Jon Gruden

JoshBarnett

So I know someone mentioned Gruden's love for Peterman as a gag complete with the laughing emoji in another thread, but as we gathered national voices on Peterman and the move yesterday, we did talk to Gruden. And here you go ... 

I like Peterman for a lot of reasons. I compare him to Andy Dalton and I consider that a great compliment. He’s intelligent. He’s football savvy. He’s more athletic than people think. He’s an accurate passer and he has toughness. Those are qualities I always looked for – athletic, accurate arm talent, plus some natural leadership skills. He’s got a lot of good stuff.

He came out of the huddle and played in two different systems. He graduated from college. I think he has multiple degrees. After working with him at QB Camp, I just felt I could give him the entire playbook, and I bet I could make 17 adjustments after the first three practices and it wouldn’t faze him a bit.

I watched him in the preseason. I pay a lot of attention to the rookies. I saw him against the Eagles and the Vikings and he had a heck of a preseason. I think that stuck in the minds of coach and the offensive staff. They remember what he did.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/15/jon-gruden-on-nathan-peterman-hes-got-a-lot-of-good-stuff-about-him/

Carry on ... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is a fun game:  Find any one QB...just one...that went on Grudens QB Camp show where he gave them a weak or bad review.  

Its a puff piece segment, he loves all the guys on the show.  Agent's will NOT let any of their players go on that show if there is a possibility it could hurt their draft stock.  He has to a rosy piece on every single player otherwise no one would do the show, thats the nature of TV.  

And he's had massive love affairs beyond normal of guys like Tebow and Manziel too.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, JoshBarnett said:

So I know someone mentioned Gruden's love for Peterman as a gag complete with the laughing emoji in another thread, but as we gathered national voices on Peterman and the move yesterday, we did talk to Gruden. And here you go ... 

I like Peterman for a lot of reasons. I compare him to Andy Dalton and I consider that a great compliment. He’s intelligent. He’s football savvy. He’s more athletic than people think. He’s an accurate passer and he has toughness. Those are qualities I always looked for – athletic, accurate arm talent, plus some natural leadership skills. He’s got a lot of good stuff.

He came out of the huddle and played in two different systems. He graduated from college. I think he has multiple degrees. After working with him at QB Camp, I just felt I could give him the entire playbook, and I bet I could make 17 adjustments after the first three practices and it wouldn’t faze him a bit.

I watched him in the preseason. I pay a lot of attention to the rookies. I saw him against the Eagles and the Vikings and he had a heck of a preseason. I think that stuck in the minds of coach and the offensive staff. They remember what he did.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/15/jon-gruden-on-nathan-peterman-hes-got-a-lot-of-good-stuff-about-him/

Carry on ... 

Thank you Josh for this post.   

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is a fun game:  Find any one QB...just one...that went on Grudens QB Camp show where he gave them a weak or bad review.  

Its a puff piece segment, he loves all the guys on the show.  Agent's will NOT let any of their players go on that show if there is a possibility it could hurt their draft stock.  He has to a rosy piece on every single player otherwise no one would do the show, thats the nature of TV.  

And he's had massive love affairs beyond normal of guys like Tebow and Manziel too.  

Please take this to the other thread.  Josh is a professional.   I'll take his word over people who may be biased Tyrod fans 

this wasn't directed only at Alphadog, but the other that piled on, 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

OK, we get it.  Gruden likes every QB. However, I don't dismissive everything he says because of this.  I think we all can all admit it's interesting to hear his point of view regarding Peterman's positive qualities (which ironically are qualities everyone is saying TT lacks). So thank you for posting Josh. It would be nice if Peterman can continue showing these qualities in non-garbage time against a 1st sting D-fense. We shall see...

