The overreaction toward McDermott from the media is why football coaches are so conservative

Wayne Arnold

15 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The odd crucifixion of Sean McDermott by the media simply because he decided to try something different by seeing if a rookie QB could spark the offense is strange to me...but far from surprising. (...)

And I'm sick of people treating the quarterback position like something sacred. As if replacing the starting QB for a game (or even just a half) is some sort of travesty like the coach is destroying the sanctity of football by doing it. It's one position. If the QB plays poorly then the next guy should be given a chance. Who cares?

Say what you want about McDermott - but I applaud him for his willingness to try something to turn around an anemic offense. It didn't work and it was wrong.

McDermott went for it and the conversion failed.

Welp now.  We hear that QB is the single most difficult, and the most important position on the team.  I could be mistaken, but I believe you've espoused that view.

Now it's just one position, Next Guy Up, who cares?

The crucifixion of Sean McDermott by the media is not odd; it's well-deserved IMO.  It's not just about taking a chance and having that chance not work.

1) He thought (or bought off on the thought) that a player was ready, who most clearly was not.  He's the guy who sees him in practice and has the best chance to know.  It throws his entire ability to evaluate players into doubt.

2) When he saw clear game-time evidence that the kid was not, in fact, ready, he still left him in until the game was way out of reach with 5 INT

3) I saw no evidence that the game plan was scripted in a way to give the rookie the best chance to succeed.  It looked to me like a plan you'd expect a mature QB to run.  If you're gonna "try something different" with a rookie, give him the best shot you can.

Nix and Gailey got it right that coaches who pay attention to the fans (and the media) when they make decisions, will find themselves joining them.

On the other hand, there's such a thing as outsmarting yourself by trying to prove you walk to your own beat and don't listen to naysayers and pundits

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Quarterback evaluation is a total crapshoot. You don't know how a QB is going to fair when his number is called. Finding fault with McDermott for how Peterman performed like he should've known that Peterman would have thrown 5 picks is disingenuous at best.

Disingenuous a bit may be seen in your mirror.

QB evaluation may be a bit of a crapshoot with regard to the draft.  The player has been successful in a college offense, against a college defense.  How he'll fare learning a pro offense and interpreting a pro defense is always a bit of an unknown, even if he's been in a "pro style" offense.  The game is faster.  You're playing against the top-2% of the college players, every down.

QB evaluation should not be a bit of a crapshoot, much less a total crapshoot, once a player has been through OTAs and training camp.  The Chargers evaluated Peterman's preseason film and knew what they could exploit.  It wasn't a "total crapshoot" to them, so why excuse it as a "total crapshoot" to the coaches who see Peterman in practice every day?

The first pick, I'll give them.  After picks  2 and 3, it was clear Peterman was way over his head.

6 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No one is calling it a media conspiracy. I take great offense to the Trump comparison.

There is long history of coaches, organizations, and fans foolishly downplaying the accomplishments of black athletes (especially quarterbacks) in the US, and inflating the accomplishments of White athletes who are far less talented. If you are unaware of this history, you should probably look at the career of Warren Moon.  A lot of those people, including myself, see the Tyrod benching along those lines. Why; lots of white QBs have played worse over stretches than Taylor has this year, and they did not lose their jobs to a 5th round rookie who proceeded to set an interception record. Take all the offense that you want to from the comparison, and to be clear (I am not calling you a racist). But this decision made the team look bad plain and simple, and if you think that all the negative press is bizarre, than you are, more likely than not, purposefully ignoring an uncomfortable history.    

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

There is long history of coaches, organizations, and fans foolishly downplaying the accomplishments of black athletes (especially quarterbacks) in the US, and inflating the accomplishments of White athletes who are far less talented. If you are unaware of this history, you should probably look at the career of Warren Moon.  A lot of those people, including myself, see the Tyrod benching along those lines. Why; lots of white QBs have played worse over stretches than Taylor has this year, and they did not lose their jobs to a 5th round rookie who proceeded to set an interception record. Take all the offense that you want to from the comparison, and to be clear (I am not calling you a racist). But this decision made the team look bad plain and simple, and if you think that all the negative press is bizarre, than you are, more likely than not, purposefully ignoring an uncomfortable history.    

Well McDermott is a skinhead so you may be on to something!

More hot takes.

People can lambaste the decision to switch to Peterman, but let's not forget why we switched to Peterman in the first place, Tyrod Taylor went 9/18 for 56 yards against the Saints at home in a "must win game". This isn't excusing the defense, but it doesn't help your defense when your offense only holds the ball for 18 minutes of the entire game and is getting off the field almost as soon as they get on. It's not hard to see why McDermott was worried about the future of the QB position after his starting QB who is supposed to be leading the team to the playoffs could not move the offense down the field to save his life. 

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

More hot takes.

Didn't call him that, nor did I call you that, but you are being defended by some dude with a Pepe avatar above -- which is the hot take company that you keep. 

Edited by MURPHD6

23559959_10214728069264422_9184233745397

He was lucky he didn't get picked off in the Saints game.  All the Chargers had to do was look at the tape.  He stares down his receivers.  I highly doubt they thought he was ready or that he gave us a better chance to win.  I think they believe they can mold a QB to their liking.  The stuff Tyrod does with non-existent recievers and bad pass protection he should get a medal for.  They'll find that out and it will probably be too late.

Edited by Maine-iac

28 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Didn't call him that, nor did I call you that, but you are being defended by some dude with a Pepe avatar above -- which is the hot take company that you keep. 

Don't know who this Pepe character is but no doubt he is a racist and therefore I must be too!

18 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

More hot takes.

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Don't know who this Pepe character is but no doubt he is a racist and therefore I must be too!

Ignorance and racism aren't the same thing. They are closely related, but different.