty vividly. Even if McDermott turns it around and has a good run.

Peterman was record setting bad. It's delusional to think everyone will just forget about it.

Maybe I'm missing out on some kind of sarcasm or something here. I don't know.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

He made the decision to start an unproven rookie QB that was drafted in the 5th round when his team was in playoff contention against one of the more talented defensive lines in the league when his franchise left tackle was out with an injury. In doing so he probably lost the respect of the locker room, and most certainly lost the respect of most of the league. If he wanted to roll the dice on Peterman, maybe, just maybe, he should have waited until he was at home with a functioning line, cause he may have just ruined this kid.

No wait its a media conspiracy. FAKE NEWS. FAKE NEWS.

Yesterday was basically a home game. Neutral site at worst.

No one is calling it a media conspiracy. I take great offense to the Trump comparison.

7 hours ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Biased analysis.

I'm not related to or married to any of these players. Why would I be biased?

7 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

McDermott put all his hopes on a young QB that wasn't well supported, and may have ruined that QB's development as a result. So we can look forward to Peterman having 0 confidence going forward, Tyrod wanting to skip town, and an potentially high first round QB pick wasted on a QB who, whether they are good or not, will be groomed by a former defensive coordinator with a bad defense that clearly doesn't know how to develop or evaluate a QB. How's that for analysis.

Dennison is a dead man walking.

Yea I’m fine with McD being bold and going against the grain. I think we need that in a coach.

However, unless Peterman was amazing at practice it’s hard to call McDs QB decision bold rather than a bad decision. Because it was clear Peterman wasn’t ready. We aren’t in practice so we will never know.

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

True statement in my opinion. 

I was one who believed that 5-2, 5-3 etc was an inaccurate representation of the team's talent.  McDermott made a decision, after a couple of really disappointing losses, that many of us armchair GMs and coaches were calling for (myself included).  Tyrod is not the long term answer at the QB position. The team needed to see whether Peterman had enough to offer to make them bypass drafting a QB high in 2018.  While I cannot write Peterman off after 1/2 of football it was enough to make me believe that Taylor starts the rest of the season and the Bills need to draft a QB early in the 2018 draft. 

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

And weren't you the one that said "Not happening" when I suggested a few days before the game that Peterman could be benched in favor of Taylor at the half if he plays poorly?

Yes. I didn't anticipate 5 interceptions in one half.

7 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Peterman experienced the exact same thing in college. He'll be fine.

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

This is nonsense.  The Bills got the crap beat out of them three straight games. With his team holding the sixth seed and with a record of 5-4, McDermott changed from his veteran qb to a rookie qb who had never started an NFL game before. That rookie qb was unprepared to start an NFL game and had a horrendous game, throwing 5 ints in just the first half, and you think McDermott being criticized by the press is an "odd crucifixion"????  In what universe do you reside?  Why the hell shouldn't a professional football coach be held accountable when his team plays terribly or when he throws an unprepared player out on the field for any reason other than dire necessity like injury?

A veteran quarterback who performed terribly in his previous start. With the way the defense is performing, the team's QB can't be checking down or eating the ball. He has to take chances, which Peterman did (obviously to poor results).

It was the wrong decision in hindsight ("Hindsight is 20/20.") but stop pretending as if it was some sort of travesty.