Vic Carucci's Interesting Take On Why Tyrod Was Benched

BuffaloRush

2 hours ago, Luka said:

Sorry but Tyrod has been crap all year. 1st in 3 and outs. 30th in passing offense. That's on Tyrod.

Thank you!  So sick of the false narrative that Sunday was TT's first bad game.  He even stunk up the field in some of their wins too, folks - but the D with all their turnovers carried them.

He is at (last season) or near (4th this year) the bottom of the list for taking a long time to throw the ball - they have that stat now, and he's the worst.

He was making his OL look bad, and he was failing to see open targets.

During the Jets game, Tony Romo was practically crawling through the telestrator begging him to throw the damned ball sooner - IE when the receiver makes his cut and is briefly open!!!  Instead Tyrod waits for a perfectly open receiver (that rarely happens in the NFL) and gives the defenders time to recover.

He cost them a TD (and likely the game) against Cincy doing the same thing.  It's a continuous pattern.

Add to that the fact that when he does throw it, he's way too often off target, forcing the receivers to stop and reach up, down, or back for throws, eliminating their YAC chances.  His wild throws were well on the way to destroying Zay Jones' confidence.  Benching his sorry butt was a godsend for the WRs.

They are a better team with Peterman in there - period, and doubly so in a WCO that demands even more than average NFL quick decisions and throws.

Edited by BobChalmers

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The defense came back down to earth.  The lucky tips falling into Micah Hyde's hands went away.  The fumbles stopped falling at the feet of waiting Bills defensemen.  The short fields disappeared, as did the defensive points which allowed the offense to play conservatively.  Then we got to see ... again, for the third year ... what Tyrod is when Tyrod is forced to be a quarterback.

This was never a playoff team.  By design.  They had nearly every ball bounce their way, leading to a ridiculous turnover differential and five wins against teams that weren't playing well.

The last two weeks showed us who the Bills are.  And that's okay.  It's a thinly veiled tank and they simply weren't supposed to be that good.  And they're not.

Tyrod was benched because there is no way in hell that he will be the starter in 2018.  He was benched because there's no way in hell this team is going to win more than eight games, let along go to the playoffs.  He was benched because it was a responsible decision that allows the coaching staff to be able to assess Nate Peterman outside of practice and garbage time.

Tyrod was benched because he's a horrible starting quarterback in the NFL.  Period.

This ^

He was benched for just what they say, they want to win games.

Most troubling to me, and a highlight of TBN really, is this could have been written by anybody. A guy in a space capsule who never saw a game all year could write that. He apparently gets no added information at all from being a reporter with access to to the team and coaches.

17 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

For what it's worth, they make the same point here (interesting well informed discussion from a national point of view as well): 

It sounds like that in retrospect, Chris Simms cannot understand why Tampa would have benched the career mediocrity that was Brian Griese in favor of the awfulness that was Chris Simms.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoeF said:

Hey Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots, Colts and Dolphins -- if you keep #5 in the pocket and make him throw the football you probably win the game ...not that hard.  Surprised it took this long to figure it out.  This team was not a playoff team with Taylor and it's likely not one with Peterman...but it was worth a shot.  Vic's conspiracy theories are good fodder for water cooler talk -- but every team left on our schedule is capable of keeping Tyrod in the pocket except for maybe the Colts.

It didn't take this long. Teams figured it out around halfway through his first year. It's not that easy to do. Tyrod is quick and evasive.

Good defenses can do it, bad teams have trouble. 

Vic's right that they might have made the playoffs. Still might. The AFC is so bad this year someone might make them with an 8-8 record. And then be ejected the minute they face a good team.

I doubt the theory because I don't think the new management would feel compelled to do anything they didn't want to do. Even if they made the playoffs if they wanted to get rid of Tyrod, they would have done it, I think.

But it's not an impossible theory. Thought-provoking.

43 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

You're going to need 10 wins to get in and a tiebreaker. Let's not kid ourselves. 

Take a look at the standings in the AFC. Only six teams are NOT below .500.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry I got carried away 

Respectfully disagree 

The FO was never sold on TT.  

They offered him good money for a season one in which he underperformed.   

He he did not fit the system   

Performance not met.   

the NFL is a business 

I hope I don’t need to explain more

So much wrong with this.  He was not offered good money, he's always been underpaid as a starter here.

They stripped him of all his weapons and forced him to play in a system that it was obvious he would not fit in. The offense has been horribly managed by the coaching staff and the FO. It's the same thing rex did with the defense. 

So many of you are spinning this as a win-win when it's not. This decision could be what exactly springs the drought from 17 to 20.

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

They are a better team with Peterman in there - period, and doubly so in a WCO that demands even more than average NFL quick decisions and throws.

And this is based off? Him playing 2s and 3s? They could be better but saying it as though it's a certainty is teetering on stupidity.

It certainly can be debated at this point. No one has seen the guy play a meaningful snap. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

The defense came back down to earth.  The lucky tips falling into Micah Hyde's hands went away.  The fumbles stopped falling at the feet of waiting Bills defensemen.  The short fields disappeared, as did the defensive points which allowed the offense to play conservatively.  Then we got to see ... again, for the third year ... what Tyrod is when Tyrod is forced to be a quarterback.

