The overreaction toward McDermott from the media is why football coaches are so conservative

Wayne Arnold

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He looked pretty competent until our fullback let a ball go through his hands and into the arms of a defender. He shouldn't have thrown the second pick but it didn't result in anything worse than punting from the 1. The third pick was Jordan Mills being Jordan Mills. The fourth pick he was run into by Shady as he was throwing. By the fifth pick he was shell-shocked.

A mixture of bad luck, terrible teammates, and inexperience. Should the coaching staff have seen that coming? Debatable. 

Come on man, if TT played like that, you would have crucified him for months... Haha. He had no help, but he was awful with the exception of his first drive

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He looked pretty competent until our fullback let a ball go through his hands and into the arms of a defender. He shouldn't have thrown the second pick but it didn't result in anything worse than punting from the 1. The third pick was Jordan Mills being Jordan Mills. The fourth pick he was run into by Shady as he was throwing. By the fifth pick he was shell-shocked.

A mixture of bad luck, terrible teammates, and inexperience. Should the coaching staff have seen that coming? Debatable. 

This is one of the most hilarious posts I have ever seen on any football message board. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  People love to judge decisions based on outcomes instead of possible outcomes.

I wonder what the game would have looked like if Benjamin hadn't gone down immediately.  I'm sure he was a big part of their game plan.  After that, a pick six that wasn't Peterman's fault, and then to immediately have a pick when your hit.  I'm not sure many rookie QBs would be able to pick themselves up after that.

Having KB catch contested balls all day would be my game plan going into the game.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, fridge said:

This is my favorite take on the last week of Bills football.

We're getting killed out there and the coach tried to shake it up rather than take his team to the slaughterhouse.

He was making a scape goat, not shaking things up.

What did this defensive coach do to change his defense that has been torched for three weeks straight? Cut a meaningless DT? 

He's totally abandoned taking responsibility for 3 weeks now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Come on man, if TT played like that, you would have crucified him for months... Haha. He had no help, but he was awful with the exception of his first drive

Not if Taylor was a rookie replacing the mediocre third-year starter who was taking us nowhere.

I think they know the Dareus trade has effectively ended their season.  They are shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Without any defense they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.  Peterman was never going to score enough to win with this defense.  Worse yet that might be why I think he could actually start again next week.  They know this defense is incapable of winning most games.  If they don't know that Taylor gives them the best chance at winning when the defense is playing well then they shouldn't be coaching.  If the defense can't stop anyone then why not start evaluating players.  If they think the defense can get better then we'll see Taylor next week.

• Like (+1) 1

Looked competent?  Luckily for Peterman the entire team was incompetent so his subpar play, one of the worst in NFL History, isn't entirely on him (Tyrod faces similar constraints, but lets ignore that for a minute).  After all, his coaches are incompetent for thinking he could go out and win that game when he's surrounded by incompetence.  So I guess that's why coaches take so much ****, when their teams display incompetence they get called on it, and it's exactly what happened here.

Edited by bouds

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not excuses. Analysis.

Call it what you will.  You're trying to excuse away poor decsion making by a flawed, marginally talented rookie QB whose weaknesses were on full display. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not if Taylor was a rookie replacing the mediocre third-year starter who was taking us nowhere.

Well that's setting different standards though and making excuses because of his inexperience.

Rookie or 15 year pro, his performance was awful today.

I will agree he had no help, but neither has TT all year

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

He was making a scape goat, not shaking things up.

What did this defensive coach do to change his defense that has been torched for three weeks straight? Cut a meaningless DT? 

He's totally abandoned taking responsibility for 3 weeks now. 

How do you officially take responsibility? What do you want him to do?

I mean, these three games speak for themselves. I'm not defending his ability to coach, I'm defending his right to make bold decisions.

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So he looked good on one attempt? I agree that was a nice throw to Benjamin. That was like the only nice thing he did all day.  You can't be serious with this. The guy was throwing punts up when he should have taken sacks. And Tyrod dealt with the same terrible line and hasn't thrown as many interceptions all year

Just now, fridge said:

How do you officially take responsibility? What do you want him to do?

I mean, these three games speak for themselves. I'm not defending his ability to coach, I'm defending his right to make bold decisions.

Have you listened to his pressers?

And I feel like you keep confusing bold and aggressive as being synonymous with wrong. 4th and 2 from your own 30 or whatever is bold, letting the team score because you need the ball back is bold and aggressive. 

Throwing Peterman out there behind a crappy line against a good pass rushing defense at this point is just dumb.

I never said he didn't have the right to make that decision, you appear to be the one who wants to reject rights because you want to reject criticism. I don't recall anyone ever saying that he can't do it, just that it was odd or wrong. And those people have been shown to be right. I'm not sure you have a point at all here.

16 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So he looked good on one attempt? I agree that was a nice throw to Benjamin. That was like the only nice thing he did all day.  You can't be serious with this. The guy was throwing punts up when he should have taken sacks. And Tyrod dealt with the same terrible line and hasn't thrown as many interceptions all year

Have you listened to his pressers?

And I feel like you keep confusing bold and aggressive as being synonymous with wrong. 4th and 2 from your own 30 or whatever is bold, letting the team score because you need the ball back is bold and aggressive. 

Throwing Peterman out there behind a crappy line against a good pass rushing defense at this point is just dumb.

I never said he didn't have the right to make that decision, you appear to be the one who wants to reject rights because you want to reject criticism. I don't recall anyone ever saying that he can't do it, just that it was odd or wrong. And those people have been shown to be right. I'm not sure you have a point at all here.

Huh? You inferred a lot there. I'm not the OP, you realize that right?

I don't even know what you mean about rejecting criticism. Impossible to respond to, really.

11 minutes ago, fridge said:

Huh? You inferred a lot there. I'm not the OP, you realize that right?

I don't even know what you mean about rejecting criticism. Impossible to respond to, really.

Sorry, I just took you as the OP since you said you're defending his right to make bold decisions. So yea sorry, I made a lot of inferences because if thats all you can say like what are you even saying?

That's all you add? You don't explain it at all, who are you defending this right for Sean McDermott from that people are clamoring to take it away from him in vain?

Edit- still think most of the post holds up given what you said.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

He made the decision to start an unproven rookie QB that was drafted in the 5th round when his team was in playoff contention against one of the more talented defensive lines in the league when his franchise left tackle was out with an injury. In doing so he probably lost the respect of the locker room, and most certainly lost the respect of most of the league. If he wanted to roll the dice on Peterman, maybe, just maybe, he should have waited until he was at home with a functioning line, cause he may have just ruined this kid.

No wait its a media conspiracy. FAKE NEWS. FAKE NEWS.

39 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

If the defense can't stop anyone then why not start evaluating players.  

This was my take.  They are looking at 2018 and they know they don't want TT next year.  Why not see of Peterman is a possibility?  

Regardless what they say, MCBean has been about 2018 since preseason.  Now at least they know they need to draft a QB in first or second round.  Peterman is definitely NOT the guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1