Bills will likely be thin at RB in Sunday

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would be wise for them to do so if Tolbert is out. Cadet is a decent add but he’s replacing Taiwan Jones - mainly a ST player and gadget guy. Not a 3rd down back or regular RB that can take 10-15 carries to spell Shady. Banyard also practiced with Peterman a lot in camp and preseason.

Well, Cadet is kind of a 3rd down and 6 kind of guy ... his only real skill is as a decent pass catcher out of the backfield.  As for those 3rd and 1s ... Nathan Peterman is a big boy!

17 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

We are going to have to throw to beat the Chargers and McDermott knows this from watching how LAC played D against JAX. They stacked the box with 8 and sometimes 9 guys and there was no room for Fournette, so much so that in a close game Bortles threw 51 times and Fournette was ineffective and taken out of the game in the 2nd half.

The way to beat the Chiefs, Pats, and Colts is to throw also. 

I think this is a little-mentioned reason for the QB change now - the next few games need a passing attack, esp. this Sunday as the Chargers bring an undersized DB corps against an over-sized group of receivers.

22 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Just looked at the free agents out there:

hillman

deangelo w

Ridley

Pierre Thomas 

Debate Robinson

id think one of these guys could hold the fort down at back up RB 

It funny I  just ran into DeAngelo Williams at best buy about an hour ago. That guy looks like he is in playing shape. Said he is working out every day, He talked about how good the Steelers looked yesterday and A brown's good game. How would he not be an upgrade over Tolbert?

On 16/11/2017 at 12:38 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never thought of it that way but it is a very apt description.  The Saints have two of the best RBs in the NFL but they picked up Williams, we on the other hand will likely be playing Travares Cadet, a NY Jet castoff.

Well first you might want to see if they actually use him and not just keep him In case of emergency. They picked him up cause they lost a backup to injury and one of their backup options just signed with the Bills. They didn't pick him up to run 3 RBs, and he wasn't even playing in Denver, yet Bills fans drool over how amazing this guy is and it's such a mistake to not have him here as part of the offence.

Laughing about the Bills picking up a Jets cast off would be the same thing as the Broncos and Saints picking up Williams, a bills castoff

I feel like the Bills have missed the boat big time regarding running backs.  A lot of questionable decisions have been made.

Cutting J Will?  Promoting Tolbert to RB2 when in the past he has played fullback?  Never trying to utilize the player that they kept instead of J Will (Banyard)?  Continuing to use Tolbert despite subpar play?  Getting Cadet instead of just bringing back the obvious choice (Banyard)?  Citing special teams contributions as being important for Tolbert's spot despite what has appeared to be a lack of special teams contributions?

I'm loving Beane and McDermott to this point. However, I can't for the life of me understand what they're doing at running back.

It's a dime-a-dozen position. There are many athletic running backs out there on the street working out who could step in, find some holes and break some tackles. 

I just don't get it.

I know Deangelo Williams is really long in the tooth but he couldn't give us anything?

Just saw a stat on twitter that the Bills are #2 in the NFL with 73 runs that have went for no gain or negative yardage (Rams are first but they are an offensive juggernaut with their passing game).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is yet another reason for the QB change because obviously teams know we didn't have a QB that could or would back them off from stacking the line up scrimmage. Also going to predict with Peterman this changes pretty quick as soon as he proves he will throw WR's open and anticipate where guys should be.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol.

Im confused as to why it worked so well the last two years with that QB who couldn't back teams from stacking the LOS?

Probably because teams have enough film on Taylor. The book is out so to speak on how to stop him.

In his defense though obviously he did have that Losman/Lee Evans type of chemistry with Watkins though but at some point you have to prove you can do more than throw a nice deep ball from time to time.

The return of Baynard?  

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol.

Im confused as to why it worked so well the last two years with that QB who couldn't back teams from stacking the LOS?

But did it?  For every good game Taylor had he also had some bad ones and some poor stretches and half's.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcus Murphy get promoted from the practice squad for the game.

Otherwise, these free agents have worked with Dennison before:

Jonathan Grimes, 5-10, 210 (Age 27)

Ronnie Hillman, 5-9, 200 (Age 26)

Practice Squaders (rookies in bold):

49ers - Jeremy McNichols, 5-9, 215 (rookie - Boise State, 5th round pick)

Bengals - Jarveon Williams, 5-8, 200 (rookie - UTEP, unrated)

Browns - Josh Rounds, 5-11, 205 (rookie - Tulane, unrated)

Chiefs - George Atkinson, 6-1, 220 (Age 24)

Cowboys - Trey Williams, 5-8, 195 (Age 24)

Dolphins - De’Veon Smith, 5-11, 225 (rookie - Michigan, #311)

Jaguars - Brandon Wilds, 6-2, 220 (Age 24)

Jets - Akeem Judd, 5-11, 225 (rookie - Ole Miss, #768)

Panthers - Jalen Simmons, 5-8, 210 (Age 25)

Raiders - Elijah Hood, 6-0, 230 (rookie - North Carolina, 7th round pick)

Ravens - John Crockett, 6-0, 215 (Age 25)

Redskins - LeShun Daniels, 5-11, 220 (rookie - Iowa, #517)

Steelers - Fitzgerald Toussaint, 5-10, 200 (Age 27)

Titans - Khalfani Muhammad, 5-7, 170 (rookie - California, 7th round pick)

Other Free Agents:

Denard Robinson, 5-11, 200 (Age 27)

Antonio Andrews, 5-10, 225 (Age 25)

Bobby Rainey, 5-8, 205 (Age 30)

Daryl Richardson, 5-10, 192 (Age 27)

Stepfan Taylor, 5-9, 215 (Age 26)

Dujuan Harris, 5-9, 200 (Age 29)

James Starks, 6-1, 200 (Age 31)

Justin Forsett, 5-8, 190 (Age 32)

Antone Smith, 5-9, 190 (Age 32)

George Winn, 5-11, 220 (Age 27)

Joe Banyard