This was never a playoff team.  By design.  They had nearly every ball bounce their way, leading to a ridiculous turnover differential and five wins against teams that weren't playing well.

The last two weeks showed us who the Bills are.  And that's okay.  It's a thinly veiled tank and they simply weren't supposed to be that good.  And they're not.

Tyrod was benched because there is no way in hell that he will be the starter in 2018.  He was benched because there's no way in hell this team is going to win more than eight games, let along go to the playoffs.  He was benched because it was a responsible decision that allows the coaching staff to be able to assess Nate Peterman outside of practice and garbage time.

Tyrod was benched because he's a horrible starting quarterback in the NFL.  Period.

This isn't a tank, disguised or not. There's no such thing in football.

And the one thing you can say about this administration is that they don't disguise things. They're open.

They've openly said is that their main goal is building a team that can consistently compete for a title but at the same time they're trying to win this year. Their actions back this up exactly. It's also quite clear that if there is a conflict and they must choose either long-term or short-term, they choose long-term. Which is a very very good thing.

Again, the Bills could go to the playoffs with eight wins this year in this poor playoff field. They could still easily pull that off. Throw out the four division leaders and the next two best teams are the Titans with six wins, the Bills with five, and then everybody else has four wins or less. They could still easily be a playoff team this year. I'm sure we're in agreement that even if they make the playoffs they won't go anywhere, but you can bet McDermott would work his ass off to try to put them in position to win. But they don't have the personnel.

47 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So much wrong with this.  He was not offered good money, he's always been underpaid as a starter here.

They stripped him of all his weapons and forced him to play in a system that it was obvious he would not fit in. The offense has been horribly managed by the coaching staff and the FO. It's the same thing rex did with the defense. 

So many of you are spinning this as a win-win when it's not. This decision could be what exactly springs the drought from 17 to 20.

And this is based off? Him playing 2s and 3s? They could be better but saying it as though it's a certainty is teetering on stupidity.

It certainly can be debated at this point. No one has seen the guy play a meaningful snap. 

He has certainly NOT been underpaid here. His contract makes him the 20th highest paid QB in the league in terms  of average money and he was higher last year. And he's generally considered between maybe 20th and 22nd best in the league. 

And they didn't force him to do squat. He could've left if he'd wanted.

Agreed that we don't know yet how this move will turn out, but IMHO it had to be done for a team whose priority is building to be a consistent winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

This isn't a tank, disguised or not. There's no such thing in football.

And the one thing you can say about this administration is that they don't disguise things. They're open.

They've openly said is that their main goal is building a team that can consistently compete for a title but at the same time they're trying to win this year. Their actions back this up exactly. It's also quite clear that if there is a conflict and they must choose either long-term or short-term, they choose long-term. Which is a very very good thing.

Again, the Bills could go to the playoffs with eight wins this year in this poor playoff field. They could still easily pull that off. Throw out the four division leaders and the next two best teams are the Titans with six wins, the Bills with five, and then everybody else has four wins or less. They could still easily be a playoff team this year. I'm sure we're in agreement that even if they make the playoffs they won't go anywhere, but you can bet McDermott would work his ass off to try to put them in position to win. But they don't have the personnel.

He has certainly NOT been underpaid here. His contract makes him the 20th highest paid QB in the league in terms  of average money and he was higher last year. And he's generally considered between maybe 20th and 22nd best in the league. 

And they didn't force him to do squat. He could've left if he'd wanted.

Agreed that we don't know yet how this move will turn out, but IMHO it had to be done for a team whose priority is building to be a consistent winner. 

He made 1.1 mil his first year as a starter, and 9.5 last year.... He's been underpaid as a starter. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

http://buffalonews.com/section/sports/bills/podcast/

I'd encourage everyone to listen to the Bills Blitz podcast.  Even though I don't like the BN Sports business model, the coverage is top notch as is this podcast from Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski.  I have always respected Vic and he's an extremely reliable source.  Keep in mind he brought up rumblings about Rex and Whaley getting fired nearly a year in advance.

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular.  His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years.  So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

It's an interesting thought.  Skurski argues that the coaching believes Peterman will run the offense better than Tyrod.  It's an interesting listen for sure.

So what are your thoughts on this?   Does Vic' idea seem plausible?  

I believe this kind of thinking was a factor in the decision. I think they knew they would have to move on from Tyrod, and the last 2 games provided a good excuse. I'msure other factors were involved, but that could have made the decision easier.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair, Tyrod only played terrible in the last game.  The Jets game, Tyrod was the only one who showed up to play, so not really fair to pin that on him.  

But as far as Vics take, I think its more than a theory, I think its very much a factor.  The Bills own a lot of picks next year, if they already know TT isnt the guy for them long term, nothing would make more sense right now than to switch to Peterman and give him enough time to see how heavy they need to go on a QB next year.  If Peterman comes in and finishes the year strong, it lessens the need to make a costly move to get a QB.  Sure they would still take one, but now they can sit back and take one where they feel comfortable and retain the draft capital to fix the other many holes on the team.  