1 minute ago, Bad Things Man said:

OK, we get it.  Gruden likes every QB. However, I don't dismissive everything he says because of this.  I think we all can all admit it's interesting to hear his point of view regarding Peterman's positive qualities (which ironically are qualities everyone is saying TT lacks). So thank you for posting Josh. It would be nice if Peterman can continue showing these qualities in non-garbage time against a 1st sting D-fense. We shall see...

nicely put.  Josh did not have to come here and post this.  He felt it needed to be said. again I thank him for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thank you Josh for this post.   

Please take this to the other thread.  Josh is a professional.   I'll take his word over people who may be biased Tyrod fans 

Take to what thread?  I commented on this thread.  

Jon Gruden is NOT a professional when it comes to evaluating these QB's who appear on his show.  Thats not how TV works...yes Jon is a professional overall, but his show is not there to FAIRLY evaluate the player, its STRICTLY a meet and great type show for the audience to showcase ONLY the positives about the player.  He actually can't be negative about the player...literally and contractually.  

Which is fine, his QB Camp is not pretending to be something that its not.  It's there to talk about the kids positively and get some quality tips by Gruden for the kids at the next level.  But under no circumstance is Gruden ever going to say the kid cant make it, isnt going to be a starter, doesn't have the tools, etc.  So for anyone to put a bunch of stock into his positive spin on 100% of all players he works with on his show is foolish.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Basing anything on Gruden's QB Camp sessions with any prospect is not advisable since he loves them all. 

Unless I misunderstood the OP he said they talked to many pundits since the Peterman move was made and Gruden was one of those voices. So this didn't come from QB camp. While I do think that's an important distinction I'm not sure it's enough to totally just buy what Gruden is selling either.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

John Gruden is NOT a professional when it comes to evaluating these QB's who appear on his show.  Thats not how TV works...yes John is a professional overall, but his show is not there to FAIRLY evaluate the player, its STRICTLY a meet and great type show for the audience to showcase ONLY the positives about the player.  He actually can't be negative about the player...literally and contractually.  

Which is fine, his QB Camp is not pretending to be something that its not.  It's there to talk about the kids positively and get some quality tips by Gruden for the kids at the next level.  But under no circumstance is Gruden ever going to say the kid cant make it, isnt going to be a starter, doesn't have the tools, etc.  So for anyone to put a bunch of stock into his positive spin on 100% of all players he works with on his show is foolish.  

Read Josh's first line 

So I know someone mentioned Gruden's love for Peterman as a gag complete with the laughing emoji in another thread, 

Gruden on Peterman

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Read Josh's first line 

So I know someone mentioned Gruden's love for Peterman as a gag complete with the laughing emoji in another thread, 

Again, Jon is not going to contradict previous comments, especially ahead of that rookies first start.  He is bound to his duties on and off the segment, any comments made after the fact are going to need to be consistent with his "evaluation" comments on his segment.  This isn't that complicated bro...

Furthermore, I like Gruden, and I enjoy his camp segments as it does show the promising side of prospects.  But again, nothing he says about prospects who appear on the show is going to come from a negative place.  

30 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Gruden seems to love just about every QB but it's not a secret most pundits and experts had a much higher grade on NP than 5th round, some projecting as high as late 1st/high 2nd rounder.

Certainly, any view of a fella going by SaviorPeterman I take as 100% objective.

J/k, I am hoping we found the proverbial overlooked gem.  At minimum, Peterman's skill set matches WCO much better than Tyrod's.

37 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Gruden seems to love just about every QB but it's not a secret most pundits and experts had a much higher grade on NP than 5th round, some projecting as high as late 1st/high 2nd rounder.

I like NP as a prospect but there are ZERO scouts who had a first round grade on him 

he physical attributes don't warrant it. 

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

John Gruden is NOT a professional when it comes to evaluating these QB's who appear on his show.  Thats not how TV works...yes John is a professional overall, but his show is not there to FAIRLY evaluate the player, its STRICTLY a meet and great type show for the audience to showcase ONLY the positives about the player.  He actually can't be negative about the player...literally and contractually.  

You've seen Gruden's contract with ESPN?