If Peterman flops, so does our record which that alone would reduce the cost to acquire a QB as we may be able to get one with our first pick or make a less costly trade up to get their guy by not having to trade up as high.  

So really, its a win win for the draft next year regardless if NP excels or falls flat on his face.  Not to mention, we are still the 6th seed in the playoffs right now, if NP can spark this offense we may just break the playoff drought too.  If not, they have nothing to lose as he's a 5th round pick and easy to move onto a high profile draft pick next year.

Agree completely especially about his JEts performance. That wasn't on him. One thing you can always say about TT: He plays HARD. We should all appreciate that. His decision making is not great but he gave his all. I will miss the effort--I won't miss the 4 yard pass to Tolbert on 3rd and 14. 

I am not sure about Vic's take. I believe McD wants the playoffs now and he thinks Peterman can get them there, or at leaast they will find out what they have in him. 

Even if he plays decent through the balance of the season, I expect a QB competition next year. He's have to play lights out to lock up the job, and I don't expect that. TT is surely gone. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

http://buffalonews.com/section/sports/bills/podcast/

I'd encourage everyone to listen to the Bills Blitz podcast.  Even though I don't like the BN Sports business model, the coverage is top notch as is this podcast from Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski.  I have always respected Vic and he's an extremely reliable source.  Keep in mind he brought up rumblings about Rex and Whaley getting fired nearly a year in advance.

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular.  His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years.  So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

It's an interesting thought.  Skurski argues that the coaching believes Peterman will run the offense better than Tyrod.  It's an interesting listen for sure.

So what are your thoughts on this?   Does Vic' idea seem plausible?  

Not buying it. 

McDermott is not benching a QB he thinks is getting him to the playoffs. He knows tt is not improving and feels Peterman is a better QB

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Makes sense and is in line with what I've been saying... Tyrod got hosed.

They wanted nothing to do with him after this year and were basically setting him up to fail.

He didn’t get hosed.

The team wanted a more diverse passing offense, which anyone could see they needed after the last two seasons. Unfortunately, Taylor doesn’t pass all that well so he bombed out. Dennison tried to incorporate some concepts from last year to help him, but the bottom line is that if you want a better passing game then Taylor is not your QB. Obviously.

8 hours ago, simool said:

Right, your sources.  Well it is a bit different when you are posting under your real name like JW does and everyone knows you are not full of crap compared to total anonymity and a good six months of stirring the pot.

I will call BS on you and your sources.

Not for nothing - WHO on here uses a REAL name,  SIMOOL? 

8 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Not sure I agree with Carucci on this simply because it's a moot point since we weren't going to the playoffs with Taylor anyway. Also I've made contact with various sources today and they confirmed this change was more about how far along Peterman has come since training camp and has outplayed Taylor in practice for weeks and that this team simply needed a spark to keep their faint playoff hopes alive.

Hopefully in these next 7 games (and possibly more) Peterman shows why he has all the tools to be a franchise QB. My gut feeling tells me good things are about to happen regardless.

When you post hyberole like above. Have your "various sources" provide a verified link from OBD. It will help your street cred.. Currently you have none. 

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He made 1.1 mil his first year as a starter, and 9.5 last year.... He's been underpaid as a starter. 

OMG - REALLY?

Now I am going to lose sleep while feeling bad for the poor man.

I guess we could look at Tyrods benching as a GOOD thing for Tyrod. NOW he can go find a team that will appreciate him by paying him well.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive of each other.....it could very well be that McD and Beane didn't have any intentions of bringing Tyrod back next year and considering the team is still in the playoff picture, they decided to give Peterman the reins to see how he plays, and to have a better decision-making capability about what to do at the QB position next year. 

It's likely McD and Beane believe Peterman is better suited for the Offense and had half a season to get adjusted to NFL so now is the time to move him in and get him experience. The two issues could be linked, they could be separate ideas altogether or none of these things could be right. But, about Tyrod's future, that I don't think was really ever in question except to the national media. 

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Makes sense and is in line with what I've been saying... Tyrod got hosed.

They wanted nothing to do with him after this year and were basically setting him up to fail.

They wanted nothing to do with him this year, why would you think they would commit to him next year? You’re acting like Tyrod is signed to the team for the long term.

Tyrod is in no way, shape or form got hosed. He chose to come back to the Bills. The Bills declined his option, making Tyrod a FA, Tyrod could of gone to any other team. He didn’t. He came back. Dennison was already in as OC and the Bills were looking at other QBs. Tyrod knew exactly the type of offense he was coming back to.

Let me ask you this:  The Bills obviously have a plan on how they want to build this team. They had this plan before the resigned Taylor. They want to build long term. Should the Bills have built an offense around Taylor not knowing if he could step up and improve, or built an offense looking towards who they want to eventually be?

And btw I’m not a fan of the Dennison offense but this is what they chose to do.

Edited by Wayne Cubed